First ever - Iowa Wild Playoffs

hf101

Watched the game last night; and I've watched their last 4 games.  Here are some thoughts.

Cal O'Reilly, Matt Read, Will Bitten, and especially Gerald Mayhew play like they really want to win every night.  They give all the effort they can muster and most of the dangerous scoring chances comes through this group and their efforts.  Kyle Rau and Sam Anas have flashes, but I still think they could be more assertive.  I'd like to see the Wild use Mitch McLain as a screen on the power play.  I think he's more into the game right now than Greenway and even though he's not as big I think he's strong and has underrated hands.

Ryan Donato and Jordan Greenway, mostly kind of going through the motions.  They could give more, but only seem to want to only play the game to a certain level and then coast the rest of the time.  Greenway has been especially sort of 'lazy' to me.  He isn't using his big body to protect the puck down low like he did with Minnesota at times this season.  Donato seems kind of lost, like he doesn't know where he should be.  Especially in his own end.  

Luke Kunin is trying, but even he seems to be holding back just a bit.  But he's working pretty hard compared to Donato and Greenway.  

On the blueline, the group looks pretty solid.  Brennan Menell, Louie Belpedio and Matt Bartkowski all move the puck pretty well.  Soucy and Warner like to hit and Nate Prosser continues to be the unselfish soldier he's always been.  He'll block shots, make simple plays and is certainly playing like a veteran who cares.  

Hammond has been decent and given them a chance to win each night IMO.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Watched the game last night; and I've watched their last 4 games.  Here are some thoughts.

Cal O'Reilly, Matt Read, Will Bitten, and especially Gerald Mayhew play like they really want to win every night.  They give all the effort they can muster and most of the dangerous scoring chances comes through this group and their efforts.  Kyle Rau and Sam Anas have flashes, but I still think they could be more assertive.  I'd like to see the Wild use Mitch McLain as a screen on the power play.  I think he's more into the game right now than Greenway and even though he's not as big I think he's strong and has underrated hands.

Ryan Donato and Jordan Greenway, mostly kind of going through the motions.  They could give more, but only seem to want to only play the game to a certain level and then coast the rest of the time.  Greenway has been especially sort of 'lazy' to me.  He isn't using his big body to protect the puck down low like he did with Minnesota at times this season.  Donato seems kind of lost, like he doesn't know where he should be.  Especially in his own end.  

Luke Kunin is trying, but even he seems to be holding back just a bit.  But he's working pretty hard compared to Donato and Greenway.  

On the blueline, the group looks pretty solid.  Brennan Menell, Louie Belpedio and Matt Bartkowski all move the puck pretty well.  Soucy and Warner like to hit and Nate Prosser continues to be the unselfish soldier he's always been.  He'll block shots, make simple plays and is certainly playing like a veteran who cares.  

Hammond has been decent and given them a chance to win each night IMO.  

I just hope these young guys aren't pouting because they got sent to the AHL. You're in the Playoffs! So what if it's in the AHL? What would you be doing in the NHL? Getting ready to hit the links, that's what.

And if those guys think it's better to be in the NHL and out golfing than in the AHL and in a Playoff series, then the Wild are going to be no better off than they were before the trades...

• Like 2

Disappointed in the reports on Greenway & Donato.  Russo also stated he thought Greenway was playing at "half speed".  

Hopes it's an aberration and not a character issue.

• Like 3

I am also disappointing about Greenway and Donato's play. Practically no goals out their play. Are they planning to be a real future of a Wild core? I was expecting much much more out of their production in these playoffs as a real reinforcement coming from the Wild team. Only Kunin producing kind of well from that trio.

Agree with LIG and IllaZilla too. After the Stanley and Gagarin Cups this Calder Cup is the most difficult and toughest one in the world, which started its history in 1936-1937. Our previous farm club  Huston Aeros was able to win only once the Calder Cup. The last time  we were capable to reach  just the finals in 2010-2011. This year our very nice team is able to reach finals of that prestigious Cup too, but we need much much more goals ,speed and energy from our reinforcement trio(Greenway, Donato, Kunin) in comparison of what we have seen now in 7 games.

• Like 2

Nicely written article by Franc Seravalli I have read on Carolina site of a Hockeyforums.net at the “Behind of Bunch Jerks’ Rise to the Eastern Conference Final” thread. Wish that every Wild and Iowa Wild player will read it as well as our fans.

Have some interesting observations:

- regarding a Calder Cup, and for this season especially, because our Iowa Wild team involved for the first time into it.

