Krueger hired by Sabres? Strange move

Buffalo Rick

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

JR, who the hell is this guy?   Edmonton coach they say?  I do not like this at all

Hey, in 2013, with a roster that was a shadow of what Todd McLellan had to work with, Krueger had the Oilers in a playoff spot until two weeks before the season ended. He actually had Nail Yakupov score enough to lead the team in goals. After Craig MacTavish fired him via Skype, he ended up coaching Team Switzerland in the Olympics, where they greatly over-achieved, and in 2016, he coached Team Europe to the finals at the World Cup of Hockey.

He ended up taking a job running the Southampton football club after that. Under him, they returned to the Premiership, with the owner of the team being able to parlay that success into a half-billion dollar sale of the club. RFK is a member of the World Economic Forum, and is paid handsomely to travel around the planet, speaking to major CEOs about how to run their businesses. He wrote a best-selling book about motivation and team building. He's a great communicator. Honestly, he's probably the NHL's version of The World's Most Interesting Man.

I'm not crapping on Buffalo for one second when I say this: for a man with Ralph Krueger's resume, coaching the Buffalo Sabres or any other NHL team is a downgrade for him. He's fresh off a hot run in the Premier League. The NHL is a step down, but he does love hockey.

I don't know how this will work out, but I think the mistake was Edmonton firing Ralph Krueger, not the Sabres hiring him.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Hey, in 2013, with a roster that was a shadow of what Todd McLellan had to work with, Krueger had the Oilers in a playoff spot until two weeks before the season ended. He actually had Nail Yakupov score enough to lead the team in goals. After Craig MacTavish fired him via Skype, he ended up coaching Team Switzerland in the Olympics, where they greatly over-achieved, and in 2016, he coached Team Europe to the finals at the World Cup of Hockey.

He ended up taking a job running the Southampton football club after that. Under him, they returned to the Premiership, with the owner of the team being able to parlay that success into a half-billion dollar sale of the club. RFK is a member of the World Economic Forum, and is paid handsomely to travel around the planet, speaking to major CEOs about how to run their businesses. He wrote a best-selling book about motivation and team building. He's a great communicator. Honestly, he's probably the NHL's version of The World's Most Interesting Man.

I'm not crapping on Buffalo for one second when I say this: for a man with Ralph Krueger's resume, coaching the Buffalo Sabres or any other NHL team is a downgrade for him. He's fresh off a hot run in the Premier League. The NHL is a step down, but he does love hockey.

I don't know how this will work out, but I think the mistake was Edmonton firing Ralph Krueger, not the Sabres hiring him.

Well I hope you are right.  Its very strange that Botterill even knows him given his soccer background?  I am a bit shocked they would go into the world of the premier league, which I do follow, to get this guy? Why is he not coaching in the NHL?  Well, he is now.  I have no idea how the players will react?  I guess they have no choice.  First we need to finish re setting the roster before we worry about how good the coach is.  The goalie to me is not good enough.  Hutton should be traded or released.  I would gladly go for Jake Allen over him.  The draft is coming so that has to play out. The two teams playing tonight owe us picks.  The fact they are playing in the Western conference finals means the picks will not be high. But I believe extra ones come due to conditional circumstances with Kane and O'Reilly.  I was not happy when Ruff came here the first time.  And that worked out great.  Ruff took us far and far often. Nolan was very popular.  And when he was not re hired after being coach of the year it was shocking and shouts of racism rung all over.  We know damn well it was racism. Nolan is an Indian. Its just a sad story. I did want Lindy back but that is done. Good luck Mr Krueger. Its far too early to cast judgement on you like many here already have

Ralph Krueger back in NHL as Sabres head coach

By Sean Leahy, May 15, 2019, 9:00 AM EDT

Buffalo Sabres general manager Jason Botterill has made his decision and has chosen Ralph Krueger to be the team’s next head coach.

“As we sat down with Ralph, we liked what he has from an NHL background, the fact he worked with Carolina as a consultant for five or six years while he was head coach with Team Switzerland,” Botterill said Wednesday morning. “We liked the fact he was on the bench for three years in Edmonton, but we also put a lot of stock into his experience at the World Championships and the World Cup at the Olympics. Those are high-pressure situations where you have to make adjustments and you have to make quick decisions and he got results in those situations. That was impressive from our standpoint.

