Potential moves for Flyers

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Speaking of staff.... we havent really talked coaching alot (other than the hirings). All the chatter about who plays where and what the pairings will be is fun, but I'm curious what this new staff will be about. Considering all the talent, the PP was laughable and the defense porous. What will be the approach to fix all this? 

Thing I remember about playing AV's Rangers teams was how there was no space the high % scoring areas against them. They sagged to the middle and tied up sticks really well. They also had a very good group of defensemen that would win races to the puck or battles in the corners and make good outlets if they couldn't skate the puck out. Then when you did finally beat the back checking  there was the goddamned KING to beat... 

The Flyers have the talent to recreate that type of defense, I think this group of players skates better than those Rangers players, even though that Rangers d-corps was stacked in 13/14. 

I also felt like those Rangers teams were always attacking and when they were playing their game it seemed like they out manned the opponents everywhere on the ice. It took a loaded Kings team to beat them and that team was big and won individual battles to combat the "swarm" and had top of his game Jonathan Quick backstopping them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, radoran said:

I know Giroux is good, but... 👺

The bottom six is somewhat... underwhelming? And that third line has, what? Three seasons of NHL experience?

That said, once Couturier replaces Giroux up top 🤗, I could see AV going strength-for-strength on matchups against other teams' top line.

I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing a lot of line shuffling, even in-game. Which isn't a bad thing. They've got three vet NHL coaches who can put things together. Wouldn't surprise me to see JVR on the wing or either Hayes or Patrick pending where the draw is, for example.

If nothing else, this will be an interesting season. Which really hasn't been true for a couple years now.

Last year's 2C and part time 2LW are the 3C and 3LW now.  That's an improvement to the 3rd line.  

Most seem to think that Fletcher's holding that 3RW slot for a kid like Vrobyov or Frost or whoever.  It's probably more likely Vigneault would slide up Laughton and have Vrobyev center the 4th, but I think Laughton's good in the 4C role and would like to see him stay there until injuries temporarily require otherwise.  

I'm actually still holding out hope Fletcher's got a few million (and some incentive bonuses) set aside to try to bring in Justin Williams for that 3RW slot.  

I think he's exactly what that line and this locker room needs.  

He's unsure about returning at all.  I he chooses to, it'll be hard to pry him away from Carolina.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Justin Williams for that 3RW slot.  

I think he's exactly what that line and this locker room needs.  

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

😬 @ruxpin

LOL  Well, KK did talk about the line first.   And the experience would be beneficial.  If we're talking cup experience in the room, maybe that's one thing.  Just fun to play poker with isn't.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL  Well, KK did talk about the line first.   And the experience would be beneficial.  If we're talking cup experience in the room, maybe that's one thing.  Just fun to play poker with isn't.

I very specifically mentioned the line first.  The dude is 37 and still produces.  

He's the embodiment of a guy who's not JUST good in the room.  He's just plain good.  

And I think there's also a distinction to be made (as you allude to) between  "Good in the room"  and  "Been here before... a few times... and got it done." He was a significant part of getting the Hurricanes to the Conference Finals last year.  He wasn't amazing in the playoffs, but he was solid.  

Solid play and strong, experienced based leadership is what this team needs.  I wish they would have signed him two years ago.  I wish they'd try it now.  They probably won't.  

With Niskanen, the Flyers now have a cup winner.  Whoopty doo.  I'd like a Conn Smythe winning gray old fart on the third line please.  

• Good Post 1

So in filling out the roster I will post this...

Should the Flyers be targeting Tyler Ennis?

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/6/28/19102646/nhl-philadelphia-flyers-toronto-maple-leafs-tyler-ennis-free-agency-stats-analysis

Thoughts, concerns, complaints are welcome.

:beer:

Not bad puck handling I say...

Here is every goal from last year...

I say yeah if you can get him on a reasonable 1 deal deal I roll the dice on him...

