Sorry

flyer4ever

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

They are so rigid with the offsides that we now lose 10 or 15 minutes of our lives from  "was the last millimeter of the skate blade touching the line or not?"  Riveting entertainment. 

I agree with you. It's insane. However, I'm more interested in THIS ONE PARTICULAR INCIDENT because it's my belief that it's a result of the NHL botching a rule change that came into effect in 2005-06 after the lockout. So because the NHL didn't think it through when they moved the blue lines, we now have offsides occurring during line changes with players who aren't involved in the play. It's a glitch in the game. A bug that needs fixing.  My two cents (as usual).  :)

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is my pet peeve of the past 24 hours. Does anyone have a photo of an NHL rink showing the player benches and blue lines prior to the year 2004?  Apparently Google doesn't. 

If this same play had occurred prior to 2004, then there's no way the player could have been offside by standing next to the player's bench. The NHL f__ked up here on this one.  :( 

So in the absence of any photographic evidence whatsoever, I'm just going to say that the entire player's bench was in center ice and that no portion of the player's bench was in the offensive/defensive zone prior to the rule change involving the location of the blue lines.   

I do not have photographic evidence, but I am quite positive the entire bench fit quite nicely in center ice until they moved the lines. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

So in the absence of any photographic evidence whatsoever, I'm just going to say that the entire player's bench was in center ice and that no portion of the player's bench was in the offensive/defensive zone prior to the rule change involving the location of the blue lines.   

How about video evidence...?  :)

You are right, you should send it to the league to fix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I agree with you. It's insane. However, I'm more interested in THIS ONE PARTICULAR INCIDENT because it's my belief that it's a result of the NHL botching a rule change that came into effect in 2005-06 after the lockout. So because the NHL didn't think it through when they moved the blue lines, we now have offsides occurring during line changes with players who aren't involved in the play. It's a glitch in the game. A bug that needs fixing.  My two cents (as usual).  :)

I actually think they viewed this as a feature rather than a bug. 

I don't personally like it either, but I'm not aware of its actually coming up very often. 

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

How about video evidence...?  :)

You are right, you should send it to the league to fix.

You're the best!  That confirms what I suspected!  :)

Here is a screen capture of the video (since YT videos have a way of disappearing):

bluelines.png.c63d4222606a28d370f883508a84c7af.png

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I actually think they viewed this as a feature rather than a bug. 

I don't personally like it either, but I'm not aware of its actually coming up very often. 

I knew Bethesda ran the NHL

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't know if you were high, tired, completely disinterested, or all of the above when you wrote that lol.  ;) 

Yes, very proud of that particular post.

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Out of curiosity, WHY does the NHL call that play offside?  

It's my understanding that a player is no longer in play once he reaches the bench (regardless of whether or not he has left the ice yet). There is a "10 foot rule" or whatever you want to call it for line changes. The player doesn't have to be off completely before the next player can come on. 

So why (in the interests of keeping the flow of the game) would the NHL call an offside on a player who isn't there?  The player at the bench is like a ghost: he doesn't exist. 

Also keep in mind that this is only an issue because the NHL moved the blue lines out several years ago, thereby allowing this to happen. 

Because  it served  the outcome they wanted