The fix is in Devils win draft lottery again , Rangers # 2. The league really wanted this.

RonJeremy

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Im sick

You will never be able to explain to me why the actual lottery is not televised.   Even as a matter of production, it would be much more interesting (let alone transparent!) than the National Prayer Hour I just watched.

I'm not worried. Honest to goodness, I'm not worried. There's always player/s that drop because teams sometime reach. For instance, look at last year. Barrett Hayton, Vitali Kravtsov, Ty Dellandrea, and Liam Foudy all climbed. Filip Zadina, Adam Boqvist, Grigori Denisenko, and Joe Veleno all dropped. Don't fret it, they're going to get a very good player. Or, if they move the pick in part of a package, they're going to secure a near elite right-handed defender.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You will never be able to explain to me why the actual lottery is not televised.   Even as a matter of production, it would be much more interesting (let alone transparent!) than the National Prayer Hour I just watched.

Yeah it just feels phony not letting us all see it.

It wouldn't be any less suspenseful.

But Buttman probably loves the controversy because hey at least the NHL is being talked about.

I bet someday we'll read in someone's memoir that the lottery was indeed fixed various years. I'm not saying that's necessarily what happened here or any other specific year of note, but would any of us be shocked if it turned out Bettman was doing stuff under the table like that? If you've been watching the NHL over the last couple decades, it really shouldn't. This isn't exactly a business that screams fairness and transparency. The order of the day always has and always will be making money at any and all costs, even at the expense of lottery fixes.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I suspect Russian collusion! 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who deleted the emails? 🤬

Y'all are missing the obvious point that it was a second lottery on the grassy knoll that picked the Devils 1st and Rangers 2nd.

39 minutes ago, radoran said:

Y'all are missing the obvious point that it was a second lottery on the grassy knoll that picked the Devils 1st and Rangers 2nd.

NO ..it was Col. Mustard with the candlestick in the bedroom with Bettman who allowed the  Devils 1st and Rangers 2nd. :smileyandcomputer:

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

NO ..it was Tony Soprano, Jr. with the candlestick wrench in the bedroom with Bettman who allowed the  Devils 1st and Rangers 2nd. :smileyandcomputer:

I'd like to make an accusation.

39 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Absolute BS, Devils moving up twice in three years. I am not certain what the system should look like but this is not it.

I'm tellin' ya, man... the non-playoff teams should have their own mini playoffs starting right now.

Winner gets 1st overall, runner-up gets 2nd, and so on.

It's a win for the organization that gets gate revenue. It's a win for the fans that have something to cheer for - a 1st overall pick won on merit, not luck or suckiness. And it's a win for the league because they get more games and team revenue. 

Plus that would effectively eliminate all pretensions of tanking. You want to sell off your team mid-season and give up? Sure, then enjoy the 15th overall pick. 

18 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm tellin' ya, man... the non-playoff teams should have their own mini playoffs starting right now.

It's a win for the organization that gets gate revenue. It's a win for the fans that have something to cheer for - a 1st overall pick won on merit, not luck or suckiness. And it's a win for the league because they get more games and team revenue. 

Plus that would effectively eliminate all pretensions of tanking. You want to sell off your team mid-season and give up? Sure, then enjoy the 15th overall pick. 

Like the NIT for college basketball teams that did make the real playoffs except for something.

It would never work.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Like the NIT for college basketball teams that did make the real playoffs except for something.

I don't know what this means. 

Do they have something like what I was describing?

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I like the spirit of your idea, and in THEORY, it wouldn't be a bad one.

However, in practice, I can see all sorts of problems with this.

First, if you were to take the teams that didn't make the playoffs (they are assumed to be bad enough to not make the top 8), and make them play each other, you are still slanting things towards the teams that just barely missed (again, making the assumption they were ALMOST good enough to get into the real playoffs), because the ones who really did finish as absolute bottom feeders should be terrible.

Therefore, more often than not, the high draft picks will be going to the teams that were almost good enough to play for the Stanley Cup, and the ones who really need the help in personnel, often WON'T get it because, 90% of the time, they just really ARE that bad!

