Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

yave1964

The season of discontent Leaf review

Recommended Posts

PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS Very high is putting it mildly. Tavares became arguably the biggest free agent signing in NHL history joining a stacked group of forwards with the hopes high that they would finally get past Rask and Boston and make a deep run in the playoffs.

 

FINAL RECORD 46-28-8 100 points, 3rd in division lost in first round to the Bruins. AGAIN.

 

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Dont get me wrong, they managed 100 points,  good for 7th best record in the NHL which was a hell of a year but I submit to you that they had no true high point. Matthews had a hot streak or two, Andersen a good winning streak or two but the fact is they knew from pretty much November that it was inevitable that they would be facing Boston in the first round and they slid along all year on a kind of Bataan death march towards the inevitable.

 

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR Kadri getting suspended. Again. In the playoffs against Boston. AGAIN. Losing game seven. Again To Boston AGAIN.

 

WHAT WENT RIGHT Lots really. Matthews was arguably the teams third best forward and had 73 points in only 67 games, Marner was arguably the games best winger Tavares was absolutely as good as advertised. In spite of this the teams MVP may have been d-man Morgan Reilly who was nearly a point a game player Kapane, Johnsson and Hyman all had 20 or more goals, Jake Muzzin had 16 points in only 30 games in Toronto and a plus 11 stabilizing the defense. In net Andersen was brilliant at times.

 

WHAT WENT WRONG Nylander held out for half a season and only managed 7 goals and looked pathetically lost most of the year. Kadri saw his goals drop in half. Marleau looked old and slow because he is. Gardiner took astep back. Garret Sparks was kept as the backup and while he wasn't bad was not exactly good either.

 

FREE AGENTS  Gardiner is going to be very difficult to keep financially, Hainsey who has been a solid penalty killer is aging and a free agent and likely wont be back. Ennis will be looking for work elsewhere. The huge problem is not the UFAs but the RFA's as Marner will want big money for big term, Johnsson as well and so will Kapanen. Even if they lose Gardiner (likely) the odds are they will not be able to keep all three forwards. Someone will have to go.

 

 OFFSEASON QUESTIONS What now? Everything went right and they still lost to Boston. Rumors are that Kadri will be shopped for a replacement for Gardiner, the one most in vogue right now is he may be dealt to Calgary for Brodie. If so where do they get a 3rd center? Gautheir looks like a bust, Will the real Wee Willie Nylander please stand up? Is he a 60 point 2nd liner or an overpriced 40 point soft 3rd liner?

  The big one is Marner, can they keep him? The rumor is he is going to take his time and visit multiple teams before presenting an offer to Toronto. This may be a very bad situation.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Will the real Wee Willie

 

Should have dealt him last summer while they still had some good leverage and they could have avoided some of this stink that's about to go down this offseason.

 

Oh well that will be a hot mess next and now Zaitsev has demanded a trade outa Tronno.

 

Could have picked a worse time....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS Very high is putting it mildly. Tavares became arguably the biggest free agent signing in NHL history joining a stacked group of forwards with the hopes high that they would finally get past Rask and Boston and make a deep run in the playoffs.

 

:ok:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

FINAL RECORD 46-28-8 100 points, 3rd in division lost in first round to the Bruins. AGAIN.

 

:rage:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Dont get me wrong, they managed 100 points,  good for 7th best record in the NHL which was a hell of a year but I submit to you that they had no true high point. Matthews had a hot streak or two, Andersen a good winning streak or two but the fact is they knew from pretty much November that it was inevitable that they would be facing Boston in the first round and they slid along all year on a kind of Bataan death march towards the inevitable.

 

:lookingboard:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR Kadri getting suspended. Again. In the playoffs against Boston. AGAIN. Losing game seven. Again To Boston AGAIN.

 

:hockey-referee-smiley-emoticon:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

WHAT WENT RIGHT Lots really. Matthews was arguably the teams third best forward and had 73 points in only 67 games, Marner was arguably the games best winger Tavares was absolutely as good as advertised. In spite of this the teams MVP may have been d-man Morgan Reilly who was nearly a point a game player Kapane, Johnsson and Hyman all had 20 or more goals, Jake Muzzin had 16 points in only 30 games in Toronto and a plus 11 stabilizing the defense. In net Andersen was brilliant at times.

 

:goodjob:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

WHAT WENT WRONG Nylander held out for half a season and only managed 7 goals and looked pathetically lost most of the year. Kadri saw his goals drop in half. Marleau looked old and slow because he is. Gardiner took astep back. Garret Sparks was kept as the backup and while he wasn't bad was not exactly good either.

 

:DohSmiley:

 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, yave1964 said:

FREE AGENTS  Gardiner is going to be very difficult to keep financially, Hainsey who has been a solid penalty killer is aging and a free agent and likely wont be back. Ennis will be looking for work elsewhere. The huge problem is not the UFAs but the RFA's as Marner will want big money for big term, Johnsson as well and so will Kapanen. Even if they lose Gardiner (likely) the odds are they will not be able to keep all three forwards. Someone will have to go.

 

 OFFSEASON QUESTIONS What now? Everything went right and they still lost to Boston. Rumors are that Kadri will be shopped for a replacement for Gardiner, the one most in vogue right now is he may be dealt to Calgary for Brodie. If so where do they get a 3rd center? Gautheir looks like a bust, Will the real Wee Willie Nylander please stand up? Is he a 60 point 2nd liner or an overpriced 40 point soft 3rd liner?

  The big one is Marner, can they keep him? The rumor is he is going to take his time and visit multiple teams before presenting an offer to Toronto. This may be a very bad situation.

 

💥

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A glimpse into what the Leafs might have enjoyed right now if they had exorcized their playoff demons:

 

 

:)

 

 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Leafs need a personality transplant. The team has no identity - at least not one that will result in more wins and mastery over the hated Broons. They are not a hitting team, but they are not a non-hitting team either. They have no power play and no PK either.

The leafs team needs a big injection of character. Nylander has to go - he is a locker room poison IMHO and a deadweight around the team neck.

Matthews stunk last year IMHO. That has to change. I'm getting depressed writing this........

 

Heading out for eighteen holes........ 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      Should have dealt him last summer while they still had some good leverage and they could have avoided some of this stink that's about to go down this offseason.   Oh well that will be a hot mess next and now Zaitsev has demanded a trade outa Tronno.   Could have picked a worse time....
    • 1
      Post
      PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS Very high is putting it mildly. Tavares became arguably the biggest free agent signing in NHL history joining a stacked group of forwards with the hopes high that they would finally get past Rask and Boston and make a deep run in the playoffs.   FINAL RECORD 46-28-8 100 points, 3rd in division lost in first round to the Bruins. AGAIN.   HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Dont get me wrong, they managed 100 points,  good for 7th best record in the NHL which was a he
    • 1
      Post
      💥
×
×
  • Create New...