JVR out with concussion

Guest radoran

This is getting OUT of control. I'm not saying this (and really, really not about JVR) but if you want a few weeks off just slam yourself into the boards and say you don't feel like yourself. Now we all know JVR has 2-3 other things wrong with him. Has anyone else thought maybe teams in general are using this as an excuse to rest banged up players, in some cases? Not that I believe in conspiracy theories but this is getting crazy now...

On a side note, there go those JVR trade rumors!

@idahophilly

I agree with you IP, this might be the best injury so far. I wouldn't want to trade JVR for any dman besides Weber/Suter, was worried as heck that he would be ship for lesser value.

Now that he's sitting out with a concussion, maybe he can atleast get alittle healthier with other injuries we don't know about.

Yup. Makes sense. So who slots in?

matt read needs to get off the fourth line for one thing. He's been one of our best players and has been buried there since schenn came back into the picture.

3 & 4 lines should be:

read / schenn / simmonds

zolnierczyk / couturier / wellwood or rinaldo

matt read needs to get off the fourth line for one thing. He's been one of our best players and has been buried there since schenn came back into the picture.

3 & 4 lines should be:

read / schenn / simmonds

zolnierczyk / couturier / wellwood or rinaldo

I'd rather see

Read/Briere/Simmonds

Voracek/Schenn/Talbot

Z/Cooter/Rinaldo

I remember a few weeks back when Voracek and Talbot were paired together for 2-3 games, they seemed to have good chemistry. Talbot got a few goals, Voracek was picking up assists and played like a man on a mission. And I think having Schenn in the mix (instead of JVR who was on that line) will make it stronger. So in reality, Read/Briere/Simmonds becomes the "3rd" line.

@idahophilly -really, any player who feels like taking a few weeks off can just say they're "not feeling themself lately" and "i think i may have been hit in the head at some point, but i'm not sure" and almost instantly the 'concussion' 911 team' come from every direction to comfort the player.

sure, concussions are real..but i really think teams are liberally using the label for insurance purposes to protect them in the long run against players who claim long term damages because they were not properly diagnosed.

Ok, thinking about this, I hope he stays injured for 5 weeks. I didn't want to trade him any way and he's are only really movable piece to bring back a major return. I'm one of the few who have said not to make any moves anyway so maybe this works for my ideas...

So you *hope* one of our players is sidelined 5 weeks with concussion problems just so that the GM can't try to improve our team by trading him away to bring back a major return?

Yeah, makes sense.

lol... No , just don't want the GM listening to a whole bunch of want-a-be GM's and make a trade we don't have to. And I doubt he would do that anyway so was tongue in cheek because it supports my point that we have time to make a deal yet. I wonder who the bad guy will be tomorrow? Bryz, Bob, Lavi, Homer (as always)? Maybe Briere or Carle? Guess we will get that pound of flesh tomorrow? It's ALWAYSomeone, unless it's an overwhelming win (and there are those that still will crucify a player)...

No! You are reading way to much in between the lines (no pun intended). I'm not happy with that either. I'm not writing him off and we can't know if to/when to if we don't play him. People freaked out when Bob Sh-it the bed during the 2nd half last season. This situation requires patience which seems in short supply. If Bryz can't cut it in the next 4 weeks then we make moves or ride Bob the rest of the way. But I'm a betting man and I bet people won't be happy come April if we throw Bryz over board and ride Bob...

Kind of a dark way of thinking, but does anyone think that this is JVR scared about the trade rumors circulating now and witnessing what happened in Philly less than one year ago? Possibly exaggerating his symptoms? He hasn't played well all year, so arguably he either hasn't felt like himself all season, or he just really sucks.

I don't remember seeing a hit to his head in either of the last two games much less both.

Speaking of, is Talbot in tonight? HE got smashed in the skull against the Islanders.

lol... No , just don't want the GM listening to a whole bunch of want-a-be GM's and make a trade we don't have to. And I doubt he would do that anyway so was tongue in cheek because it supports my point that we have time to make a deal yet. I wonder who the bad guy will be tomorrow? Bryz, Bob, Lavi, Homer (as always)? Maybe Briere or Carle? Guess we will get that pound of flesh tomorrow? It's ALWAYSomeone, unless it's an overwhelming win (and there are those that still will crucify a player)...

I'm not sure I understand.. is your objection to trading JVR, or to a trade period?

This sounds like it could be pretty serious, since Homer mentions two hits. If JVR was concussed after that first hit, we now know from others that suffering a second concussion immediately after can cause much more damage.

On the hit by Butler, Ottawa broadcasters accused JVR of diving

http://youtu.be/TzVmjN4CDeQ

So that's what? A 10-15 mph elbow to the jaw collision? Would you say each player is going 5-7 mph on skates there in opposite directions? Catching JVR unawares - because that elbow shouldn't be up that high.

"The fastest game on ice" is both a great marketing slogan and also an indication of what sort of impacts we see - either taking a guy coming at you at 10-15 mph or having open-ice hits that can be up to 25-30 mph. Many who have been in an unexpected car incident can attest to the effects of even low impact crashes.

Now pretend you don't have a ton of metal around you while securely strapped in to a safety-rated automobile..

Given that, and when you look at the history of player careers being cut short or significantly altered by concussion, the league's concern is justified. But it is hard for players, or teams, to "game the system."

I believe the process for concussions is pretty rigid. All players are given a preseason baseline. If during the season they complain of head injury/difficulty they are tested again and the compared to baseline. This test, along with other factors, is then used to determine if a player has suffered a concussion and when they are at least back to "baseline."

This could be a way to get JVR out of the lineup for a couple of games while the trade winds blow - or it might be that he's feeling the combined effects of a couple of hits ("concussion" or not). JVR's state of mind might not be entirely focused with the combination of both.

Regardless, a few games off can't really hurt at this point in the season.