Is Wild GM Paul Fenton In Over His Head?

CreaseAndAssist

Part of me likes to think Parise still wants to win a Stanley Cup, but Suter...nah.  He's happy he's close enough to his home to run the Madison Capitals and do literally anything he wants.  Zero pressure, no criticism (I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have a rule that says the media can't go after Suter, even it's an informal one).  I agree @IllaZilla the Country Club is going to be coasting all year next season.  

This team will have to look for a no-name coach hoping to prove himself, because I can't see any veteran coach wanting to come to a job where its pretty clear you're painted into a corner right from the start as long as #11 and especially #20 is still here.  

Koivu coaching?  :lol:  He'd be terrible.  But we'd probably sign him on as a member of the front office to try to have him schmooze the corporate crowd and play at the annual golf tournament.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Koivu coaching?  :lol:  He'd be terrible.  But we'd probably sign him on as a member of the front office to try to have him schmooze the corporate crowd and play at the annual golf tournament.  

That's why you have all those beautiful job descriptions such as "second general advisor to the special team assistant coach", "special consultant of the third alternate scout assistant" or "second executive assistant to the alternate back-up goalie advisor".

Seems that you are absolutely essential to the organization, but in fact you are just there and probably cut the lemons or prepare the warm-up towels.

2 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

That's why you have all those beautiful job descriptions such as "second general advisor to the special team assistant coach", "special consultant of the third alternate scout assistant" or "second executive assistant to the alternate back-up goalie advisor".

Seems that you are absolutely essential to the organization, but in fact you are just there and probably cut the lemons or prepare the warm-up towels.

Assistant TO the Regional Manager...

On 6/9/2019 at 8:28 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wow, and in my opinion its sad its gotten this toxic that you decided enough is enough and dropped your tickets.  I am not saying your wrong, in fact, you're speaking to them by not re-upping and I hope you had the chance to tell them why.  I haven't heard the backstabbing comments about the front office / locker room of this team.  I'd be interested to hear more of what you've heard.  

But responding to @IllaZilla, he's 100% right.  Fenton is flying by the seat of his pants.  As Russo reported, members of the organization urged him not to try to trade for Kessel but he did it anyway.  Like you said before, he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.  Oh yea, Kessel doesn't want to come here?  Let me call him, I'll persuade him.  Damn, Kessel thinks our team isn't very good and its not worth coming here even after Suter tried to convince him to do so too?  The level of delusion with this club is reaching critical levels and probably its only hope to rectify the situation is through the draft because all we're going to get is lame friends of the country club or has beens hoping to cash in.  

Its pretty bleak around this organization...

I would be happy to fill you in with more offline or at a bar.  The GM hire just dumped gunpowder into an non-contained fire.....It was time for me to cease donating to a $hit$how with no end in sight

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I would be happy to fill you in with more offline or at a bar.  The GM hire just dumped gunpowder into an non-contained fire.....It was time for me to cease donating to a $hit$how with no end in sight

Can't wait, hopefully we can make it work this Friday.  

15 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Boy is Fenton going to look like an even bigger schmuck when he trades King Clancy winner Jason Zucker at the draft...

Hope, he will not trade Jason Zucker  at all, who is having a tough time regarding his mom's battle  against  the cancer. Too serious unpredictable disease. It will be too cruel for him to do that, especially now.

Here is a link to read about it:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/jason-natalie-zucker-king-clancy-061919/c-307905970

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, EmptyShelf said:

I would love to hear what was said.  I figured this team has so many ego problems from the top down. A owner who has a severe lack of hockey IQ and thinking he should also be a GM. A GM who is flying from the seat of his pants with zero direction but thinks every player he trades for is pure gold. A GM who has his son as a scout who thinks every one of his picks is nothing but gold. A GM who's ego makes him think he is also a coach and forcing the coach to play players he doesn't want too. And then two guys who are "stars" and "leaders" showing their ego and power by doing such things as hiring a outside guy during the season to "train" them (by the way didn't do chit for them as far as improving them) and bringing him to practice when it wasn't welcomed by the coaching staff, eating dinner with the owner outside of business, making sure their friends are brought in and running with them, etc.

