Merged: Confirmed - Flyers announced they hired Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as assistants

I am taking a wait and see approach. They haven't given us the responsibility of of each coach yet, right? Because one thing that worries me: If I understand correctly, Yeo was the Pittsburgh power play coach under Therien. Together, they guided a power play with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang to 20th in the league.

30 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I am taking a wait and see approach. They haven't given us the responsibility of of each coach yet, right? Because one thing that worries me: If I understand correctly, Yeo was the Pittsburgh power play coach under Therien. Together, they guided a power play with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang to 20th in the league.

I think I'm following that mantra.

I can honestly say I cannot stand either Therien or Yeo.   Both make me want to vomit.    But I actually have a visceral reaction to Therien on my screen while I think Yeo is just a horrible head coach.

But that's the rub with Yeo and why I want to wait and see:   He's not  the head coach here.   So, I'll wait and see if he's simply one of those guys who is a better lieutenant than captain.   

Therien?  I want really horrible, violent things to happen to him the second he appears on the screen.  I think he's an arrogant imbecile who, as head coach, refused to make adjustments particularly in the playoffs and called repetitive results "lucky."  I simply don't like the guy.   But, again, he's not head coach. 

It's hard to argue against any of their regular season success.  And, really, that in itself would be a welcome change in Philly if they could repeat at least that here.   I know their failures in the finals (AV included) have been pointed out, and the thought went through my mind as well.  But for a team that hasn't won a playoff round in 7 years and has only been in two of them or something ridiculous, I'll worry about the finals later.  Let's have something to cheer about for 6-7 months and then maybe win a round or two.   I'm not going to stand in Kansas and worry about the temperature of the water down the shore.   Just let me SEE it at this point.

I am really hoping that AV succeeds by a lot.  I was wait and see with him, too, but now my biggest fear is that he gets fired, quits, or buys a Porsche and either Beavis or Butthead becomes HC.   

But as a staff?  I'm definitely wait and see and don't actually think it's horrible (though I'm checking my homeowners insurance to see if it covers a baseball bat to the television due to Therien being on the screen behind the Flyers' bench.  Hopefully he'll be the coach in the press box).  

• Like 1

The only thing I don't really like is their keeping Lappy.   I loved him as a player, so maybe they're just changing his role?  

The penalty kill did get better once Hakstol left (only to tank again at the end when either the team was exhausted or quit or both).  So maybe it was personnel.  Maybe it was some sort of directive from Hakstol, Hextall or Murphy or a combination of them.

So, I guess wait and see there, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I guess they kept Lappy so he can translate ? "@#$^ - #@$%%- *$^&%$@@$$% dammit" into, "Nolan you're not keeping high enough when your wingers are below the dots". 

I can fill in that blank for you if we're talking about Therrien or Vigneault. I'm not sure it'll get past censors though.

Edited by elmatus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

He did the same thing with the Wild power play. Got to the point where we were wishing the Wild could decline a power play like in the NFL because it was so ineffective. 

When the Wild hired Yeo, a bunch of Pittsburgh fans came onto the Wild boards and told us about how Yeo wrecked their power play. We figured it was sour grapes, but under Yeo the power play never rose above 15th in the league, usually hanging around 20th and one year 27th. 

Yeo had a habit of doing the same thing over and over on the power play, never changing it up. Even during a 0-20 something streak, he kept trotting the same players out there on the power play. 

I get the Therien hate, but at the same time, this is a guy who has had major success developing defensemen. That part of me is optimistic that he'll be able to get through to Provorov, Sanheim, Meyers and Gostisbehere. I think Gostisbehere is going to be the toughest of the bunch to crack, but I think Therien is the guy to get through to him. I really like what Fletcher and Vigneault have done with the staff. There's going to be order and structure, which is what the club has desperately lacked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

The only thing I don't really like is their keeping Lappy.   I loved him as a player, so maybe they're just changing his role?  

The penalty kill did get better once Hakstol left (only to tank again at the end when either the team was exhausted or quit or both).  So maybe it was personnel.  Maybe it was some sort of directive from Hakstol, Hextall or Murphy or a combination of them.

So, I guess wait and see there, too.

You know,  maybe the logic behind keeping Lapps is that he’s a really good for the players and keeping things lighter. I had read that he’s the guy players went to talk to because he is very approachable. 

When you consider the snot and balls we’ve hired in short order, maybe he’s the tissue the players need. 

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get the Therien hate, but at the same time, this is a guy who has had major success developing defensemen. That part of me is optimistic that he'll be able to get through to Provorov, Sanheim, Meyers and Gostisbehere. I think Gostisbehere is going to be the toughest of the bunch to crack, but I think Therien is the guy to get through to him. I really like what Fletcher and Vigneault have done with the staff. There's going to be order and structure, which is what the club has desperately lacked.

Yeah, I hate Therien probably more than anyone here.  Seriously.  But if he's tasked with focusing on the defense, it may be a decent thing.  I just don't want to have to look at him because, honestly, I really want to throw things.

Yeo scares me on the PP side. He has no history of having any clue with it.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

You know,  maybe the logic behind keeping Lapps is that he’s a really good for the players and keeping things lighter. I had read that he’s the guy players went to talk to because he is very approachable. 

When you consider the snot and balls we’ve hired in short order, maybe he’s the tissue the players need. 

