Ratcliffe

Watching this game with Guelph losing the cup on NHL network now. 

Kid’s got a HELL of a shot.  

But while Ratty looks promising, but what this piece fails to mention is his costly penalties.  

Still Frost, Farabee and Ratcliffe are a promising trio.  

lhttps://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/ratcliffes-magical-season-ends--philadelphia-flyers/c-307541954

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

But while Ratty looks promising, but what this piece fails to mention is his costly penalties.  

lhttps://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/ratcliffes-magical-season-ends--philadelphia-flyers/c-307541954

I hate to see the kid's run come to and end but they fought hard.

But they played a Rouyn-Notanda Husky team that won a franchise 59-8-4 so it was no easy task.

But now it's time for the big boy league.

He will get his chance to fine tune his skating and has a good chance to wear an A for the Phantoms.

He'll have a lot of good talent to work with next year they should push hard to make the playoffs.

20 hours ago, King Knut said:

The guy captained his team into the Memorial Cup (they were the 8th best reg season team) overcoming several series deficits (down 3-0, 3-1 and 2-0 in series), scored 65 goals in the process. He may have taken a few dumb penalties, like a lot of guys will when they play that much hockey. But he more than made up for them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The guy captained his team into the Memorial Cup (they were the 8th best reg season team) overcoming several series deficits (down 3-0, 3-1 and 2-0 in series), scored 65 goals in the process. He may have taken a few dumb penalties, like a lot of guys will when they play that much hockey. But he more than made up for them. 

One of the two he scored in the losing game was a minute or so after leaving the box.  I like seeing that.  

• Like 2

He might be the perfect trading chip this summer. He was able to boost his value and that means Fletch has a viable alternative to offer in trades after other GMs ask for Frost or Farabee. 

55 minutes ago, brelic said:

He might be the perfect trading chip this summer. He was able to boost his value and that means Fletch has a viable alternative to offer in trades after other GMs ask for Frost or Farabee. 

Myself I don't even think about the trade route yet before exploring every option in free agency.

It just seems like a move that could add even more heat to his seat if he doesn't hit on it.

However no way I could fully say yeah or nah till I know what the return would be.

I myself are just reluctant to move some of these pieces before I even know what I have in them.

I would rather move pieces from the current roster that I'm not in favor of.

But hey that's me.

• Like 2

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/05/26/philadelphia-flyers-prospect-isaac-ratcliffe/

Evaluating Philadelphia Flyers Prospect Isaac Ratcliffe in The Memorial Cup

By
 Rob Brent
 -
May 26, 2019
Isaac Ratcliffe GUELPH, ON - MAY 6: Isaac Ratcliffe #19 of the Guelph Storm skates against the Ottawa 67's in Game Three of the OHL Championship Series Final at the Sleeman Centre on May 6, 2019 in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The Storm defeated the 67's 7-2. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

The Guelph Storm’s season may have ended in disappointment after a 6-4 loss to the QMJHL champion Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in the 2019 Memorial Cup semi-finals, but the Philadelphia Flyers should be pleased with the progress of their 2017, 35th overall draft pick Isaac Ratcliffe.

Over the last several weeks, the team went on a run for the ages through the Ontario Hockey League playoffs. The Storm overcame multiple series deficits, including a 3-0 hole to the London Knights, to capture the J. Robertson Cup. The Storm entered the tournament as long shots despite a bounty of talent that includes Ratcliffe, Montreal Canadiens prospect Nick Suzuki, and Los Angeles Kingsprospect Sean Durzi.

Isaac Ratcliffe Showing Progress

When the Flyers first selected Ratcliffe in 2017, the forward was a raw talent. More project than prospect, Ratcliffe presented a unique bundle of attributes that needed refinement and growth. After his stellar play in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup, the forward is poised to deliver on promising talent. The forward has put on weight, allowing him to better use his 6-foot-6 frame to protect the puck. He has also greatly improved his stick handling ability. This was shown in a highlight reel goal against the CHL goaltender of the year, Ian Scott of the Prince Albert Raiders, in the Storm’s final round-robin matchup.

🚨 The Captain works his magic hands ✨@isaacratcliffe dangles and slides it in to make it 2-1! #GUEvsPA | #MemorialCup

Isaac Ratcliffe has also continued to work on his skating, a crucial skill in the more speed-oriented style of play in the new NHL. His ability to make adjustments, skate at high speeds, and move in front of the net is elite for a player of his towering stature.

