Potential moves for Flyers

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The good news is that if anyone can make a dumber trade than Fletcher, it's Bergevin. 

Fletcher:  I'll trade you Ghost for Andrew Shaw.

Bergevin:  I'm not comfortable with that.  How about Ghost for Shaw and a 3rd round pick?

Fletcher:  It's not bad, but if you're doing the third round pick, you have to take Hagg as well.   

Bergevin:  Hagg too?  Okay, but then how about Drouin and a 2nd and Poehling.  We have a guy selling peanuts that can play center.  So, Ghost and Hagg for Drouin, Poehling, and a 2nd?

Fletcher:  No deal unless you take Konecny and a first.    So Ghost, Hagg, Konecny, 1st for Drouin, Poehling, and a 2nd.

Bergevin:  You drive a hard bargain, but how about you take Kotkaniemi too?

Fletcher:  would you consider Nate Thompson instead?

Together:  This is too hard.  I'm going to talk to the Sharks first.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 2

I don't think I'm excited, but what do we think of Richard Panik at 3RW?   I don't think it would cost that much and he could be dropped to 4th and Pitlicker could be jettisoned or moved to #13 if a kid steps up.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think I'm excited, but what do we think of Richard Panik at 3RW?   I don't think it would cost that much and he could be dropped to 4th and Pitlicker could be jettisoned or moved to #13 if a kid steps up.

Richard Panik.

The CLASSIC crap shoot type player.
I suppose if the price is right (he had a 2.8M cap hit last season), AND the Philly scouting staff has a good read on WHICH Panik they are getting, he might be worth a contract.

Yes, I said, which Panik.
There seems to be two versions of the guy...

Version A (preferable)…. feeds off dynamic linemates, he won't carry a line on his own, but with smart and skilled linemates, he can produce, and at his best, also brings a physical and agitating presence to any line he is on.

Version B (not so much)….. guy who sorta floats around, won't really elevate linemates (so if he is lined up with other grinders, he could very wll "disappear"), tries to play physical, but not overly enthusiastic about it, and won't really get in people's faces or chirp away at them to get them off their game.

He has driven teams and coaches CRAZY trying to figure out how they can keep Version A on their team....everyone from the Lightning, to the Blackhawks, to the Coyotes.
Hey, if the Flyers think they can unlock this guy and keep him in Version A mode, then fantastic...otherwise, he could very easily become the next whipping boy for Flyers fans wondering why the hell did Fletcher sign this guy.

Personally, I think if you want a guy you can plug in different areas of the lineup, not cost too much, pitch in some scoring here and there, and just play a more consistent game, then look to perhaps SJ free agent Joonas Donskoi.
Or, maybe give your very own Tyrell Goulbourne another go... The Ghoul may not be completely NHL viable, but the guy, if I remember, plays with complete heart n soul out there, isn't afraid to hit or agitate a bit himself.

• Good Post 1

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Pass.

Yeah, I think I'm with you. Just thinking he's UFA and not expensive and could slot on. Not excited and TFG is right, he's horribly inconsistent.  Yeah, okay, pass

Well someone is making the Flyers this year even if by default...

The club has around $16 million in cap space if Philippe Myers makes the roster over David Schlemko. Fletcher still needs to sign four restricted free agents in Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, Scott Laughton and Nicolas Aube-Kubel.

"We have plenty of cap space to bring our players back," Fletcher said. "Whether we have enough to go add another player, I'm not sure about that."

:PopcornSmiley2:

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick -15 Nicolas Aube Kubel
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 3 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere  - 22 Philip Myers 

5 Sam Morin 8 Robert Hagg

79 Carter Hart

37 Brian Elliott

Well it's what we are looking at right now.

Not sure of a few of these numbers i just guessed.

Edited by OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

9 Ivan Provorov - 3 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere  - 22 Philip Myers 

5 Sam Morin 8 Robert Hagg

To me, Ghost and maybe even Myers have more to offer than Niskanen or Braun. The question remains whether AV will play them to their merits or not though. 

Personally, I'd like to see Provo/Sanheim, but I don't think AV will set that given all the "we need vets" stuff they've been bandying about. Mind you, Ghost/Niskanen would seem defensively weak to me, so maybe not.

At the end of the day, AV has a history of playing vets for the sake of playing vets. I don't imagine that'll change here in PHI.

