Merged: Confirmed - Flyers announced they hired Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as assistants

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

If you are a guy with a head coach resume, why take an assistant spot?

Because someone will pay you hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Just spitballing here.

One thought is you arent good enought to get another gig

Or there aren't many head coaching opening and you can't get a job coaching Soccer, am I right?

#sabres

Kinda like a superstar taking less money for a chance to win a championship

Who was the last guy to do that?

The Flyers have assembled a deep, experienced coaching staff.

Gotta get results on the ice.

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

If you are a guy with a head coach resume, why take an assistant spot?

Could also be to remain relevant and keep the resume current in case a head coaching job pops up elsewhere.  Neither Therrien nor Yeo was likely to land a HC job this season.  Sometimes it's hard for a guy who remains out of the league to get another HC job in the NHL.  Being an assistant better enables a coach to remain up to date on league trends, teams, players, etc. so that he can talk authoritatively on those topics when he interviews for a HC job.  The foregoing may be less applicable to Yeo given that he was fired this past year, but I think it's applicable in Therrien's case who hasn't been in the NHL since 2017.  In Yeo's case, I think his tenure in STL and MIN indicate he's not quite ready to be a HC and has some learning to do.  This is a good gig for him in that regard.

Another possibility is that Therrien doesn't have a desire to be a HC any longer.  Maybe he doesn't want to deal with the players, scrutiny, pressure and other responsibilities at the HC level.

Whatever the case, curious how things go with Therrien.  Don't think he's a well-liked guy and I have never been very impressed with his teams.  I like that he may make some players uncomfortable or challenge them, but I don't like that he can be a pretty mean dude.  I don't think that tactic works well with players these days.

Edited by vis
  • Like 1

Well one thing is huge everyone needs to check their egos at the door and work together to get this team on track.

Together i think they can do this. AV has trust in these guys that they know what he wants and is delegating his duties.

I like this move and it is a move that i think doomed Hak. He didn't have the strong field generals under him he needed.

Combine that with his inexperience and it was apparent with what we saw on the ice.

Inability to adjust during games when their game plan didn't go as they thought.

Then knowing when to stick with the game plan and not panic or when to change it to stop the bleeding.

Then throw in the inconsistent goalie play the last two years and he and the team were doomed.

I mean we have seen inconsistent goaltending doom the best of coaches just look at what happened in Chicago with Crawford not playing up to standards the last couple years and Quick in LA.

Very very hard to win without it in today's hockey with all these deep fast teams who can make you pay with mistakes and their quick transitions games.

Then combine that with the Flyers young blueline and well we see what happened.

The team i think did get Rick Wilson to help but it was too little to late and this team mentally were fighting themselves. 

Now the team has the experience i think to be able to coach up the kids during the games and be able to adjust during it too.

Hak and Berube's only adjustments it ever seemed was to juggle their lines that was about it.

I feel good about the upcoming season but i still won't buy Gamecenter again until about the mid way point of next season.

I mean, so many of us here have been shouting for fundamental changes to the coaching staff. We've got that now in spades.

Are they good changes? That's a lot harder to say. But at least it's not another year of Hakstol and co.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Whatever the case, curious how things go with Therrien.  Don't think he's a well-liked guy and I have never been very impressed with his teams.  I like that he may make some players uncomfortable or challenge them, but I don't like that he can be a pretty mean dude.  I don't think that tactic works well with players these days.

I'm with you here. I always figured the only reason the Habs kept Therrien around so long was because he happens to be french-canadian. His teams never seemed particularly good, and I've heard pretty awful things about his relationship with the players there. 

Anyway, again, we got plenty of coaching changes now. Not much to be done about it except see what happens.

• Like 1

Just going from my experience as coach (not hockey) , i know how valuable good assistants are. And if you are the head guy, having those coaches buy into your sytem and direction is huge. I think players need to understand that the coach calls the shots, not them. This team in particular has been coddled way too much

I think AV knows whay he's doing

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Just going from my experience as coach (not hockey) , i know how valuable good assistants are. And if you are the head guy, having those coaches buy into your sytem and direction is huge. I think players need to understand that the coach calls the shots, not them. This team in particular has been coddled way too much

I think AV knows whay he's doing

Yes finally if this doesn't work we can blame the players...finally...can't blame the coaches, can't blame goaltending...it is time to put it on the core players to get this done.

if they don't get it done now it's time to blow the core up...no more excuses. Just win baby!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm with you here. I always figured the only reason the Habs kept Therrien around so long was because he happens to be french-canadian. His teams never seemed particularly good, and I've heard pretty awful things about his relationship with the players there. 

Well, it's interesting that he was fired as soon as Claude Julien, another french-canadian guy, became available.  So you may be on to something there....

In his book, Briere said he had a few run-ins with Therrien and related a story about how Therrien singled out Briere in a video session and basically said no one on the team respected him or wanted to play with him.  Pretty harsh to treat a veteran player that way.  I'm all for a coach that holds players accountable, but I'm not a fan of degrading or insulting players.  I wonder how Therrien's personality will play with the youth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vis said:

Well, it's interesting that he was fired as soon as Claude Julien, another french-canadian guy, became available.  So you may be on to something there....

