Round #1 Western Conference: San Jose Sharks (C2) vs. Vegas Golden Knights (C3)

pilldoc

Round #1 Western Conference: San Jose Sharks (C2) vs. Vegas Golden Knights (C3)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Sharks sweep
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7
    • Knights sweep
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7

I don't think I've ever seen a 5 minute major go like that. Holy cr4p.

Congrats to the Sharks but more so that idiot Eakin for the undisciplined, Un-needed crosscheck at a face off of all things.

He just handed the Sharks the series on a silver platter. He gave them the biggest spark imaginable.

Vegas had themselves in a good spot and was containing the Sharks....Until 'Cody' Happens..

That makes it official, 1st time ever I've gone 0-4 in the 1st round West picks. Lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Holy comeback Batman!

so what is your unbiased opinion about the Pavelski hit?  After all that changed the entire complexity of the game and series...... just curious.

14 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I don't think I've ever seen a 5 minute major go like that. Holy cr4p.

Congrats to the Sharks but more so that idiot Eakin for the undisciplined, Un-needed crosscheck at a face off of all things.

He just handed the Sharks the series on a silver platter. He gave them the biggest spark imaginable.

Vegas had themselves in a good spot and was containing the Sharks....Until 'Cody' Happens..

That makes it official, 1st time ever I've gone 0-4 in the 1st round West picks. Lol

Mmmm maybe. It was a cross check but a 5:00 major?  That said, while I think the call was bad there is now way I pin this game on that. You do not give up FOUR goals on that PP in that spot if you are Vegas. 1? OK. 2? Forgivable. 4?!?!?! 

Bad call. Not the reason VGK lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Mmmm maybe. It was a cross check but a 5:00 major?  That said, while I think the call was bad there is now way I pin this game on that. You do not give up FOUR goals on that PP in that spot if you are Vegas. 1? OK. 2? Forgivable. 4?!?!?! 

Bad call. Not the reason VGK lost.

It was the hit (and the end result) that was such an intense motivator for SJ. It incensed the crowd that had become quiet, Vegas couldn't call a time out to reset at any point. (Or didn't...I thought I heard there was no time outs in OT) 

Everything happened so fast and snowballed.

Yes, Vegas collapsed under such a crazy series of events.

Just now, ClusterChuck said:

It was the hit (and the end result) that was such an intense motivator for SJ. It incensed the crowd that had become quiet, Vegas couldn't call a time out to reset at any point. (Or didn't...I thought I heard there was no time outs in OT) 

Everything happened so fast and snowballed.

Yes, Vegas collapsed under such a crazy series of events.

I get it.  Not sure what the situation was with the timeout if you mean stopping the momentum on the 5:00 PP (it wasn't OT though).

Vegas collapsed (and yet rallied to tie and lot in OT).  They can whine all they want about that call.  Cup-worthy teams don't blow 3 goal leads with 10 minutes left in a Game 7 under any circumstances (OK - maybe a 5:00 5 on 3).

• Like 1

I think in today's NHL, the crosscheck on Pavelski is a major penalty. Vegas is lucky that there wasn't a call against Stastny for crosschecking as well. Vegas can not like the call all they want, but it is a penalty, and worthy of a game's suspension for Eakin and Stastny. This loss is on them, not the refs. They had a 3-0 lead and were in complete control, and their speed was wearing down San Jose's defense. You don't like the call? Boo hoo. Kill it off, all 5 minutes of it, and don't feel sorry for yourselves, Vegas. It was a stupid and unnecessary play for Eakin, and I think just as much if not more for Stastny, who didn't even get a penalty. What a comeback by the Sharks and worthy of losing a little sleep because of.

Edited by FD19372

35 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I think in today's NHL, the crosscheck on Pavelski is a major penalty. Vegas is lucky that there wasn't a call against Stastny for crosschecking as well. Vegas can not like the call all they want, but it is a penalty, and worthy of a game's suspension for Eakin and Stastny. This loss is on them, not the refs. They had a 3-0 lead and were in complete control, and their speed was wearing down San Jose's defense. You don't like the call? Boo hoo. Kill it off, all 5 minutes of it, and don't feel sorry for yourselves, Vegas. It was a stupid and unnecessary play for Eakin, and I think just as much if not more for Stastny, who didn't even get a penalty. What a comeback by the Sharks and worthy of losing a little sleep because of.

