If it Isn't Quenneville...Next Target?

Howie58

It appears Quenneville is heading to the Panthers.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/joel-quenneville-off-board-where-203547885.html

The Miami Herald reported the same thing this morning.   If push came to shove with the folks on this roster, I would probably go with Tippett.  Fixing this team's D is imperative.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darryl Sutter...clap clap clap clap clap...Darryl Sutter. He might not want to coach anymore, but money talks, and maybe the fire is starting to re-kindle. They've reached their ceiling with Gordon. Time to bring in someone else.

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Apparently Q was never a serious candidate.  Here is a piece that speaks favorably of Tippett's experience. Not many coaches have had back-to-back 50 win seasons:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/04/the-joel-quenneville-talk-can-finally-stop-now-lets-talk-dave-tippett.html

I don't understand that. You get on a plane to talk to Q, and he's not a serious candidate? Makes no sense, but then again half of what Fumbles and Bumbles do seems to make no sense.

27 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Apparently Q was never a serious candidate.  Here is a piece that speaks favorably of Tippett's experience. Not many coaches have had back-to-back 50 win seasons:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/04/the-joel-quenneville-talk-can-finally-stop-now-lets-talk-dave-tippett.html

He believes in playing in both ends of the ice.

Jake and JVR might want to pack their bags though.

If JVR scores Tippett make tolerate him ask Vrbata....

...and I almost forgot he is a former Flyer so he may be a shoe in...that should stoke the board fire...

No to Dave Tippet. He knows nothing about offense and that's what wins games. Yes, defense is a requirement, but he'd coach the offense right out of the guys. You need someone who can balance both offensive and defensive requirements. Right now, I'd hope that Fletcher takes a flyer (pardon the pun) on one of the good AHL coaches (Sheldon Keefe, Benoit Groulx or Troy Mann). 

30 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

No to Dave Tippet. He knows nothing about offense and that's what wins games. Yes, defense is a requirement, but he'd coach the offense right out of the guys. You need someone who can balance both offensive and defensive requirements. Right now, I'd hope that Fletcher takes a flyer (pardon the pun) on one of the good AHL coaches (Sheldon Keefe, Benoit Groulx or Troy Mann). 

I hate to say but I disagree this team needs to learn to play defense first.

They learn that the offense will take of itself.

He did some good things with the Stars and Yotes.

I remember him wining 50 games with sub par goaltending with Turco and Hedberg I forget the year.

And he took the Yotes to the WFC with Bryz as his goalie.

I think he would provide the system they need to win.

Not all of them will fit or buy in.

But he has his Modano in Giroux and his Zubov with Provorov, his Lehetinen with Couturier.

Can Patrick be Arnott?

Chuck is on it.

Fletcher was critical of the defensive work of his forwards.

“I think our forwards at times are very loose with the puck,” he said. ”We lose the third guy all the time in the offensive zone. We’re giving up odd-man rushes. We’re turning pucks over. I think we put a lot of pressure on our defense at times by the way we play.”

Tippett can help fix these issues and will hold the ones not performing up to standards accountable. Or they will be gone.

Tippett's defense-first style does not interest me.  Same with Guy Boucher.  I wonder how that brand plays in the NHL these days, particularly with the focus on scoring.  Enjoy watching Konecny getting 11 minutes a game on the 4th line if Tippett or Boucher is coach.

That said, I really don't know who I want.  All of the candidate have warts:

• Boudreau (says the f word more times in 10 seconds than he has playoff round wins);
  • Vigneault (by reputation, dependent on vets; implored Rangers to let him have a shot at rebuilding, though);
  • McLellan (may be a good option; PO record is not great though);
  • Bylsma (just no...);
  • Gordon (just no...);
  • AHL coach du jour (not sure whether he will have command over this team).

Of that group, Vigneault may be most interesting to me.  I wonder if they will wait until the first round is over to make a decision.

44 minutes ago, vis said:

Tippett's defense-first style does not interest me.  Same with Guy Boucher.  I wonder how that brand plays in the NHL these days, particularly with the focus on scoring.  Enjoy watching Konecny getting 11 minutes a game on the 4th line if Tippett or Boucher is coach.

That said, I really don't know who I want.  All of the candidate have warts:

• Boudreau (says the f word more times in 10 seconds than he has playoff round wins);
  • Vigneault (by reputation, dependent on vets; implored Rangers to let him have a shot at rebuilding, though);
  • McLellan (may be a good option; PO record is not great though);
  • Bylsma (just no...);
  • Gordon (just no...);
  • AHL coach du jour (not sure whether he will have command over this team).

