It's Vigneault

radoran

Do you like this hire?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to the hiring of AV?

• Love it!
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Hey at least it is a HC with NHL experience
    • Hell no ... we are doomed

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-name-alain-vigneault-head-coach--philadelphia-flyers/c-306782494

"We are extremely excited to have Alain join this franchise and lead our team behind the bench for many years to come," said Fletcher. "He brings a tremendous amount of success over an extended period of time that will prove valuable to our team to take the next steps in returning the winning culture to the Philadelphia Flyers organization." 

"It is an honor to be selected as the next head coach of the Flyers," said Vigneault. "The history they have established and the passionate fan base has made this a first-class franchise. I am excited to work with Chuck, the talented group of players and prospects coming up through the system, in order to return Philadelphia to the top of the NHL landscape."

And I can tell you we're gonna have a heckuva time spelling "Vigneault" correctly on a consistent basis...

to quote Jeannie Bueller - I KNEW IT!

image.png

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, radoran said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-name-alain-vigneault-head-coach--philadelphia-flyers/c-306782494

And I can tell you we're gonna have a heckuva time spelling "Vigneault" correctly on a consistent basis...

image.png

I actually like this hiring a lot to be honest.   I think we should just say "AV" b/c lord knows I wont spell it right.

29 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I actually like this hiring a lot to be honest.   I think we should just say "AV" b/c lord knows I wont spell it right.

I'm not "against" it, but I'm not overwhelmed either.

It was pretty obvious they were going to go with someone with a "tremendous amount of success over an extended period of time". Remember when losing to his Cup Final Rags team back in 13-14 was "a good sign"? Ah, good times.

And, hey, he did get the Canucks out of the first round one three of the six times they won their division... Plus, he has experience with the Sedins which makes him a perfect fit for the VeeGees. 👺

I, for one, expect Great Things.

Great. Things.

😎

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

I, for one, expect Great Things.

Great. Things.

with this organisation I expect everything to be underwhelming.  AV can Coach and has a proven track record to go along with it...   Honestly, after Q he was my next option looking at the field.   People will freak out b/c he has the label of being tough with the young players and all that BS.  I am fine if he is tough.  Q is the same exact way... this group needs a kick in the ass.

Fletch identified his guy and wasted not time getting a deal done.   Now onto the draft and offseason....  

I mean at least we are getting a capable Coach and not another "hockey genius" or college coach that was nothing more than a shot in the dark by Ol' Ronald.

Just now, murraycraven said:

People will freak out b/c he has the label of being tough with the young players and all that BS.  I am fine if he is tough... this group needs a kick in the ass.

The team definitely needs to have a quarrel with a boot.

image.png

I'm seeing people (elsewhere) saying he was successful with "lesser" teams - as if the Canucks with six first place division winners in seven years (two President's trophies) were chopped liver. And the Rangers made the Conference Final three times in four years (twice under Vigneault) and took the President's Trophy.

This will be their first "real" coach since Loviolette. If they come out of the gate like crap again, at least we'll know it ain't the coach...

1 minute ago, radoran said:

The team definitely needs to have a quarrel with a boot.

image.png

I'm seeing people (elsewhere) saying he was successful with "lesser" teams - as if the Canucks with six first place division winners in seven years (two President's trophies) were chopped liver. And the Rangers made the Conference Final three times in four years (twice under Vigneault) and took the President's Trophy.

This will be their first "real" coach since Loviolette. If they come out of the gate like crap again, at least we'll know it ain't the coach...

Completely agree....  We are at least very competent behind the bench and I would argue that some of those teams overachieved.  Now, let him bring in his own staff and purge the entire coaching team.   I want fresh blood all around...  

To me they went with a proven Coach - something, as you said, we have not seen in these parts in a long time.

For simple reference I will post this ....

The Philadelphia Flyers have appointed Alain Vigneault as the 21st head coach in franchise history, signing him to a multi-year contract, according to Executive Vice President & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

"We are extremely excited to have Alain join this franchise and lead our team behind the bench for many years to come," said Fletcher. "He brings a tremendous amount of success over an extended period of time that will prove valuable to our team to take the next steps in returning the winning culture to the Philadelphia Flyers organization." 

"It is an honor to be selected as the next head coach of the Flyers," said Vigneault. "The history they have established and the passionate fan base has made this a first-class franchise. I am excited to work with Chuck, the talented group of players and prospects coming up through the system, in order to return Philadelphia to the top of the NHL landscape."