We argued a bit about the reffing last night in chat and I'm compelled to continue to argue with you. 

First off, it is not at all clear that is a penalty never mind a major in "today's NHL." Ironically, cross-checking - of a certain kind - is currently more tolerated than ever, because of the move away from hitting from behind. You see this in the corners all the time now, the "cross-check" (push) to the lower back, whereas in the past you just came flying in and laid the body. 

Second, Stastny's involvement is incidental at best and more importantly a hockey play. His job - his only job - on that faceoff is to get to the point where the puck went since Pavelski won the draw. He has no way to know, or care, that Pavelski has been knocked off balance and is vulnerable (he was). He is trying to fight through the traffic and get to his man and prevent a shot from getting through. What, prey tell, is he supposed to do there? Wait for Pavelski to move out of the way for him?!

Third, the cross-check (push) by Eakin to the chest of Pavelski is a play that happens all the time on faceoffs. Go back and watch Lindros take draws. On draws he loses, even on ones he won, he pushes forward with all 230 lbs of his frame into the other center. It's not always a blatant cross check like that, but often it his actually, if only because of how you have to hold your stick on a faceoff (with bottom hand often turned backward).

It is unbelievable to me that anyone can think otherwise. In fact, I guarantee that if Pavelski is not injured on that play we are not having this conversation. It was nothing but a freak accident in a tough game of hockey.

EDIT: I did a quick search and submit as Exhibit A the following: 

Edited by Podein25
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

We argued a bit about the reffing last night in chat and I'm compelled to continue to argue with you. 

First off, it is not at all clear that is a penalty never mind a major in "today's NHL." Ironically, cross-checking - of a certain kind - is currently more tolerated than ever, because of the move away from hitting from behind. You see this in the corners all the time now, the "cross-check" (push) to the lower back, whereas in the past you just came flying in and laid the body. 

Second, Stastny's involvement is incidental at best and more importantly a hockey play. His job - his only job - on that faceoff is to get to the point where the puck went since Pavelski won the draw. He has no way to know, or care, that Pavelski has been knocked off balance and is vulnerable (he was). He is trying to fight through the traffic and get to his man and prevent a shot from getting through. What, prey tell, is he supposed to do there? Wait for Pavelski to move out of the way for him?!

Third, the cross-check (push) by Eakin to the chest of Pavelski is a play that happens all the time on faceoffs. Go back and watch Lindros take draws. On draws he loses, even on ones he won, he pushes forward with all 230 lbs of his frame into the other center. It's not always a blatant cross check like that, but often it his actually, if only because of how you have to hold your stick on a faceoff (with bottom hand often turned backward).

It is unbelievable to me that anyone can think otherwise. In fact, I guarantee that if Pavelski is not injured on that play we are not having this conversation. It was nothing but a freak accident in a tough game of hockey.

EDIT: I did a quick search and submit as Exhibit A the following: 

Absolutely agree with everything.  I argued the very same thing in the thread I started.  It is very unfortunate that Pavelski got hurt.  I am not absolving the Knights giving up 4 goals on the major, HOWEVER there is a HUGE difference between a 2 minute minor and a 5 minute major.  If the Knights give up a PP Goal on a 2 minute  minor they regroup and limit the damage.  Once the Sharks scored not once but twice on the Major penalty....they were like real sharks smelling blood in the water and going for the jugular.

Sadly this will be debated for the weeks and months to come .......could you imagine what this board would be like if this call went against the Flyers like this ....holy hell we would be hitting critical mass .......

• Like 3

Ref saw the cross-check and then looked back and saw a bloody half out cold mess on the ice. It probably would not have been a major if not for the unfortunate way he landed and went limp.

Vegas got away with murder the first 5 games and pavelski often gets back alley mugged. After years of seeing things like stalock get speared and physically pushed into the met with the puck, I am glad to be on the other end of this call for once