Do the Flyers make the playoffs next season???

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

you 're implying he would have to have a bad year for the team to not make the playoffs ?

No. I just am stubborn to give up on him.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

I don't want to give up on him either.  I would like to see him win in Phila. and not somewhere else whilst we're enjoying the first pick in a weak draft, an all star AHL player and a few journeyman top 9 players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

What about trading Voracek to Winnipeg for Trouba and a pick?

I like the thought of Trouba and he also needs a new deal so who do you move out on the blueline for him??

I don't think Trouba is a top pair D man though so depending on what he wants could change my mind.

And what round is the pick??? And now bigger question who fills Jake's 2nd line RW spot??

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I like the thought of Trouba and he also needs a new deal so who do you move out on the blueline for him??

I don't think Trouba is a top pair D man though so depending on what he wants could change my mind.

And what round is the pick??? And now bigger question who fills Jake's 2nd line RW spot??

Trouba and a 1st, I hope. Maybe Gustav Nyquist takes Voracek's spot, if he doesn't re-sign in San Jose.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh sorry not with that contract...Doughty is on the books for 11 mill per till 36....uh nope....

Yeah but you know what you're gonna get outta him consistently not streaky like jerk vorachoke... it's time for him to move on.... IMO I don't think he's truly a team player he's so one track minded it's pathetic that's why he gives the Puck up so much, he don't pass unless it's to g (or ghost sometimes) too predictable and easy to defend his passes.... Besides they'll have the money.. they'll sink it all in one player and not do anything else cause that's what the idiots in the front office do , sabotage this team

.. the flyers will NOT win a cup as long as Bobby Clarke and Paul holmgren  are alive....  I would be willing to bet on that too.... And I'm a life long FLYERS fan , but I'm also a realist..... Get rid of those two and this team will flourish.....

58 minutes ago, Special guest speaker said:

Yeah but you know what you're gonna get outta him consistently not streaky like jerk vorachoke... it's time for him to move on.... IMO I don't think he's truly a team player he's so one track minded it's pathetic that's why he gives the Puck up so much, he don't pass unless it's to g (or ghost sometimes) too predictable and easy to defend his passes.... Besides they'll have the money.. they'll sink it all in one player and not do anything else cause that's what the idiots in the front office do , sabotage this team

.. the flyers will NOT win a cup as long as Bobby Clarke and Paul holmgren  are alive....  I would be willing to bet on that too.... And I'm a life long FLYERS fan , but I'm also a realist..... Get rid of those two and this team will flourish.....

You aren't getting Doughty for Voracek without a significant addition by the Flyers and no, Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe or additional first round picks is not an option. 

As for Holmgren and Clarke, they're figureheads. Clarke does nothing but appear at events. If he's asked for something, he'll give input, but he has no say in day to day matters of running the team. As for Holmgren, he was quite hands off with Hextall, but towards the end, Hextall was not receptive to making changes to the club and often had disagreements with ownership on the direction of the club. It's also been noted that Hextall was often disrespecting of ownership and he micromanaged to a the point that it was a distraction. Hiring Gord Murphy so he could be a spy for Hextall? That crosses a line. 

Don't mistake this for giving Holmgren and Clarke a pass for their past indiscretions. At the same time, they get much needless blame for things they have had no control over. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Holmgren, he was quite hands off with Hextall, but towards the end, Hextall was not receptive to making changes to the club and often had disagreements with ownership on the direction of the club.

I'm on board with this - to an extent.

Aside from firing Hakstol - which absolutely, no question, should have been done - I don't know what other moves he was "expected" to make that he didn't - and after he was fired his replacement managed to deal:

Jordan Weal for Jacob Graves and a 6th
Taylor Leier for Justin Bailey
Dale Weiss + Christian Folin for Bryon Froese + David Schlemko
Anthony Stolarz for Cam Talbot
Wayne Simmonds for Ryan Hartman and a conditional 4th

Hardly anything earth-shattering. Bailey (23 games) and Hartman (24) were the only skaters to suit up for the NHL team and their combined 2 goals and 5 assists didn't do terribly much for the direction of the team. Remains to be seen what they will do with Talbot.

And the team was virtually out of options when they were basically forced to call up Hart, which they didn't do until the day they fired Hakstol - and only because Stolarz went down with an(other) injury. Presuming that not firing Hakstol was the straw that broke the "disrespected" ownership's back, why did they wait another three+ weeks to pull that plug??

Hextall signed the (arguably) #2 overall UFA this past offseason, drafted the Frost, Farabee and Ratcliffe you mention (in addition to Sanheim, Lindblom, Konecny, Provorov, Patrick, and Hart), signed Couturier to a tremendously team-friendly deal and Gotstobehere for a pretty good number as well.

