Western Conference Finals: San Jose Sharks (P2) vs. St. Louis Blues (C3)

pilldoc

Western Conference Finals: San Jose Sharks (P2) vs. St. Louis Blues (C3)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Sharks sweep
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7
    • Blues sweep
    • Blues in 5
    • Blues in 6
    • Blues in 7

11 hours ago, davethehammer said:

Lol yeah, like I said.

Hand pass 

In all seriousness....

There is a poster here by the name of Occam's Razor - I'm sure you have encountered him, he posts a lot.

Anyway, I invite you to Google the meaning of his username . Sometime the simple, and most likely, explanation is the correct one. In this case it's the simple fact that NHL officiating sucks asss. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Blues will win this. They got robbed last night but will bounce back. They have the best road team in hockey. And the best team in hockey

We'll see the Sharks are a deep and resilient team to have to overcome.

You would hate for that bad call to give them the game to come back and haunt them.

They did get screwed. Should be able to review that to get the call right.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Blues will win this. They got robbed last night but will bounce back. They have the best road team in hockey. And the best team in hockey

Let's not pretend the refs didn't miss some calls on the Blues too like the trip right before on the exact same play.

Or this right in front of the ref...

https://streamable.com/s/188cb/lszmwh

Consider this a warning shot across the bow.

Posts have been hidden because of getting off topic regarding the Sharks / Blues playoff series.  This thread is to discuss the actual games/series NOT some hidden NHL or conspiracy theories.

Please keep this post on topic.  That is all.

Carry on.

• Thanks 1

If the subject matter of a post relates to the subject matter of the thread, it's relevant in my book.  The missed call was a HUGE part of game three so how can it not be discussed?  I do agree that we should not let it degenerate into a discussion of the poor officiating and/or bad rules that are currently present in the NHL and perhaps that's what the mod was referring to.  I haven't been here long enough to get the lay of the land so pardon me for chiming in if I am off base.

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It IS ON TOPIC.  How can you call an obvious blown call by the refs a conspiracy theory?  I do not care who you are cheering for. Its a fact.  Colin Campbell himself said the play should have been stopped.  And why would this be off topic?  Come on Pilldoc. 

No ...there have been several posts not regarding to hockey at all.  Those have been hidden.  Quite frankly I can careless if the play should have been stopped or not.  I don't have a horse this race and I could care less who wins or not.  Honestly there have been some complaints that this thread is getting off topic.  You want to bitch and moan about the call, go for it.  However you cannot call every blown call in any sport a conspiracy every time it happens.  Discuss the game and the series and keep this topic on topic, conspiracy theories is not not talking hockey.  End of discussion.

3 minutes ago, BlueAero said:

If the subject matter of a post relates to the subject matter of the thread, it's relevant in my book.  The missed call was a HUGE part of game three so how can it not be discussed?  I do agree that we should not let it degenerate into a discussion of the poor officiating and/or bad rules that are currently present in the NHL and perhaps that's what the mod was referring to.  I haven't been here long enough to get the lay of the land so pardon me for chiming in if I am off base.

There are some posts hidden in this topic that were not on topic.    Sorry for any confusion.

Welcome btw.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No ...there have been several posts not regarding to hockey at all.  Those have been hidden.  Quite frankly I can careless if the play should have been stopped or not.  I don't have a horse this race and I could care less who wins or not.  Honestly there have been some complaints that this thread is getting off topic.  You want to bitch and moan about the call, go for it.  However you cannot call every blown call in any sport a conspiracy every time it happens.  Discuss the game and the series and keep this topic on topic, conspiracy theories is not not talking hockey.  End of discussion.

I do not get which one you are referring to?  Or understand what you mean by hidden?  Do you mean the mods including you deliberately hid them?  i  dont give a hoot about any theories but one theory is right on. The refs are blowing too many calls and video needs to be used for everything. Not just what they pick and chose. Otherwise the result is tainted.  Who wants to see a team win the Cup with an asterick. San Jose already has two apologies to opposing teams for two of their games including the Vegas crap.  Its real. Its not a conspiracy.  Its a bunch of idiots wearing striped zebra suits

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:15 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Let's not pretend the refs didn't miss some calls on the Blues too like the trip right before on the exact same play.

Or this right in front of the ref...

https://streamable.com/s/188cb/lszmwh

The blues actually handed out 4 uncalled headshots that game to unfortunate sharks players

That being said, I was sure that goal was getting waved off and it didn;t.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not get which one you are referring to?  Or understand what you mean by hidden?  Do you mean the mods including you deliberately hid them?

yes ....we have the power to hide posts if they are deemed inappropriate or stray too far from the topic at hand ....  those are the posts I am referring to.

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The refs are blowing too many calls and video needs to be used for everything. Not just what they pick and chose. Otherwise the result is tainted.  Who wants to see a team win the Cup with an asterick. San Jose already has two apologies to opposing teams for two of their games including the Vegas crap.  Its real. Its not a conspiracy.  Its a bunch of idiots wearing striped zebra suits

I have hardly seen any games as family life is just too busy for me at the moment. I catch highlights here and there ....  So I cannot comment on all the blown calls.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

yes ....we have the power to hide posts if they are deemed inappropriate or stray too far from the topic at hand ....  those are the posts I am referring to.