I feel for any coach on this team. What a crap shoot to be put into. Even some players have more power and say then you do. I am glad big name players are saying they don't want to come here. It's a trend that needs to continue until the drain the cesspool. Hopefully we can do this before 6 years as that means 11 and 20 are finally gone and the Wild stop pretending these guys actually make a impact. Before they got here the Wild averaged 85.9 points a season. Since they got here they averaged 90 points per season. So for $15 million a year they gave the Wild a whole 4.1 points (2 wins) more a season. That is a bad investment. Otherwise we have some very LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG 6 seasons coming.

To answer the thread title/Question - Yes, I am sure Fenton is a train wreck after the Zuccarrello UFA signing.    To even consider Kessell for Zucker blows my mind.  Now he signs a very small, soft, no defense aging Euro to a big, long term contract.   Just what the club needs!    🙄    We could have had Brock Nelson for what Fenton is paying this guy!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

To answer the thread title/Question - Yes, I am sure Fenton is a train wreck after the Zuccarrello UFA signing.    To even consider Kessell for Zucker blows my mind.  Now he signs a very small, soft, no defense aging Euro to a big, long term contract.   Just what the club needs!    🙄    We could have had Brock Nelson for what Fenton is paying this guy!

Yes and no.  Brock Nelson WAS interested in the Wild at one point in time, then took a look at the roster and decided to stay with the Islanders.  The Wild wanted him, but Brock didn't like what he saw.  Just like Kessel didn't like what he saw...

• Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yes and no.  Brock Nelson WAS interested in the Wild at one point in time, then took a look at the roster and decided to stay with the Islanders.  The Wild wanted him, but Brock didn't like what he saw.  Just like Kessel didn't like what he saw...

Source?  Other than the general open source media rumors, that said it was Nelson who said No.  You could assume that because he didn't even wait to become an UFA, but I haven't seen anything that says credibly what Fenton and the Wild organization really said to him.   Did we really know they even met at all?

7 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Source?  Other than the general open source media rumors, that said it was Nelson who said No.  You could assume that because he didn't even wait to become an UFA, but I haven't seen anything that says credibly what Fenton and the Wild organization really said to him.   Did we really know they even met at all?

Russo reported on both of those situations.  Nelson didn't have to re-sign with the Islanders, but he obviously did...so doesn't his actions speak for themselves?  You'd think if he REALLY wanted to be here...he could've done so.  

56 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I wish we could have gone for Brock instead but like @CreaseAndAssist said, he looked at this roster, just like Kessel and said hell no. I seen a few twitter messages about that a while ago. Can't remember who it was as I have so many that I follow. I believe Russo.

That Zuccarello signing.....sigh. Mats has been on a decline since the 2015-16 season. He is basically a Zucker in the points department. Around the same points but scores goals less. Wild need a goal scorer. So it's like they traded a set up guy, Granlund, to end up signing another set up guy around the same price except we don't know if this guy will work out. At least with Granlund we knew what we had.

21 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Russo reported on both of those situations.  Nelson didn't have to re-sign with the Islanders, but he obviously did...so doesn't his actions speak for themselves?  You'd think if he REALLY wanted to be here...he could've done so.  

Right, like I posted, not unreasonable to draw that conclusion based on the fact he re-signed with the Islanders.  My point is, did Fenton or anyone in the organization show him some love?  Actually tried to convince him to come home?  My guess is they didn't.

21 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Mats has been on a decline since the 2015-16 season. He is basically a Zucker in the points department. Around the same points but scores goals less. Wild need a goal scorer. So it's like they traded a set up guy, Granlund, to end up signing another set up guy around the same price except we don't know if this guy will work out. At least with Granlund we knew what we had.

