Willie Desjardins canned

yave1964

The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.

I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.

So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up this roster many of the players still with years remaining on their contracts. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez are all on the wrong side of 30, so are dustin Brown and Phaneuf Trevor Lewis, in other words half the roster. And the young players, lets face it aren't an interesting bunch, they are 3rd liners and 3rd pair defenders with little upside. So whoever takes this thankless job better hope they did enough losing for Hughes.

38 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.

I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.

So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up this roster many of the players still with years remaining on their contracts. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez are all on the wrong side of 30, so are dustin Brown and Phaneuf Trevor Lewis, in other words half the roster. And the young players, lets face it aren't an interesting bunch, they are 3rd liners and 3rd pair defenders with little upside. So whoever takes this thankless job better hope they did enough losing for Hughes.

Hughes can't help that mess. 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, yave1964 said:

Kings firing multiple coaches so soon provides unnecessary busywork for an organization that clearly needs to slap its roster around. Adding such instability to an already struggling team also risks prolonging needed recovery. Find a good longterm coach and let him establish his system so he has a chance to succeed when team personnel improves. 

6 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

Kings firing multiple coaches so soon provides unnecessary busywork for an organization that clearly needs to slap its roster around. Adding such instability to an already struggling team also risks prolonging needed recovery. Find a good longterm coach and let him establish his system so he has a chance to succeed when team personnel improves. 

I simply do not understand why Sutter is never mentioned in anyone's list of coaching candidates whenever they make a change. I dont know what more the guy needed to do.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I simply do not understand why Sutter is never mentioned in anyone's list of coaching candidates whenever they make a change. I dont know what more the guy needed to do.

Maybe this?

After talking with his family, Sutter said he decided he would no longer pursue NHL coaching positions.

"I love my schedule now," he said. "That's the best way to put it. I enjoy watching the game on TV and I pull for certain players and I'm totally at peace with not coaching."

https://www.nhl.com/news/darryl-sutter-retires-as-nhl-coach/c-299135284

On 4/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, yave1964 said:

the game has passed too many thirty somethings by.

Sounds like a job for Dave Tippett.

He took a Yotes team full of them to the WCF in 2011-12.

The guys he had:

Ray Whitney 39

Radim Vrbata 30

Shane Doan 34

Daymond Langkow 34

Derek Morris 33

Michal Rozsival 32

Jason Labarbera 31

Taylor Pyatt 30

Mike Smith 30

Antoine Vermette 29

Radoslav Klesla  29

Raffi Torres 29

That is an old team.

He could do it for the Kings and and he would have more to work with.

He has a knack for getting the most out of what he has.

But they need to strike fast because the Flyers are sniffing around on Dave too.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Ahhh, that helps, a lot. I felt he was unceremoniously moved out by the Kings and his body of work proves he deserves another shot in the NHL, you dont get to leave the game on your own terms very often, good to see him happy in what sounds like retirement of his choosing.

@OccamsRazor

Listening to Elliott Friedman he seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that Todd Mclellan is the next coach of the Kings unless the Sabres give him an absolutely ridiculous contract. Friedman says Mac essentially has his choice of where he wants to coach and that he is by nature a West coast guy and unless the Sabres back up a truck of Pegula bucks to his doorstep Mac will pick the Kings. I listen to waaay to many of these podcasts and talking heads but Friedman seems to get much more right than wrong.

I dont understand the love for McLellan to be honest. He coached an underachieving Sharks team for years a team with as much talent squandered year after year as any team in the game, they didn't make it to the Cup finals until he left. His record in Edmonton if you wish to be generous to him is at best a mixed bag, with Quenneville now off the table for some reason Mac is the beauty queen who everyone is wanting. I think he is at this point part of the old boy network who everyone seems to like, an amiable personality who teams are happy to have who will get job after job. Kind of like Hitch but without the resume to back it up.

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

Listening to Elliott Friedman he seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that Todd Mclellan is the next coach of the Kings unless the Sabres give him an absolutely ridiculous contract. Friedman says Mac essentially has his choice of where he wants to coach and that he is by nature a West coast guy and unless the Sabres back up a truck of Pegula bucks to his doorstep Mac will pick the Kings. I listen to waaay to many of these podcasts and talking heads but Friedman seems to get much more right than wrong.

I dont understand the love for McLellan to be honest. He coached an underachieving Sharks team for years a team with as much talent squandered year after year as any team in the game, they didn't make it to the Cup finals until he left. His record in Edmonton if you wish to be generous to him is at best a mixed bag, with Quenneville now off the table for some reason Mac is the beauty queen who everyone is wanting. I think he is at this point part of the old boy network who everyone seems to like, an amiable personality who teams are happy to have who will get job after job. Kind of like Hitch but without the resume to back it up.

That to me is a terrible move of just recycling coaches and being lazy and not really wanting to do the legwork to find a guy.

Archived