Potential moves for Flyers

From what we already know and have read, it seems that we can pretty much agree on  the Flyers needs for the upcoming season.  So, we need a second line center ,a scoring wing and a veteran defenseman and backup goalie.  I want to see us improve but, I want to do it by giving up as few assets as possible.  So there are a few rumors and options out there I'm going to go by realistic expectations,  we are not getting Marner , so let's start with a scoring winger..

Scoring winger...Panarin, the best available, but will be very expensive and lots of competition, highly unlikely we get him.  Skinner is also good but is supposed to re- sign. To me an easier move is to steal Kapenan  or Andreas Johnnson from Toronto, they will be too busy trying to sign Marner and improve their defense to pay Johnnson and  Kapenen. So all this should cost us is a second round pick. We can land a young speedy wing with good scoring skills who can potentially score 30.

Second line center...Hayes , Duschene or Pavelski , Hayes is the cheapest and youngest, but you will still overpay for him. He is making 5 million already,  you gonna pay him 7 million? Duschene will be looking for even bigger $$  and Pavelski is too old. If we pay any of them big $ ,what will Coots want when he is up in 2 years , he has outscored all of them and is only making 4 million. Your gonna pay the third line center 7 million while your first line guy is at 4 million? This sounds like a big problem,  Coots will be pretty unhappy. The other option is dealing Ghost for a third line center who still has a decent contract. RNH from Edmonton has been rumored to be traded for Ghost, he makes 6 million and his 2 years left until UFA. So I'm not really confident in signing any of these UFA centers. Maybe RNH is our best bet, and you can bump up Coots to 6 million. If they want Jake instead of Ghost for RNH, then that's fine.

Veteran defensemen.... Karlsson is gonna want too much,  Myers will be overpaid, Stralman is a good defensive guy but hes 32 and probably not a first pairing guy anymore. He is only worth it if the price and terms are reasonable. If we give,  let's say, Meyers a huge contract, if Provo does not sign and has a big year, then that makes it even harder for us to sign him. Trouba is still young and can be first pair guy, I'm sure there will be multiple teams bidding to drive up the price. Being semi realistic would the 11th pick and Jay OBrian be enough?  Probably not, but I would never give up Frost, Farabee or Ratcliffe .

So if my plan works ,we give up a second rounder, Ghost, 11th pick and O`Brian, plus?  for Kapenan, RN Hopkins and Trouba. We get all young guys and we dont give up our top prospects  and we dont overpay for an older guy who throws our whole cap situation into chaos and then hinders our future negotiations with our current players.

Backup goalie who knows? 

I dont think signing 2 big UFA to huge long term contracts is the way to go, one big contract tops ,but I prefer the type of trades I listed.  I think signing an up and coming RFA winger is a liscense to steal .  Please leave your input or suggestions. 

Thanks Asst GM Ron Jeremy

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

So if my plan works ,we give up a second rounder, Ghost, 11th pick and O`Brian, plus?  for Kapenan, RN Hopkins and Trouba.

If you can make this happen, I would be very happy with this summer and looking forward to October.

I just think Fletcher is gonna waste our pick for some mediocre  guy on Minnesota.  I can also see him giving up one of our top prospects like Frost. Etc.. He is trying to make a name for himself in Philly and impress Homer and the other idiots. He didnt draft these young guys so its like he is in Vegas playing with someone elses chips.  He is not gonna be conservative,  i can easily see this over eager tool overpaying and screwing up our team

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I just think Fletcher is gonna waste our pick for some mediocre  guy on Minnesota.  I can also see him giving up one of our top prospects like Frost. Etc.. He is trying to make a name for himself in Philly and impress Homer and the other idiots. He didnt draft these young guys so its like he is in Vegas playing with someone elses chips.  He is not gonna be conservative,  i can easily see this over eager tool overpaying and screwing up our team

Well I certainly hope you're wrong.

19 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Hope you are wrong aswell. But I have a bad feeling fletch will give up the 11th for zucker.... 

18 minutes ago, ctid said:

Hope you are wrong aswell. But I have a bad feeling fletch will give up the 11th for zucker.... 

I would be ok with Zucker honestly.

He has a decent contract for 4 more year at 5.5 mill per however he is a LW and well they are just full at LW.

So it wouldn't make much sense.

2017-18 he put up 33 goals and 64 points.

Sure I know 33 goals isn't earth shattering I know but for perspective only 3 current Flyers have ever even scored 33 goals before Couturier, Giroux and JVR so sure the Flyers can use another 30 goal scorer.

However where would you put him?

Bump Lindblom down and put him on the 3rd line?

So yeah unless there was another shoe to drop that trade wouldn't make much sense.

4 hours ago, ctid said:

With Hayes in the fold now, my guess is any other moves Fletch makes will be for a vet dman. Some of that may depend on what he thinks of the kids coming up of course. Bringing in a vet would mean blocking someone else at this point. He's mentioned wanting to though, so I wouldn't be shocked.

We do need a 3rd line RW now with Simmer gone I suppose. Not sure who fits the bill there though, and he might prefer to give the remaining spot to someone from LHV and bump Hartman up to the third or something.

I've always liked Marcus Johansson. I think he's at the end of his contract. Would be a decent 3rd line signing. He's currently a bit busy to talk to other teams though I would bet.

Edited by elmatus

Reasoning for zucker is that I belive Fletch said in his statement a week ago or so that his needs right now are: 2C (done with Hayes) a dman, goalie and I believe he mentioned a scoring winger. Also he does not want to rely or out pressure on the prospects (Ratcliffe, frost, farabee). 

