Merged: Confirmed - Flyers announced they hired Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as assistants

I am a little more optimistic with these hirings than pessimistic now. I wasn’t that way when it was just AV being hired. It’s been a few years since the Flyers have had this kind of coaching experience behind the bench. I’m not so concerned about who the coaches are at this point. I’m willing to give them a chance and see what they can do.  Individually they all have their faults, but collectively they may be a great coaching staff. Time will tell. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I am a little more optimistic with these hirings than pessimistic now. I wasn’t that way when it was just AV being hired. It’s been a few years since the Flyers have had this kind of coaching experience behind the bench.

Yeah, it's going to be hard to hang the "coach's fault" argument out there with the amount of experience they have back there now.

And with Hart, it's not going to be easy to make it the "goalie's fault" either.

This is a doubling down on "put up or shut up" on the veteran leadership core here and we'll see if they've got the goods to back it up.

The point that @FD19372 made about still needing a defensive stalwart and another scorer is a good one, though... Which, to me, is a reflection that one of their top point guys hasn't ever scored even 24 in the league.

I don't think they're going to try to solve that from the "inside". Looking at the "options" I don't think Pavelski is leaving San Jose and Buffalo would be crazy to let Skinner go so that leaves a long-term deal for Duchene as the likely alternative for this year's problem (if we go with the theory that Panarin is taking up the mantle of "the next Pavel Bure" in Florida).

Could make life interesting for Nolan Patrick - is he capable of picking up the defensive responsibility of 3rd line center to take a "Couturier" role until he develops more?

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

I like that the Flyers have started going more outside the organization. That hasnt worked since the 70's

Seems like every fan base hates a coach that doesnt win a SC. At this point it seems like the Flyers have developed a plan in regards to the coach they want, and are now letting him decide who he needs to be successful. I like that way of thinking. 

Something needed to be done differently. I was tired of watching the science experiment with unproven HC's

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2

The Flyers new coaching staff is the perfect example of the cyclical nature of this sport. The Flyers are going from first -timers, take-a-shot-at-it young management/coaches in Hextall and Hakstol to the tried-and-true, you-know-what-you-are-getting experienced Fletcher/Vigneault....and they have gone overboard in hiring Therrien and Yeo to go completely retro.. 
And while this is a scorched earth approach to coaching these Flyers players really did bring it on themselves. This is a team with enough talent to be a contender, but they started everything so slowly...They started games slowly...they started seasons slowly....Then when things got desperate they would show their talent and go on ridiculous runs like they did the second half of last year...The Flyers are a team crying out to have the whip taken to them. That is undeniable....and that is going to happen with these coaches.

It is a HUGE risk however....If it doesn't work because these coaches are unwilling to bend to the new NHL...(See Babcock in Toronto) then the Flyers will have to blow this whole thing up from the GM down again...and with a different core of players...

Sometimes it does work short term and that is why so many GMs take this easy way out. The players on the Flyers are going to be hit over the head with strong personalities and when Mike Yeo is the most stable/player friendly coach on your staff.....well...he is.

Eklund ...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, brelic said:

Yeah, the worst part is that he's the likely "interim" coach once AV gets fired.

I wouldn’t be too happy with that.  Kind of scares me a little.  

But, at least Fletcher is trying to address what appears to be too lax of an atmosphere in the locker room.  Also, it kind of signals that this team is in dire need of legit coaching.  The lack of experience has set them back.  

• Like 3

Bottom line, anything short of continued success over a sustained period will get blown up. Whether its inexperienced staff of coaches, or a whos who of the "elite". So I tend to agree that this team is too talented to play mediocre and needs a foot in thier asses. They have spent too much time drafting and building to sit around watching lackluster performances. 

It always seems like the coach is blamed and the players get a pass

• Like 3

On 5/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, elmatus said:

I think he's a class A turd.

Yeah, this.  Maybe as an assistant he won’t be such a ****.  Or, possibly that’s just what this team needs.  Let him be the bad cop to AV’s good cop.  

I don't see anyone responsible for cake baking...

You have to know Mike Yeo can't bake for **** and Michel will use too much heavy cream and egg.

I don't see how this will work now

48 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't see anyone responsible for cake baking...
I don't see how this will work now

It's Lappy. That's kinda covered under "pie". It's not meant to be taken literally, it's meant to apply equally to all manner of baked goods.

👺

Honestly, Laperriere should never have been on the ice to take the second shot.

Almost undoubtedly wouldn't be allowed to in today's concussion regime.

I'm fine with him "always having a job" in the organization. I don't get why it has to be Assistant Coach.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2019 at 8:24 PM, darthbal said:

So according to a reporter from Montreal, it looks that one of the assistants to AV next season will Michel Therrien...