Of that group, Vigneault may be most interesting to me.  I wonder if they will wait until the first round is over to make a decision.

He's not just a defensive coach.

He believes in playing hard in all 3 zones.

But guess who else does Tampa's John Ccoper.

He took over a crap team from the Great one and after the league took control of it and won 50 games.

Improved them back 28 points from the previous season.

He never had much to work with and basically design the team's system to fit with its personel.

I guess I am the only one but I wish the Flyers had a coach like that, because when I look at the roster and the current crop of young talent to work (here and soon to be) with including a franchise goalie I wish they had a coach who could design a system to make it work in Philly.

Not sure how sacrilegious this would be in Flyer Land, but I've heard Scott Stevens say he would like at some point, try being a head coach.
He was asked and he said he likes the idea of molding players to see an unfinished product through to a final competitive NHL product.

He is a natural leader, seems quite intelligent in his interviews, despite his reputation as a knuckledragger on the ice, he DOES have experience as an assistant coach with the Devils and Wild (and thus has a connection with Chuck Fletcher...whether that is good or not, I am not sure).

His specialties are defensive coaching, but he also seems to understand the importance of young players having the right attitude towards the game.

I dunno.
Maybe he is the classic "very good lieutenant" but not necessarily head coach material.

And he also has admitted in the past that if he did try for a full on head coaching job, he'd like to be fully committed to it, and right now, he has things going on with his family that he enjoys spending his time with, so not sure if that has changed any.

Still though, the idea of a former three team captain, smart guy on and off the ice, with a bit of an edge to him who likes working with up n coming players sounds rather attractive.
The fact that he was/is public enemy #1 for the Flyers and their fans back in his day would make for some fantastic irony...especially if he finds success with Philly as a coach.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's not just a defensive coach.

He believes in playing hard in all 3 zones.

But guess who else does Tampa's John Ccoper.

He took over a crap team from the Great one and after the league took control of it and won 50 games.

Improved them back 28 points from the previous season.

He never had much to work with and basically design the team's system to fit with its personel.

I guess I am the only one but I wish the Flyers had a coach like that, because when I look at the roster and the current crop of young talent to work (here and soon to be) with including a franchise goalie I wish they had a coach who could design a system to make it work in Philly.

There's no denying that Tippett is a great coach when it comes to defense. When you make Ilya Bryzgalov look like the second coming, you know there's something there. At the same time, if you look at all the clubs that Tippett has coached, their offense has been anemic. Part of the problem with Tippett is that he's so enshrined with defense, his offensive approach lacks and it becomes a huge detriment.

So, while Jon Cooper believes in playing hard in all three zones, he also understands the importance of offense and doesn't choke it out by being overbearing and rigid on defense. There's a fine balance between the two and I don't think Tippett understands that. He's from that old school like Hitchcock and Lemaire (oh God, how much would that suck if Fletcher called him to see if he was interested in coming to Philadelphia). 

I'm just looking at the Flyers though and I laugh at all the people on various forums who think the sky is burning and everything bad is about to happen in Philadelphia. Fact is, there's some really good talent on the big club. There's good talent in the pipeline. There's money available for free agency and they have their draft picks still. I don't see how any potential head coach doesn't think this is a great place to turn things around.

I'm serious when I said that the holes on this club aren't as big that some might think. Fletcher clearly identifies what the issues are and Fletcher also identifies that part of the problem with the Flyers has to do with the mental side of things. They're sloppy and that's coaching. Nothing more than, nothing less than. The coaching staffs of numerous regimes have allowed the Flyers to become complacent and sloppy in their execution. They've allowed the guys to forget the attention to details aspect. The next coach doesn't need to be a drill sergeant, but he's going to have to re-enforce the attention to details. That should be first and foremost. That's part of the reason why I think a guy like Sheldon Keefe makes too much sense. His attention to detail is ridiculous. Tippett would make a great associate coach for Keefe to bounce ideas off of, but I wouldn't make Tippett a head coach. That's just me though.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At the same time, if you look at all the clubs that Tippett has coached, their offense has been anemic. Part of the problem with Tippett is that he's so enshrined with defense, his offensive approach lacks and it becomes a huge detriment.

As i said earlier i disagree, when he was with Dallas when he had talent to work with. His 2005-06 finished 9th in goals for.

The first year he took over the Stars they finished 6th in goals for.

When he had Modano, Arnott, Lehtinen, Guerin, Jokinen, Barnes and Kapanen his 2005-06 finished 9th in goals for.

