Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

RonJeremy

Potential moves for Flyers

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

Riddle me this (and you should know this one given your love of goats)

 

What lives under a bridge that would cause it to be called a roof? 

 

Sheep damn it! I know they're both ruminants, but sheep are so much fluffier!

 

Ok, I got it! My brain is not what it used to be it seems. Once we find the moon part of Mars it won't matter though.

 

Edited by Podein25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

 

Sheep damn it! I know they're both ruminants, but sheep are so much fluffier!

 

Ok, I got it! My brain is not what it used to be it seems. Once we find the moon part of Mars it won't matter though.

 

Hey, if I find the moon part of Mars, mutton else matters! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

 

Apt description, probably.

 

The other thing I'm concerned about..well, two now that I'm re-reading your numbered list.

1) He's serious about making the team better.

I suppose I still should, but I don't think I question that he's serious and wants to make the team better.    Where my jury is still out is if he can be smart about it.    I'm hung up on that irrational dislike thing.  :)

 

For sure - the jury's still out for me too. He hasn't done anything of real significance yet, so I don't know if we have Fletcher v1.1.3  or Fletch 2.0.

 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

2) This is the one I was going with before I decided to add the snark in #1.   So, I think we've talked about this before and don't think it holds as much merit with some here--and I think you, without putting words in your mouth--is I do not want Frost blocked.  I suppose Duchene could come in and really light up the first or second line and we realize Patrick ain't it or move him for winger/dman help and then Frost slots in there.  And I really guess the prudent thing is to worry about that bridge when we come to it.  But that's another reason Hayes--or someone else with this ability--is attractive to me:  the ability to slide to wing if someone proves ready to take the center slot.

 

Ok ok, let's back up. My whole train of thought was predicated upon Duchene and Laine (for Patrick) and then a 3C stopgap from free agency, which I think works fine with Frost's timeline. 

 

Honestly, Hayes at 6 years, then Patrick at 6-7 after next season does more to "block" Frost than Duchene would. Frost has to clearly outplay those two guys to sniff center. Which is what I would want anyway. If he can't do that, he's not really a 3C, now is he?

 

Overall, yes, I get the point of not wanting to overcommit to guys that may block a prospect, but on the other hand, prospects have proven absolutely zero, and when you rely on unproven prospects in your plans, you end up with Patrick, and Vorobyev, to be the right guy for the spot, but then you realize oh crap, they're not *that* yet. So the product on the ice suffers, the fans throw jerseys on the ice, and management gets trigger happy.

 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

3)  (another add on) the not giving up key assets thing.  This is at least true in the near term.  We'll see how 7 years at $9M works out later on with other contracts.

 

Hey, if we sign Duchene, I'm willing to see how it goes. I have a weird feeling that the whole conversation is moot because he wants to go elsewhere.

 

I think you're right - Duchene ain't coming here. My guess is Subban and Hayes. And possibly a 3RW in free agency.

 

Goaltending is anybody's guess. I was sure it would be Talbot, but after that presser and soooo much silence, I don't know what they'll do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Goaltending is anybody's guess. I was sure it would be Talbot, but after that presser and soooo much silence, I don't know what they'll do

I would have thought AV coming on board would have made Talbot (for better or worse) a slam dunk. But now I wonder if it threw another wrench in it or if it's completely irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I would have thought AV coming on board would have made Talbot (for better or worse) a slam dunk. But now I wonder if it threw another wrench in it or if it's completely irrelevant. 

 

Yeah, it's curious. As long as it's not Elliott.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

good read..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, brelic said:

It could very well be a swap of #2 picks. 

 

Laine for Patrick.

 

Sign Hayes, sign Duchene. 

 

Trade for Subban.

 

Damn.

 

G/Duchene/Laine

JVR/Coots/Voracek

Lindblom/Hayes/TK

Raffl/Laughton/Hartman

 

Provo/Subban

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Myers

Hagg

 

Hart

Talbot

 

SIGN. ME. UP.

 

 

I'm curious, what happens to Morin in this scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Blues big mobile top 4 showed how important defensemen can be.

 

Even more important that i thought it would be (a solid goalie helps a lot too).

 

It is why i think they should hold tight with the guys they have.

 

Provorov, Sanheim, Myers and Ghost are a very solid part of this...Morin maybe too. Hagg is a solid 3rd pair guy too.

 

Don't just give these guys away.

 

Too bad Berube couldn't get the Flyer's forwards to buzz and bang like the Blues i have to give him his credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CoachX said:

I'm curious, what happens to Morin in this scenario?

 

Good question lol. I forgot him.

 

Also, I forgot to 'subtract' a player or two in order to get Subban in the first place. So, possibly Ghost, if they want to replace Subban with a younger, cheaper version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brelic said:

 

Good question lol. I forgot him.