The most Cups(11) of this Championship holding so far in 82 years of history Hershey Bears as the farm club of the Washington Capitals since 2005. Actually our coach Bruce Boudreau was very successful there and won the Calder Cup in 2006 with that team and with our Wild player Eric Fehr who helped to advanced Bears to the finals of that season by placing a winning goal against Portland Pirates in game 7. What is that mean? That means that Capitals organization taking very seriously to the Calder Cup title as a future prospect preparation for the big club. This year Hershey Bears advanced to the second round and playing against the best AHL team this season – Charlotte Checkers(110 points;51 wins out of 76 games), which is a farm club of the Carolina Hurricanes team. IMO both Carolina clubs (Hurricanes and Checkers) are doing extremely well this season at the Stanley Cup and Calder Cup respectively.

- regarding our club of this Calder Cup.

So far Iowa Wild team is a very good one, but still is not enough to feel more stronger against Chicago Wolves. LIG made a nice observations of our players – pluses and minuses out of their play. The good efforts coming so far from Minnesotans too– Menell, McLain, Rau, Prosser. Interesting that McLain played 58 games(10 goals;10 assists) during the regular season mainly with Sokolov in a 4th line (who had 16 goals;14 assists out of 60 games). McLain is playing already 5 playoff games out of 8, but Sokolov having none games yet. Wish to see at least few games for Sokolov too at these playoffs series. Maybe he will make his influence into the winning mode against a very tough team Wolves? Who knows?

- regarding our reinforcement trio (Greenway, Donato, Kunin).

They all should be proud that the Wild organization trusted them more than to Ek and to Fiala for advancing the Iowa Wild team to the playoffs season and for the participation to play for this difficult Cup.

Edited by Alexandron

IOWA WILD WINNNN!!!! with a score of 2:0. Kunin put the 1st goal, and Matt Read assisted to it. At the end of the game Read put one into empty net from an assist of Greenway. Donato and Belpedio had a nice efforts too each by placing 4 shots towards the opponent net. Overall, it was extremely hard game on our home ice.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Have some interesting observations:

- regarding a Calder Cup, and for this season especially, because our Iowa Wild team involved for the first time into it.

The most Cups(11) of this Championship holding so far in 82 years of history Hershey Bears as the farm club of the Washington Capitals since 2005. Actually our coach Bruce Boudreau was very successful there and won the Calder Cup in 2006 with that team and with our Wild player Eric Fehr who helped to advanced Bears to the finals of that season by placing a winning goal against Portland Pirates in game 7. What is that mean? That means that Capitals organization taking very seriously to the Calder Cup title as a future prospect preparation for the big club. This year Hershey Bears advanced to the second round and playing against the best AHL team this season – Charlotte Checkers(110 points;51 wins out of 76 games), which is a farm club of the Carolina Hurricanes team. IMO both Carolina clubs (Hurricanes and Checkers) are doing extremely well this season at the Stanley Cup and Calder Cup respectively.

- regarding our club of this Calder Cup.

So far Iowa Wild team is a very good one, but still is not enough to feel more stronger against Chicago Wolves. LIG made a nice observations of our players – pluses and minuses out of their play. The good efforts coming so far from Minnesotans too– Menell, McLain, Rau, Prosser. Interesting that McLain played 58 games(10 goals;10 assists) during the regular season mainly with Sokolov in a 4th line (who had 16 goals;14 assists out of 60 games). McLain is playing already 5 playoff games out of 8, but Sokolov having none games yet. Wish to see at least few games for Sokolov too at these playoffs series. Maybe he will make his influence into the winning mode against a very tough team Wolves? Who knows?

- regarding our reinforcement trio (Greenway, Donato, Kunin).

They all should be proud that the Wild organization trusted them more than to Ek and to Fiala for advancing the Iowa Wild team to the playoffs season and for the participation to play for this difficult Cup.

Eriksson-Ek was dealing with a lingering injury, so the Wild didn't want to send him to Iowa and aggravate it.

Fiala would have had to pass through waivers to get to Iowa and some team would have claimed him. Also if he was not on Iowa's "reserve" list at the start of the playoffs, he would have not been eligible to play in the AHL Playoffs...

On 5/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, 4Check said:

Disappointed in the reports on Greenway & Donato.  Russo also stated he thought Greenway was playing at "half speed".  

Hopes it's an aberration and not a character issue.

I think its the latter.  He's dogging it because he doesn't really want to be there.  

Iowa WILD WIN again!!! in game 4 against Chicago Wolves with a score 2:1. Series tied 2:2. Gerald Mayhew put 2 goals in that tough game and having already 9 goals and 1 assist in 9 playoff games. Hammond stopped 33 shots out of 34. Next game is on Friday.