Edited by elmatus

43 minutes ago, elmatus said:

To me, Ghost and maybe even Myers have more to offer than Niskanen or Braun.

Sure skill wise.

But that isn't why they are here. They are the vet presence that Mcdud was suppose to be.

Now will they be? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Now if you want to make an assumption either way yes or no...by all means do.

44 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Personally, I'd like to see Provo/Sanheim

And you never know in time this coming year or further down the line it could be that way.

Or it could be Myers or even Morin shocks us all and it be him. Who knows.

But right now we need them clicking like we know they are capable of.

Hopefully this awesome blueline reaches it's potential we see on paper.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Ghost and maybe even Myers have more to offer than Niskanen or Braun.

I think they both have higher upside than those vets

Right now though, Ghost is a not as strong in his own end as either Niskanen or Braun. He's not bad, but I'm never putting him out with under a minute protecting a 1 goal lead.  I would do that with either Niskanen or Braun.

Myers, boy, he just needs time and some luck with his health, he has monster-great, player written all over him. He shows flashes of top pairing guy already. He's smart, big, has a bit of a mean streak in him...he skates like Sanhiem...he could be a true stud.

Sam Morin is a wild card too, that lug can skate as well, he's got NBA arm length and he's mean...really if things go well with these young guys, both Niskanen and Braun are allowed to walk or traded for assets at a deadline. 

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

28 Claude Giroux - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny

I know Giroux is good, but... 👺

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick -15 Nicolas Aube Kubel
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick

The bottom six is somewhat... underwhelming? And that third line has, what? Three seasons of NHL experience?

That said, once Couturier replaces Giroux up top 🤗, I could see AV going strength-for-strength on matchups against other teams' top line.

I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing a lot of line shuffling, even in-game. Which isn't a bad thing. They've got three vet NHL coaches who can put things together. Wouldn't surprise me to see JVR on the wing or either Hayes or Patrick pending where the draw is, for example.

If nothing else, this will be an interesting season. Which really hasn't been true for a couple years now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

The bottom six is somewhat... underwhelming?

Sure. But the 4th has chemistry with two of them...will Pitlick help or hender it?

And that third line has, what? Three seasons of NHL experience?

Yep and all have something to prove if they want to stay there.

I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing a lot of line shuffling, even in-game.

It's a given a new staff some new pieces.

You can only gauge so much in camp/preason with mixed squad teams they will be going up against...some will be given it their all and some just going through the motions trying not to get hurt before it counts.

I have faith they will figure it out.

I have to agree with whomever said it this roster/team is hands down better on paper than last year.

Nothing but one thing to do is go out there and show us on the ice.

They can not afford to come out flat and struggle till Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, radoran said:

If nothing else, this will be an interesting season.

Yeah no shat for real...after glancing at their schedule to start the season in Prague vs. the Blackhawks, then home vs the Devils and then off to a west coast swing for 3 games in 5 days before returning home.

Wow just crazy.

And after the game in Prague the Blackhawks fly home where they play for 7 straight games.

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think they both have higher upside than those vets

Right now though, Ghost is a not as strong in his own end as either Niskanen or Braun. He's not bad, but I'm never putting him out with under a minute protecting a 1 goal lead.  I would do that with either Niskanen or Braun.

Myers, boy, he just needs time and some luck with his health, he has monster-great, player written all over him. He shows flashes of top pairing guy already. He's smart, big, has a bit of a mean streak in him...he skates like Sanhiem...he could be a true stud.

Sam Morin is a wild card too, that lug can skate as well, he's got NBA arm length and he's mean...really if things go well with these young guys, both Niskanen and Braun are allowed to walk or traded for assets at a deadline. 

If Ghost and Myers were that good already,  there would have been no need to make moves. Last season was proof the defense wasnt good enough

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's a given a new staff some new pieces.

You can only gauge so much in camp/preason with mixed squad teams they will be going up against...some will be given it their all and some just going through the motions trying not to get hurt before it counts.

I have faith they will figure it out.

Speaking of staff.... we havent really talked coaching alot (other than the hirings). All the chatter about who plays where and what the pairings will be is fun, but I'm curious what this new staff will be about. Considering all the talent, the PP was laughable and the defense porous. What will be the approach to fix all this?