Plus he got offense from Zubov, Boucher and Robidas. 

He had talent and he made something out of his bottom 6.

When he got to Phoenix he didn't have the talent he had in Dallas but he made it work taking over the mess Gretzky left him and still they grinded to 50 wins...his 3rd 50 win season with two different clubs.

With lesser talent like Vrbata, Lombardi, Upshall, Stempniak, Pyatt and Doan on the wrong side of 30.

But he got a lot out of Aucoin, Jovanovski, Yandle and Michalek.

The Flyers lack the fundamentals and it shows it their play.

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm serious when I said that the holes on this club aren't as big that some might think.

I feel Tippett can straighten them out and do it without ruining the offense.

I have never heard of a coach choking out offense or someone encouraging his players NOT to try and score....never.

I guess we'll see soon we can debate and throw names about here and there. At the end of the day Chuck don't give a f**k!!

He is going to do what he wants to do. I have said my piece on it. And i feel he would be worth a look.

32 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The next coach doesn't need to be a drill sergeant, but he's going to have to re-enforce the attention to details.

Sounds like right up Dave's alley.

And he has the horses to play and not have to sacrifice offense.

But he will also change the way team just enter the offensive zone at free will and do what they want and just cause havoc and stand and screen Hart uncontested.

And if they were to opt for Keefe i would be good with that. He is one of my choices for a coach who has no NHL coaching experience.

That is my 2 cents on it.

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not sure how sacrilegious this would be in Flyer Land, but I've heard Scott Stevens say he would like at some point, try being a head coach.
He was asked and he said he likes the idea of molding players to see an unfinished product through to a final competitive NHL product.

He is a natural leader, seems quite intelligent in his interviews, despite his reputation as a knuckledragger on the ice, he DOES have experience as an assistant coach with the Devils and Wild (and thus has a connection with Chuck Fletcher...whether that is good or not, I am not sure).

His specialties are defensive coaching, but he also seems to understand the importance of young players having the right attitude towards the game.

I dunno.
Maybe he is the classic "very good lieutenant" but not necessarily head coach material.

And he also has admitted in the past that if he did try for a full on head coaching job, he'd like to be fully committed to it, and right now, he has things going on with his family that he enjoys spending his time with, so not sure if that has changed any.

Still though, the idea of a former three team captain, smart guy on and off the ice, with a bit of an edge to him who likes working with up n coming players sounds rather attractive.
The fact that he was/is public enemy #1 for the Flyers and their fans back in his day would make for some fantastic irony...especially if he finds success with Philly as a coach.

I think Stevens will eventually get hired again.  He is cerebral guy who, as you noted, like development. His "problem" was dealing with a squad that was not cut out for "The New NHL."  He inherited an over-the-hill gang in LA.  

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I think Stevens will eventually get hired again.  He is cerebral guy who, as you noted, like development. His "problem" was dealing with a squad that was not cut out for "The New NHL."  He inherited an over-the-hill gang in LA.  

She is talking about former Devil Scott Stevens not former Flyer and Kings coach John Stevens.

I would be ok with Scott Stevens as a defensive coach....maybe he could harden this soft group up some.

Not sure he is ready for a head coaching gig yet.

17 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I haven’t read the article yet so just talking off the cuff here.

How does Fletcher not even try to get permission to talk to Q?  He has the best resume of any coach that is available and you don’t even ask for permission?  He won more cups in his 11 years in Chicago than the Flyers have in their 50 plus years of existence.    At least talk to the guy!  That is just unbelievable to me! 

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

How does Fletcher not even try to get permission to talk to Q?  He has the best resume of any coach that is available and you don’t even ask for permission?  He won more cups in his 11 years in Chicago than the Flyers have in their 50 plus years of existence.    At least talk to the guy!  That is just unbelievable to me! 

I think and I am just speculating here maybe since they are family friends it some how had been related maybe he wanted to be reunited with Talon or just preferred Florida or who even knows doesn't want no part of the Flyers and being under Holmgren.

Just a guess.

It will be interesting to see length of contract.  My gut says no longer than three years--no repeat of Hakstol's gig.  I also suspect failure to win a playoff series next season will result in dismissal.  

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Seems like Philly had the largest offer on the table. You can't do that if you're not talking to someone.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Seems like Philly had the largest offer on the table. You can't do that if you're not talking to someone.

Q didn't want to come here IMO, because he recognized the utter incompetence of the people at the top of the Flyers organization. So, he got on a plane, said "Thanks, but no thanks.". and left.

Archived