I get that Dave Scott and some Comcast Spectacor functionaries had their feelings hurt. I get that the team was underperforming - again, for the third coach in seven years. I get that that third coach in seven years needed to go.

But this was only starting to turn into "Hextall's team" - and they had to dig out from the wreckage Paul Holmgren wrought for, arguably, the first three years of Hextall's tenure.

Which is to say that the team will be benefiting from the "plan" that Hextall put in motion for the next 3-5 years. And that this offseason was the consequential one in that plan where there are good pieces to be had and - potentially - cap room to go get them.

I wouldn't think for a moment that the "Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffes" of the world are "untouchable" under a new "win now" mandate.

But at least the team is actually built to start winning.

We'll see whether they do.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hiring Gord Murphy so he could be a spy for Hextall? That crosses a line. 

I'm not sure I get this at all. How is hiring a coach to "spy" on the head coach the GM hired - and apparently at least in part got fired for not firing - "crossing a line"? What line?

And, again, why wait three+ weeks after firing Hextall to can his "spy"?

Legitimately curious.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Do the Flyers make the playoffs next season???

only if they trade the franchise to another city

I think the predominant thought is they should make the playoffs. That said, this was the predominant thought last season, and they did not -- so here we are.

Given their recent history, it's hard to bet on them either way. Having new coaching and goaltending helps, but the roster beyond that remains largely the same so far, which complicates things as far as predictions go.

I'm going to say yes just because I think that's better than saying no. I think a less-biased and more realistic onlooker would probably consider them a bubble team though.

Edited by elmatus

6 hours ago, elmatus said:

but the roster beyond that remains largely the same so far, which complicates things as far as predictions go.

if hayes doesnt sign here that's why and if they dont make any moves, i would say no.

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

if hayes doesnt sign here that's why and if they dont make any moves, i would say no.

Maybe, but the coaching staff has undergone a complete overhaul, and we'll be starting the season with a goalie that has very high potential for the first time in decades. That's not nothing.

One thing I can say: This season will give us a better understanding of how important coaching is. If the team looks to be considerably improved compared to last year, it's entirely likely coaching will be the single biggest reason why.

• Good Post 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, FD19372 said:

Trouba and a 1st, I hope. Maybe Gustav Nyquist takes Voracek's spot, if he doesn't re-sign in San Jose.

Why would the Jets do this? They have Wheeler, Laine, and Roslovic on the right side. Roslovic is not there yet, but he's younger and cheaper and more appropriate for the third line.  I don't think Voracek makes the slightest bit of sense for Winnipeg. 

I live this time of year. Things rarely make sense. I love checking the local fishwrap in Philly every day. They have them possibly drafting everyone. I keep waiting to see a write on the availability and fit of @Podein25. 

11 hours ago, elmatus said:

Maybe, but the coaching staff has undergone a complete overhaul, and we'll be starting the season with a goalie that has very high potential for the first time in decades. That's not nothing.

One thing I can say: This season will give us a better understanding of how important coaching is. If the team looks to be considerably improved compared to last year, it's entirely likely coaching will be the single biggest reason why.

Yeah, the coaching and a full season with a goalie in net. 

The Flyers will have a much better record than last year even if the do nothing.  But this doesn't happen in stasis, right? Other teams are improving. 

The Penguins are slipping, but who knows what they pull off. Columbus seems like the wheels are about to come off. 

Pencil in Washington, Islanders (maybe not. Maybe put them in the next group), Carolina. Should be a mad scrum for the 4th spot between flyers, pens, Panthers, devils, and who knows? 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, the coaching and a full season with a goalie in net

I think a full year of Carter Hart and his hopefully solid backup, basically stability in net while pay huge dividends.

I think the roster only needs a few tweaks and i know there have been many who have said it including me they need a vet D man but with the addition of Mike Yeo i think it could be huge help with the kids.

I wish i had posted the article i read with comments from Pietrangelo and Parayko that they gave a lot of credit to what Yeo did helping to coach them up and how much they loved and will miss him. And maybe he can help the Flyers blueline grow and mature.

I don't think Yeo is a good head coach but i think he is a very smart assistant and i guess we'll see.

And who knows not to discredit Berube or anything but who knows if Yeo would have kept his job had Armstrong called Binnington up and he be put in net for him....sure you can't say the results would all be the same but Binnington when he came up was huge is getting Berube off the hot seat he basically saved that club.

Any way back on topic maybe Yeo can help gets the kids going....hopefully he can get 65 point Ghost back that could be huge if he can.