Potential moves for Flyers

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

As it stands right now, where do we slot in the East?

They can easily replace the Blue Jackets after they get gutted.

And Rangers still don't have a 2nd line center.

Main thing now is get their guys signed and find a RW for the 3rd line.

I think they will be right there in the fight if they can find a good backup to give Hart a rest and doesn't give up the fort in goal.

13 hours ago, brelic said:

The Devils got Subban for peanuts.

So the Devils got Subban and Hughes (1st overall) to add to Hischier (1st overall) and Hall (1st overall).

Rangers got Kakko (2nd overall) and Trouba (9th overall).

If the Panthers get Panarin and Bob, they will also have made a major upgrade.

Flyers got Hayes, Niskanen and Braun.

As it stands right now, where do we slot in the East? Not liking the way this summer has shaped up so far.

The Devils should be improved with Subban for sure, but there's no telling how good Hughes will be in year one. Still, it's safe to assume they will be better than last year. And in the next 2-3 years, they should continue to improve quite substantially. We may be looking at a new kingpin on the rise frankly. I think they still need a few more solid pieces to get there, but they're well on their way. 

A good friend of mine writes for pro hockey talk with MSNBC. Apparently their office has taken to using the term Ray Hero. 

The Rangers I don't think will be quite as good. Kakko is a rookie, so there's really no telling what he can do in a first year. Trouba I still think is overrated. I think they'll probably be similar to last year, maybe slightly better, but I wouldn't put much money on them for this coming season.

If the Panthers get Panarin and Bob with Quenneville behind the bench, they're going to be stacked as hell. They're already bursting with talent. All Coach Q needs to do is figure out how to use it properly, and there aren't many coaches I would trust more with that task than him. If they do get those two, I can absolutely see them as contenders next season. I expect most will in fact. The only significant challenge they would have is they play in what is almost certainly going to be the strongest division in the league.

Us? I think we'll be a bubble team still. I choose to believe we'll sneak into the playoffs owing to improved coaching and goaltending though. It'll be all about what AV and co. can put together with the pieces we already have. Mostly I'll be looking (again) to see what our younger players can do. If we do improve, it'll be because of them taking a step forward, combined with better systems from the coaches. I don't think we'll see a huge difference from the off-season acquisitions unfortunately. They're just not really impact players imo.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

@elmatus

That’s why I’m thinking Fletch May have one more big move this summer. Nothing he’s done really moves the needle with this team. It will make us better defensively, more stable on the PK and down the middle. 

Honestly, though, a lot will come down to how AV can get these guys to play. 

And of course, the X factor: goaltending. Can Hart start 50 games *and* provide more than league average goaltending for the team? And who’s his backup?

What move do you see him making?

He signed Hayes. 2C discussion over 

He traded the 11 but made another pick. That ends that trade rumor.

Without the pick to package, I think that ensures Ghost is staying.

So, will he move an impact player to solidify the 3RW?

I dont see that 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Honestly, though, a lot will come down to how AV can get these guys to play. 

This was always gonna be the case. We already have the superstar talent we need: JVR, Jake, Hayes, etc 

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, that could be. Solidify the 3RW by getting a 1RW and pushing everyone down... say, Marner. 

Ok. How does he do that? What pieces get moved?

On 6/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, OccamsRazor said:

This is just for comparison's sake but an educated guess in somewhere around these ball parks.

You forgot to add in the "Fletch" factor.

There's no way he's letting those guys off with that low of a caphit!

23 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You forgot to add in the "Fletch" factor.

There's no way he's letting those guys off with that low of a caphit!

No movement clauses for everyone!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Cam Talbot and Brian Elliott, veteran goalies who can become unrestricted free agents July 1, are among the candidates to be Carter Hart’s backup with the Flyers.

But the Flyers are also exploring other options.

The Flyers may try to sign a free-agent goaltender like Curtis McElhinney, or general manager Chuck Fletcher could venture into the trade market.

“There are a couple balls in the air right now. We’ll see here in the next little while,” new coach Alain Vigneault said at the NHL draft Saturday when asked about the backup goalie.

I would certainly take a run at Curtis....he maybe just what Hart needs.

Put up some good numbers. 20-11-0-2 2.58 gaa 912% 2 shutouts in regular season.

Playoffs 3-2-0-0 2.01 gaa 930%

I think my #1 choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is the chance Simmer comes back to plug the 3rd line RW hole???

There was early speculation that Simmonds was going to be a rent and return situation. 

I would be delighted to see it happen

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm torn on it after watching him with the Preds it concerns me that he is just done....power forward skills seem to at different times just fall off a cliff....not sure they wouldn't be better off with a Connolly or Nyquist on the 3rd. 

• Good Post 1

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm torn on it after watching him with the Preds it concerns me that he is just done....power forward skills seem to at different times just fall off a cliff....not sure they wouldn't be better off with a Connolly or Nyquist on the 3rd. 

Im thinking he might accept a nice hometown contract, and fit real well on that line. I want that toughness back and he could fit that role

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

There was early speculation that Simmonds was going to be a rent and return situation. 

Love the guy.

Don't want him back.

He's done.

• Like 3