Do the Flyers make the playoffs next season???

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I think "making the playoffs" would be a low bar for the franchise.  It's been seven years without a playoff series win.  We need that win next year.  Anything less will be a terrible disappointment 

Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm very wary of expecting too much of this roster. We've been hearing the whole "2-3 years from now" mantra for 6-7 years now. At this point, I'm in more of an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.

Not saying it's impossible. I've been at Hakstol's throat for years now, and I want to believe he was the major problem on this team. But there is also the very real possibility this team has player issues that may not be resolved with just a change of coaching staff.

Anyway, we'll see what next year brings. I like that we have a new coaching staff. That's not nothing. I'm just finished with the high expectations for turn around.

TL;DR: Show me significant progress, or GTFO. I'm done with the feint hopes.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm very wary of expecting too much of this roster. We've been hearing the whole "2-3 years from now" mantra for 6-7 years now. At this point, I'm in more of an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.

Not saying it's impossible. I've been at Hakstol's throat for years now, and I want to believe he was the major problem on this team. But there is also the very real possibility this team has player issues that may not be resolved with just a change of coaching staff.

Anyway, we'll see what next year brings. I like that we have a new coaching staff. That's not nothing. I'm just finished with the high expectations for turn around.

TL;DR: Show me significant progress, or GTFO. I'm done with the feint hopes.

Elmatus:

I agree with you.  Dave Isaac of the Courier Post said he was sick of the team "being a year away from being a year away."  In a league in which 50% of the teams make the playoffs, it really means you are quite poor if you're on the outside.  On paper, we should qualify given the talent.  But....maybe the talent isn't really there.  Then the coaching change nets to little.  I guess we see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Elmatus:

I agree with you.  Dave Isaac of the Courier Post said he was sick of the team "being a year away from being a year away."  In a league in which 50% of the teams make the playoffs, it really means you are quite poor if you're on the outside.  On paper, we should qualify given the talent.  But....maybe the talent isn't really there.  Then the coaching change nets to little.  I guess we see.

I am going to guess they will be better on the shoulders of goaltending alone. I will bet we don't go through EIGHT goalies next season......

• Like 1

Flyers may have made the POs this year if they had competent goaltending for the entire year.  So, assuming they get said goaltending next year, adding AV behind the bench should absolutely result in PO spot.  The question is whether they can win a round or two.  I don't think better goaltending and coaching is enough to accomplish that.  The roster needs improvement.  That's where Fletcher really needs to earn his money this offseason.

Dmen that don't get mesmerized by the Puck and watch it , keep watching it til it ends up behind our prodigal goalie after he stops the first two or three shots in a row on him..... Imo, a few forward moves maybe a change or two in personnel but definitely need to address the defense, these newbies haven't proven themselves yet... (Imo) 

Edited by Special guest speaker
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, Special guest speaker said:

Anyone on the current staff you would like to see stay??? 

I actually think keeping Rick Wilson might be a positive for the young defensemen, but LaPerriere and Knoblauch can go. 

I don't know about Dillenbaugh, but I would have preferred they not have driven Reese away. To me, the goalies have just been OK since then, while Reese seemed to get the most out of them.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Your sorry ass Flyers are no better off right now.  Freakin hanging your hats on this kid in goal?  What is he going to do with facing 50 shots a night.  Punks

forgot your meds again Rick?

Edited by murraycraven

On 4/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, murraycraven said:

forgot your meds again Rick?

You'll be needing them when he's stopping 50 shots a game.... Punks ...hah  ---  we're from Philly so what's that tell you??? We've been called a helluva lot worse...

Edited by Special guest speaker

Too borrow a quote from AV but to me when the Flyers solve this problem...

"People talk about playing good defense and that's the forecheck or the D-zone coverage," Vigneault said. "Yeah, it is, it's because you don't have the puck, but you've got to know what to do with the puck, and when you do know what to do with the puck, then a lot of times you're not defending as much."

...which plagues them then they will start to get back to consistently winning.

They keep this roster intact with no improvements in depth scoring or a solid two way veteran defenseman, and they aren't making the playoffs. They aren't better than Washington , Columbus, Boston, Carolina, the Islanders, Tampa or Toronto..probably not even Pittsburgh. as presently constituted. There goes making the playoffs.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, Special guest speaker said:

I know it's real early and we haven't even had the draft or free agent frenzy  yet, but do you think AV does enough changing of the mindset to get the Flyers on track early enough so we're not struggling to even sniff the playoffs again?

I expect next season to have it's ups and downs (mostly in the form of Carter getting his big boy skates under him throughout the season) and in terms of the Defense coming to terms with a full year under the same coach, but I also expect them to be quite good. 

The thing is, they were quite good this year when they finally got an actual coach.  

Under a real NHL coach who knows the game a bit better than Hakstol did and who has them for training camp, I fully expect to see a better version of the team that was playing .750 hockey for a good stretch in the second half.  