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1125186493448900608

Not to sure how I should feel about this; is this good or bad?

One thing is for sure, he is one coach that will help in changing the mentality of the team.

Would kind of rather have Terry Murray and John Stevens as the assistants than these two former coaches... which isn't saying much for Therrien and Yeo I guess... but also I kinda like Murray and Stevens in that role.  

I sincerely worry about egos and there being too many cooks in this kitchen.  

We could need a new goaltending coach very soon depending on what happens in Seattle and around the league.  Maybe without Hextall not around, they can coax Reese back to town?  If I'm Fletcher I'm making those calls ASAP now that the Stars are done.  

Fletcher says he likes Dillabaugh, and he's certainly worlds better than Lemelin was all those many many many futile years, but Jeff Reese is a real find and I'd prefer someone like him in charge of Hart.

Dilly's here because of his track record with guys like Quick and Jones and I guess Bernier?  So he's no slouch.  But he also wasn't technically the hands on coach of those guys.  

On 5/9/2019 at 6:51 PM, AJgoal said:

TO BE FAIR,

The PK got immediately better as soon as Hak and Gordo left.  

But yes... the fact that they're replacing him, but keeping him around... 

I posited last year sometime that maybe the players really like having him around.  Maybe they relate to him and at a time when Hakstol clearly had lost the room (if he'd ever had it), having a guy like that in the locker room and in practice could be a huge help.

Keeping him around after you dump Hakstol makes sense for continuity and essentially for the same reasons under an interim coach that the vets (some of whom played with Lappy... okay I guess just G) don't know so well.

Long story short, he might be little more than a Big Brother and a cheer leader and maybe just a guy they trust to complain to or talk them down when they're ticked at the out of shape old farts in charge... and that can be very valuable. 

We certainly know that Lappy sets a good example for giving everything you have and sacrificing to win.  

He's going to be in the luxury box now so it's definitely a reduced roll. 

I'm going to give it all a wait and see before passing judgement. My main thing is the draft and free agency.

Who they add and subtract could be a huge boost to next year.

I hope everyone will come to camp in great shape and ready to hit the ground running and ready to absorb the new system and understand their individual responsibilities within the system so they can work together as a cohesive unit with one goal in mind to win games and make the playoffs.

The Blues can serve as a good reminder get in and anything is possible.

Last year when they came to Philly they were tied in points with 36.

Flyers 30th with a 15-20-6 record and the Blues with a 16-19- 4 record.

One made the dance and the other didn't.

Now the biggest reason one made it and the other didn't was age. The Flyers were just way to young and the Blues were chocked full of vets. Especially on the blueline. Flyers didn't have that luxury.

They both had goalies making their first starts in the NHL.

Yet the Flyer's was just 20 and Binnington was 25 so still a huge difference in experience.

But i expect even more from Hart next year. And hopefully if Talbot is the guy some good backup relief will help too.

But the whole group should be a little more seasoned now and they do have a lot of skill and with a few more acquisitions that are well place i think they can make a spirited run next year.

Now the biggest question will they build upon it all and be better?

On 5/7/2019 at 7:54 AM, radoran said:

Yeah, it's going to be hard to hang the "coach's fault" argument out there with the amount of experience they have back there now.

And with Hart, it's not going to be easy to make it the "goalie's fault" either.

This is a doubling down on "put up or shut up" on the veteran leadership core here and we'll see if they've got the goods to back it up.

A Genuine question I have is what do people consider the veteran leadership that has to prove something?

No matter how you slice it, a huge part of that core is gone in Simmonds.

But is it Giroux, Voracek and... Couturier?  

Provorov and Ghost?  

I have no challenge or counterpoint.  I'm genuinely curious as to who people mean when they say that the core or the vets need to put up.  

The point that @FD19372 made about still needing a defensive stalwart and another scorer is a good one, though... Which, to me, is a reflection that one of their top point guys hasn't ever scored even 24 in the league.

Not sure I understand why that matters. They need play makers as well as finishers.  Short on finishing maybe, but that doesn't negate the need for someone to set things up.

I don't think they're going to try to solve that from the "inside". Looking at the "options" I don't think Pavelski is leaving San Jose and Buffalo would be crazy to let Skinner go so that leaves a long-term deal for Duchene as the likely alternative for this year's problem (if we go with the theory that Panarin is taking up the mantle of "the next Pavel Bure" in Florida).

It's a tough call with Frost and Farabee knocking on the door, but they need to bring in someone.

Pavelski is a good option.  Maybe he wins a cup in San Jose and takes a better deal to finish it out elsewhere.  Doubtful, but hey, our real estate's cheaper.   The thing about Buffalo and Skinner is that they'd be crazy to let him go, but it's not up to them.  It's up to him.  

