A Night When CBJ and NYI Should Make us Mad

Howie58

On 4/17/2019 at 2:08 PM, ruxpin said:

But that doesn't excuse the cap room we left on the table last summer. Maybe the options just weren't there last summer. 

As usual, I'm just curious what moves you think Hextall should have made last summer?

https://www.nhl.com/news/free-agency-signings-2018/c-299340484

I'll wait.

From where I sit, the move that should have been made was firing Hakstol and that had nothing to do with the cap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

As usual, I'm just curious what moves you think Hextall should have made last summer?

I'll wait.

From where I sit, the move that should have been made was firing Hakstol and that had nothing to do with the cap.

While I am in agreement with your comment "Radoran" (or whatever moniker you're going by at this moment) I'm also smart enough to realize this disagreement you're having is actually with yourself to pull the wool over everyones eyes you sneaky devil!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

While I am in agreement with your comment "Radoran" (or whatever moniker you're going by at this moment) I'm also smart enough to realize this disagreement you're having is actually with yourself to pull the wool over everyones eyes you sneaky devil!

@flyercanuck

I too find it interesting when 'ruxpin' and 'radoran'  argue with each other.  I think 'they' are trying to get their post counts up😏

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

3 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

@flyercanuck

I too find it interesting when 'ruxpin' and 'radoran'  argue with each other.  I think 'they' are trying to get their post counts up😏

Thing is, when I'm wrong, I just have to point it out.

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I'll wait.

I think all that is valid.  I mean, as it was Hextall signed arguably the second best player available. 

I wouldn't advocate spending just to spend.  

I completely agree on the Hakstol thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Thing is, when I'm wrong, I just have to point it out.

😎

One of these times I need to remember to let the ruxpin login be right just so it's not so damn obvious. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

One of these times I need to remember to let the ruxpin login be right just so it's not so damn obvious. 

Look, we've got a good schtick going here.

Let's not ruin it.

• Haha 2

It does appear that Hextall at least reached out to Tavares, and tried to sign Statsny (I believe to a shorter term/higher AAV than he signed for in Vegas). In the end, sometimes you miss. At least he seemed to learn his lesson after the Weise signing, and didn't sign players just to sign players.

Not firing Hakstol, especially once Trotz became available, was the worst move of his tenure.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 1:15 PM, AJgoal said:

Not firing Hakstol, especially once Trotz became available, was the worst move of his tenure.

So much this. I don't know if Trotz would have agreed to it, but I somehow doubt Hexy even tried. He absolutely should have. Why he remained so loyal to Hakstol despite the glaring failures is well beyond my pay grade.

52 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Why he remained so loyal to Hakstol despite the glaring failures is well beyond my pay grade.

I'm sure in no small part because he pried him away from a cherry college coaching job where Dave was quite successful.

I'll bet Ron felt like he needed to give Dave the BOD to justify blowing up his life for the opportunity. 

Hextall strikes me as a "relationships" guy. Those guys don't easily bend to public pressure when they give their word to someone. 

Edited by mojo1917

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll bet Ron felt like he needed to give Dave the BOD to justify blowing up his life for the opportunity. 

If someone would like to give me $10M, I'd let them "blow up" my life for the opportunity...

I would even move out of North Dakota. No, seriously. I would.

👺

@radoran

There is more to life than just money...sheesh...keep in mind this is coming from a person with no money, so maybe ® I don't know what I'm talking about. 

Ma and Pa Hakstol live out in North Dakota, blah blah blah, it's a lot go from being the big fish in the medium pond you've known for 15 years to being just one of 20 other guys to do a job in a city.

Hak could have kept on rolling to the frozen four every other year, eventually winning one or two, retired having had a building on campus and street named for him.  To get pulled from that life to having Sam Carchidi asking you about jet skiing... and why Dale Weiss is getting big minutes is "blowing up a life". Even if it is for ludicrous $ .

• Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

There is more to life than just money...sheesh...keep in mind this is coming from a person with no money, so maybe ® I don't know what I'm talking about. 

Ma and Pa Hakstol live out in North Dakota, blah blah blah, it's a lot go from being the big fish in the medium pond you've known for 15 years to being just one of 20 other guys to do a job in a city.

Hak could have kept on rolling to the frozen four every other year, eventually winning one or two, retired having had a building on campus and street named for him.  To get pulled from that life to having Sam Carchidi asking you about jet skiing... and why Dale Weiss is getting big minutes is "blowing up a life". Even if it is for ludicrous $ .

Oh, I getcha. I really do.

That said, I think an NHL General Manager worrying about that is doing a disservice to his organization - if that is, indeed, what happened.

Oh. and, my offer still stands. 😎

image.png

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, radoran said:

If someone would like to give me $10M, I'd let them "blow up" my life for the opportunity...

I would even move out of North Dakota. No, seriously. I would.

👺

I'd even move TO North Dakota

• Haha 2

@radoran @AJgoal

I'm just happy that guy isn't the coach anymore.

Honestly, I'd have preferred it if Hextall had fed Hak to the dragons. 

I really think that 25 to 40 days reflected so poorly on this organization, I really wonder who would want to come to town to coach or play. 

That firing and non-hiring and leaking and firing and getting the guy from the A was like an episode right out of here comes honey boo-boo. Staggering in it's complete incompetence.  

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

Well this thread could easily be expanded to add a few more teams to the "make us mad" list.

Columbus

NY Isles (though they were higher seed, they're just not very good on paper)

Dallas

Colorado

You know, it's possible that all the lower seeds except Pittsburgh win their 1st round matchups. 

What does that mean? True parity? 

Honestly, the only TRUE upset is Tampa losing to anyone in the 1st round. 

The other one I would also call an upset is Calgary losing to the Avs. Everyone else was close enough in the season that it's a coin toss, really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brelic said:

What does that mean? True parity

Sure and two of those teams have Vezina candidates on them too.

Stopping the puck always helps.

So which has been stated around here numerous times if the Flyers can just get some better goaltending which Hart was providing they should be in the playoff hunt for sure.

AV still has his work cut out for him.

They should have a shrink on retainer...