Defense: Gudas' value

CoachX

Lots of talk about defense and trades. Seems the popular thought is the Flyers need a vet presence added. Im not sure I agree. I think Hart is the guy now and they should focus on making the defense the priority to help him. With Myers and Morin in the talk, its pretty crowded. I've made it known I think Ghost should stay. So what about Gudas?

I like that he is physical, but he is reckless and I'm tired of the suspensions. Does he have value as part of a trade that might bring a better veteran back to the team? 

To be honest I dont watch the rest of the league like many of you, so Im ignorant of who that vet could be. 

Gudas was our best dman last year and Sanheim was second. Gudas toned it down and played smart hockey.  He is a veteran with this young defense it would be dumb to trade him at this point. His biggest value isnto actually stay on the team for another year or two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Lots of talk about defense and trades. Seems the popular thought is the Flyers need a vet presence added. Im not sure I agree. I think Hart is the guy now and they should focus on making the defense the priority to help him. With Myers and Morin in the talk, its pretty crowded. I've made it known I think Ghost should stay. So what about Gudas?

I like that he is physical, but he is reckless and I'm tired of the suspensions. Does he have value as part of a trade that might bring a better veteran back to the team? 

To be honest I dont watch the rest of the league like many of you, so Im ignorant of who that vet could be. 

I agree with Ron.  Myers looks ready, but he's still young. Morin, I'm note sure about. He may need another year in the minors.Gotta have a guy like Gudas around with all those youngsters. Plus, he's big and nasty. I want Carter protected to the nth degree.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He may need another year in the minors.

He won't survive waivers to get there, besides from what I saw from him when he played last season he is already better than Hagg.

He can easily start on the 3rd pair and bump Hagg to the 7th D man if he is still there.

He can do everything Hagg can do.

But Hagg can't do 6-7...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He won't survive waivers to get there, besides from what I saw from him when he played last season he is already better than Hagg.

He can easily start on the 3rd pair and bump Hagg to the 7th D man if he is still there.

He can do everything Hagg can do.

But Hagg can't do 6-7...

I didn't realize that re; waivers. Isn't he a Phantom right now? Like, can't they assign him to LV coming out of camp, assuming that was what they wanted? He's also 23, so I guess if he's not ready now he may never be eh?

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I didn't realize that re; waivers. Isn't he a Phantom right now? Like, can't they assign him to LV coming out of camp, assuming that was what they wanted? He's also 23, so I guess if he's not ready now he may never be eh?

Once a player loses waiver exemption, he can't be assigned to the minors without passing through. It doesn't matter when you want to put him there.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Once a player loses waiver exemption, he can't be assigned to the minors without passing through. It doesn't matter when you want to put him there.

Thanks. You'd think I'd know that. But if he finished the year in LV (which he did right?), isn't that where he is assigned? So he's there until he is called up to the big club, which would include him making the opening night roster

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

What AJ said.

He's ready.

Now not saying put him on the top pair just yet or anything but he skates well and has shown sound positioning to from what I had seen.

Can easily play the 3rd pair to start the season.

In fact this is what I would roll with...

Provorov - Myers

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Ghost 

Hagg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Thanks. You'd think I'd know that. But if he finished the year in LV (which he did right?), isn't that where he is assigned? So he's there until he is called up to the big club, which would include him making the opening night roster

No he played the last 5 games of the season with the Flyers.

I like our group of dmen, but i really believe we are trading for a vet. I dont see Meyers, Sanheim or Provo going in a trade. Gudas will be kept for reasons we just discussed.  So that leaves Morin , Haag and Ghost.  Morin and Haag wont get us a top notch veteran defenseman , at best a second rounder for either of them.  So our most marketable commodity for making a deal will be Ghost or the # 11. I truly believe if the right deal is there Ghost is going.. I could see a Trouba for Ghost trade. Leaving Haag and Morin battling for the last spot, the  loser is the #7 dman.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I like our group of dmen, but i really believe we are trading for a vet. I dont see Meyers, Sanheim or Provo going in a trade. Gudas will be kept for reasons we just discussed.  So that leaves Morin , Haag and Ghost.  Morin and Haag wont get us a top notch veteran defenseman , at best a second rounder for either of them.  So our most marketable commodity for making a deal will be Ghost or the # 11. I truly believe if the right deal is there Ghost is going.. I could see a Trouba for Ghost trade. Leaving Haag and Morin battling for the last spot, the  loser is the #7 dman.

I really don't want to trade Ghost right now.

But there have been rumors the Flames want some cap relief and are looking to move TJ Brodie and I would certainly inquire about that.

Offer them Hagg for him unless they would rather have draft picks since they have some kids they want to play more and trade Hagg somewhere else.

Brodie is a solid D man and he help Giordano have the best year of his career this past season maybe he could help Ivan.

He plays the right side too. 

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

So he's there until he is called up to the big club, which would include him making the opening night roster

All players begin training camp assigned to the NHL club.  Waiver exempt players can be sen down anytime.  Players that are not exempt need to pass through waivers to be assigned to the AHL or other league.

8 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

All players begin training camp assigned to the NHL club.  Waiver exempt players can be sen down anytime.  Players that are not exempt need to pass through waivers to be assigned to the AHL or other league.

Thank you fine sir. 

32 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Thank you fine sir. 

It's why they try to wait as close as they can till the season starts, so most of the teams have their roster set and if they claim a player he must stay on the active roster for 30 days before he is subject to waivers again for the team that claimed him if they want to send the player down to the AHL.

18 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Love it, but it's a young D corps

It is. I like it too. Hence the question of Gudas being the vet you want. He is physical and plays well, but the suspension factor is always there

Edited by CoachX

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think they could trade Hagg and go find a vet in the Anton Stralman type of category maybe.

If they trade Hagg for a vet, who becomes the 7th ?

I have to be honest. I know Fletch has said publically he's looking for a vet dman. I honestly hope he doesn't just pick up whomever just because they happen to have been in the league for 10 years or something. We don't need another Macdonald. If he's going to bring in a vet, it needs to be someone who can actively contribute in a fundamental way. If it's not someone at least challenging for a spot on the top pairing, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Looking at the current crop of dman UFAs, there's aren't many options who fit the bill imo... maybe Edler? Myers I guess? Edler used to be good. I'd be fine with giving him a shot on a reasonable contract. I don't think Myers is any better than what we have already in spades -- quite possibly worse.

Edited by elmatus

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

If they trade Hagg for a vet, who becomes the 7th ?

I hope it could eventually be Gudas because of Morin youth he plays well and takes his spot.

This upcoming year is the last one Gudas is under contract for.

Then if this comes to fruition Gudas might be a good piece to move before the trade deadline...or he could be kept for the hopeful playoff run. 

22 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Gudas has quietly been one of the best defensemen on the team since his arrival

plus he rocks the wardrobe and has a bad ass nickname- need a guy like that around to set a standard.

I mean they call the guy "the butcher" ...

Edited by mojo1917