Round #1 Westen Conference: Winnipeg Jets(C2) vs St. Louis Blues (C3)

pilldoc

Round #1 Westen Conference: Winnipeg Jets(C2) vs St. Louis Blues (C3)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Jets sweep
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Blues sweep
    • Blues in 5
    • Blues in 6
    • Blues in 7

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Your crazy to say they have the superior lineup.  Better than Teresenko, O'Reilly, Swartz, Steen, Perron, Pietrangelo, and the list goes on.  Laime is the only guy in that class.  Do you think I am worried about one loss over lucky bounce goals?  Worried about baby face Maurice and his 1965 glass's?  And Bygoonlien should be banned longer than Kadri.  He is the dirtiest damn player in the NHL

Lol, where to start. First, Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor are directly comparable to O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Schenn. Pietrangelo, while bigger, is basically like Trouba. Laine has the best shot in the history of the game of hockey. He can't skate a lick, so that prevents him from scoring 100 goals. Plus he's 20. Buff is not dirty, he's just big. He could kill people every night, but chooses not to. He generally lets up on his hits so as not to kill them.

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Your crazy to say they have the superior lineup.  Better than Teresenko, O'Reilly, Swartz, Steen, Perron, Pietrangelo, and the list goes on.  Laime is the only guy in that class.  Do you think I am worried about one loss over lucky bounce goals?  Worried about baby face Maurice and his 1965 glass's?  And Bygoonlien should be banned longer than Kadri.  He is the dirtiest damn player in the NHL

Not for me to say whether you're worried or not.  And yes, I'd take the Jets blueline and their 12 forwards as a group over the Blues any day of the week.  Also not saying a superior lineup means the Jets will win - just that they have a stronger group.

Buff is a one of a kind and I hated how he turned the Chicago/Philly finals, but man - I have come to appreciate him in Winnipeg.  I like him more than most Jets fans. 

14 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Buff is a one of a kind and I hated how he turned the Chicago/Philly finals, but man - I have come to appreciate him in Winnipeg.  I like him more than most Jets fans. 

I thought most Jets fans loved Buff? He drives you nuts for sure, like when he starts floating around center when he should be in his end porch-clearing, so I could see people harping on that. But I thought most Jets fans absolutely adored him. 

32 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I thought most Jets fans loved Buff? He drives you nuts for sure, like when he starts floating around center when he should be in his end porch-clearing, so I could see people harping on that. But I thought most Jets fans absolutely adored him. 

Jets fans are like Flyers fans, so they'll turn on a guy just like that.  I've tried to talk a lot of guys down from the ledge who wanted to trade Buff (moreso prior to his re-signing) and Laine this year.  Because I have that one degree of separation (being a Flyers fan) I'm able to look at the Jets with a little more clarity than the fanatics. 

5 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Jets fans are like Flyers fans, so they'll turn on a guy just like that.  I've tried to talk a lot of guys down from the ledge who wanted to trade Buff (moreso prior to his re-signing) and Laine this year.  Because I have that one degree of separation (being a Flyers fan) I'm able to look at the Jets with a little more clarity than the fanatics. 

Yeah I hear ya. I have many friends who are Jets fans of course. One of whom was advocating to trade Laine basically since the All Star break. I resisted, of course, because I do believe he has the best shot in the history of the game (I don't even think it's that close really), but he started to win me over a bit in March/April because Laine, when he's bad, is really bad. Like an absolute liability. Like last year vs VGK in the playoffs, when he should not rightly have been on the ice.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I hear ya. I have many friends who are Jets fans of course. One of whom was advocating to trade Laine basically since the All Star break. I resisted, of course, because I do believe he has the best shot in the history of the game (I don't even think it's that close really), but he started to win me over a bit in March/April because Laine, when he's bad, is really bad. Like an absolute liability. Like last year vs VGK in the playoffs, when he should not rightly have been on the ice.

I don't understand why people want to trade players who are uniquely talented.  While I agree that Laine was on his way to playing for a bridge contract, I feel I have to remind people that he doesn't turn 21 until later this month.  He's also a Finn (and not a Russian) and they don't have a long history of just giving up.  Add to the mix that he's 6'5 and scores goals that no one else can (I think the game 3 goal has been sadly ignored, because that was one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen and he made it look easy) and you've got to show some patience.  I would have traded him for Mark Stone (if Stone signed a fresh contract), though.

1 minute ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I think the game 3 goal has been sadly ignored, because that was one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen and he made it look easy

This one? 

Yeah, that's a play hardly anybody can make. Good catch.

3 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I would have traded him for Mark Stone (if Stone signed a fresh contract), though.

Funny, this is where I landed with my buddy who wanted Laine traded. You have to give to get and all that. But he is uniquely talented in ways that can't really be taught. And all the things he needs to get better at (skating mainly) can be taught. Hard to trade him knowing that. Plus, as you say, he's a a Finn who likes Winnipeg winters.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This one? 

Yeah, that's a play hardly anybody can make. Good catch.

