It's Vigneault

radoran

Do you like this hire?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to the hiring of AV?

• Love it!
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Hey at least it is a HC with NHL experience
    • Hell no ... we are doomed

1 minute ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Agreed.  He's Adam Lowry with slightly better offensive skills.  But only slightly.

Yeah, slightly. And I think Lowry skates better to be honest. And he's nastier. There's nothing nasty about Hayes as far as I can tell.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They said that about Couturier too and should just be a 3rd line center..

You know I thought of Coots when I was typing that line about Hayes being slow. I said to myself, "Coots is also slow. So what's the difference?"

The difference is Coots has, and can drive, offense. Hayes not as much. 

Edited by Podein25

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

You know I thought of Coots when I was typing that line about Hayes being slow. I said to myself, "Coots is also slow. So what's the difference?"

The difference is Coots has, and can drive, offense. Hayes not as much. 

I hear you. And respect your opinion.

Well that puts them in a slight dilemma.

Because the whole reason some of us wanted to sign him was to ease the burden on Patrick some so he could play the 3C.

So there are not many out there that you will sign for 3-4 years who can also play the 2C role.

So it looks like the only other option is to trade for a guy who is on a reasonable deal who can play 2C.

So who could that be?

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree I was pointing out JVR because he will loaf too on a back check.

Yet 33 goals will make him tolerable and he is key on the top PP.

I think AV can get Ghost going but if he doesn't that would be 3 straight coaches he would be struggling under at what point do you move on while you can.

And totally agreeing Jake should be the sacrificial lamb if they need one...

If JvR pots 35 a year, IDGAF about back checking,  he wasn't brought in to back check -so quit expecting it and using it to run him down.

It's not a strawman but it is asking a fish to climb a tree.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If JvR pots 35 a year, IDGAF about back checking,  he wasn't brought in to back check -so quit expecting it and using it to run him down.

It's not a strawman but it is asking a fish to climb a tree.

Uh you Stoned?

That is what I said.

Put the bowl down....

Edited by OccamsRazor
It's ok I understand.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

he wasn't brought in to back check -so quit expecting it and using it to run him down.

But let's be honest.

The coach expected it....it's why he got pissed and put him on the 4th and 3rd lines for several games.

So he needs to do what the coach ask. Period.

Edited by OccamsRazor
I call it like I see it

21 hours ago, radoran said:

I also think Hayes can better "drop" to a 3C position than Duchene, should Patrick ever "play his way" into the 2C... again😎

Possibly.

Others in this thread have rightly raised his apparent lack of speed.  With Courturier and Patrick as the other centers and neither having a reputation of being "fast," I do wonder how adding another not-so-fast center would work out.  Also, someone pointed out that he may not  have good conditioning.  I believe AV called him out for that one season in NY.

• Like 1

I've snarked around this thread -poked the razor about JvR backchecking and that's all been fun. 

I'm "cautiously optimistic" about Ol' AV coaching our team.

Reading up on his bio, I've learned: he can ****** coach some hockey. 

I think he'll be good for this group, I think he'd be good with any group, his cv backs that thought. 

I also have to admit that Chuck Fletcher might not suck either, I mean he probably does, or will soon, but right now, he's identified problems with his team and seems to have an idea how to fix it. 

He didn't lollygag around in the search for a coach, I imagine they will be collaborating on whom to target via the draft, free agency and trade.  All the things he's doing point to this team not starting out next season playing like 6 monkeys ****** footballs.

After this past horror show, I feel pretty meh about that- and meh is is about as excited as I think I can get until I see some good hockey being played. 

This should be an interesting off-season, it's an important one for sure. The rest of the city's sports teams have some heat, these guys could too, but they really need to "stop talking and start doing" ® as our friend rux-oran says. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I hear you. And respect your opinion.

Well that puts them in a slight dilemma.

Because the whole reason some of us wanted to sign him was to ease the burden on Patrick some so he could play the 3C.

So there are not many out there that you will sign for 3-4 years who can also play the 2C role.

So it looks like the only other option is to trade for a guy who is on a reasonable deal who can play 2C.

So who could that be?

They're out there.  They're just old. 

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They're out there.  They're just old. 

Yeah but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You don't want to sign a guy long term and block a kid.

And the only ones who want be looking for long term are the older maybe not so good anymore have to take what they can get types.

So that leaves the option to trade for a guy who is already under contract for maybe 1 or two more years at a a reasonable rate.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You don't want to sign a guy long term and block a kid.

And the only ones who want be looking for long term are the older maybe not so good anymore have to take what they can get types.

So that leaves the option to trade for a guy who is already under contract for maybe 1 or two more years at a a reasonable rate.

