Kucherov suspended one game for hit

yave1964

The game was out of hand and his frustration boiled over last night and Nikita Kucherov got carried away, first he tripped Markus Nutivaara then while Nutivaara was on his knees hit him with Nutivaara's head hitting the boards. The league has decided to suspend the leading scorer during the regular season for the critical game 3.

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/tamp-bay-lightning-kucherov-suspend-041319

It was a dangerous play in  game in which the Lightning seemed to lose their composure more and more as the game wore on. Still the deep and talented Lightning have enough firepower to get back in the series which has game three scheduled for 7pm Sunday.

I'm ok with 1 game.... i was kind of leaning towards 2 games simply because we have seen less egregious hits garner 2+ games.  Regardless he sits for 1 game ....that type of play cannot be tolerated.

Dumb, thoughtless, and very unlike Kucherov.

I think the one game is fair.
I've never been one to go on and on and rail on my own team's guys (unlike some people who seem to base their entire online existence doing that), but I've always felt Kucherov, talented as he is, has a bit of "MalkenStein" in him.

Yep. I said it.
We all know, Evgeni Malkin is a fantastic Russian player. He can take over games, and consistently puts up great numbers every year and elevates his linemates.
Malkin, ALSO, has a tendency to let the opposition get under his skin to the point where he does dumb stuff and ends up hurting his team.

And teams KNOW that, and target him in such ways just to get him off his game.
I've been seeing a bit of that from Kucherov over the last few seasons as well.

Great, great numbers, dangerous player, raises the levels of his linemates…..but, he CAN be easily frustrated, he CAN be made to get off his game and go off and do stuff he really shouldn't be doing.
And Columbus seems to have found his buttons in this series...……….and Kuch goes ahead and pulls this crap...unnecessary crap....in a game his team is clearly being outplayed in.

Kucherov is who he is, and whatever his personal makeup, it is what got him to the NHL and be the elite player  he is.
Unfortunately, if I am right about the parallels between he and Malkin regarding frustration levels leading to dumbassery, teams will only press that advantage whenever possible.

I make no excuses for Kucherov. Like I said...dumb and thoughtless.
And it is ridiculous to say the team is better without him than with him.....duh!

But that all said, this TB roster isn't built around any one particular guy (Andrei Vasilevskiy is the closest the team has to 'single indispensable player at this time), so even though losing Kuch for a game will sting, it isn't like the Bolts don't have other people that can step up.

TB is being outplayed, they are being out-hustled, and they seem to have gotten into the heads of some TB players real bad.
Bolts just need to push all that aside, get the next man up to replace Kucherov in the lineup, and play and dictate the games like they have all year.

Kucherov out sucks, and if TB loses this series it won't be because of that...………..it will be because Columbus wanted this series more and executed better than TB.

Kuch can sit and think about what he potentially may have helped cost his team, but as for the rest of the team, life goes on and no excuses can be made.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, pilldoc said:

I'm ok with 1 game.... i was kind of leaning towards 2 games simply because we have seen less egregious hits garner 2+ games.  Regardless he sits for 1 game ....that type of play cannot be tolerated.

How is THIS one game and you want 20+ for Kadri?  It's the same type of play.

:(

If Kucherov gets a 1 game suspension for boarding (and targeting the head) of what's his name, Kadri shouldn't get more than 3 games for his crosscheck on DeBrusk.  I mean really.  It's basically the same level of severity here. Smashing someone's head into the boards is no different than a crosscheck to the head. 

FYI: Kadri threw the exact same type of hit in the playoffs last year and everyone screamed bloody murder. :(

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If Kucherov gets a 1 game suspension for boarding (and targeting the head) of what's his name, Kadri shouldn't get more than 3 games for his crosscheck on DeBrusk.  I mean really.  It's basically the same level of severity here. Smashing someone's head into the boards is no different than a crosscheck to the head. 

FYI: Kadri threw the exact same type of hit in the playoffs last year and everyone screamed bloody murder. :(

And therein lies the problem with Kadri...he has a history of doing this type of crap. And he hasn't learned. And now he's done something even worse. 

I know...the Leafs need him if they're going to beat the Bruins. Too bad Kadri can't figure that out.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And therein lies the problem with Kadri...he has a history of doing this type of crap. And he hasn't learned. And now he's done something even worse. 

I know...the Leafs need him if they're going to beat the Bruins. Too bad Kadri can't figure that out.

When are they having this meeting anyway?  🗓️

Can Kadri play in game 3 (since no ruling has been made on his suspension yet)? We don't even know IF he will be suspended. We're assuming he will be, but nobody has said anything. 

If I'm not mistaken, since Kadri received a game misconduct and NOT a match penalty, he's eligible to play in game 3!  A match penalty comes with an automatic suspension and the player is suspended pending a review. A game misconduct only means you're gone for that particular game. No ruling, no suspension!  :ok: 

"In the NHL, a match penalty and a game misconduct are virtually identical in application. However, a match penalty carries a larger fine, and the offending player is suspended indefinitely until the Commissioner rules on the issue."

-- Wikipedia

kadri.thumb.png.1494d95b308c7042d8d94c78b42d5a67.png

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

The meeting is scheduled for tomorrow. As it is a game day, it should be considered a foregone conclusion that a suspension is forthcoming of indeterminate length.

From everything I've read on the NHL rules, if that meeting doesn't happen before game 3 start time (for whatever reason), Kadri is in the lineup!  :)

Wouldn't that be hilarious if he got to play on a technicality?  

His status is: "Active until league says otherwise."

With a match penalty it's: "Suspended until league says otherwise."

Archived