Steve Staois hit on Max Talbot (Islanders Game)

Guest Digityman

head shot  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Was this a head shot and should he receive a suspension?

• No - It was a clean hit
    • Borderline hit - no suspension
    • Borderline hit - possible suspension
    • Yes it was a head shot - no suspension
    • Yes it was a head shot - 1-3 game suspension
    • Yes it was a head shot - 4+ game suspension

I was plowing my driveway & listening to the game and Tim Saunders called it a clean hit as he saw it.

Bundy wasn't so sure especially after the replay.

Watching this video and listening to Jackson during the play, he didn't seem to think it was a head-shot during the play. Called it a "big hit".

During the replay, none of Jones, Coatsy or Jackson called it a head shot.

What do you think?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1AsWQI-LaOo

Borderline hit. Who knows what the NHL does with it.

I do think we'll see Shelley in the lineup next week against the Isles and Staois will see him on a number of shifts.

Hopefully Rinaldo and maybe Sestito, too. :-)

It was borderline, but I think the elbow came up on the follow through, not as the point of impact. It's a tough call as to whether they'll suspend him or not, but I think no.

I agree AJ. He did not lead with the elbow to the head but he certainly followed through and finished that way. If the skate was on the other foot, the Flyer(whoever it would be) would be in the box with a major...especially the way Talbot hit the ice. Shanahan has been pretty fair with his suspensions this year, so I would like to think Staios at least gets a personal call and a warning.

very boarderline. he came up higher than he needed to, and his arms came up even higher than that...but it isn't like he totally blasted talbot. i wouldn't be shocked to see 1 game, and wouldn't be shocked to see nothing.

Can you say oxymoron?

Thank you. Was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. "Clean elbow to the face"?

I guess Phlfly was being sarcastic? I couldn't tell.

Talbot's quote sums it up pretty well imo - "type of hit the NHL is trying to eliminate."

The hit was totally unnecessary and illegal. You can't throw an elbow legally and you sure can't throw an elbow into a guy's face, blindside no less.

That's the kind of shot you deliver to somebody who's been fkng with you all night. Hard to tell from t.v. but I didn't see anything Talbot did during the game to warrant that type of treatment.

What do you think?

I think it was borderline but I am sick of this pansy Bettman hockey BS. Some Flyer, ANY Flyer should have went to Talbot's aid. Not one player even went near him. Someone had to see it. That is more discouraging to me then anything. Even if it was borderline you cannot allow one of your players to take a hit like that and not respond. Then to see him with a little grin on his face on the bench?

but why did no flyers on the ice jump staois and beat the piss out of him. kind of like when miller got ran and his teammates just watched

from my view they puck was going up the ice toward the d-zone with no whistle... kind of hard to go and get some when you need to keep the other guys from scoring. plus the hit was a little behind the play maybe the guys on the ice didn't see it... plus talbot was down and seemed to be really hurt, i think that has a way of changing the focus from retribution to concern for the fallen teammate..

i'd be willing to bet a lot of guys in the locker room are glad to have talbot on the team, where as miller was struggling when his play happened; and since he's a goaltender probably isn't the "best guy " in the room. i don't think guys on the flyers were glad to see 27 get his i think staios should keep his head up the next time the teams meet.

Talbot's quote sums it up pretty well imo - "type of hit the NHL is trying to eliminate."

The hit was totally unnecessary and illegal. You can't throw an elbow legally and you sure can't throw an elbow into a guy's face, blindside no less.

That's the kind of shot you deliver to somebody who's been fkng with you all night. Hard to tell from t.v. but I didn't see anything Talbot did during the game to warrant that type of treatment.

This is exactly what I thought. Talbot never saw it coming and there was a complete disregard for player safety. The intent of the hit was to hurt him. Not separate him from the puck (the puck had already been played). The other part of that is Staios intended to go after him. He is a D-man- and had ZERO business being in the Flyers d-zone down at the circle with Flyers posession. His only intent to was to make a run. On that premise, I would consider a suspension because he clearly went well out of his way to make a dangerous hit.

It thought it was a headshot & Talbot was totally deffensless! I think it is possibly Suspension-worthy, but I'm not sure wether Staois will get it though because Talbot returned to play & isn't injured.

What really ticks me off is how Staois was sitting on the bench with that smirk on his face, grinning and laughing after the incident. Total disrespect. If that was his teammate, he would be irrate.

Will we see a Flyers/Isles brawl like the Pens/Isles? Would be fun to watch.

Disagree. The Flyers have essentially disarmed their team, which makes that situation very bad and very dangerous for their health. I know Staios was acting 80% Kasparitis, and he needs to get his, but the Flyers don't have enough muscle to go with the Islanders.

Bourdon, Rinaldo, Shelly, Sestito, Hartnell. That's about it, and I don't want Hartnell fighting on his hot streak. I really don't foresee the Flyers running a forth line of Sestito/Rinaldo/Shelly either.

This has been the team's MO for a long time.Both times Lindros got waffled nobody did a thing. The "Broad st.Bullies "is a myth. Homer seems to have forgotten the physical side of hockey. I was thinking seeing his nemisis Nick Fotiu at the winter classic would have fired up his prey drive and bring up some of those BIG Phantoms.