Yeah... that's why I'm looking a little harder at Pavelski.  He'll likely sign for less to stay in San Jose... but if he was getable, I think he'd fit the bill. 

Yeah... I don't really have the time to research that one, but you're right.

Hagg & Hartman?  

On 4/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, Podein25 said:

After watching him for a month in a Jets uni, I don't think he's worth anything near that. He's a very smart player who can be effective in traffic and with skill and speed on his wings. And he's good on faceoffs. But he's too slow.  And he's not in elite shape IMO.

I have watched him as much as i could tonight and i have to say for a 6-5 forward i think he has ok speed and can't really label him slow.

https://www.nhl.com/video/hayes-jams-home-own-rebound/t-306626976/c-67822003

Flyers need a forward who is going to drive the front of the net.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/video/hayes-opens-the-scoring/t-277437442/c-67023103

I would certainly take a hard run at him. Let the chips fall where they may...

Below are five notable quotes, plus video, to come out of the press conference:

"You look, in my mind, at three things. There's some solid youth with a lot of upside here that is coming into its own. There's great goaltending, being one of those youth pieces. There's as solid core group that in my mind needs the right direction. And you've got the combination also of some solid veteran players that have been in the league a few years, that can still contribute at a high level in this league. There are some solid pieces that in my mind and after discussing it with a lot of people that I respect their opinion in the NHL I feel that the Flyers are a very good team that with the proper direction, proper mindset, proper culture and people working together will be a very good team in the near future."

oops no video.............I like the hire seems like a good coach ..

Edited by intheslot
added letters,

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

I watched the presser and was impressed with what Vigneault had to say. 

What stood out the most? That he has one thing left to accomplish and that’s what drives him. Stanley Cup.

What stood out the most? He's shaped up! Maybe he wants to play again.

Seriously though, I think AV is a decent hire. He does have a solid resume after all, which isn't something we have been able to say in a very long time. That's not to say he'll find success necessarily, but it's something for sure. Of the options bandied about in the last bit, I would say he was probably the only one worth noting. Guys like Bylsma or Boudreau would have really worried me.

A lot is going to be a question of the players we have available honestly. I think with Hakstol it was fairly easy to wonder about the coaching to a considerable degree. If the team now falters just as badly with a seasoned coach, it'll become increasingly obvious the problem is -- and possibly always has been -- the roster.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

What stood out the most? He's shaped up! Maybe he wants to play again.

Seriously though, I think AV is a decent hire. He does have a solid resume after all, which isn't something we have been able to say in a very long time. That's not to say he'll find success necessarily, but it's something for sure. Of the options bandied about in the last bit, I would say he was probably the only one worth noting. Guys like Bylsma or Boudreau would have really worried me.

A lot is going to be a question of the players we have available honestly. I think with Hakstol it was fairly easy to wonder about the coaching to a considerable degree. If the team now falters just as badly with a seasoned coach, it'll become increasingly obvious the problem is the roster -- and possibly always has been.

I think he’ll definitely find success. He’ll get more out of the young guys. 

Like you say, the biggest question now is what moves Fletch will make. Could be a very different roster come September. 

Another thing that stood out in the presser is Vigneault’s cool, but confident demeanour. So much so that I feel he might be a better negotiator and talent evaluator than Fletch. That bodes well for us if he’s involved with Fletch in making decisions for our off-season game plan.

10 minutes ago, elmatus said:

He's shaped up! Maybe he wants to play again.

From reports i seen this morning he has insisted Chuck trade JVR  so he can have his number...who knew...so long JVR!!!

FKDmTJ8M?format=jpg&name=600x314

He is going to play 2nd line center and show Patrick how it's done!!!!!!

• Haha 2

I like Vigneault as a coach, and always hoped the Oilers could land him. He identifies a player's abilities and tries to use those talents to put them in a position to succeed:

-He does his best to create line mis-matches on the ice, and doesn't roll 4 lines in order.

-Offensive players will get a lot of offensive zone starts.

-Defensive players will get a LOT of defensive zone starts.

• Like 1

To me this best part of what AV has to say is right in this clip...

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/vigneault-coaching-philosophy/t-277437426/c-67812803

"Let's not shy away from the player's responsibility in this, it is their responsibility to get themselves in that mental state, that mental zone where you go out on the ice and you execute, you perform and you compete!"

That is it right there in a nutshell, all he has to do, all they need to do, this rest will take care itself if they do this.

If they do this they will win a Cup.

If the identify those who can do this and get rid of those players and bring the players in that can replace them, they will win a Cup!

BOTTOM LINE!

Edited by OccamsRazor
GO WIN A DAMN CUP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!