Merged: Confirmed - Flyers announced they hired Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as assistants

So according to a reporter from Montreal, it looks that one of the assistants to AV next season will Michel Therrien...

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1125186493448900608

Not to sure how I should feel about this; is this good or bad?

One thing is for sure, he is one coach that will help in changing the mentality of the team.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Uggh... 1

7 minutes ago, darthbal said:

CRAP!!!!!!!

Just remembered that Therrien coached the Pens.

Now I really don't like this hiring...

He got the Pens to the Stanley Cup Finals! 

Maybe the Flyers will move up to the 9th spot in the Eastern Conference?! LOL

Edited by notfondajane
  • Haha 1

So both AV and Therrien got there teams to the SC finals, but did not win it.

So they will teach this team how to win and make it in the playoffs, but lose the most important of the series.

Great!!!

5 minutes ago, darthbal said:

So they will teach this team how to win and make it in the playoffs, but lose the most important of the series.

Great!!!

Still better than our last 3 head coaches.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, darthbal said:

Great!!!

3 is a charm! I still would smile if they lose

Man, not really sure how I feel about this.  

First, I have never cared much for Therrien much at all.  Always thought he was arrogant and if anyone listens to Spittin’ Chiclets, it’s pretty clear the guy is an asshole and not well liked by at least some of his players.

On the other hand, maybe these guys need someone who isn’t going to pat them on the head and say “good try.”  Maybe they need a real ball buster.  

But, I do wonder if any UFAs think a little harder about coming here.   

I do do worry a little about how Patrick, Konency and other youth might develop.  I don’t think it’s great to ride young players early in their development.  

Really torn rim about this.  I also can’t stand Therrien’s face.  Not looking forward to seeing his sour mug every game.  

9 hours ago, vis said:

First, I have never cared much for Therrien much at all.  Always thought he was arrogant and if anyone listens to Spittin’ Chiclets, it’s pretty clear the guy is an asshole and not well liked by at least some of his players.

It's interesting, for sure. Therrien has a track record of success, and what I do like about this hiring is that it's a high-caliber, proven NHL head coach working as an assistant. So his voice will be somewhat tempered under AV yet the team still benefits from a lot of valuable experience.

Babcock is hated by many players. Apparently, he's quite an a$$ too. Heck, didn't he have to fly half way around the world just to make up with Auston Matthews at the end of last season? Mike Commodore shredded him on Twitter recently. And I read another piece about former players who said they couldn't stand playing under Babcock.  

9 hours ago, vis said:

On the other hand, maybe these guys need someone who isn’t going to pat them on the head and say “good try.”  Maybe they need a real ball buster.  

But, I do wonder if any UFAs think a little harder about coming here.   

I do do worry a little about how Patrick, Konency and other youth might develop.  I don’t think it’s great to ride young players early in their development.  

Honestly, Patrick's development couldn't really be any slower for a 2nd overall pick. Maybe he needs a different approach. I think moving him to 3C and bringing in a legitimately solid 1C/2C (say, Duchene) or a 2C/3C tweener (like Hayes or Nelson) sends the message to Patrick that he won't be gifted a spot anymore. He's gotta work for it, level up, and earn his spot. 

9 hours ago, vis said:

Really torn rim about this.  I also can’t stand Therrien’s face.  Not looking forward to seeing his sour mug every game.  

Yeah, the worst part is that he's the likely "interim" coach once AV gets fired. But, again, he's at least NHL-caliber.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vis said:

I'm with you. I do not like Therrien whatsoever. I'm ambivalent about Vigneault, but adding Therrien doesn't work me in the right direction personally. I think he's a class A turd.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Yeah, the worst part is that he's the likely "interim" coach once AV gets fired. But, again, he's at least NHL-caliber.

Is he NHL caliber? Sure, he did well running a high powered Pens team that also made Dan Bylsma look like a hall of famer for a while, but he was also dropped pretty unceremoniously from that position, probably for a good reason...

Aside from that, he's been mediocre to bad the rest of his coaching career. I'm not really sure what there is to like about him. He strikes me as the kind of coach teams just always seem to regurgitate for reasons I can never quite understand.

11 hours ago, vis said:

So much this.

Y'a une face à fesser. @brelic

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Is he NHL caliber? Sure, he did well running a high powered Pens team that also made Dan Bylsma look like a hall of famer for a while, but he was also dropped pretty unceremoniously from that position, probably for a good reason...

Aside from that, he's been mediocre to bad the rest of his coaching career. I'm not really sure what there is to like about him.

Yeah, he's definitely NHL caliber. I'm not a huge fan either, and my brother-in-law hates him from his two Montreal stints. 

That being said, I think as an assistant he could be useful. 

The bottom line is that what the Flyers have had in place over the past several years - going back to Laviolette - has been decidedly non-NHL caliber. Berube seems to be finding his way now in STL, but he wasn't at the time. 

• Like 2

That's a couple of guys that can really swear.

I guess they kept Lappy so he can translate ? "@#$^ - #@$%%- *$^&%$@@$$% dammit" into, "Nolan you're not keeping high enough when your wingers are below the dots". 

This will be interesting for sure, there is a lot of knowledge and success between Vigneault and Therrien though. 

Since Yeo and MT aren't the head coaches maybe it works ?

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I just remembered that Mike Yeo was an assistant with the Pens. I forget who was the coach! It could have been Theirrien or Disco Dan Blysma?!

Therrien was the HC in Pitts and Yeo was AC, they made it to the SC finals in 08, but lost to Detroit. The next season, Therrien got canned and Yeo remain as an AC to Bylsma and won the cup.

So all three have experience coaching in the SC finals, with one of them actually winning it. So hopefully they can change the mentality of the players and make them winners.

Not so sure about this .....

Like a giant knife sitting behind your back ready to plunge into the spine ........

Yeo.....

didn't like him in Minn,...or St louie...!!!!!

time will tell ...... canes in six..

I'd hate to have either Therien or Yeo as a head coach...but as assistants, I guess you could have worse. heck, we HAVE worse. 

And honestly, when I first heard Therien as an assistant, I was thinking CHRIS ! LMAO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2