News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

radoran

It's Vigneault

Do you like this hire?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to the hiring of AV?

• Love it!
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Hey at least it is a HC with NHL experience
    • Hell no ... we are doomed

Just now, Podein25 said:

Plus 3 Jack Adams'

Oh, please, Bill Barber* won the Jack Adams. And we all know he can't coach a lick.

👺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Oh, please, Bill Barber* won the Jack Adams. And we all know he can't coach a lick.

👺

Lol, I had forgotten that. Now I have the PTSD. Thanks!

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 2

Is Vigneault the senior version of Scott Gordon? He has a sense of humor and seems to be checking off all the marks Gordon suggested needed to be addressed in the post interviews.

I do not know why you guys are being so hard on this guy, he has not coached a game for you?  So he was hired?  I did not hear this.  I think he is a good coach.  I think you could have done far worse. At least you are not in limbo like us.  WE have no damn idea what Botterill is up to?

• Like 2

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

WE have no damn idea what Botterill is up to?

If you're lucky, he's talking to John Stevens.

Colour me cautious, but probably the best choice available after Quenville signed with the Panthers. He brings structure and accountability, two things this team was severely lacking. The need for NHL experience was evident. They could have done a lot worse. 

• Like 3

I view this as a safe bet.  We might have had more "structure" under Tippett but Dave might have been happier as "Founder" in Seattle with far fewer headaches than Philly.  I don't see coaching as the problem; our talent is lacking and it's unclear our prospects are as good as we believe.  When i watch the warfare between Tampa Bay and Columbus, I see just how behind we are in terms of talent and execution.  I wish AV well.  He has his hands full.  

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

WE have no damn idea what Botterill is up to?

Don't feel bad.  He doesn't either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a....oh, nevermind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

You know what, though.  I know you're kidding, and you know I'm not a fan of his as a head coach.

But they (Buffalo) would actually be well-served if whomever they do hire as a head coach brings in Stevens as an assistant.  As an assistant, he's as good as it gets.   He could really help Dahlin and Risto, I think.

(As long as the brass promises to never make him interim head coach--let alone "permanent"--I wouldn't be real opposed to Stevens on the staff in Philly.  I'm assuming that bridge has been burned, but I don't know that.

Edited by ruxpin

You think he is good?

he was good here, get us out of the big hole after the 21-42 record after 2006-07 season. he might be a good fit.

Where is Stevens?  I cannot recall who he coached?

I read the were talking to Mike Yeo...

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know what, though.  I know you're kidding, and you know I'm not a fan of his as a head coach.

But they (Buffalo) would actually be well-served if whomever they do hire as a head coach brings in Stevens as an assistant.  As an assistant, he's as good as it gets.   He could really help Dahlin and Risto, I think.

(As long as the brass promises to never make him interim head coach--let alone "permanent"--I wouldn't be real opposed to Stevens on the staff in Philly.  I'm assuming that bridge has been burned, but I don't know that.

Who are you......and what have you done with our friend rux??? 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who are you......and what have you done with our friend rux??? 

Blues will win the Cup!  Gotta get Lindy Ruff back in Buffalo!  Miller too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Blues will win the Cup!  Gotta get Lindy Ruff back in Buffalo!  Miller too!

REPORTED!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good, safe choice.  I think he’s the next best coach with NHL HC experience available after Quenneville signed.  There was no way they were signing someone without NHL experience.  

I live close to the NYC market and for years he was lauded as a very good coach.  He didn’t win a Cup, but his rosters in NYC weren’t exceptional, imo.  One of the things that was exceptional was Lundqvist.  So, he knows something about coaching a team with a good goaltender.  

He gets dinged by some for supposedly relying on vets, but he’s got to play the roster he’s given.  Also, before he was canned, he did lobby really hard to coach the Rangers as they rebuilt.  So, I don’t think he’s afraid to coach kids.  Honestly, some of the Rangers teams were pretty young in his tenure. 

Curious how this might impact the Flyers’ free agency plans.  Obviously Vigneult has a connection to Kevin Hayes, but I’m not sure how they feel about each other.  AV criticized Hayes a bit at times.  

Zuccarello is also UFA though he is LW.  Not sure there is a fit for him on this team, but I could see the Flyers having interest.

Finally, will he get to pick his own assistants?

Edited by vis

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Can't say I'm thrilled, but he's a decent coach. Wanted Keefe...but I like this hiring a lot more than I did the GM. 

He'll never make 5 years though.

I'm sure the Leafs didn't give the Flyers permission to speak to Keefe. Since Keefe is Dubas' boy, chances are Keefe will be the next head coach of the Leafs if Babcock can't get the Leafs out of the first round.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed. I believe that you and I actually talked about this a while back. Excellent assistant coach. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Flyers slogan for 2020..."Hey, at least it isn't Bylsma!"

...Or Mike Yeo

9 hours ago, vis said:

He gets dinged by some for supposedly relying on vets

And this simply is not true and I know you aren't the one saying it.

His first year in NY

Stepan 23

Kreider 22

Mcdonagh 24

John Moore 22

Dell Zotto 23

JT Miller 20

Brassard 25

Hagelin 25

Zuccarello 26

Dorset 26

Staal 26

So to me that is a pretty young roster and he turned them in a team that competed for the Cup.

That is not a bad accomplishment.

And I haven't even looked back at Vancouver but I know he had Kelser, Elder and Burrows off the top of my head.

So his preference for vets seemed to be drummed up by fans who were just pissed and looking for a reason to hate and blame...good Flyer fans don't ever do that. :NinjaLookLeftRight1: