Penguins, Wild discussing Kessel deal

Ugh - obviously some concerns on how great players seem to go to the Wild and start their retirement - but curious what they're going to give up to get this "asset"...

"Jim Rutherford has said publicly he's willing to shake up his roster" - hmmm, so did it move to some minor tweaks to shaking things up...? Wonder how much his gopher status plays a role in all of this...

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/report-wild-penguins-engaged-in-trade-talks-involving-phil-kessel

I thought the Fenton plan was to get younger and faster.  Well, maybe one of his new loyal acolytes can share with him that pursuing Kessel and Pavelski and nixing the Staal deadline deal is just a wee bit off course.

Edited by 4Check
Spelling

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Cross your fingers, apparently the Wild are on Kessel's NO TRADE list and he doesn't sound like he is willing to waive it...there may be hope yet...

Fingers crossed... our faith is in Kessel's hands. Heatley - Vanek - Kessel... does not that sound so familiar. What is it that the organisation wants to be a retirement home, not a hockey team. Is it the fact that Leopold should retire, but doesn't...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Fingers crossed... our faith is in Kessel's hands. Heatley - Vanek - Kessel... does not that sound so familiar. What is it that the organisation wants to be a retirement home, not a hockey team. Is it the fact that Leopold should retire, but doesn't...

Maybe the Pens could get a third or fourth round draft pick for him?! I would hate to see him go.

• Haha 1

The new GM is an absolute asshat.   https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-navigating-phil-kessel-trade-wont-easy-penguins/

1. Here’s my sense of what’s going on with Phil Kessel: he vetoed a trade to Minnesota and the story is out because both teams are unhappy. He cannot be traded to the Wild without specific approval, and, if you know Kessel, you know he will stand up for his rights no matter what anyone else thinks. The fact it got out may make it even harder to complete, because he’ll push back against pressure.

I’d heard things went badly last season between him and the organization, and this confirms it. He knows he will be traded because there’s no benefit to staying, but he’s going to make sure it is on his terms if the Penguins want to send him anywhere other than his eight-team list. My guess is Arizona would be high on his choice of destinations, but I don’t see an easy fit. The Penguins want scoring in return and the Coyotes finished 28th in goals-for. Memorial Day weekend comes at a perfect time for everyone to take a deep breath, drink some strawberry daiquiris, then search for a solution.

2. You know who else can’t be thrilled? Jason Zucker. That’s twice (Calgary at the deadline) he’s been sent somewhere, only to have it aborted. Someone is going to get a very motivated player. He must want to strangle someone

I can’t figure out why the wild are so hot to move zucker, and I’m fine if they do. However they had better get good return for him and whoever they get had better be under 30 years old. 

This team needs to get younger because it is a long way from being a true contender. 

I'd also hesitate to pull the trigger on this.  Zucker's explosive speed is a rare commodity.  Taking nothing away from Kessel  of course but, considering the upside possibilities, I'd want to keep Zucker.

Edited by BlueAero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueAero said:

I'd also hesitate to pull the trigger on this.  Zucker's explosive speed is a rare commodity.  Taking nothing away from Kessel  of course but, considering the upside possibilities, I'd want to keep Zucker.

Same opinion. He needs a really smart young and fast helpers for his better production. I do not remember that Boudreau tried to combine him with Kunin and Donato as a 1st line. As a routine for the Wild organization the older and much slower players should be moved down because of the current level of the modern professional hockey. No any exceptions should be done for the old love buds/love pets.

• Like 1

Another fortunate trade where someone managed to veto it.  As much as I'd love to see Victor Rask to go; losing Zucker for Kessel and Jack Johnson is a big mistake.  Older, arguably slower...and more expensive.  The younger and faster mantra is just BS spin for his previous crappy trades.  The truth is he is just flying by the seat of his pants or ownership is trying to push all of his Wisconsin' buttons because Suter thinks its a great idea.  

By the way, let Kessel stay Pittsburgh's problem.  As for Zucker, he may be motivated next year, he may not be.  His wife has already said she's not leaving the Twin Cities.  He was invisible far too often last year.  He wasn't using his speed or demonstrating his scoring touch nearly often enough.  Do I think it will stay that way if he sticks around.  Maybe...but he clearly isn't a player Fenton seems to like very much.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

As for Zucker, he may be motivated next year, he may not be.  His wife has already said she's not leaving the Twin Cities.  He was invisible far too often last year.  He wasn't using his speed or demonstrating his scoring touch nearly often enough.  Do I think it will stay that way if he sticks around.  Maybe...but he clearly isn't a player Fenton seems to like very much.  

I still want to believe he was suffering from Big Contract pressure, Which he put on himself. Gripping his stick too tight was an understatement. Virtually every chance was botched and it snowballed all season. I can't believe in such a drop off in ability would happen that quick. If he hadn't signed that contract and this happened, That's a different story.