For many obvious reasons we have a lot of pessimists here, but I don't think this is just me being blindly optimistic.  Everything I saw from them once the losing streak ended made sense to me.  They were put in a position to succeed, but they looked a little unsteady on their feet.  A little unfamiliar with being able to actually compete... but no longer utterly confused and unable to at all.  

Add in what Fletcher looks to be ready to add (even if he just follows his MO and plays it safe and boring) and I'm pretty convinced we'll be seeing a good team next and for a bunch of years to come.  The cap worked and the league is more competitive now, but the long story short is that I can't imagine this team not making the playoffs.  

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

They keep this roster intact with no improvements in depth scoring or a solid two way veteran defenseman, and they aren't making the playoffs. They aren't better than Washington , Columbus, Boston, Carolina, the Islanders, Tampa or Toronto..probably not even Pittsburgh. as presently constituted. There goes making the playoffs.

They are better than Washingon, Columbus won't be the same Columbus, They're better than Boston, And I think they'll be on par with Carolina.  They're better than the Islanders and they're on par (somehow because this makes no sense) with Toronto (who I can only assume is simply playing well below their abilities).  Also remember Toronto isn't going to be the same Toronto.   No one's as good as Tampa... except they got their butts kicked in the first round, so... 

Their current roster isn't going to remain in tact and if it does, I still think they'll make the playoffs, but just with a new GM. 

They will add a solid two way veteran Dman.  They will likely add a 2C or 3C at least and hopefully a 3RW (though if they get the right center, they'll likely just try out Frost at RW).  

But the long and short is they don't need those things to make the playoffs.  They need an NHL coach. 

Scott Gordon is barely an NHL coach, but he got them playing .750 hockey without a traning camp and making dramatic system shifts mid season on the fly.  

They're a solid team.  It's easy to hate them and think they're not good enough... but I promise you.  They are a solid team that has been poorly coached since Berube was put in charge (and at that point they were actually still a mediocre to bad team talent wise).

Vigneault might not be the innovative guy to take them all the way, but he's solid enough to get the talent on this team to being highly competitive again.

The thing I'm worried most about is Giroux getting enough rest with the new baby on the way.  

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Columbus will not be the same after this offseason so that opens a spot right there.

Toronto too won't be the same and have many issues to resolve.

And i'm not convinced the Isles can do this again because they have quite a few guys who need new contracts too.

Don't underestimate what solid goaltending for a WHOLE season and a solid coach can do for this club.

They aren't far off....and all the kids will be older and wiser...to soon to say what CAN'T happen.

They only need a few tweaks. Get the damn power play going and they are a playoff team....you heard it here first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too borrow a quote from AV but to me when the Flyers solve this problem...

"People talk about playing good defense and that's the forecheck or the D-zone coverage," Vigneault said. "Yeah, it is, it's because you don't have the puck, but you've got to know what to do with the puck, and when you do know what to do with the puck, then a lot of times you're not defending as much."

...which plagues them then they will start to get back to consistently winning.

This is one of the reasons that I have sympathy for Gordon.  He essentially doesn't have the job because he couldn't solve this issue.  But he was never going to when he took over the team mid season like that.  It's a complete system overhaul that you need training camp for.  As it was, he got them playing much much better IN their zone and he got them scoring much much more and often off the rush.  

So my only fear with AV saying this is that they're going to stop trying to score off the transition in order to control play more and have less D zone time.  

A lot of their talent is pretty good at scoring off the transition or quickly after entering the zone, not cycling. 

If they're going to star cycling, I'm not sure they have the size for the corners, though they could  unleash ghost and sanheim and TK and maybe Frost to do a lot more skating rather than corner digging.  

Long story short, AV is right, you're right... but they can't completely give up their bread and butter goals in the name of not playing defense as much.  

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They're better than Boston

I agree with mostly everything you just said in fact i pretty much said a lot of it before even getting to read this but i have to disagree they are better than Boston....they have to show me first. On paper they can be but they have to show me first.

But most of these teams have a lot to get resolved this offseason and the Flyers only have a few holes to fill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

So my only fear with AV saying this is that they're going to stop trying to score off the transition in order to control play more and have less D zone time.  

There is nothing to really fear because this will more than likely bring the goals score for up and the goals scored against down translating into more wins therefor making the playoffs to join the dance.

And it could be filled with ups and downs and they try and figure things out as they go.

There is no switch to flip they all have to work together on this to get to where they need to be.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree with mostly everything you just said in fact i pretty much said a lot of it before even getting to read this but i have to disagree they are better than Boston....they have to show me first. On paper they can be but they have to show me first.

But most of these teams have a lot to get resolved this offseason and the Flyers only have a few holes to fill.

They beat Boston 2 out of 3 this season.  They're at least on Par with them. 

Edited by King Knut

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

There is nothing to really fear because this will more than likely bring the goals score for up and the goals scored against down translating into more wins therefor making the playoffs to join the dance.

And it could be filled with ups and downs and they try and figure things out as they go.

There is no switch to flip they all have to work together on this to get to where they need to be.

I don't know about that switch.  Firing Hakstol and making a few subtle shifts pretty much flipped a switch for this team.   Carter Hart didn't hurt either.