Lappy:  When Summer's Eve just isn't strong enough.

• Haha 2

What I find telling is that Therrien and Yeo both accepted *assistant* coaching positions. 

AV must have done a helluva sell job, and convinced them that they’re in it to win and will do what it takes. Those guys likely could have waited it out for other head coaching vacancies in the offseason or early next year, but instead they chose to be assistants. 

I think that says a lot about what’s happening behind the scenes. 

The times they are a’ changin’. 

• Good Post 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

@brelic

I've seen that rationale about Lappy a couple times.   I have a feeling that's exactly what it's about.

I have zero respect for it.

Because it’s Lappy or in general?

Edited by brelic

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Those guys likely could have waited it out for other head coaching vacancies

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I know worthless failures have been rehired as head coaches before, but my god, as a head coach, Yeo (in particular) is worthless.

Just now, brelic said:

Because it’s Lappy or in general?

In general.  

And not actually about Lappy.  It's more of an "oh, boo hoo!" directed at the players.

Just now, ruxpin said:

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I know worthless failures have been rehired as head coaches before, but my god, as a head coach, Yeo (in particular) is worthless.

Is this payback for when I pushed you off your cloud?!?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Is this payback for when I pushed you off your cloud?!?

LOL  Yes!

No, really, I'm okay with the staff.   I just don't think their phone was going to ring soon for a head coaching job.   I mean, Blues+Yeo to Blues without Yeo is glaring and edifying.    He may head coach again (probably when the Flyers inevitably fire AV), but it will be a year or two until the memory of his complete ineptitude in St. Louis wears off and the "goalie excuse" (which is a valid excuse for Yeo, by the way) becomes the "sole reason."

Geez, this is what happens when Corporate doesn't have a clue how to solve a problem.  Can hardly wait until we get every 33+ vet on the team too.  :thumbsd:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

In general.  

And not actually about Lappy.  It's more of an "oh, boo hoo!" directed at the players.

I understand that, but honestly, having someone at work you can trust as a “safe” person to talk to - especially in the high pressure environment these guys are in - is a good thing. 

I’d bet it’s not just about the job. Just life as a professional athlete. A lot of these guys are really young, some can’t even drink. Dealing with normal 20-year-old guy stuff - booze,, drugs, women, breakups, fights, living on your own for the first time, finances - is hard enough. Imagine that as a 20 year old millionaire celebrity. 

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL  Yes!

No, really, I'm okay with the staff.   I just don't think their phone was going to ring soon for a head coaching job.   I mean, Blues+Yeo to Blues without Yeo is glaring and edifying.    He may head coach again (probably when the Flyers inevitably fire AV), but it will be a year or two until the memory of his complete ineptitude in St. Louis wears off and the "goalie excuse" (which is a valid excuse for Yeo, by the way) becomes the "sole reason."

Haha thanks for that! Totally deserved. 

I know what you mean. I hadn’t really heard this names tossed around for the other vacancies lately. I think I heard Yeo’s name mentioned... for Buffalo maybe? But, yeah, phone probably wasn’t ringing much. 

But I’m just excited that Fletch and AV aren’t messing around. They’re getting guys with quality NHL experience. Maybe the sum is larger than its parts. 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Haha thanks for that! Totally deserved. 

I know what you mean. I hadn’t really heard this names tossed around for the other vacancies lately. I think I heard Yeo’s name mentioned... for Buffalo maybe? But, yeah, phone probably wasn’t ringing much. 

But I’m just excited that Fletch and AV aren’t messing around. They’re getting guys with quality NHL experience. Maybe the sum is larger than its parts. 

Yeah, I'm with you on the last paragraph. I mean, that's clearly what they're going for. I'm actually hopeful. 

I wonder about the wisdom of bringing in just one lesser-experienced guy to groom would have been wise, but I'm not sure if that would have been a great idea or not. 

I'm fine as is. I think Yeo could probably use the time as an assistant again.  I'm hoping Therrien can make the adjustment. 

39 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Geez, this is what happens when Corporate doesn't have a clue how to solve a problem.  Can hardly wait until we get every 33+ vet on the team too.  :thumbsd:

That's kind of my other concern. Three guys with lots of experience used to captaining their own ship. 

I mean it could work out fine. 

But it's just as likely that one or both assistants conflict with AV.  OR, in an attempt to not conflict, one or both end up not asserting themselves on occasions when that is called for.  "This is really stupid, but he's the boss..."

Like I said, none of that has to me an issue and it could turn out really well.  Or it won't. 

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That's kind of my other concern. Three guys with lots of experience used to captaining their own ship. 

I mean it could work out fine. 

But it's just as likely that one or both assistants conflict with AV.  OR, in an attempt to not conflict, one or both end up not asserting themselves on occasions when that is called for.  "This is really stupid, but he's the boss..."

Like I said, none of that has to me an issue and it could turn out really well.  Or it won't. 

None of the coaching matters that much until they fix the defensive depth and get another scorer.

• Like 1

I think a key point in AV is that he mentioned in an interview that it's decision by committee, he believes in getting all the staffs input and hearing every one out. He will definitely see two experienced coaches' point of view as very valuable, he will probably relay their decision to the vets/captain/Ast' Capt' and let them bring home the point of what they need to do.

Chuckle Two Trades has been side loading quiet well, I say so far. Now on to the next phase: UFA's, trades, and the draft.