Second, I can't see players on such losing teams being particularly motivated to give it their all in these "secondary playoffs".
Think about it. They would be risking injury on games where there is no Cup to be one, and, especially if they are veteran UFA's, they have no real reason to risk that injury when they need to stay healthy for their next contract (likely with another team anyways).

Finally, why should players on a losing team play all out, in a playoff for a draft pick, when said draft pick, especially if its a top 3, will likely displace THEM, and again, going back to the second point, they are the ones risking injury, for the owner's gain, and then likely to get pushed off the roster by some young hotshot draftee.

Not knocking your idea, like I said before, I like it's spirit and workability in theory....but realistically, I don't think the players would co-operate.
And the owners on the truly bad teams will bidtch about it because it is likely the teams that finished 9th or 10th are the ones good enough to actually win any secondary playoffs.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Not that this doesn't exist to some extent now but would a concern be that "middle" teams would likely get a bigger share of the new top talent, potentially creating essentially a "second tier" of teams that would have trouble getting out of the bottom of the league? (se: Fruit Girl, Tropical)

IMO, the less than 1-in-5 chance for the worst team to actually get the #1 pick is more of a disincentive today than we have seen in the past.

Lastly, how many non-Northeast fans were calling "foul" over the Devils/Flyers lucking into 1/2 a couple years ago?

46 minutes ago, brelic said:

I don't know what this means. 

Do they have something like what I was describing?

Yeah you know March madness they start with 64 teams to get down to two teams fighting for the national title in basketball.

Well they also have the NIT too for teams that didn't make the tourney.

I don't follow basketball but I know some of it.

I don't even know what NIT stands for.

I have always joked Not In Tournament!

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I like the spirit of your idea, and in THEORY, it wouldn't be a bad one.

However, in practice, I can see all sorts of problems with this.

First, if you were to take the teams that didn't make the playoffs (they are assumed to be bad enough to not make the top 8), and make them play each other, you are still slanting things towards the teams that just barely missed (again, making the assumption they were ALMOST good enough to get into the real playoffs), because the ones who really did finish as absolute bottom feeders should be terrible.

Therefore, more often than not, the high draft picks will be going to the teams that were almost good enough to play for the Stanley Cup, and the ones who really need the help in personnel, often WON'T get it because, 90% of the time, they just really ARE that bad!

I have thought of this, and it's a great point. I guess I see two reasons that mitigate this.

1. It will stop the trade deadline sell off. 

2. Teams that are really *that* bad repeatedly don't deserve top picks, IMO of course. They are mismanaged organizations (see Oilers).

Second, I can't see players on such losing teams being particularly motivated to give it their all in these "secondary playoffs".
Think about it. They would be risking injury on games where there is no Cup to be one, and, especially if they are veteran UFA's, they have no real reason to risk that injury when they need to stay healthy for their next contract (likely with another team anyways).

Yes, this is a tough one to sell. I'm not thinking 4 rounds of best-of-7. But maybe best-of-3s... so 12 games tops instead of 28. Or some other format. 

Finally, why should players on a losing team play all out, in a playoff for a draft pick, when said draft pick, especially if its a top 3, will likely displace THEM, and again, going back to the second point, they are the ones risking injury, for the owner's gain, and then likely to get pushed off the roster by some young hotshot draftee.

Also great point. Not sure how to resolve it... but smarter people than I can certainly come up with an incentive for players.

Not knocking your idea, like I said before, I like it's spirit and workability in theory....but realistically, I don't think the players would co-operate.
And the owners on the truly bad teams will bidtch about it because it is likely the teams that finished 9th or 10th are the ones good enough to actually win any secondary playoffs.

Yes, there are definitely holes in the theory - but I like it for the same reason you say... the spirit of it. The spirit of winning, of a culture of players and owners and teams that have more opportunities to win, instead of selling off and having fans, media, and players tune out. That's just not maximizing the product or the assets that the league has.

Eliminate the shootout in the regular season, but have one to determine the draft order. Starting goalie for each team, but the shooters are picked out of a hat.

Archived