“When we did the follow up from talking with different players who had worked under Ralph they felt he was a very good communicator with them. That ability to get the most out of a group and communicate with a group we felt was a very good fit for our situation in Buffalo.”

Botterill reportedly had a thorough search for Phil Housley’s replacement and settled on Krueger, who was last behind a bench guiding Team Europe to a runner-up finish at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. Jacques Martin and Dave Tippett were reportedly among the finalists for the job.

Since 2014, the 59-year-old Kruger had been chairman of English Premier League side Southampton F.C. It was announced last month that his contract would not be extended.

Krueger’s last presence in the NHL was as head coach with the Edmonton Oilers during the lockout-shortened 2013 season. He was fired — over Skype — after a 19-22-7 record, three years after he was brought into the organization as an associate coach.

Months after his surprising success at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, Krueger’s name entered the head coaching rumor mill and remained whenever a new job opened up. He told Pro Soccer Talk in May 2017 that he had turned down two NHL jobs, citing his happiness with his role at Southampton.

Speaking with The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun in April, Krueger spoke about the experience he gained in the role as chairman, something he could certainly bring to his new job with the Sabres.

“Now I’ve had the opportunity to be that person who creates a culture where you try to have it that everybody can really find their potential and find out what they’re made of,” Krueger said. “So my evolution has been neat that way. Now six years into this, if someone is asking me about the NHL, your brain goes to a similar role.’”

Krueger, who will be the Sabres’ fifth coach since 2013, has plenty of work ahead of him in turning around the franchise’s fortunes. Buffalo finished with the fifth-worst record in the NHL in 2018-19 and won 16 of their final 57 games after a 10-game winning streak earlier in the season gave hope that The Queen City would see playoff hockey again.

There are good pieces in Rasmus Dahlin, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, and possibly Jeff Skinner, should he re-sign, to build around, and Botterill will add another with the No. 7 overall selection in next month’s entry draft.

When Lindy Ruff got off the plane in Buffalo years ago I knew him well as a former Sabre player.  I was not thrilled with the coaching move as Ted Nolan had just come off the great season and won coach of the year. I could not believe he was not resigned.  Racism?  Maybe.  Old ownership though. I am not going to pre judge Kreuger.  Maybe this guy can lead us.  He can be no worse than Housley.  First things first.  See who Botterill is able to sign. Does he sign Skinner?  That is in process.  Does he keep Hutton?  I hope not.  I would think Jake Allen would be available after the season.  I would gladly give him a shot in Buffalo.  Better than anyone we have now for sure.  Not sure where we are with Luuukenen.  I do not even think he is on Finland's roster?  In the Worlds?  I will check again. The draft looms.  Not sure who the Sabres can get at 7?  Should be a starter at 7 you would think?  Free agency we need to sign a couple of forwards. I want the Blues to win the Cup and the Sabres to get Shwartz. LOL.  Yeah sure.  But there have to be plenty of UFA's out there?  Give Krueger the best team you can and around Eichel and hopefully Skinner and Risto and Dahlin we have a good nucleus to move forward with.

@Hockey Junkie Krueger is a little bit like Ted Nolan, in that he's not as much of an X's and O's guy, but is more of a communicator and motivator. His teams have over-achieved at different levels and even in different sports, which is always a good sign, IMO. I hope that it works out for both Ralph and the Sabres.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

@Hockey Junkie Krueger is a little bit like Ted Nolan, in that he's not as much of an X's and O's guy, but is more of a communicator and motivator. His teams have over-achieved at different levels and even in different sports, which is always a good sign, IMO. I hope that it works out for both Ralph and the Sabres.

Thanks.  First things first.  The draft and the FA moves that Botterill must make.  WE do have a few extra picks from Blues and Sharks. Conditional.  And since they both went deep they will be as good as possible.  I am praying the Blues get this done.  After the Sabres for me its the Blues.  Then the only other teams I like are the Kings and Canucks.  Maybe Ill like Seattle?  I wonder if they start this year?

I am not going to pre judge Krueger.  Clean slate and I hope the guy works out. You know he hit some bars in Buffalo and sat down next to fans and they had no clue who he was of course. Just to get a feel for the town

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:33 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

I would think Jake Allen would be available after the season.

Would you want Ryan Miller back? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

On 5/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, JR Ewing said:

Thanks for wishing us well.  And same to you and your Oilers.  Sure have our work cut out. Now the draft and the trades after this stressful playoff is over.  I just hope it ends well