I like zucker and not too concerned with him being a LW as wingers switch sides quite often. Many options here, move G to RW or get JVR to play his offwing...or just move zucker to RW. 

I just don't like a scenario where we go e up the 11th....love building through the draft too much and I believe there is a really really good prospect available at 11.

• Good Post 1

30 minutes ago, ctid said:

Many options here, move G to RW or get JVR to play his offwing...or just move zucker to RW. 

Is it that simple?

Not everyone guy can play on their off wing.

Maybe Chuck knows and if he considers this he better know.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is it that simple?

Not everyone guy can play on their off wing.

Maybe Chuck knows and if he considers this he better know.

Probably not...i'd just like to think so. Especially considering how the game has developed and the flexibility of players needing to be able to play different positions when required and moving up and down the lineup... Maybe it's tougher for bigger old school wingers to play off wing... But for wingers like TK or Zucker I think it's easier. Their games are high tempo dynamic roles which are ch would make it easier to switch

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

However where would you put him?

He's played both wings, so I guess the idea would be 3RW.   I'm okay with Zucker  (you will NOT appreciate this, but he's painful to have in fantasy hockey), but I don't know that I want to spend an 11th OAP on a 3RW.   He's a guy that should be able to slide up and down the lineup, too.  And he does also play the left so he is able to be moved around even more, if needed.

But an 11th pick?  I don't know.   I just might, but the 11th does give me pause.

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's played both wings, so I guess the idea would be 3RW.   I'm okay with Zucker  (you will NOT appreciate this, but he's painful to have in fantasy hockey), but I don't know that I want to spend an 11th OAP on a 3RW.   He's a guy that should be able to slide up and down the lineup, too.  And he does also play the left so he is able to be moved around even more, if needed.

But an 11th pick?  I don't know.   I just might, but the 11th does give me pause.

Yeah I'm with you on the pick maybe the 43rd or even a prospect or something.

• Like 1

Fletcher won't move Farabee, Frost or Ratcliffe. He knows what he has in those guys and you can bet that he's not moving them. I expect Fletcher though will move guys like Allison and Laczynski. As for the 11th overall, I'm all for moving it if they can get a player who is between 22 and 25 years of age and just about ready to break through. I know the name Kapanen has come up a lot, but I'm also thinking of players like Roslovic in Winnipeg or Colin White in Ottawa (although I'm not sure the Sens would move him). 

What I want to see is if they can get Hayes' name on a contract and what that contract will be worth. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Fletcher won't move Farabee, Frost or Ratcliffe. He knows what he has in those guys and you can bet that he's not moving them. I expect Fletcher though will move guys like Allison and Laczynski. As for the 11th overall, I'm all for moving it if they can get a player who is between 22 and 25 years of age and just about ready to break through. I know the name Kapanen has come up a lot, but I'm also thinking of players like Roslovic in Winnipeg or Colin White in Ottawa (although I'm not sure the Sens would move him). 

What I want to see is if they can get Hayes' name on a contract and what that contract will be worth. 

It will be about 6-6.5 mill per...the term?

5 or 6 years I am sure.

A NMC or NTC i hope not.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It will be about 6-6.5 mill per...the term?

5 or 6 years I am sure.

A NMC or NTC i hope not.

If we can steal Kapenan or Johnsson from Toronto it may only cost us a second round pick and we will be adding a 20-30 goal scorer with speed.  Then all we need is the veteran dman , the question is are they gonna trade Ghost or the pick for this defenseman. 

If we can steal Kapenan or Johnsson from Toronto it may only cost us a second round pick and we will be adding a 20-30 goal scorer with speed.  Then all we need is the veteran dman , the question is are they gonna trade Ghost or the pick for this defenseman. 

I wouldn't trade Ghost for him if I trade Ghost it will be for another forward with more potential.

Kapanen is ok for the 3rd line spot but honestly that is where I see him topping out as and no way I am giving up the 11th for a 3rd line RW.

I will flip them the 43rd 2nd rounder for his services.

Best I can do.

I might would exchange Hagg for him.

But the Leafs don't have any leverage and I would keep them over the barrel. 

Kapanen has already been traded once as a piece in the Kessell deal.

I just don't think he is the high end forward you give up a lot for sorry.

That’s why I wrote steal Kapenen..since hes UFA the contract we give is only gonna be worth a second round compensation, I certainly wouldn’t give up # 11. So if we get Kapenen and can sign Hayes  , then all that is left is a veteran  dman. So depending on the quality of the dman if it’s Trouba, they will want Ghost for sure. If it’s some other dman maybe the # 11. They key is stealing an UFA from Toronto, we won’t give up much as compensation , thereby leaving us our assets to use in getting a quality defenseman.

• Like 1

depending on the quality of the dman if it’s Trouba, they will want Ghost for sure

I hope this doesn't happen. I don't think Trouba is as advertised. One good season does not a solid vet dman make. If we're going to do something like this, let's get a vet dman with a proven record of some sort, not someone who may just have gotten one lucky year.

• Like 2

@elmatus I know Trouba was highly regarded and we know it takes dmen longer to develop but I dont get to watch other teams at all ,so I cant rate his play. If we have to trade Ghost or the pick, i would hope its for a 25 or 26 year old player not somebody who is 32 and on his last legs..Do you have any dmen in mind who are relatively young and have what it takes to stabilize the defense and be somewhat of a leader.