Jets trade Kevin Hayes to Flyers

I really think having Hayes will reap huge benefits for  Patrick with less minutes and pressure play 3rd line center.

Now in no way am I saying they are the same type of players but #2 overall Barkov had a really nice jump his 3rd year in the league we might see similar results with Patty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

We'll see, he will certainly be playing with better players in Philly with JVR and Voracek than in Winnipeg with Perreault and Rolsolvic.

It will give Patrick a chance to play on the 3rd line and work his way up the lineup in time.

I would not say Philly is better than Winnipeg.  WE know better than that.  Just ask Keith Jones

19 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would not say Philly is better than Winnipeg.  WE know better than that.  Just ask Keith Jones

Read the post again I said with the players he was playing with dude.

JVR and Voracek are waaaaay better than Perreault and Rolsolvic.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Rolsolvic at this stage.   I think he's going to be a very good player.  But that doesn't change what Hayes was playing with.  I agree, in theory it should be better for him.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Rolsolvic at this stage.   I think he's going to be a very good player.  But that doesn't change what Hayes was playing with.  I agree, in theory it should be better for him.

Yeah he is a 22 year old kid and may turn into a solid forward but he isn't there now.

Yes it should be better or they have bigger issues than just Hayes.

• Like 1

Flyers are either going to overpay for Hayes or lose him.  Don't think $6x6 is going to get it done - I think the Flyers will give him the 7th year.  Fletcher is under pressure to get a deal done.  A fifth rounder isn't a lot to lose, but there isn't anything in FA (with the possible exception of Duchene) and the optics are bad if he signs elsewhere.  I like the idea of trading for Hayes' rights, but I'm not that confident about getting a deal done on terms that make sense.  I just hope Fletcher made the trade based on some intelligence as to (a) Hayes' interest in the Flyers and (b) what $$$ he wants.

As to the player, I'm kind of mixed on Hayes.  He fills a need, but I want this team to get faster.  I also worry about conditioning and attitude a little.  AV and he butted heads in the past a little, but it sounds like they are on good terms.  The Flyers wouldn't have traded for him without AV's blessing.

I'm not concerned that they haven't signed him yet.  I can see this going right to June 23.

31 minutes ago, vis said:

He fills a need

He does fill a need for next year. And they're going to fill next year's need with a 6-7 year contract.

Rather than filling "next year's need" with a long term deal to "whoever happens to be available" I'd be more comfortable with an approach that says "this guy who happens to be available rightnow is the guy that we want for the next 6-7 years."

I just don't get that feeling as to how this organization works. And, to be fair, it may not be how the NHL works.

To me, it's a strategy that could "get you into the playoffs" but I'm not sanguine that it "wins you a Stanley Cup."

Happy, as always, to be wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vis said:

He fills a need, but I want this team to get faster.  I also worry about conditioning and attitude a little.  AV and he butted heads in the past a little, but it sounds like they are on good terms.

Yeah, there is a history there. AV didn't like him at first, didn't play him very much. And you're right: Hayes was told to get himself in shape, and he did. I'm sure AV if he wasn't directly involved in that conversation was aware of it. If I'm Fletch and I'm negotiating with Hayes over the next month I basically have one question, asked every day: where is Kevin right now and what is he doing? If the answer is not that he's pushing tractor tires up a hill with Gary Roberts, then I'm walking away from anything resembling 7 years at $6-7M.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vis said:

Don't think $6x6 is going to get it done - I think the Flyers will give him the 7th year

I don't see why not it is the bar Brock Nelson who is a 27 year old forward just sign for after a 53 point season

Hayes just had a 55 points season.

I would maybe go 6.5 mill but that's it.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't see why not it is the bar Brock Nelson who is a 27 year old forward just sign for after a 53 point season

This isn't like arbitration - this is negotiation.

It's a question of what Hayes wants at this point, more than what he deserves.

And if the Flyers want to avoid him going to UFA, what they need to give him to make that happen.

I agree 6x$6M should get it done. The only question, really, is will it?

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

This isn't like arbitration - this is negotiation.

It's a question of what Hayes wants at this point, more than what he deserves.

And if the Flyers want to avoid him going to UFA, what they need to give him to make that happen.

I agree 6x$6M should get it done. The only question, really, is will it?

Well I would draw the line in the sand at 6 years.