You're being too kind...He scored in the East 61 points in his best season, definitely not a two way forward like Granlund. Doesn't have the all around game Granny does. Zucc will score 40 points this season and be a defensive liability. But hey, one can cross fingers, hope and tell me I'm a hater...

Seriously, what the hell is Fenton smoking? He's ruining an already miserable team.

21 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I wish we could have gone for Brock instead but like @CreaseAndAssist said, he looked at this roster, just like Kessel and said hell no. I seen a few twitter messages about that a while ago. Can't remember who it was as I have so many that I follow. I believe Russo.

That Zuccarello signing.....sigh. Mats has been on a decline since the 2015-16 season. He is basically a Zucker in the points department. Around the same points but scores goals less. Wild need a goal scorer. So it's like they traded a set up guy, Granlund, to end up signing another set up guy around the same price except we don't know if this guy will work out. At least with Granlund we knew what we had.

Zuccarello is not actually on the decline--his points per game has been consistent since his 3rd year or so. Nothing wrong with him as a player IMO, I like him a lot actually.

The problem is that the Wild signed him for too many years considering his age and the almost inevitable decline in production that for most players begins at about 30 or so.. To the Wilds defense he hasn't shone that decline yet, and he's got less than 10 years in the NHL, so he may be one of those guys that continues to produce at an advanced age. Even so...

The real killers are the NMC and partial no-trade in years 4-5. You just can't keep giving these clauses to older players. If it was necessary to do in order to sign him--then DON'T sign him.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Zuccarello is not actually on the decline--his points per game has been consistent since his 3rd year or so. Nothing wrong with him as a player IMO, I like him a lot actually.

The problem is that the Wild signed him for too many years considering his age and the almost inevitable decline in production that for most players begins at about 30 or so.. To the Wilds defense he hasn't shone that decline yet, and he's got less than 10 years in the NHL, so he may be one of those guys that continues to produce at an advanced age. Even so...

The real killers are the NMC and partial no-trade in years 4-5. You just can't keep giving these clauses to older players. If it was necessary to do in order to sign him--then DON'T sign him.

I still see a slight decline since his 61 point season but nothing red flag wise. I for sure agree on the contract. It drives me up the wall. Why do the Wild feel the need to give these contracts to older players with the No Move/No Trade clauses? Haven't they been burnt enough already? At this point they have put their hand in the fire so many times it's been burnt down to the bone.

I think this might the most frustrating pro sports team we have. Clearly Wild management is ignoring the clear issues. They made some game plan that they want to be younger and faster but continue to go after older and slower and lock those guys down so they can't move them. Rinse and repeat for the last 6 years and you have the Wild. They continue their slow decent to the bottom while everybody else continues to build correctly and pass the Wild. The Wild have to let go of the pipe dream that Parise, Suter and Koivu are key or corner pieces to winning a championship because they are not. They are now overpaid second string guys. The Wild have to focus on the youth and develop them including getting top TOI, PP, PK and other key moments to the youth well 11, 20 and 9 ride the pine and learn to be cheerleaders. If they become to toxic, it might suck but then healthy scratch them so they don't spread it to the youth.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:11 PM, Fargocase said:

Right, like I posted, not unreasonable to draw that conclusion based on the fact he re-signed with the Islanders.  My point is, did Fenton or anyone in the organization show him some love?  Actually tried to convince him to come home?  My guess is they didn't.

Yeah, when you have a GM that compares a prized free agent to a lizard sticking its tongue out I can see why Nelson said "Thanks, but no thanks..."

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Haha 2

Here below is a list of Zuccarello NHL injuries:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/mats-zuccarello-player-injuries

The most recent one for him (2.24.2019)was a broken arm. Still not sure after that injury, how effective he is going to be for us in a coming 2019-2020 season. So far I am kind of skeptical.

Here are his stats to compare:

https://www.nhl.com/player/mats-zuccarello-8475692

• Like 1

• 1 month later...