In his book, Briere said he had a few run-ins with Therrien and related a story about how Therrien singled out Briere in a video session and basically said no one on the team respected him or wanted to play with him.  Pretty harsh to treat a veteran player that way.  I'm all for a coach that holds players accountable, but I'm not a fan of degrading or insulting players.  I wonder how Therrien's personality will play with the youth.

Yeah, I've heard many similar stories about him essentially treating players as garbage to get a point across. As much as some folks might brand that as some sort of "tough love", shame is a very bad communications tool and generally does not have the intended effect. I don't imagine that's somehow magically different in a locker room.

Anyway, he's here apparently, so I guess we just all have to hope he doesn't screw up our youngins or something while he's around.

Edited by elmatus

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, I've heard many similar stories about him essentially treating players as garbage to get a point across. As much as some folks might brand that as some sort of "tough love", shame is a very bad communications tool and generally does not have the intended effect. I don't imagine that's somehow magically different in a locker room.

Anyway, he's here apparently, so I guess we just all have to hope he doesn't screw up our youngins or something while he's around.

I mean, it’s not like he called a player into his office, carefully took out a cigarette, smoked the entire thing without saying a word, then said, “ok, we’re done here” and sent the player out.

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, elmatus said:

As much as some folks might brand that as some sort of "tough love", shame is a very bad communications tool and generally does not have the intended effect. I don't imagine that's somehow magically different in a locker room.

I've certainly had experience with "tough love" folks, but they do it without being personally insulting.  And when you do a good job, they let you know that as well.  Therrien just sounds like he can be very insulting.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, elmatus said:

Lofty expectations, I fear.

20 hours ago, brelic said:

I mean, it’s not like he called a player into his office, carefully took out a cigarette, smoked the entire thing without saying a word, then said, “ok, we’re done here” and sent the player out.

That a Terry Ryan story?  That dude is a loon...

3 hours ago, vis said:

That a Terry Ryan story?  That dude is a loon...

Actually I read that somewhere and it was about Therrien. Have no idea if there’s any truth behind it. It would be perfectly in character though!

I wish all the best to Mike Yeo.  He's a good hockey mind and a real player's coach (the latter of which was a large part of his undoing in St. Louis).  Plus, he's an original 1994 IHL Houston Aero and captained the 1999 team to the Turner Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 10:18 PM, radoran said:

Because someone will pay you hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Just spitballing here.

Or there aren't many head coaching opening and you can't get a job coaching Soccer, am I right?

#sabres

Who was the last guy to do that?

The Flyers have assembled a deep, experienced coaching staff.

Gotta get results on the ice.

Flyers getting results on the ice?! Interesting concept!

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

How many regimes have the Flyers had in the last twenty to thirty years?

Since 1990:

Vigneault will be the 15th coach (including interims)

Fletcher is the fifth GM.

Paul Holmgren appears on both lists.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Since 1990:

Vigneault will be the 15th coach (including interims)

Fletcher is the fifth GM.

Paul Holmgren appears on both lists.

Accurate points but, so what? Nothing we (fans) can do about it except complain.

Either things will be the same and the Flyers live up to Einstein's thoery of insanity. Or, they went the opposite way by hiring Fletch and letting him hire his coaches.

Funny thing about Flyer fans, nothing is a success unless it ends with a cup

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Funny thing about Flyer fans, nothing is a success unless it ends with a cup

Maybe that's because that's the benchmark that the organization sets for itself? Like, these guys?

"The players know, the coaches know, we all know it's about winning and we haven't been winning enough games," Holmgren said.

"I'm extremely excited about this new opportunity to manage the Philadelphia Flyers," Hextall said. "I look forward to working closely with Paul in our new hockey structure and working towards our ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup."

“Chuck has earned success throughout his impressive NHL career and offers the right mix of expertise, business acumen and leadership qualities that the Flyers need today as we work to achieve our ultimate goal, the Stanley Cup Championship,” Comcast Spectacor Chairman and CEO Dave Scott said in a statement.

Also, not true. "Success" looks different to some people. There are many fans who go on and on about how great the team is going to be next year - and have every year for the past seven years while contenting themselves with three rounds of playoff hockey over that span.

The Flyers have never before managed only three rounds of playoffs in seven years. Never.

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Accurate points but, so what?

The question asked was how many regimes there had been.  That was the answer.

Q.E.D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Also, not true. "Success" looks different to some people. There are many fans who go on and on about how great the team is going to be next year - and have every year for the past seven years while contenting themselves with three rounds of playoff hockey over that span.

I count myself among those fans. 

Lifelong Flyer fan that wasn’t alive to witness the cup victories. 

Ain’t nothing I can do about how the team is constructed so I content myself with finding the good in whatever team they ice in a given year and chatting with you folks about how smart we all are, and if they’d only LISTEN to us, we’d win a Cup. 

Admittedly, there have been a few seasons when I mostly tuned out because there was nothing redeeming about them. 

Cup, no Cup... I can’t control it. Of course it would be amazing to see them win it all. 

Someday they will. Right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Maybe that's because that's the benchmark that the organization sets for itself? Like, these guys?

The Flyers have never before managed only three rounds of playoffs in seven years. Never.

The question asked was how many regimes there had been.  That was the answer.

Q.E.D.

I never asked that question