Sorry. Can’t resist!

SpikeDDS

@notfondajane

You and I will be waiting a LONG time before that happens. Even for the opportunity for that to happen.

We’re not close. And by the time we are, excepting another miracle draft lottery win for the Pens, they will be well into their decline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

@notfondajane

You and I will be waiting a LONG time before that happens. Even for the opportunity for that to happen.

We’re not close. And by the time we are, excepting another miracle draft lottery win for the Pens, they will be well into their decline.

I'm hoping sooner than later. 

I'm beginning to think that the decline is starting, tho the Pens are still contendersn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I'm hoping sooner than later. 

I'm beginning to think that the decline is starting, tho the Pens are still contendersn.

Well, if the DRW history has anything to say, you may be right. Our decline began with the loss to the Pens in the 2009 SCFs. We didn’t lose by much. Some would argue we lost because Malkin was given a pass. But the succeeding seasons say that the decline had begun. We were actually competitive for a few more seasons, but soon we were simply making the playoffs. And then we were struggling to make the playoffs. And then we were trading all of our future talent to extend our streak of struggling to barely make the playoffs and exit quietly in the first round. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is the beginning of the decline.

The question is whether the Wings can get better fast enough to make the playoffs before the Pens stop making it. They actually might. Despite being the 4th worst team, we lost a whole lot of 1-goal games this season. We may be closer than it feels like we are. 

But even if they do start making the playoffs, it won’t be the same thing as it was in ‘08-‘09. If the Wings and Pens are to meet in the next couple of years, it will likely mean only that the winner gets the opportunity to lose to another real contender in the next round. 

But I must admit that as a DRW fan the idea of the Wings becoming good enough to send Sid to the golf course—the circle becoming complete—sounds pretty good!

Gotta love hockey!

• Good Post 1

13 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Well, if the DRW history has anything to say, you may be right. Our decline began with the loss to the Pens in the 2009 SCFs. We didn’t lose by much. Some would argue we lost because Malkin was given a pass. But the succeeding seasons say that the decline had begun. We were actually competitive for a few more seasons, but soon we were simply making the playoffs. And then we were struggling to make the playoffs. And then we were trading all of our future talent to extend our streak of struggling to barely make the playoffs and exit quietly in the first round. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is the beginning of the decline.

The question is whether the Wings can get better fast enough to make the playoffs before the Pens stop making it. They actually might. Despite being the 4th worst team, we lost a whole lot of 1-goal games this season. We may be closer than it feels like we are. 

But even if they do start making the playoffs, it won’t be the same thing as it was in ‘08-‘09. If the Wings and Pens are to meet in the next couple of years, it will likely mean only that the winner gets the opportunity to lose to another real contender in the next round. 

But I must admit that as a DRW fan the idea of the Wings becoming good enough to send Sid to the golf course—the circle becoming complete—sounds pretty good!

Gotta love hockey!

Yes it has to be the best sport going. 

I'm hoping Pens GM Jim Rutherford begins the rebuild this draft. (I doubt it.) It would shorten the time the time we send the Wings home crying in their Wheaties!

The Pens are at the point to where we are happy just to make the playoffs. They showed no interest in playing past the the New York Rangers. The Pens were done in December. 

I'm hoping for some changes in personnel. I sensed somehow there was some kind of problem in the locker room. The team didn't seem that they were in sync with the game they were playing. They seemed like the communication wasn't there. 

I'm expecting a few assistant coaches to be let go. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two around draft day to start the rebuild. I'm thinking PHIL Kessel maybe traded. (Tho nothing to my knowledge has been said.)

If this done I'm hoping for a draft pick or a prospect or two.