Duchene is an option and he'll likely faire better as a 2C, but he's going to get paid like a 1C and he's going to get term which isn't really what this team needs right now with the kids in the wings.  Though I suppose you cold always trade him if Frosty looks good sooner rather than later.

ICould make life interesting for Nolan Patrick - is he capable of picking up the defensive responsibility of 3rd line center to take a "Couturier" role until he develops more?

I don't want Patrick doing that.  Not at all.

Not only do I think it's a terrible waste of his skill set (remember Couturier was really good at that role RIGHT AWAY at 18), but I think he's got a lot more offensive upside than Coots ever did (and I will go do my grave reminding everyone that I was the annoying punk who wouldn't shut up about how Coots was going to break it open one of these seasons and score 25 goals and 65-70 points... Even I didn't suspect that he had 30+ in him).   Patty's a slick wizard with that puck when he has room to breath.  he plays best when he's aggressive and confident.  I fear that playing under Hakstol limited his offensive bravura for two years.  

With a guy like Coots, you can emphasize his defensive responsibility first, then let him ease into his offensive skills (which he always had, going back to juniors) but with Patty, they really should have been emphasizing his offense primarily and worked on his defense as he matured.  Two years into his career his head is a little muddled.  I sincerely hope Vigneault and Therrien help him sort it out.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

A Genuine question I have is what do people consider the veteran leadership that has to prove something?

No matter how you slice it, a huge part of that core is gone in Simmonds.

But is it Giroux, Voracek and... Couturier?  

Yes, it means no "slow start" to start the season. And, yes, the vets who have been around here for the past seven years of relative futility. You do realize Couturier wears the "A" and will be in his ninth NHL season next year, yes? That counts as a "veteran" from where I sit.

I might also count the 30-year-old entering his 11th NHL season as well...

And by "slow start" I don't mean "but Giroux was a point-per-game player in October" I mean "not going 5-7 in October and 5-5-2 in November". We shan't talk of the 5-6-3 December.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not sure I understand why that matters. They need play makers as well as finishers.  Short on finishing maybe, but that doesn't negate the need for someone to set things up.

And they need guys who can score the puck. I'm not the only one saying that "another scorer" is needed on this team.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's a tough call with Frost and Farabee knocking on the door, but they need to bring in someone.

See? There's you saying it! 😎

Can we let guys get to to door before they're "knocking" on it? This squad has a #2 overall pick that has yet to break 32 points. Can we let the 20-year-olds at least have a training camp before we're slotting them in as can't miss scorers in the NHL?

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I will go do my grave reminding everyone that I was the annoying punk who wouldn't shut up about how Coots was going to break it open one of these seasons

I was as well.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Duchene is an option and he'll likely faire better as a 2C, but he's going to get paid like a 1C and he's going to get term which isn't really what this team needs right now with the kids in the wings.

Which is why I said "the likely alternative for this year's problem." This organization - and I'm back to using the term loosely - wants to compete next year and not wait for "the kids in the wings." Waiting for "the kids in the wings" was one thing (along with a slavish, unfounded devotion to a coach) that got Hextall fired.

That means throwing a long-term deal at a guy to fix the problem for next year. Not what you would do. Not what I would do.

What they will do. Bet on it.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Patty's a slick wizard with that puck when he has room to breath.  he plays best when he's aggressive and confident.  I fear that playing under Hakstol limited his offensive bravura for two years.   

He was slotted in as the #2C from the moment he was drafted and played in that role for two years. He has so far failed to produce and virtually every analysis says that the Flyers need to bring in a 2C to fill the role he hasn't taken yet.

Good NHL teams are pretty good at not giving guys "who need room to breathe" room to breathe. Guys often need to make their room.

This isn't a situation where he was put into a defensive role like Couturier. He was put in a position to succeed. He just hasn't.

Which is in no way to say he "can't".

But the "win now" mentality demanded by Our Corporate Overlords may not give him that chance again at 2C next year.

• Like 2

Experience doesn't mean success!!!! Yeah 20yrs (combined)is alot of experience, but  if you read some of the posts that were up while the coaching search was on there was alot of no-yeo talk about him being the head coach ,so I'm curious why it seems to be okay now that he's an ASSinstant???? Therien his past is alot better and pretty much speaks for itself, so I'm not disappointed in that choice as much as the Yeo move.. but curious as to why he seems to be acceptable now????

If you are a guy with a head coach resume, why take an assistant spot?

One thought is you arent good enought to get another gig

But, it could also be that you are willing to put your ego aside and take a lesser role because you see the big picture. Im inclined to think these two guys are excited by what the flyers have and are willing to get on board with AV.

Kinda like a superstar taking less money for a chance to win a championship

• Like 1