Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

yave1964

Willie Desjardins canned

Recommended Posts

  The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.

 

  I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.

 

 So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up this roster many of the players still with years remaining on their contracts. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez are all on the wrong side of 30, so are dustin Brown and Phaneuf Trevor Lewis, in other words half the roster. And the young players, lets face it aren't an interesting bunch, they are 3rd liners and 3rd pair defenders with little upside. So whoever takes this thankless job better hope they did enough losing for Hughes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

  The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.

 

  I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.

 

 So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up this roster many of the players still with years remaining on their contracts. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez are all on the wrong side of 30, so are dustin Brown and Phaneuf Trevor Lewis, in other words half the roster. And the young players, lets face it aren't an interesting bunch, they are 3rd liners and 3rd pair defenders with little upside. So whoever takes this thankless job better hope they did enough losing for Hughes.

Hughes can't help that mess. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, yave1964 said:

  The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.

 

  I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.

 

 So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up this roster many of the players still with years remaining on their contracts. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez are all on the wrong side of 30, so are dustin Brown and Phaneuf Trevor Lewis, in other words half the roster. And the young players, lets face it aren't an interesting bunch, they are 3rd liners and 3rd pair defenders with little upside. So whoever takes this thankless job better hope they did enough losing for Hughes.

 

Kings firing multiple coaches so soon provides unnecessary busywork for an organization that clearly needs to slap its roster around. Adding such instability to an already struggling team also risks prolonging needed recovery. Find a good longterm coach and let him establish his system so he has a chance to succeed when team personnel improves. 

Edited by thenewestlights
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

 

Kings firing multiple coaches so soon provides unnecessary busywork for an organization that clearly needs to slap its roster around. Adding such instability to an already struggling team also risks prolonging needed recovery. Find a good longterm coach and let him establish his system so he has a chance to succeed when team personnel improves. 

I simply do not understand why Sutter is never mentioned in anyone's list of coaching candidates whenever they make a change. I dont know what more the guy needed to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I simply do not understand why Sutter is never mentioned in anyone's list of coaching candidates whenever they make a change. I dont know what more the guy needed to do.

 

Maybe this?

 

Quote

After talking with his family, Sutter said he decided he would no longer pursue NHL coaching positions.

 

"I love my schedule now," he said. "That's the best way to put it. I enjoy watching the game on TV and I pull for certain players and I'm totally at peace with not coaching."

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, yave1964 said:

the game has passed too many thirty somethings by.

 

Sounds like a job for Dave Tippett.

 

He took a Yotes team full of them to the WCF in 2011-12.

 

The guys he had:

Ray Whitney 39

Radim Vrbata 30

Shane Doan 34

Daymond Langkow 34

Derek Morris 33

Michal Rozsival 32

Jason Labarbera 31

Taylor Pyatt 30

Mike Smith 30

Antoine Vermette 29

Radoslav Klesla  29

Raffi Torres 29

 

That is an old team.

 

He could do it for the Kings and and he would have more to work with.

 

He has a knack for getting the most out of what he has.

 

But they need to strike fast because the Flyers are sniffing around on Dave too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, radoran said:

 

Maybe this?

 

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Ahhh, that helps, a lot. I felt he was unceremoniously moved out by the Kings and his body of work proves he deserves another shot in the NHL, you dont get to leave the game on your own terms very often, good to see him happy in what sounds like retirement of his choosing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OccamsRazor

 

Listening to Elliott Friedman he seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that Todd Mclellan is the next coach of the Kings unless the Sabres give him an absolutely ridiculous contract. Friedman says Mac essentially has his choice of where he wants to coach and that he is by nature a West coast guy and unless the Sabres back up a truck of Pegula bucks to his doorstep Mac will pick the Kings. I listen to waaay to many of these podcasts and talking heads but Friedman seems to get much more right than wrong.

 

  I dont understand the love for McLellan to be honest. He coached an underachieving Sharks team for years a team with as much talent squandered year after year as any team in the game, they didn't make it to the Cup finals until he left. His record in Edmonton if you wish to be generous to him is at best a mixed bag, with Quenneville now off the table for some reason Mac is the beauty queen who everyone is wanting. I think he is at this point part of the old boy network who everyone seems to like, an amiable personality who teams are happy to have who will get job after job. Kind of like Hitch but without the resume to back it up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

 

Listening to Elliott Friedman he seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that Todd Mclellan is the next coach of the Kings unless the Sabres give him an absolutely ridiculous contract. Friedman says Mac essentially has his choice of where he wants to coach and that he is by nature a West coast guy and unless the Sabres back up a truck of Pegula bucks to his doorstep Mac will pick the Kings. I listen to waaay to many of these podcasts and talking heads but Friedman seems to get much more right than wrong.

 

  I dont understand the love for McLellan to be honest. He coached an underachieving Sharks team for years a team with as much talent squandered year after year as any team in the game, they didn't make it to the Cup finals until he left. His record in Edmonton if you wish to be generous to him is at best a mixed bag, with Quenneville now off the table for some reason Mac is the beauty queen who everyone is wanting. I think he is at this point part of the old boy network who everyone seems to like, an amiable personality who teams are happy to have who will get job after job. Kind of like Hitch but without the resume to back it up.

 

That to me is a terrible move of just recycling coaches and being lazy and not really wanting to do the legwork to find a guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      Hughes can't help that mess. 
    • 2
      Post
      Sounds like a job for Dave Tippett.   He took a Yotes team full of them to the WCF in 2011-12.   The guys he had: Ray Whitney 39 Radim Vrbata 30 Shane Doan 34 Daymond Langkow 34 Derek Morris 33 Michal Rozsival 32 Jason Labarbera 31 Taylor Pyatt 30 Mike Smith 30 Antoine Vermette 29 Radoslav Klesla  29 Raffi Torres 29   That is an old team.   He could do it for the Kings and and he would have more to
    • 1
      Post
      The Kings have informed Willie Desjardins that his services are no longer needed and they are in the market for a head coach.     I have never been a fan of Desjardins but lets be honest, this old slow team in a game that is played young and fast it really wouldnt matter who the coach is, the game has passed too many thirty somethings by. Scotty Bowman could not have done much with this aging team.    So now GM Rob Blake has to figure out where to turn and how to clean up thi
    • 1
      Post
      Kings firing multiple coaches so soon provides unnecessary busywork for an organization that clearly needs to slap its roster around. Adding such instability to an already struggling team also risks prolonging needed recovery. Find a good longterm coach and let him establish his system so he has a chance to succeed when team personnel improves. 
    • 1
      Post
      @OccamsRazor   Listening to Elliott Friedman he seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that Todd Mclellan is the next coach of the Kings unless the Sabres give him an absolutely ridiculous contract. Friedman says Mac essentially has his choice of where he wants to coach and that he is by nature a West coast guy and unless the Sabres back up a truck of Pegula bucks to his doorstep Mac will pick the Kings. I listen to waaay to many of these podcasts and talking heads but Friedman see
    • 1
      Post
      That to me is a terrible move of just recycling coaches and being lazy and not really wanting to do the legwork to find a guy.
×
×
  • Create New...