couturier is the anti-carter

Guest aziz

Yeah, maybe. It's hard to tell what's going on inside their heads. But the difference between our two points of view is that you think it's a conscious decision (i.e. thanks for the contract, suckers) whereas I think it has more to do with the passion and fortitude that they have for the game and for being the best they can be. I'm sure if you would tell Carter or JVR that they don't seem to care about playing hockey, you would probably get some blank stares. They don't know any other way... they are doing exactly what they think they ought to be doing. But they just don't have the same mental and physical push that some others have that brings them to the next level.

This I agree with. I'm not saying JVR shows up and thinks he's going to dog it. He just goes out there and dogs it. It's not planned, it's just how he plays. Maybe he needs to drink some coffee before the game, or do what you do with kids...feed them M&Ms.

doesn't have *quite* the same release, but holy crap i can't believe how just precise his aim is. that's, what, 4 games in a row he has lasered the puck into holes far side top corner? i don't know i've seen a single high-and-wide.

kid's got amazing stuff.

It's worth noting that at this point in the season, Coutourier has just one fewer point than Carter (16 to 17 pts).

It's also worth noting that there is a 21 point differential between their plus/minus (Carter is -9, Couturier is +12).

@brelic

It's amazing how some guys play the game at full speed yet some can be just as effective slowing it down and thinking it out. He's definately got that hockey sense going on.

And that is what truly makes a player special (the ones capable of slowing things down). You see that with Giroux with his speed and and stop and start ability. I see glimpses of that with Couts with his hockey sense which is really off the charts. What he might lack in flat out speed he makes up for in "knowing" where the play is going, anticipating and being there on time.

We are seeing why he was the top ranked junior player going into his draft year. Fortunately for us he suffered mono and it impacted his game enough to drop to the 8th spot.

The part I don't get (about him dropping) is he STILL had the most ppg of any junior. To me, for a guy who is as defensively sound as Couturier is, it hard to imagine seven teams passed by on him when he was elite at everything but skating.. I can see Edmonton for RNH. I can see someone wanting Landeskogs grit and NHL readiness. Or Huberdeaus "Wow" factor. But the Devils, Isles, Sens and Jets must all be shaking their heads. They all got good players, no doubt. But Couturier has been thought of a a special player for a few years now.

I really wanted Philly to get Hamilton. I was disappointed we didn't. But when I saw who had fallen to us, I couldn't believe it.

It's worth noting that at this point in the season, Coutourier has just one fewer point than Carter (16 to 17 pts).

It's also worth noting that there is a 21 point differential between their plus/minus (Carter is -9, Couturier is +12).

In fairness, Carter has played like 12 games.

In fairness, Carter has played like 12 games.

In fairness, you're incorrect. Carter has played in 30 games, Couturier has played in 40.

A notable difference in number of games played, but Carter also averages about 8 minutes more of ice time PER GAME. Cater has played about 600 minutes this year (30 games * 20 TOI), Couturier has played est 480 (40 * 12 TOI).

It ain't the number of games that explains the difference, I'm afraid.

Not to mention, Carter also plays on a top line and seldom on the PK. Couturier plays on a fourth line and a lot of his time is on the PK.

In fairness, you're incorrect. Carter has played in 30 games, Couturier has played in 40.

A notable difference in number of games played, but Carter also averages about 8 minutes more of ice time PER GAME. Cater has played about 600 minutes this year (30 games * 20 TOI), Couturier has played est 480 (40 * 12 TOI).

It ain't the number of games that explains the difference, I'm afraid.

Not to mention, Carter also plays on a top line and seldom on the PK. Couturier plays on a fourth line and a lot of his time is on the PK.

Clearly I was using hyperbole. But Carter has played a lot of those games still injured. He is a better offensive player than couturier is right now.

Here's some interesting stats from behindthenet.ca that was posted on another board.

Sean Couturier's current P/60 for 5 on 5 play: 2.64 (highest among rookies, 25th in the entire NHL)

Other leading rookies:

RNH:2.02

Matt Read: 2.44

Adam Henrique: 2.14

Cody Hodgson: 1.91

Gabriel Landeskog: 1.37

Craig Smith: 1.57

Ryan Johansen: 1.56

Centers who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates than Couturier currently has going:

Crosby: 3.98

Henrik Sedin: 2.78

Danny Briere: 2.77

David Krejci: 2.76

Pavel Datsyuk: 2.72

Steven Stamkos: 2.71

Claude Giroux: 2.69

Anze Kopitar: 2.68

Rookies who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates:

NONE

Last rookie to post a better P/60 than Couturier for a full season:

NONE (dating back to the 07-08 season)

Clearly I was using hyperbole. But Carter has played a lot of those games still injured. He is a better offensive player than couturier is right now.

Well, I'm certainly not going to get into an overall debate as to whether Couturier is a better offensive player than Carter, that's for sure. Couturier has played less than half a season at the pro level, while Carter... well, 46 goals in a year speaks for itself.

The original post to this thread was that Couturier was the anti-Carter, meaning that Couturier's shots are picking the targets as compared to Jeff "High and Wide" Carter. It's anectdotal, but I would have to agree with that opinion.

At 19, Couturier's looking like he has a pretty good future in the NHL. If we were to look at the trade, as far as this year is concerned, Homer came out on top.

He is a better offensive player than couturier is right now.

I always tried not to be a Carter basher but I don't know that I'd completely agree with that statement. Carter is probably a better goal scorer now, but Couturier is a better playmaker and has a much higher hockey IQ. He uses his team mates better than I've ever seen Carter do. Couturier is doing what he's doing playing on the 4th line playing with the likes of Jody Shelley. Comparing them right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'll take Couturier over Carter any day.

I was like "pleeeeeeezzzzzeeee Homer, draft Hamilton!" Now I'm like, "Dougie Who?" I had no idea Cooter was this good.

I didn't see the draft. When I found out we didn't take Hamilton I was so pissed off. I figured Couturier would have went top 3 or 4. Great break for Philly.