 

Also, I forgot to 'subtract' a player or two in order to get Subban in the first place. So, possibly Ghost, if they want to replace Subban with a younger, cheaper version?

 

My guess is no Subban trade would be considered without Ghost as a part of it. Honestly that's the one problem about it for me. I do like Subban, and I think he fits the veteran dman role better than anyone else we've mentioned around here. I'm just not sure it makes sense to trade a 26 year old offensive dman for a 30 year old offensive dman who is twice as expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, elmatus said:

 

My guess is no Subban trade would be considered without Ghost as a part of it. Honestly that's the one problem about it for me. I do like Subban, and I think he fits the veteran dman role better than anyone else we've mentioned around here. I'm just not sure it makes sense to trade a 26 year old offensive dman for a 30 year old offensive dman who is twice as expensive.

 

I know. I'm not sure it makes sense either, but the Flyers have been linked to Subban a few times, so there must be something there. 

 

After the TSN report that Hayes met with Philly and that they're not his top choice, Fletch will have to adjust his game plan if Hayes goes elsewhere. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brelic said:

So, possibly Ghost, if they want to replace Subban with a younger, cheaper version?

 

You forgot better too.

 

I just don't understand the love for Subban Ghost on a down year even out produced him at half the cost.

 

So are you going with the excuse Subban had a down year?

 

As I said it doesn't make sense the guy you want on a better team got out produced by the guy you want to trade.

 

The kid one year removed from a 65 point season...you want to trade for a guy making 9 mill per and has never scored 65 points in a season.

 

Just count me out completely.

 

I'm open for maybe moving Ghost but I need a lot more back and I don't even want PK at all.

 

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Would Gudas, 11th pick and a prospect be enough to get Subban?

 

Possibly... but if you swap out Gudas for Ghost, you could get Doughty with that package. 

 

I would much prefer that... if he's available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, brelic said:

 

Possibly... but if you swap out Gudas for Ghost, you could get Doughty with that package. 

 

I would much prefer that... if he's available.

 

You know my love for Doughty runs deep, but his most recent contract is the very definition of albatross. There's no way that turns out as anything but a huge problem for some team down the line.

 

That said, given we're in the process of throwing everything to the wall, I wonder what it would cost to get Seth Jones out of Columbus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Hell yes!

 

Were you being serious?

 

Yes I was, though I suspect the prospect would be someone Flyers fans wouldn't want to give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elmatus said:

 

You know my love for Doughty runs deep, but his most recent contract is the very definition of albatross. There's no way that turns out as anything but a huge problem for some team down the line.

 

That said, given we're in the process of throwing everything to the wall, I wonder what it would cost to get Seth Jones out of Columbus.

 

Yeah, I didn't realize his contract was that much. $11M until 2026-2027 (he'll be 38). Not sure I want that. Plus an NMC/Modified NTC for the duration.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, brelic said:

After the TSN report that Hayes met with Philly and that they're not his top choice, Fletch will have to adjust his game plan if Hayes goes elsewhere. 

 

 

 

Money talks. If the Flyers pony up, he'll sign. This is just a negotiation tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

You forgot better too.

 

I just don't understand the love for Subban Ghost on a down year even out produced him at half the cost.

 

So are you going with the excuse Subban had a down year?

 

As I said it doesn't make sense the guy you want on a better team got out produced by the guy you want to trade.

 

The kid one year removed from a 65 point season...you want to trade for a guy making 9 mill per and has never scored 65 points in a season.

 

Just count me out completely.

 

I'm open for maybe moving Ghost but I need a lot more back and I don't even want PK at all.

 

This. 

Completely and entirely this. 

 

Really well said. Sums up my position on it entirely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gudas for Niskanen. That should solve Fletch's itch for a vet dman I would think.

 

I like Niskanen, and his contract isn't too long or for too much. The only hiccup I can see is the M-NTC. I'm assuming that means he would need to be protected from Seattle, which all but guarantees we'll be losing a pretty good young blueliner imo, unless Fletch dangles someone more enticing somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      That's what I was basing the statement on.  😎
    • 3
      Post
      Can we trade MacDonald, retain half his salary, and then waive that down to the ECHL? 
    • 3
      Post
      Ahem. I'm standing right here you know.
    • 3
      Post
      You forgot better too.   I just don't understand the love for Subban Ghost on a down year even out produced him at half the cost.   So are you going with the excuse Subban had a down year?   As I said it doesn't make sense the guy you want on a better team got out produced by the guy you want to trade.   The kid one year removed from a 65 point season...you want to trade for a guy making 9 mill per and has never scored 65 points in a season.   Ju
    • 2
      Post
      Exactly. Wade Redden his ass.
    • 2
      Post
      Right. So adding 1.6 million to their cap doesn't help them at all.
×
×
  • Create New...