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I've never been impressed with Greenway. Another Charlie Coyle.

Never thought of that comparison, but you might be on to something.   Bottom line.  WAY too many LH forwards.  Logic would suggest, since Parise and Fenton's new darlings Fiala and Donato are not likely to be traded,..... Zucker and/or Greenway would be the ones to be moved.      

1 hour ago, 4Check said:

Never thought of that comparison, but you might be on to something.   Bottom line.  WAY too many LH forwards.  Logic would suggest, since Parise and Fenton's new darlings Fiala and Donato are not likely to be traded,..... Zucker and/or Greenway would be the ones to be moved.      

Fenton already tried to trade Zucker once. Would not surprise me if he tries to unload him at the draft. That would clear another $5M in cap space. For what I don't know, because all the roster spots but one (Zuckers) would be filled. And if Fenton is trying to get "younger and faster", it doesn't make sense to bring in an older free agent. I know a lot of people want him to go after Anders Lee, but again, you're bringing in another left shot LW/C, who is older than Zucker, whose numbers are comparable to Zuckers for probably more money ($6+M).

Greenway won't go anywhere. He costs less than $1M, is waiver exempt and won't be an RFA until 2021.

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Fenton already tried to trade Zucker once. Would not surprise me if he tries to unload him at the draft. That would clear another $5M in cap space. For what I don't know, because all the roster spots but one (Zuckers) would be filled. And if Fenton is trying to get "younger and faster", it doesn't make sense to bring in an older free agent. I know a lot of people want him to go after Anders Lee, but again, you're bringing in another left shot LW/C, who is older than Zucker, whose numbers are comparable to Zuckers for probably more money ($6+M).

Greenway won't go anywhere. He costs less than $1M, is waiver exempt and won't be an RFA until 2021.

Totally agree on Lee currently not being a fit.  Not so sure that Greenway couldn't possibly be moved.  Of course your points on his cost/contract benefit limit that possibility.    IMO, depends if someone is willing to give up a RW of similar age.  Seat of the pants example...... package deal which would include Kapanen      Toronto is more cap strapped than the Wild.

1 hour ago, 4Check said:

Totally agree on Lee currently not being a fit.  Not so sure that Greenway couldn't possibly be moved.  Of course your points on his cost/contract benefit limit that possibility.    IMO, depends if someone is willing to give up a RW of similar age.  Seat of the pants example...... package deal which would include Kapanen      Toronto is more cap strapped than the Wild.

I know there were rumors that Fenton has a hard on for William Nylander, but I really don’t like him. The Wild don’t need another soft forward...

29 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I know there were rumors that Fenton has a hard on for William Nylander, but I really don’t like him. The Wild don’t need another soft forward...

His skill is tantalizing...his playoff inconsistency is worrisome.   But he is still young.  Would love to see a psychological profile   If Marner get his 10M plus per and the Leafs add a high profile RHD, I suppose Nylander is more likely to be moved than, IMO the safer option, Kapanen.

6 minutes ago, 4Check said:

His skill is tantalizing...his playoff inconsistency is worrisome.   But he is still young.  Would love to see a psychological profile   If Marner get his 10M plus per and the Leafs add a high profile RHD, I suppose Nylander is more likely to be moved than, IMO the safer option, Kapanen.

Really doesn’t matter if the Wild have all these young wingers. Every center they have is older than Methuselah...Staal, Koivu, and Rask. Eriksson-Ek will probably be relegated to the fourth line. And Sturm  will be better served playing 1C or 2C minutes in Iowa next season than 4C minutes in St Paul. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Really doesn’t matter if the Wild have all these young wingers. Every center they have is older than Methuselah...Staal, Koivu, and Rask. Eriksson-Ek will probably be relegated to the fourth line. And Sturm  will be better served playing 1C or 2C minutes in Iowa next season than 4C minutes in St Paul. 

That was f$%^in hilarious!  I had to give you a shout for that humor while watching Coyle vs. NN in the Eastern Conference Finals.  I guess they got the last laugh......

10 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

That was f$%^in hilarious!  I had to give you a shout for that humor while watching Coyle vs. NN in the Eastern Conference Finals.  I guess they got the last laugh......

That's the thing. Put those two with better players and they produce. I know in one of Russo's interviews with Nino after the trade Nino insinuated that the Wild never let him play with Granlund. Pair him with a puck distributor like Aho and suddenly he produces. And the Wild kept jerking Coyle between C and LW. His best season he was at LW. And maybe in Boston Coyle doesn't have to any pressure to be "the man". He can just play his game because there are much better players on the team and the opponent is more focused on them than Coyle...