Kadri crosschecks Debrusk across the face (poll)

yave1964

How long will Kadri be suspended?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Kadri be suspended for latest dirty hit?

• 3 games
    • 5 games
    • 1 game
    • not at all
    • more than 5 games

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya...an arsehole.

He's been suspended and fined multiple times...like, what, 7 or 8? He's clearly not getting the message. This was dirty, and selfish. He puts his team in a bad situation because he wanted payback for a hit on himself.

If I put me into the 1990s I wouldn't be old. But I am. It isn't the 1990s. If you put the 75 Flyers on the ice now they'd all be doing time.

In 2002/03, the Leafs roster had about a dozen players that played like Nazem Kadri does today:

• Darcy Tucker
  • Tie Domi
  • Gary Roberts
  • Doug Gilmour
  • Owen Nolan
  • etc..........

:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Remember it well. Kapenan go up and made it to the bench...and Roenick knocked the Leafs out of the playoffs. 

But Tucker will always be remembered fondly for doing squat when it mattered.

@WordsOfWisdom       sorry dude I love the nasty stuff but he deserves at least double what he got for his hit last year on Wingels. He does not seem to get it.  Still hope the leafs win the series but if not and they lose in 7 he deserves to be moved out. 

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@WordsOfWisdom       sorry dude I love the nasty stuff but he deserves at least double what he got for his hit last year on Wingels. He does not seem to get it.  Still hope the leafs win the series but if not and they lose in 7 he deserves to be moved out. 

I don't think the length of the suspension needs to escalate each time if the frequency of occurrence is rare (once a year or every two years). I think it's to be expected that a player who plays on the edge like Kadri is going to cross the line occasionally. When it happens, you hand out a suspension. 

If Kadri was suspended for 3 games it basically puts him out for the rest of this series. He could only return in a game 6 or 7 if it got that far, and you know that's what fans want to see. Toronto and Boston fans want to see Kadri back in this series again at some point.  :) 

Maybe I'm old school but this is what hockey needs right now. Game 2 against Boston was the most exciting game I've watched in months. 

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't think the length of the suspension needs to escalate each time if the frequency of occurrence is rare (once a year or every two years). I think it's to be expected that a player who plays on the edge like Kadri is going to cross the line occasionally. When it happens, you hand out a suspension. 

If Kadri was suspended for 3 games it basically puts him out for the rest of this series. He could only return in a game 6 or 7 if it got that far, and you know that's what fans want to see. Toronto and Boston fans want to see Kadri back in this series again at some point.  :) 

Maybe I'm old school but this is what hockey needs right now. Game 2 against Boston was the most exciting game I've watched in months. 

So if Chara crosschecks Mitch Marner in the face, but only once a year, you're ok with that?

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So if Chara crosschecks Mitch Marner in the face, but only once a year, you're ok with that?

Ahhhh, the Annual "Crosscheck Your Fellow Player" across the face.

I think we can take a vote on starting that kind of tradition....officially.  :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

22 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Yeah,  paybacks are a bitch...

Wilson got 20 games for this.

Well, I guess we will find out shortly what Kadri receives.  :(

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That was a year ago though. At what point does a player's history get wiped clean?  Kadri stays within the rules most of the time. 

Piggy backing off of what @hf101 mentioned,  here is the CBA definition of repeat offender.....

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions/c-738846

"A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension. It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline."

So yeah ...Kadri's history will come into play here .......

14 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Has anyone else noticed that the forum threads don't open when you click the picture on the image slider any more?

I have to right click and say "open in a new tab" to get them to open.  :( 

Thanks for the heads up.  Let me install an update. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Piggy backing off of what @hf101 mentioned,  here is the CBA definition of repeat offender.....

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions/c-738846

"A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension. It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline."

So yeah ...Kadri's history will come into play here .......

Would it be safe to say that every hockey fan likes their own team's agitator but not anyone else's?    :showingguns:

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Would it be safe to say that every hockey fan likes their own team's agitator but not anyone else's?    :showingguns:

Nah as a Wings fan I hate Justin Abdelkader and would trade him away to anyone offering a 7th rounder just to get rid of his bloated long term deal which was based off of, I am sure, Abdelkader catching Kenny Holland in bed with either a dead woman or a live man.

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Actually, I would say that IS fair for the most part, when looked at through one's team colored glasses. 
I am no exception.

For instance, I like what guys like Yanni Gourde, Cedric Paquette, and Alex Killorn bring to the Lightning...…..I also know that all three of those guys, yap, talk, take extra shots, and sometimes play borderline on the ice to the point where other team's players really want to punch them in the face.

Paquette especially is known to straddle the line between tough play and cheap hits.

But when looked at objectively, it is easy to see how fans from another fanbase would absolutely abhor these guys!
Even the great Victor Hedman sometimes dabbles in Ratassery….

