2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview

46 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

After reading this article, I'd almost go after one of these guys. Based on your descriptions, most of them seemed to have less gaping holes in their games than the forwards that may be available at 12...

I would agree.  The risk factor seems lower from this blue line group than the forward group. 

2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Goaltenders

Only 1 goaltender is probably a sure-fire 1st round pick, maybe 2.  But here is the rundown of my thoughts on goaltenders that are available in this draft.  Check it out.  Russo has hinted more than once the team may be taking a long look at Spencer Knight.  

• Like 1

Goaltending is such a current critical development void in the Wild organization.   I fear that with Fenton's "old school" philosophy, he could overlook the, IMO,  critical component in drafting a netminder....the psychological profile.    

5 hours ago, 4Check said:

Goaltending is such a current critical development void in the Wild organization.   I fear that with Fenton's "old school" philosophy, he could overlook the, IMO,  critical component in drafting a netminder....the psychological profile.    

I am still not a fan of drafting a goalie in the 1st round.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I am still not a fan of drafting a goalie in the 1st round.  

Totally agree!  Love the idea in the 2nd or 3rd, especially this year. Like 2 guys on your list,   Sogaard and Jones

38 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I have one more article ready to go.  Its about players that will be available beyond the 1st round.  Knight looks like he might be worth taking at 12, but I still am hesitant to take a goalie in the 1st round.  

I look forward to these articles.

Right now, I'd probably lean towards Spencer Knight first, then Seider or Harley and then maybe Krebs.

I get that goaltenders are big question marks in the first round (Rick DiPietro), but they could end up with a Carey Price, too. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Based on your descriptions, the forwards that probably are going to be available I'm the least in love with, except for Krebs. They seem to have the most question marks. That's why I'd prefer to see them draft either Knight or one of those defensemen (Seider or Harley). But that's just me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I look forward to these articles.

Right now, I'd probably lean towards Spencer Knight first, then Seider or Harley and then maybe Krebs.

I get that goaltenders are big question marks in the first round (Rick DiPietro), but they could end up with a Carey Price, too. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Based on your descriptions, the forwards that probably are going to be available I'm the least in love with, except for Krebs. They seem to have the most question marks. That's why I'd prefer to see them draft either Knight or one of those defensemen (Seider or Harley). But that's just me.

Here is my list of the players I assessed so far (all 18) if you're looking at what my draft board would be if I was the Wild's GM.  

1. C, Peyton Krebs

2. LD, Thomas Harley

3. RD, Moritz Seider

4. G, Spencer Knight

5. RW, Raphael Lavoie

6. LD, Ville Heinola

7. RW, Cole Caufield

8. LD, Matt Robertson

9. G, Mads Sogaard

10. C, Alex Newhook

11. RW, Arthur Kaliyev

12. RD, Lassi Thomson

13. RW, Bobby Brink

14. LD, Ryan Johnson

15. G, Pyotr Kochetkov

16. G Hunter Jones

17. G, Dustin Wolf

18. G, Isaiah Saville

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Here is my list of the players I assessed so far (all 18) if you're looking at what my draft board would be if I was the Wild's GM.  

1. C, Peyton Krebs

2. LD, Thomas Harley

3. RD, Moritz Seider

4. G, Spencer Knight

5. RW, Raphael Lavoie

6. LD, Ville Heinola

7. RW, Cole Caufield

8. LD, Matt Robertson

9. G, Mads Sogaard

10. C, Alex Newhook

11. RW, Arthur Kaliyev

12. RD, Lassi Thomson

13. RW, Bobby Brink

14. LD, Ryan Johnson

15. G, Pyotr Kochetkov

16. G Hunter Jones

17. G, Dustin Wolf

18. G, Isaiah Saville

Fenton will pick some kid no one has ever heard of and the act like he just drafted the second coming of Wayne Gretzky...🤡

10 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Fenton will pick some kid no one has ever heard of and the act like he just drafted the second coming of Wayne Gretzky...🤡

I thought about saying, so these 18 players have no chance to be drafted by the Minnesota Wild.  I am sure our guy with 2 years of experience will pick someone we could've had in the 6th round with our 1st pick.  