Ratcliffe’s stellar play showed up on the scoreboard, finishing with three goals and three assists in four Memorial Cup games.

Under Development

The Memorial Cup served as proof of Ratcliffe’s growth. It also revealed areas in which he must still improve. Chief among these issues is showing discipline in key situations. The left winger finished the tournament with eight penalty minutes in four games. These were often crucial mistakes including a stick infraction that led to Rouyn-Noranda’s opening goal in the semi-final matchup. When at his best, Ratcliffe plays a physical game, so taking penalties will happen. These infractions, however, must not occur in crucial situations when his team needs him on the ice.

Playmaking ability is another area that Ratcliffe needs to develop further. He is capable of making high-level offensive plays, but often foregoes passing in favour of playing the puck along the boards. Ratcliffe’s center, Nick Suzuki, serves as the primary playmaker for the Storm first line, and it shows. As a left wing, it is not Ratcliffe’s priority to be a passer, but more poise with the puck would be a dangerous weapon.

Projection for Isaac Ratcliffe

Ratcliffe will likely start next season playing for the Flyers AHL affiliate, The Lehigh Valley Phantoms. He should definitely grow, however, into a legit NHL player with top-six potential. Ratcliffe could develop into a premier power forward, a dying breed in today’s NHL.

His unique mix of skating ability, soft hands, and hockey IQ should protect him from the pitfalls that power forwards face in the modern game. He could be a perfect fit as the net-front presence the powerplay has missed since the departure of Wayne Simmonds. This diverse set of skills make Ratcliffe an exciting prospect for the Flyers organization.

Look for Ratcliffe to play most of next season in Lehigh Valley but could be a full-time NHL player by the 2020-21 season.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He could be a perfect fit as the net-front presence the powerplay has missed since the departure of Wayne Simmonds. This diverse set of skills make Ratcliffe an exciting prospect for the Flyers organization.

He needs to get some more grit to his game and discipline and if the does that a Simmonds type is exactly what i can see for the kid.

23 hours ago, brelic said:

I don't move Ratcliffe.  No way.  His size and skill upfront are what we're missing.  Why would I move that?

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't move Ratcliffe.  No way.  His size and skill upfront are what we're missing.  Why would I move that?

Oh, you guys lol. 

I’m not suggesting Fletch actively move him. I’m suggesting that if Fletch aggressively pursues an avenue to make the team better now, Ratcliffe has emerged as a tradeable asset with value and as an alternative to Frost or Farabee, both of whom are higher rated than Ratcliffe. 

The oft-tossed around maxim that “his value may never be higher” could absolutely apply in this case. 

Would I trade him for Subban? No. Trouba? Maybe. Laine? Absolutely. Marner? Hell yeah. 

Context is important. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Named to the Allstar Memorial Cup team...

G - Alexis Gravel
D - Noah Dobson
D - Sean Durzi
F - Isaac Ratcliffe
F - Benoit Olivier-Groulx
F - Félix Bibeau

Trade him his value will never be higher.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Named to the Allstar Memorial Cup team...

G - Alexis Gravel
D - Noah Dobson
D - Sean Durzi
F - Isaac Ratcliffe
F - Benoit Olivier-Groulx
F - Félix Bibeau

How does that work? Is it from among all CHL teams? Only Memorial Cup teams?

2 hours ago, brelic said:

How does that work? Is it from among all CHL teams? Only Memorial Cup teams?

Only Cup teams.

Noah Dobson won a Memorial Cup in back to back years for two different clubs.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, brelic said:

Would I trade him for Subban? No. Trouba? Maybe.

You would take Trouba over Subban?

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I'm not sure why Trouba is so adored all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, he's by no means a bad player, but the way some folks are talking on this board makes me wonder what I'm missing. He plays on a very strong roster and isn't excelling in any real way imo.

On our team, I doubt he would end up playing with Provo. He'd likely be a solid 2nd pairing guy, which is great and all, but I'm not backing up the truck for that personally... especially when our bigger need remains down the middle, not on the back end.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I'm not sure why Trouba is so adored all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, he's by no means a bad player, but the way some folks are talking on this board makes me wonder what I'm missing. He plays on a very strong roster and isn't excelling in any real way imo.

On our team, I doubt he would end up playing with Provo. He'd likely be a solid 2nd pairing guy, which is great and all, but I'm not backing up the truck for that personally... especially when our bigger need remains down the middle, not on the back end.

