News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
Jam1986

PJ for Jake

On 5/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, murraycraven said:

What has been underwhelming so far in terms of trades from Fletcher?   

ummm... absolutely everything?

On 5/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, murraycraven said:

Hextall was the person that gave Jake a bloated contract even though he was a RFA coming off a career year?  Simmer?  Well, nobody was paying anything worthwhile for Simmer and his production in Nash pretty much solidifies that argument.  Stollie?   The kid is a marginal NHL backup that has knees made of glass and you had a chance to bring in a vet that was close to Hart. 

He wasn't an RFA, he signed the deal at the beginning of the last year of his contract.  Hextall gave him market value.  His production has matched his salary.  It hasn't exceeded it.  He hasn't proven to be a "steal" the way Simmonds was or Couturier currently is.  I'm not going to litigate the Voracek signing again, but there was and still is nothing wrong with his contract.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to review some of the contracts that have been signed since and look at some of the production of some of those players and if that isn't enough, keep your eyes on what some of the RFAs are going to get this summer.

The issue with the Simmonds trade isn't about what he did or didn't get for Simmonds, the issue was that we were told the lack of such big moves was the reason the team wasn't doing well and the reason Hextall was fired.  So they brought in Fletcher to essentially not make any big moves.  I don't blame Fletcher for that.  I commend him.  It does make me very angry with Holmgren and Scott for being morons and either lying to us about why they really fired Hextall or lying to themselves.  I'm not sure which frustrates me more because if it's the former, then it wasn't a hockey decision and that's just stupid... and if it's the latter then dear god, they're just plan stupid and Fletcher's lack of action backs that up.     

I agree that Fletcher's trading abilities are up in the air.  What I do blame Fletcher for on deadline day is all the moves he choked on and the ripple effects that's going to cause him trying to improve the team this summer.  He also passed on calls for Elliott, Gudas and Raffl.  We'll never know what those returns might have been.  

I also am ticked at Stolie for Talbot because A) He made the move at a completely stupid time when the team had a bunch of road games in a short stretch and with Elliott still hurt, it essentially left Hart without a backup and forced him to play more games in a row than he should have and (STOP ME IF YOU'VE HEARD THIS BEFORE) HE GOT HURT.   Not only did he get hurt, but he started playing poorly.  And that's almost worse.

Beyond not realizing that visas were going to be a problem that would tie up Talbot, the other thing that has me annoyed is that Talbot is a UFA starting goalie. Paying him to backup Hart this year will cost the team more money than they should be spending on a backup.  Stolie would likely have been a UFA by season's end as well, but with a far less proven track record was likely to resign (for his hometown team mind you) for significantly less.   It's of course a risk because of injury history.  So if Fletcher is just willing to pay a premium on relative durability in a backup, then that's his call.  I happen to think having a coach with half a brain as to how and when to start whom goes a long way in that department.   Talbot being "close to Hart" means nothing to me and it shouldn't mean much to anyone IMHO.  I like the idea of another young guy, hungry as hell and itching for a job playing behind Hart and keeping him on his toes.  I also REALLY liked how similar Hart and Stolarz were in their styles.  Hart's better and Stolie is bigger (aka bigger 5-hole) but they both are positioning based, play tracking goalies who get into position so as to not force themselves to make a lot of difficult saves.  I think having that kind of continuity would have been VERY good for the defense.  

Those are the reasons I'd have greatly preferred to have Stolie.  I understand the thinking behind Talbot.  It would have been nice to see him play a few more times.  He was rusty, I understand, but he straight up did NOT look good in any of his games as a Flyer.

My main issues with Fletcher aren't that his deals are dumb or bad (not like Homer) but that they're kind of pointless and seem to be for show.  They further anger me in regards to Holmgren and Scott because Fletcher's reticence to change much about what Hextall had been building (aside from the BIG piece Hextall had some psychological block on--the coach) tells me that in Fletcher's estimation, the product on the ice wasn't the problem and couldn't be addressed mid-season.  Which again says Hextall was essentially right and that Homer and Scott either lied and fired him for stupid non-hockey related reasons or Homer and Scott are just stupid and don't know hockey... neither option is a quality I want in the people running my hockey team.   

Despite being mostly okay, Fletcher's lack of creativity however is a concern for me because an old school non-creative GM like this is going to miss out on some big opportunities for this team.  

• Uggh... 1

The offense has been stagnant and the defense porous.  I think Subban is a better player at hsi position then Voracek is. Since you have a comodity like Hart, you need to support him at all costs. Subban would solidify the D and help bringing up the younger guys who are knocking on the door

We have seen that the product on the ice now isnt good enough at either end to stop goalies from being hung out to dry

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Subban would solidify the D and help bringing up the younger guys who are knocking on the door

You've watched Subban play recently ?

He's not the guy from 3 years ago who was in the conversation for top 5 defensmen in the league.

He was terrible vs Dallas, Steve Eminger bad...remember him ? he sucked.

His play has fallen off a cliff, I think what you remember and the player he is today aren't the same. 

EDIT: I don't think Voracek is an addition by subtraction candidate. Further I think that notion is silly. Voracek isn't "a problem" let alone "the problem" 

Let's do additon by addition. Sign a guy, Throw all the money at Karlsson- all. of. it. That guy controls the game, that guy can mentor even if he isn't interested in being a mentor the team will be better because he's controlling the game 22-26 minutes a night.  Erik Karlsson with his mullet is the guy, Subban is guy. 

Edited by mojo1917

Posted (edited)

No, i dont watch hockey. I just like to pull opinions outta my arse

Seriously, though, Vorack isnt the same player he was five years ago either. And his playoff performance was worse than Subban. My point is that PK is better at his position than Jake is. And he would help make this team better by solidifying the defense , a bigger priority

Edited by CoachX

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

You've watched Subban play recently ?

He's not the guy from 3 years ago who was in the conversation for top 5 defensmen in the league.

He was terrible vs Dallas, Steve Eminger bad...remember him ? he sucked.

His play has fallen off a cliff, I think what you remember and the player he is today aren't the same. 

EDIT: I don't think Voracek is an addition by subtraction candidate. Further I think that notion is silly. Voracek isn't "a problem" let alone "the problem" 

Let's do additon by addition. Sign a guy, Throw all the money at Karlsson- all. of. it. That guy controls the game, that guy can mentor even if he isn't interested in being a mentor the team will be better because he's controlling the game 22-26 minutes a night.  Erik Karlsson with his mullet is the guy, Subban is guy. 

I agree if i have to decide to spend the money 9 mill on Subban or 10-11 mill on Karlsson???

I go with the money on EK. He is the guy who can help the most....i mean 22 year old Sanheim put up a more productive season than PK did last year.

So i have to slide the money to EK for he can show the kids the way and would be a nice right hand shot to slap next to Ivan.

And Jake could still be on the team wear as PK you would have to trade Jake for.

And well if i have to trade Jake for a D man i want to trade him for a better defenseman if i am doing it.

Ok. Im on board for trading him for a better defenseman. 

Who? And what else would it cost?

• Like 1

If the flyers want to sign EK and keep Jake, you wont hear me complain. My position all along is making sure the D in front of Hart is the best it can be

• Like 2