That way Seattle can take him off their hands after they are done with him and the remainder of his contract because Patrick should be ready.

If course that means no NMC or NTC otherwise all bets are off....oh yeah he needs to play well so Seattle will want him...

6 or thank you have a nice day...

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:08 PM, ruxpin said:

I don't want Farabee on the right.  Otherwise, I like your lineup. They'd just need to figure out the 3RW slot. 

Flip Farrabee and Lindblom. Lindblom has played both sides.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing as @OccamsRazor about Hayes' contract and Seattle.

I would leave him exposed, most likely he will have some success here, this isn't a bad team and he will make it better because he is a good, smart, large player. He would be a guy after a couple of nice years here that might be attractive to a team looking to "Vegas".

If he's motivated and in shape, i think he will be a nice player for the Flyers. He fills a bunch of needs including being an above average PK player- It is all predicated on his motivation and fitness level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Is he the the Swedish Free Agent we signed?

The super secret one, like when Buffalo drafted that kid out of Japan?

On 6/5/2019 at 11:47 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I agree with that, if he is a certainty to be on that line

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

The super secret one, like when Buffalo drafted that kid out of Japan?

More like when our dear, departed HockeyFan drafted a retired Teppo Numminen to his FHL team...

SUOMI!

🇫🇮👺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the for what it's worth heading, Elliotte Friedman discussed this trade on NHL Radio/Sirius yesterday.  His take was that Philly was not high on Hayes' list.  That didn't preclude a signing--just a belief that New York or other would be preferred.

26 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

In the for what it's worth heading, Elliotte Friedman discussed this trade on NHL Radio/Sirius yesterday.  His take was that Philly was not high on Hayes' list.  That didn't preclude a signing--just a belief that New York or other would be preferred.

As i suggested in another trade then trade Patrick for your 2nd line center....i'll let you include the name ( and no maybe not just straight up you may have to include other pieces).

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

As i suggested in another trade then trade Patrick for your 2nd line center....i'll let you include the name ( and no maybe not just straight up you may have to include other pieces).

The problem with that is that we haven't addressed the center position. It cost us one to get one... SO, Couturier, and the new guy.... then what? Laughton? Fletch still needs to go out and get another center.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

The problem with that is that we haven't addressed the center position. It cost us one to get one... SO, Couturier, and the new guy.... then what? Laughton? Fletch still needs to go out and get another center.

I guess you missed where I suggested for Karlsson for Patrick and it's not your fault I am all over the place posting in three different thread while trying workout here at the gym.

So some of it is me remember what I am responding to am who and what.

Patrick? Karlsson? RNH? Ghost in all these different threads. Confusion for myself.

So yes trade Patrick for Karlsson and whatever else and go sign a 3rd line center which will be easier to find. F**K HAYES!

I may wait till I get home to comment again so I can keep all this straight.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

One more last comment for my suggestion then I will respond when I get home.

Giroux - Coots - Koneccny

JVR - Karlsson - Voracek

Lindblom - Johansson- Connolly

Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

I haven't work out all the money and contracts yet.but it could work and you will have other options for the 3rd line if need be.

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm not fully convinced Patrick is "the answer" for 3C, either. Seems much more suited to a more offensive role as opposed to the traditional "shutting down" of the opponent (a la Couturier).

Could be a good opportunity for him to develop that aspect of his game, but if they are looking "playoffs or bust" it could be an issue.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess you missed where I suggested for Karlsson for Patrick and it's not your fault I am all over the place posting in three different thread while trying workout here at the gym.

No, this is the one I was referring to. You solve your 2C problem (Karlsson) by trading away a center (Patrick). So now you've got Couturier, Karlsson, and what? 

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So some of it is me remember what I am responding to am who and what.

Patrick? Karlsson? RNH? Ghost in all these different threads. Confusion for myself.

So yes trade Patrick for Karlsson and whatever else and go sign a 3rd line center which will be easier to find. F**K HAYES!

Ok, I get what you're saying now. You would go out and find a 3C. There's basically Brassard, Johansson, Colin Wilson, Filppula (ha!)

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

No, this is the one I was referring to. You solve your 2C problem (Karlsson) by trading away a center (Patrick). So now you've got Couturier, Karlsson, and what

Scroll back just two post I laid out my lineup.

Intentions. Not set in stone just plan B since Hayes is being a dick.