They should just make a decision. Either pay for the scouting and analytics and do your own drafting, or just make the picks according to Bob McKenzie's list. It's pretty much a crapshoot anyways. Of course they will not have the gall to do the latter. They'll just keep on pretending they have decent scouting and decide to make a bold pick along the lines of no-name, no-future Johansson - just to make it appear like the scouting organisation is efficient enough for its tasks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

They should just make a decision. Either pay for the scouting and analytics and do your own drafting, or just make the picks according to Bob McKenzie's list. It's pretty much a crapshoot anyways. Of course they will not have the gall to do the latter. They'll just keep on pretending they have decent scouting and decide to make a bold pick along the lines of no-name, no-future Johansson - just to make it appear like the scouting organisation is efficient enough for its tasks.

I don't think this is as much about $$$ as it is about egos.  I think Fenton feels analytics is less than his own intuition and experience.  We'll see if those positions get replaced.  Despite all the talk about how great those two were that we lost, I've yet to hear they have jobs elsewhere.  

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think this is as much about $$$ as it is about egos.  I think Fenton feels analytics is less than his own intuition and experience.  We'll see if those positions get replaced.  Despite all the talk about how great those two were that we lost, I've yet to hear they have jobs elsewhere.  

Sounds like Andrew C. Thomas is just taking some time off to enjoy himself. Looks like he is still under contract to the Wild until July 1. I'm sure there will be plenty of teams lining up to sign him on July 1...

Alexandra Mandrycky was offered a new contract, but turned it down. Her husband was completing his PhD in biomedical engineering and rather than limit where he could find work, she chose to decline the contract offer and wait to see where her husband lands a post-doctorate position...

According to Russo, Fenton relied less and less on the analytics department  to make hockey decisions...

• Like 1

agree  I wouldn't take Knight at 12 and if we really feel like we need a goalie/want Knight  and don't think he'll be available 42 then maybe try and move up to the early 2nd round or late first and grab him.

Edited by bbgarnett

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Sounds like Andrew C. Thomas is just taking some time off to enjoy himself. Looks like he is still under contract to the Wild until July 1. I'm sure there will be plenty of teams lining up to sign him on July 1...

Alexandra Mandrycky was offered a new contract, but turned it down. Her husband was completing his PhD in biomedical engineering and rather than limit where he could find work, she chose to decline the contract offer and wait to see where her husband lands a post-doctorate position...

According to Russo, Fenton relied less and less on the analytics department  to make hockey decisions...

We could certainly tell that was the case.  And of course being as smart as he is, he didn't need it...sorry, I couldn't say that without :lol:  

LIG , What do you think about 2 Minnesotans : according to NHL Central scouting ranking #17 forward  Bobby Brink and #36 a high-scoring defenseman Jackson LaCombe? It seems they  could be a pretty promising prospects for us if available.  

Raphael Lavoie would be my choice big scoring  right shooting winger

montreal is licking their chops at home grown talent and could make a play to move up from 15 to snag him maybe a extra pick we could get some added pieces

4 hours ago, wildstars95 said:

montreal is licking their chops at home grown talent and could make a play to move up from 15 to snag him maybe a extra pick we could get some added pieces

This is Fenton we’re talking about here. He’d trade the 12th and the fourth he acquired from BOS to move down to 15 and say “It was a hockey deal!”

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, Alexandron said:

LIG , What do you think about 2 Minnesotans : according to NHL Central scouting ranking #17 forward  Bobby Brink and #36 a high-scoring defenseman Jackson LaCombe? It seems they  could be a pretty promising prospects for us if available.  

I talked about Brink in my forwards article.  The knock on him is his skating style, even though most concede he still moves well enough.  Beyond that, he's very intelligent and is the type of player that can change the angle and sort of freeze defenses and open up passing or shooting lanes.  Lacombe gets high marks for his skating, but the question is hockey sense...does he process fast enough or correctly to make the read defensively or make the right play with the puck?  Both will probably be taken in the 2nd round today.  

On 6/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, wildstars95 said:

Driving back home today, I heard on XM that they too were surprised Lavoie slid beyond the 1st round.  But one of the things they discussed was his inconsistency and some questions about his maturity level.  Some felt his answers during combine interviews lacked depth and thought.  Although they did give him credit for raising his level as injuries started to effect the Mooseheads, and he has a terrific shot and when he's motivated he can dominate.  He'll probably be gone early in the 2nd, even before #42 when we make our selection.