I have hardly seen any games as family life is just too busy for me at the moment. I catch highlights here and there ....  So I cannot comment on all the blown calls.

Vegas really got screwed.  Up 3-0 in the 3rd period the refs gave them a 5 minute major that later the film showed the player was innocent and blood was drawn from a puck or something. The outcome was terrible for Vegas  3 PP goals for SJ and it saved their necks and send Vegas packing

16 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Vegas really got screwed.  Up 3-0 in the 3rd period the refs gave them a 5 minute major that later the film showed the player was innocent and blood was drawn from a puck or something. The outcome was terrible for Vegas  3 PP goals for SJ and it saved their necks and send Vegas packing

Actually, it was four PP goals.  Vegas managed to come back to tie the game up only to lose in OT....the Sharks' first ridiculously lucky break of the playoffs.  Incredibly, they have gotten two more (the Landeskog offside in game seven and the Meier hand pass goal in game three against the Blues).

And their smug little coach DeBoer got pissed when a reporter asked him if they had perhaps benefitted from some luck in the playoffs?  Said it "irked" him that someone would dare insinuate such a thing!  Wrong answer, coach.  You should have said that, yeah, good teams make their own luck or some other such cliche, not your condescending and contrived angry reply.  I guess the reporter struck a nerve, huh?  Or maybe the dude's running with just a bit too much estrogen.  Either way, you can tell just by watching the guy's mannerisms that he's a jerk.  Get over yourself, Pete. 

Look, I don't know if the Blues will beat the Sharks or not.  These teams are really evenly matched in very different ways.  It's a fascinating matchup, actually.  However, I do know that, if the Sharks manage to take the series it will have been largely due to some serious off-the-chain lucky breaks.  Truth is, they should have been sent packing in the first round.  Kudos to them for scoring four PP goals for sure and bad on Vegas for just cratering when that horrendous penalty call was made (I mean, let in a goal or two if you have to but not FOUR!!!).

Still, "lucky" is a word that definitely applies to San Jose and where they currently are in the playoff hunt.   To deny that is just fooling oneself because the whole hockey world knows it's the truth.  

21 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

A puck?

Eakins was Guilty of a Cross check. Plain and simple. just not 5 minute major worthy cross check.

The real damage was done when Stastny interffered with off balance Pavelski and slammed his head into the ice like this.

giphy.gif

Perhaps not quite so pro wrestling choreographed, but the rest was the same except on ice instead of canvas.

BNG-L-SHARKS-0424-116.jpg?w=620

BNG-L-SHARKS-0424-134.jpg?w=620

. That's where the blood came from.

And FYI, the close up's have shown how he got the cut. Stastny's skate as it rakes across his face.

So yes a Cross checking major was the wrong call. However he was cross checked, then interfere slammed headfirst concussing him then got a skate ON THE FACE for good measure. that's Major worthy to me even if it was fast paced heat of the moment. Results dictate punishment, otherwise every Suckerpunch in History gets Bertuzzi punishment.

Apr_23_2019_21_12_27.gif

The narrative has gotten comical at this point. Even the vegas announcers were saying "He's gonna get something as he basically slammed Pavelski's head into the ice"

And then they went "What? that cross check wasn't what hurt him"

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

The Blues physicality is paying off in this series.

I wouldn't dress Karlsson, I'd take the healthy guy that can give me 12 quality minutes. 

I know he's a stud, yada-yada...I want him on my team but he's too beat up, he's forcing the other guys to double shift, stressing the entire d-corps. I would not dress him for game 6.

Joe Pavelski I think should be done for the series too, he's not been right since the Vegas series, Pietrangelo hit him in the mush on a clean hit in the 2nd and followed through with an elbow to make it dirty. I  know these guys are tough, but he's headed to Crosby missing a year territory if he takes one more shot to the noggin. The Blues won't stop hitting him.

The 4th win is always the hardest to get, I think the Sharks 9 lives are up.  They used a bunch up getting out of the first round vs Vegas.

The Blues...who'd have thunk it ? other than you know our buddy Rick.

• Like 1

Well that was what we Blues fans all been waiting for....a complete game with their full host of abilities on display.  That was perhaps the best game I've seen them play all season.  It was a totally dominant performance in all phases of the game.  When we play like that, we can beat anyone.

Our creation off the forecheck was excellent.  Puck control in the neutral zone was terrific.  Our big bodies on D were clogging up the middle and forcing everything to the outside.  Those seemingly continuous odd-man rushes by the Sharks we saw earlier in the series suddenly became non-existent. 

And Jordan Binnington was rock solid in goal, pitching a shutout by stopping all 21 San Jose shots on goal.  Think this kid isn't unflappable?  Since the controversial loss on the hand-pass goal in game three, all he's done is stop 50 of 51 shots (a .98 save percentage and a .50 GAA).