Edited by OccamsRazor

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not bad puck handling I say...

Here is every goal from last year...

I say yeah if you can get him on a reasonable 1 deal deal I roll the dice on him...

I'm not saying no, but I'm not excited. Indifferent, I guess. 

On 6/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm not saying no, but I'm not excited. Indifferent, I guess. 

So i wonder what Chuckles has up his sleeve today once all the madness starts today???

What crazy stuff will he pull off today you know he can't let all these others teams get all the press....

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i wonder what Chuckles has up his sleeve today once all the madness starts today???

What crazy stuff will he pull off today you know he can't let all these others teams get all the press....

Matt Read 4 years x $5M

• Haha 1

Would Brett Ritchie be worth a kick to the ol tires the Stars didn't qualify him...he brings some size and maybe could be taken on a one year deal.

However he has been on a downward spiral since 2016 and scoring 16 goals for just 24 points and might be exactly what the Flyers DON'T need can't say i watch a whole lot of Stars games. Must be a reason they are moving on from the 44th overall pick.

Asking for Chuckles...

59 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Matt Read 4 years x $5M

I do that, he's versatile, good in the room...a lot of intangibles with Matt...plus- Bemidji State, amirite? huh, Minnestoa college boy hmmm- perfect fit !:ph34r:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I do that, he's versatile, good in the room...a lot of intangibles with Matt...plus- Bemidji State, amirite? huh, Minnestoa college boy hmmm- perfect fit !:ph34r:

You forgot to say you "like what he brings to the ice" 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So what does that mean?

Right just that he wants more than his qualifying offer which just guessing here was around 1.1-1.2 mill.

I said at the start of the offseason I can see him getting a Raffl type deal. 

2 yr 1.6mill - 1.8mill per deal.

And they can go all the way till the day of the hearing and settle right before.

Nothing to worry about for sure.

The guy they need to get under contract is Provorov. He is the cornerstone to the defense hopefully for the next 8 years at least.

Per Bill M.

2) In the latter case, there remains a holding pattern while the Flyers and Provorov's agent, Mark Gandler, wait to see what Boston's Charlie McAvoy and Columbus' Zach Werenski receive in their next contracts. Meanwhile, the other teams and the players' respective agents are also waiting for someone else to make the first move that sets the market for the other two. 

So who blinks first?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right just that he wants more than his qualifying offer which just guessing here was around 1.1-1.2 mill.

I said at the start of the offseason I can see him getting a Raffl type deal. 

2 yr 1.6mill - 1.8mill per deal.

And they can go all the way till the day of the hearing and settle right before.

Nothing to worry about for sure.

The guy they need to get under contract is Provorov. He is the cornerstone to the defense hopefully for the next 8 years at least.

I couldn't fund what the qualifying offer was for SL. My guess is they are taking a "hands are tied" approach. Knowing there is a stalemate happening, they let arbitration occur and that gives them more knowledge on what thier financial position is. Once they know what that number is , they go to TK and IP and say, thus is what we can do

Both will get signed. They are the priority 

Laughton's QO was $1,050,000.

Arbitration filing is pretty much a formality for eligible players who don't have contracts by the time the deadline hits. It doesn't mean anything more than Laughton is making sure he keeps all of the tools he has available to him.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I couldn't fund what the qualifying offer was for SL. My guess is they are taking a "hands are tied" approach. Knowing there is a stalemate happening, they let arbitration occur and that gives them more knowledge on what thier financial position is. Once they know what that number is , they go to TK and IP and say, thus is what we can do

Both will get signed. They are the priority 

Flames Sam Bennett filed too but they just worked out a 2 yr deal for 1.9 mill per so right around there is what Laughton should get so I say 1.8 mill per for him over 2.

Chuckie says:"I spoke with Mark Gandler (Provorov's agent) just a few days ago, everything is cordial and amicable,"  "But I think until the market settles out a bit, it may be difficult to move forward on Provorov."