Given a chance to reflect on it all, Zucker may go into this season a bit more relaxed and hopefully regain his play of the season before last.

People seem to love Carly, But to Tweet things like "If you want to stay in Minny, You better start playing like it" Doesn't help a bit when someone's struggling. Might/Probably said in jest but C'mon. She's probably annoyed Fenton to the point of trading him to shut her up.

Fenton seems bent on trading him, But I'd like to see him back. If he was to regain form He'd be a strong asset. 

He's still young enough and has obvious speed in which what was Fenton's 'Big Plan'.

New contract, new baby, new lineup, a lot of change going on. 

If you take all of the goal posts and crossbars he hit last year and think that even 1/3 rd would go in he would have close to 10 more goals. 

I’m not sure I would give up on him yet. 

12 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I still want to believe he was suffering from Big Contract pressure, Which he put on himself. Gripping his stick too tight was an understatement. Virtually every chance was botched and it snowballed all season. I can't believe in such a drop off in ability would happen that quick. If he hadn't signed that contract and this happened, That's a different story.

Given a chance to reflect on it all, Zucker may go into this season a bit more relaxed and hopefully regain his play of the season before last.

People seem to love Carly, But to Tweet things like "If you want to stay in Minny, You better start playing like it" Doesn't help a bit when someone's struggling. Might/Probably said in jest but C'mon. She's probably annoyed Fenton to the point of trading him to shut her up.

Fenton seems bent on trading him, But I'd like to see him back. If he was to regain form He'd be a strong asset. 

He's still young enough and has obvious speed in which what was Fenton's 'Big Plan'.

That may seem mean, but its true.  He's making decent money now, so you better produce like it.  He wasn't even really skating that hard and he seemed distracted and disengaged far too often.  That to me is why he probably soured on Fenton pretty quick.  Yet, could he turn it around.  Maybe.  Maybe he's distracted by being a somewhat high profile Twin Cities' sports couple.  Either way, he needs to refocus and make it happen on the ice if he really wants to endear himself to Fenton and the rest of the organization.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, Starofthenorth said:

1. Here’s my sense of what’s going on with Phil Kessel: he vetoed a trade to Minnesota and the story is out because both teams are unhappy. He cannot be traded to the Wild without specific approval, and, if you know Kessel, you know he will stand up for his rights no matter what anyone else thinks. The fact it got out may make it even harder to complete, because he’ll push back against pressure.

I’d heard things went badly last season between him and the organization, and this confirms it.

Kessel seems to have a short shelf life wherever he goes.

Boston couldn't stand him.

Toronto couldn't stand him.

Now Pittsburgh can't stand him.

One word:  TOXIC.  

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Kessel seems to have a short shelf life wherever he goes.

Boston couldn't stand him.

Toronto couldn't stand him.

Now Pittsburgh can't stand him.

One word:  TOXIC.  

Yet surprisingly he didn't want to come to a team that already has its own TOXIC culture.  Maybe he didn't want to compete to be the most toxic element on the team.  Either way, I wasn't mad at all when I heard the trade got nixed.  As for @IllaZilla comment, he's 100% correct.  Fenton is hellbent on trading him.  IMO, it'd be smarter to keep him around for at least one more season and see if he can rebound and raise his trade value a bit.  But instead we're going to sell low.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Phil should have talked to Leipold instead of Fenton. According to him, the roster is only a tweak away from the Cup...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yet surprisingly he didn't want to come to a team that already has its own TOXIC culture.  Maybe he didn't want to compete to be the most toxic element on the team.  Either way, I wasn't mad at all when I heard the trade got nixed.  As for @IllaZilla comment, he's 100% correct.  Fenton is hellbent on trading him.  IMO, it'd be smarter to keep him around for at least one more season and see if he can rebound and raise his trade value a bit.  But instead we're going to sell low.  

I don't think it's possible to sell high with Phil Kessel. He seems like a good guy at first, then things turn sour quickly. If your team is winning, he seems to be able to keep it together for a bit. If the team encounters any adversity, he's like the anchor that will drag your ship down. 

51 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't think it's possible to sell high with Phil Kessel. He seems like a good guy at first, then things turn sour quickly. If your team is winning, he seems to be able to keep it together for a bit. If the team encounters any adversity, he's like the anchor that will drag your ship down. 

I am talking about Zucker.  I don't really hate Phil Kessel.  But I simply feel it flies in the face of what does need to be done.  To get younger and faster.  I agree with that premise.  But adding older players doesn't fit that philosophy.  The shelf life comments...sure.  Its bad here already.  I don't from a toxicity standpoint it would make much of a difference.  As long as #20 is here its going to be Chernobyl-esque.  

I just don’t understand the need to move Zucker. 

If a good offer is made sure. 

If you can get younger, faster, cheaper sure. 

But it seems fenton wants to move him just to get rid of him, and I just don’t see why.