Jaden Schwartz, who, despite trailing Logan Couture in the overall playoff goals race this season, 14-12, actually has more goals 5-on-5 (10-6) and is now one of only five players in NHL history to score two hat-tricks in a single playoff run.  Since the tough-to-swallow game three loss, the Blues have outscored the Sharks 7-1. 

Not a bad way to react to a situation that was widely speculated by some pundits that the Blues might suffer a meltdown after being robbed by the ridiculous rules of the NHL.  The fact that the exact reverse has happened is a tribute to the players of course but, even more, to the steady hand of "interim" coach Craig Berube.  So far, the Chief has pressed all the right buttons at all the right times. 

Peter DeBoer, on the other hand, made a huge mistake by forcing star D-man Erik Karlsson into the lineup despite being seriously hobbled by a groin injury.  His handicapped presence in the game led directly to two goals, the first one by Oskar Sunqvist where Karlsson not only made an unexpected effort to pass the puck out from behind his own goal but subsequently ended up screening Martin Jones on Sundqvist's shot from the top of the circle.  The second goal stemmed from Karlsson's inability to turn on the jets to at least put a stick on Blues' sniper Vladimir Tarasenko as he got behind Brent Burns on a breakaway.  Burns tripped Tarasenko and the Blues' winger was awarded a penalty shot that he subsequently converted by smoking a rocket-shot over the glove hand of Martin Jones.  

The other big factor that was on full display was the Blues' physical domination of the Sharks.  After a spirited start to the game by San Jose, their energy level seemed to drain quickly in the second period and were outshot 36-10 during the final two frames.  It would appear that the heavy game the Blues are bringing is beginning to take its toll as several of the Sharks key players suffered injuries that make them questionable for game six (even though Donskoi was injured on an errant outlet pass from his own teammate).  

All this being said, the Sharks are far from dead.  They have shown remarkable resilience in prior series' this year and are undefeated in elimination games thus far.  However, this one feels a little different.  In post-game interviews, key players like Burns and Couture seemed a bit shellshocked.  It will be very interesting to see if they can somehow regroup and rally in game six back in St. Louis.  If so, it will be a monumental turnaround. 

One last thing and then I will shut up.  I had to literally laugh out loud at all of the whining and complaining coming from Sharks fans about the officiating yesterday on Twitter as the game was in progress.  Although the refs have been flat-out awful in virtually every game I have seen in the playoffs this year, there certainly has been enough bad and non-calls to go around for everyone, three of which were to the direct major benefit of the San Jose Sharks.  To hear their fans on social media and at the SAP Center itself holler "Refs you suck" in the third period yesterday was the absolute height of irony in my view.  Instant karma gonna getcha at some point and it really got San Jose yesterday.  Sorry guys, deal with it.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I have the Blues in 7.

I want the Sharks to win but I give the Blues the edge in goal because I don't trust Martin Jones.

Same opinion. I put Blues in 6. It seems Binnington is a better goalie than Jones and who, probably, will be a huge part of Blues team's efforts against Tuuka Rask and the Boston team in finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Same opinion. I put Blues in 6. It seems Binnington is a better goalie than Jones and who, probably, will be a huge part of Blues team's efforts against Tuuka Rask and the Boston team in finals.

Yeah from his numbers looks like I was right about Jones, and they are stuck with him for 5 more year at 5.75 mill a year...till 35.

Unless of course they can find someone to dump him on....Seattle maybe?

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah from his numbers looks like I was right about Jones, and they are stuck with him for 5 more year at 5.75 mill a year...till 35.

Unless of course they can find someone to dump him on....Seattle maybe?

Does Seattle come in this year?

Just now, Puck_Pun said:

Nope, 2021 entry

Ah, so another year.  I wonder if they  will be good like Vegas?  I certainly doubt they will make it to the Stanley Cup final in their first year like Vegas.  But if they even make the playoffs, they may have to think twice about their rules.  I do not think an expansion team should be handed a playoff team.  No way

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ah, so another year.  I wonder if they  will be good like Vegas?  I certainly doubt they will make it to the Stanley Cup final in their first year like Vegas.  But if they even make the playoffs, they may have to think twice about their rules.  I do not think an expansion team should be handed a playoff team.  No way

Two years, they're starting in the 21-22 season. Apparently that's how much time they need to finish the stadium

Just now, Puck_Pun said:

Two years, they're starting in the 21-22 season. Apparently that's how much time they need to finish the stadium

Well they also have Portland to help them out and maybe even Vancouver and Sacramento?  Spokane.  I wonder if they will have green uniforms?  Likely.  The Emerald City.  Do you know what they will be called?

36 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well they also have Portland to help them out and maybe even Vancouver and Sacramento?  Spokane.  I wonder if they will have green uniforms?  Likely.  The Emerald City.  Do you know what they will be called?

No announcement on a name, but the gear they've given out has been red-black, so probably that colour scheme