Below are notes on the career of Vigneault:

ALAIN VIGNEAULT (Vihn-YOH)
BORN: Quebec City, Quebec
PREVIOUS TEAMS (Head Coach)
New York Rangers, 5 season (2013-14 through 2017-18)
Vancouver Canucks, 7 seasons (2006-07 through 2012-13)
Montreal Canadiens, 4 seasons (1997-98 through 2000-01)

* Currently serving as head coach for Team Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Championships in Slovakia.

* Spent parts of 16 years as a head coach in the NHL where he has coached over 1,200 regular season games (1,216) with a career win percentage of .588 and a 648-435-35-98 record.

* In addition, he has coached in 139 career Stanley Cup Playoff games, including trips to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011 with the Vancouver Canucks as Western Conference Champions, and again in 2014 with the New York Rangers as Eastern Conference Champions.

* His teams have won seven division championships and have made the playoffs 11 times, advancing past the first round on eight of those occasions.

* He has produced 100-point seasons for teams in eight of the last 11 full seasons as head coach, including nine seasons of 45 wins and three seasons with 50 wins.

* He won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year for the 2006-07 season when he led Vancouver to a 49-26-7 record and a 105 points... He has also been a finalist for the award a total of four times (1999-2000, 2006-07, 2010-11, 2014-15).

* He captured the Presidents' Trophy as regular season champions three times: 
2010-11 - Vancouver Canucks (54-19-9, 117 pts)
2011-12 - Vancouver Canucks (51-22-9, 111 pts)
2014-15 - New York Rangers (53-22-7, 113 pts)

* His 648 wins are T-12th all-time in NHL history and 6th among active coaches in the NHL. He is the Vancouver Canucks all-time winningest coach with 313 victories.

* As a player, Vigneault spent four years as a defenseman in the QMJHL with Hull and Trois-Rivieres. He appeared in 42 career games with the St. Louis Blues over parts of two seasons from 1981-83.

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

image.png

VEEN YALT see not hard at all!

19 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

People will freak out b/c he has the label of being tough with the young players and all that BS.

Hey he has a sense of humor...

...he'll need it.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Hey he has a sense of humor...

...he'll need it.

I actually remember this!!!  it was hysterical.  At least he just won't stand there all stoic looking like a dear in headlights (ahem....    Hak).   

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

* Currently serving as head coach for Team Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Championships in Slovakia.

Well he'll get a good look at his new young goalie.

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

If they come out of the gate like crap again, at least we'll know it ain't the coach...

Exaclty.

No more excuses.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

I'm not exactly 100% jumping for joy, but I'm not going jump off the balcony or Ben Franklin bridge.  I''ll be in wait and see mode for now.

This screams: "We wanted a veteran with experience like Quenneville dammit, and if we can't get him, then we need the next closest veteran with experience."

Hopefully we will get the Canucks AV and not the Rangers AV.  At least he is a coach with credible NHL experience.  Something many of us have been screaming for on here.  I do like the fact it is now done so he can evaluate players / talk with Fletch and hopefully bring in his own coaching staff.

I hope he has learned his lesson about playing rookies / younger players....if not it may be awhile before we see Frost / Farabee.

Next step AV needs to convince the powers to be to fire Lappy, Knob, and Wilson......After that, MacDonald needs to be bought out.

If all of that happens, i'll feel a lot better going into the draft and free agency.

27 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

yeah, he will prob put Couts back on the 3rd line where he belongs right?😎

seriously , who would have impressed you?

What has Vigneault won?  A career 0.588 winning percentage. 

I thought Gordon was good enough to start next season.  Change up the assistant coaches.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they come out of the gate like crap again, at least we'll know it ain't the coach...

I don't think this has been a coach problem.  It has been a talent problem.  We've been having lousy starts under four coaches.  Our recruits aren't as good as we've been led to believe.  

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I don't think this has been a coach problem.  It has been a talent problem.  We've been having lousy starts under four coaches.  Our recruits aren't as good as we've been led to believe.  

Oh I don't either but now we can put that to rest.

They'll have to find some other excuse.

They have a goalie now so they can't use that.

So I have heard that AV doesn't like using young players.

And I'm not saying that isn't true so what good young players exactly did he NOT play I don't remember any great young players they drafted and didn't play.

How about the Canucks does anyone here know and can provide some names to back this up?

Or is it something we seen somewhere and we just keep the rumor going?

Asking for a friend.

Archived