But some players, and unfortunately for Leaf fans, Kadri falls into that category, just take things a bit TOO far, and too OFTEN!
@pilldoc already chronicled some of Nazem's, ahem, 'finer fined moments', however, there were many times he has gotten away with garbage....then he fish eyes around the rink to see if the ref caught any of it.

I remember a game between the Leafs and Wild some seasons ago, where Kadri ran the Wild goalie (I think it was Kuemper at the time), not much was done about it, and then some plays later, he goes and runs Mikael Granlund's head against the boards, which DID get some attention from players and officials...but BOTH times, Kadri looked around to see who would be coming after him.

Point is, whenever there is some nasty or below board stuff going on the ice and the Leafs are playing, Nazem is usually in the middle of it...…….and like I said before, he then acts so indignant when someone does similar to him....like he is going to have an aneurism if the ref doesn't see his point of view!

At least with a guy like Paquette, he does some unsavory things, but when people go hard after him, he might chirp a bit to the ref, then let it go, understanding that if he is going to play like a rat, someone's gonna get a big fat cat after him at some point.
Kadri doesn't seem to understand that, IMO.

So how does the Kadri hit on DeBrusk compare to the hit by Kucherov on Nutivaara?

Kucherov got a 1 game suspension for a hit which targeted the head of Nutivaara. Why should a Kadri suspension be 20 games if this is one game?

Actually I love that type of player for the reasons that TFG mentions above, Boone Jenner is one of both my wife and mine favorite, serious energy guy who can play up and down the lines, plays a heavy game, can score a bit playing all three forward positions, give me a bunch of those guys over a skilled winger who plays a soft game any day. 

But guys like Kadri and Abdelkader are low IQ players who I can do without, yeah they bring something to the table Abby can kill penalties Kadri is perfectly slotted as a scoring 3C but both do dumb things taking bad penalties at the wrong time, flipping the puck over the glass in their own end. They bring a lot to the table in their own fashion but really you can never quite trust them n important situations. Kind of the opposite of a James Neal who tend to get bored in the regular season but comes up huge when it counts. 

An aside, tired of lazy reporting, Pierre McGuire has to have said ten times that Josh Anderson is the Jackets Tom Wilson, almost a Pavlovian response when he hears his name. The truth is Tom Wilson is the Capitals Josh Anderson. Anderson is already even as a kid twice the player that Wilson will ever be. Wilson, speaking of bone headed skilled but flawed players who you can never quite trust.....

@WordsOfWisdom

Kucherov has zero history of that kind of hit, Kadri has been suspended many times and fined many more. Repeat offenders will always receive harsher punishment in all walks of life. If someone gets busted selling drugs once he may get diversion or probation but by the fifth time in five years, he gets shipped. As he should. Same with Kadri, although I feel he should be suspended for the remainder of the series and that is all.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Kucherov has zero history of that kind of hit, Kadri has been suspended many times and fined many more. Repeat offenders will always receive harsher punishment in all walks of life. If someone gets busted selling drugs once he may get diversion or probation but by the fifth time in five years, he gets shipped. As he should. Same with Kadri, although I feel he should be suspended for the remainder of the series and that is all.

Well given that the Kucherov hit was 1 game, I'd say a suspension of 3 games for Kadri is already 3X the punishment for what amounts to the same infraction/ same type of dirty play. So that's "good enough" in my books to account for Kadri's history.  (Two prior suspensions I believe.)

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well given that the Kucherov hit was 1 game, I'd say a suspension of 3 games for Kadri is already 3X the punishment for what amounts to the same infraction/ same type of dirty play. So that's "good enough" in my books to account for Kadri's history.  (Two prior suspensions I believe.)

Well here's a recent 2 game suspension for a first time offender without a stick to the head infraction.  This hit also did not have intent to injure.  I think it is wishful thinking if the league were to only suspend Kadri 3 games.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Well here's a recent 2 game suspension for a first time offender without a stick to the head infraction.  This hit also did not have intent to injure.  I think it is wishful thinking if the league were to only suspend Kadri 3 games.

Yeah I thought the ruling on that hit was terrible. Should not have had any suspension whatsoever.  

I'm guessing the number is probably going to be 5 games for Kadri. Just enough to put him out of this series and most likely that will be all for the Leafs. It's a shame. It really spoils the intensity in what was shaping up to be an entertaining series. 

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yeah I thought the ruling on that hit was terrible. Should not have had any suspension whatsoever.  

I'm guessing the number is probably going to be 5 games for Kadri. Just enough to put him out of this series and most likely that will be all for the Leafs. It's a shame. It really spoils the intensity in what was shaping up to be an entertaining series. 

Ya...it's why he's gotta learn someday it's about the team, not just Kadri. It seems like just when he's got over that hump he keeps reverting back.

Just my unbiased bruins opinion, lol...

If Kadri had just lowered his stick, and run Jake into the boards, i'd have no issues with it, but Kadri has a history of going up high, and that history will, and should have an impact on the length of suspension...cheap play at an even worse time.

Archived