I question Trouba's attitude. 

Outside of that, he's an RHD that can play next to Provorov letting Sanheim solidify the 2nd pair on his natural side. 

That works for me. YMMV

For me, yeah, I'll take him over Subban. At 30, PK seems to be breaking down and on the backside. He still has some mileage, at a $9M cap hit he's not worth it. 

Trouba is 5 years younger, had better numbers and will likely be cheaper. 

I know Trouba had teammates, but Subban's teammates are no slouch. 

I know it's not like they are the only two options, and I'm open to other possibilities, but between the two it's Trouba for me all day every day. 

I think my higher priority is 2C, though. Hoping to do both, but in order it's 2C and RW for me. Then the dman. 

58 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Outside of that, he's an RHD that can play next to Provorov letting Sanheim solidify the 2nd pair on his natural side. 

That works for me. YMMV

For me, yeah, I'll take him over Subban. At 30, PK seems to be breaking down and on the backside. He still has some mileage, at a $9M cap hit he's not worth it. 

I know it's not like they are the only two options, and I'm open to other possibilities, but between the two it's Trouba for me all day every day. 

I think my higher priority is 2C, though. Hoping to do both, but in order it's 2C and RW for me. Then the dman. 

Trade Ghost for RNH, theres your center,  steal Kapenen from TO via offersheet, theres the winger, trade 11th, O' Brian, plus? for Trouba, theres your dman and you didnt lose any top prospects or grossly overpay to sign some old guy. Or pay Kevin Hayes 7 million. 

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That works for me. YMMV

To be honest, I wouldn't really want Subban either. I'm just not sure I'd want Trouba over him honestly. At least Subban could be the sort of mentor type for our young back end, which I can understand. Trouba isn't that.

Also, I agree with you on his attitude. I remember he was tossed through the muck a while back for wanting too much money. At some level, that's just folks wanting to get paid, but the problem is he's never really shown himself to be a no.1 guy (yet), so I can understand the Jets brass not really wanting to shell out that level of salary.

Could suddenly become a legit no.1 dman at 26yrs old? Sure. Do I expect him to? Meh. It's possible? It's also entirely possible he benefits from entirely too much hype in a market starved for hockey success.

Edited by elmatus

12 hours ago, elmatus said:

I think age was my reasoning at the time, and admittedly, I don't know much about Trouba. 

I do really like Subban and think he brings something that Trouba doesn't - star attraction. That seems like a move that Scott would enjoy for that reason alone. They would sell so many jerseys. But, I also think he's not everyone's cup of tea.

From my reading of the differences between the two, PK is a higher risk/reward player that has proven offensive capability and a certain dynamism to his game not unlike Ghost. Trouba is a more sound two-way defenseman.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Trouba is a more sound two-way defenseman.

He's really more of a stay at home type through his career. Last season he had 50 pts, which is double his usual totals. He wasn't any sort of dynamo in junior either. It seems more likely last season was an anomaly than not at this point. More than likely he's a 25-30pt guy at best. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

It's also entirely possible he benefits from entirely too much hype in a market starved for hockey success.

Wait, are we talking about Provorov now?

:)

In all seriousness, I think either Trouba or Subban would be a boost to what we have. Put another way, they're both possibly better and more experienced than anyone we have on the blueline - and that includes Provorov until I see him bounce back into cyborg mode.

Either one makes our team better.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Wait, are we talking about Provorov now?

:)

In all seriousness, I think either Trouba or Subban would be a boost to what we have. Put another way, they're both possibly better and more experienced than anyone we have on the blueline - and that includes Provorov until I see him bounce back into cyborg mode.

This is what I'm not sure I understand though. Subban I can get. He's had some stellar years and has on many occasions been the deciding factor in games in his career. Trouba really has not. Not only that, he's never even come close to being that guy. It feels a lot like someone hyped him up and somehow the internet blew it wild. I don't think he's ever shown he has that level of talent.

As far as making our team better, it would depend on what we're giving up. If we lose a Ghost to get a Trouba, I would consider that making us worse for sure. I'm fine with trading Ghost, but we can do better than Trouba for him.

And if we're hedging bets on Provo, mine is with him regaining his form and then some. The drop last season was too precipitous to be some sort of real decline.

Edited by elmatus

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

Since the discussion is about  Dmen I seen mention this morning that Calgary is wanting to move one.

So would TJ Brodie or Travis Hamonic be of interest to the Fly guys?

Asking for a friend.