Yup, that's the one.  He's definitely got the mojo right now, because a month ago he whiffs on that or doesn't even get to that spot.  Most players with mojo don't score that goal, though.

1 minute ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Most players with mojo don't score that goal, though.

That is true. It wasn't really a pass, at least not of the nice saucer variety that most players would require to even attempt that all in one motion play. Unreal actually

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That is true. It wasn't really a pass, at least not of the nice saucer variety that most players would require to even attempt that all in one motion play. Unreal actually

Plus he was kind of turned the wrong way getting to that spot.  It really is pretty incredible and I thought his game 1 snipe was pretty impressive.  I think he hits a lot of posts because he picks 3 inch targets.  Now, after all my cheerleading, if he asks for 7 X 10 million come July, my opinion of keeping/trading might change, because he's not a 10 mil per year guy yet.

7 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Plus he was kind of turned the wrong way getting to that spot.  It really is pretty incredible and I thought his game 1 snipe was pretty impressive.  I think he hits a lot of posts because he picks 3 inch targets.  Now, after all my cheerleading, if he asks for 7 X 10 million come July, my opinion of keeping/trading might change, because he's not a 10 mil per year guy yet.

When he's got the mojo going he's incredibly accurate. No, he should get $7.125 x 7 or something like that. Which is only a ton of money. What are his main expenses these days? Video games?

EDIT: I have no clue about contracts. None. Zilch.

3 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I wonder if Binnington will be thinking about this when the Jets are down low now.  You can make the argument that Buff made him his (female dog) here:

I don't see how he can't. Personally, I love shots from those areas, usually at the feet, causes great chaos and is much preferable to the blind pass to the low slot. I think the Jets need to shoot more just generally and I hope that's the lesson they took from Game 3.

15 hours ago, Podein25 said:

When he's got the mojo going he's incredibly accurate. No, he should get $7.125 x 7 or something like that. Which is only a ton of money. What are his main expenses these days? Video games?

EDIT: I have no clue about contracts. None. Zilch.

Go ahead and give him that 8 year deal the kid is only 21 and if you can lock him up till 29 i am doing it. Few people i give that type of deal but i would be ok with it with him. I mean he is already a one time 40 goal scorer with only 3 years in the league.

I would roll the dice on giving him 10 mill especially if Mark Stone got 9.5 mill. Give the man his money.

By the time he is 25 this will look like a steal.

Looks like they are making this a series which is good....Blues are scoring issues.

So glad the Flyers traded Brayden Schenn....zero points in 4 games and -3!

#bestplayernotinthenhl

Absolutely the most fun series to watch hands down bar none. Neither team giving an inch, every puck touch is contested, stars are playing like stars, role players stepping up, love it. Cant wait for game five.

It appears that to some extent the Jets have countered the Blues with serious pushback of their own especially the Connor Line but the road team has won every game so far. I believe whoever wins game five wins the series in six games, wow what a fun magnificent series.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So glad the Flyers traded Brayden Schenn....zero points in 4 games and -3!

Who is this person B. Schenn that they speak of?????????

He has already been erased from my data bank .....   

To all the Blues Fans and HJ ....by the way Morgan Frost says hello!  :blowingakiss:

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Who is this person B. Schenn that they speak of?????????

He has already been erased from my data bank .....   

To all the Blues Fans and HJ ....by the way Morgan Frost says hello!  :blowingakiss:

Don't forget college's top freshman Farabee!

45 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Actually, I was pretty impressed with Farabee - he's lightning fast.  Too bad he can't stay healthy.

I think you have him mixed up with O'Brien.

They played 38 games this season Joel played in 37 so that as a true freshman is a solid season especially from a health standpoint.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Absolutely the most fun series to watch hands down bar none. Neither team giving an inch, every puck touch is contested, stars are playing like stars, role players stepping up, love it. Cant wait for game five.

It appears that to some extent the Jets have countered the Blues with serious pushback of their own especially the Connor Line but the road team has won every game so far. I believe whoever wins game five wins the series in six games, wow what a fun magnificent series.

Last night's game was just a fantastic hockey game. If aliens visited us and wanted to understand the game of ice hockey (after they were done anally probing us, of course), that's the game I would show them. Fast, hard hitting, great goaltending, lots of passion, plenty of chirping, all of it, wonderful stuff.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think you have him mixed up with O'Brien.

They played 38 games this season Joel played in 37 so that as a true freshman is a solid season especially from a health standpoint.

Actually, I was talking about Fabbri.  Tired from staying up late to watch OT last night.

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Last night's game was just a fantastic hockey game. If aliens visited us and wanted to understand the game of ice hockey (after they were done anally probing us, of course), that's the game I would show them. Fast, hard hitting, great goaltending, lots of passion, plenty of chirping, all of it, wonderful stuff.

I mentioned to several people that yes, boston/Toronto is a fun series full of history and hate but THIS is the series to watch and the two clearly do not like each other one little bit. East Coast bias and lazy reporting is why the Leafs/Bruins are getting more pub than this one, just an incredible series.

Archived