2019 IIHF World Championship

Alexandron

2019 IIHF World Championship started today in Slovakia. 1st game and 1st surprise - team of Finland was able to upset team of Canada and win with a score 3:1. Interesting that Finland team has only 2 NHL players. Present interest also that 2 goals out of 3 to Canada net put ranked#2 top prospect eligible for the 2019 NHL entry draft Kaapo Kakko.

Team of Russia won over Norway team with a score 5:2.

2 other presenting an interest games are scheduled for this evening (8:00 p.m.): USA team is playing tonight against Slovakia team and Czech Republic team against Sweden.

To our moderators - please, check the forum software for submit reply. Something happened to it recently.

To our fans- please, do not press multiple times to submit reply button for same message. Otherwise , the message will be published multiple times. Enough, to press just once.

Regarding a World Championship tournament:

Our Wild player who is playing for the Switzerland team – Kevin Fiala has already a hat trick during the game 1 against Italy. So far a Swiss team doing well – 2 wins. Russian team is doing pretty well there too – 3 wins. Our Wild prospect Kaprizov is playing for team of Russia at the 4th line. No points yet for him so far. And Dadonov, Kucherov and Gusev(certainly is a future NHL star, who signed for Vegas) are most productive for the Russian team. Vasilevskiy having 2 shutouts out of 3 games too.

Kaapo Kakko (top 2019 draft prospect) from Finland also had a hat trick during a game 2 against Slovakia team and having total the most goals 5 in this tournament. Team from Finland lost today a tough game 3 against USA in OT with a score 3:2.

Canada team is having a hard time too by playing at this moment against Slovakia team. After 2 periods score is 5:4 for the Canada team because a Slovakian team had already twice a two goal lead during that game.

• 2 weeks later...

A real entertaining game (Canada vs Switzerland). No way did I see the end coming that we saw once it got past 1.00 minutes left and the goalie  out. I thought we were done for. I never knew Mark Stone was as good as he is. I especially love the early games now that I am retired and can watch them. 😉

On 5/23/2019 at 4:06 PM, BluPuk said:

A real entertaining game (Canada vs Switzerland). No way did I see the end coming that we saw once it got past 1.00 minutes left and the goalie  out. I thought we were done for. I never knew Mark Stone was as good as he is. I especially love the early games now that I am retired and can watch them. 😉

An interesting and a very speedy World Championship this year. You can watch many full time games by looking on YouTube. Many surprises/results I have seen from most teams there. I am still thinking that the motivation to get any medals(especially gold) in these tournaments is extremely/superbly high. And it does not matter too much how professional are the players, because the motivation there is helping to move mountains. Same happened with USA team in 1980 when they able to beat a tough USSR team. And now at this IIHF World Championship same happening with a Finland team, which able to beat a very nice Russia team in semifinals (with a score 1:0) and winning now with a score 3:1 over a super professional Canadian team 3 minutes before the end of regulation.

Team from Russia have got a bronze medal in a very difficult game today against a Czech Republic in SO with a score 3:2.

Even without medals I would like to mention nice teams from USA, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden and Slovakia.

Congrats to a Finland team, which have got a gold medal  this year in a very tough tournament.

• 2 years later...

Congrats to Canada for winning the title....there was no new thread so i put it here.

Andrew Mangiapane named MVP of the IIHF World Hockey Championship.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Thanks 1

Hard to believe this team won. There was far superior talent that passed on going to this tournament. They started out 0-3 against Latvia, the U.S. and Germany. But they got better every game. Well done. 

For anyone who missed it check out Troy Stecher in OT against Russia at the start of the playoffs...last man back and he pulls that! 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

For anyone who missed it check out Troy Stecher in OT against Russia at the start of the playoffs...last man back and he pulls that! 

Dave Hakstol taught him that move at North Dakota he said....

:ph34r:

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Congrats to Canada for winning the title....there was no new thread so i put it here.

Andrew Mangiapane named MVP of the IIHF World Hockey Championship.

Thanks for posting.  Interesting that our former goalie Darcy Kuemper won the gold for Canada team. In the 1st 3 losing games of the tournament he was involved only in one game, and in the other 2 was Aden Hill. Congrats to Darcy and to entire Canada team!!!

Pierre LeBrun did a mistake in his twit - Canada won in OT over Finland with a score 3:2, but not 2:1.

Interesting also that solid NHL players Provorov; Tarasenko and Bobrovsky  played for the Russian team, but they lost to Canada team in OT during playoffs .

• Like 1