2019 HF.net NHL Mock Draft and Discussion

hf101

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'm just checking:    Are the Sabres still picking #30 and the Bruins #31, or are we flipping them?

The Sabres have the 31st pick.  I just haven't had time to make the switch yet.

8 hours ago, AJgoal said:

While Nashville could certainly use some defensive prospects in order to prepare for the eventual decline of their top-4, I found it hard to pass on the value of Newhook at this position. Nashville still has question marks behind Johansen at centre, so picking Newhook gives them a potential 2C, or a very potent top 3 centre roster if the rumors of Duchene ending up there come true.

Yeah, you got to go Newhook here.  It's stunning that he's still on the board at #24.   The Predators would be giddy.   He could legitimately be ready by the time Bonino's contract is up.   Really nice pick.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

The Sabres have the 31st pick.  I just haven't had time to make the switch yet.

Cool.  Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I didn't want to assume on way or the other and either jump Doc's pick or leave everyone waiting for a Sabre for the 31st pick.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And with the 23rd pick in the 2019 NHL draft the New York Islanders select from the QMJHL's Halifax Mooseheads Center Raphael Lavoie.

You know, I've seen mock drafts with him going a lot sooner, but this range makes more sense to me.  Just from things I've read, I'm a little leary of him, but I think a solid pick at 23.

Edited by ruxpin

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know, I've seen mock drafts with him going a lot sooner, but this range makes more sense to me.  Just from things I've read, I'm a little leary of him, but I think a solid pick at 23.

Yeah i have seen him inside the top ten and all the way back to where i took him.

I even seen one pushing him out the first round.

I felt 23 was a good spot...a defenseman is what i was thinking about didn't like any here.

• Like 1

With the 26th Overall pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, the Calgary Flames are proud to select from the Medicine Hat Tigers of the Western Hockey League, goaltneder Mads Sogaard!  

Sogaard gives the Flames a viable starting goaltender prospect, who combines excellent athleticism with great size.  We feel very fortunate and confident that Sogaard will be our anchor in the crease and hopefully a pivotal piece as we work for a 2nd Stanley Cup!   

• Like 1

With the 27th pick of the 2019 NHL Draft the Tampa Bay Lightning are proud to select from the QMJHL Samuel Poulin.  

At 6-foot-2 and 206 pounds, Poulin is already  of pro size and could be the power forward the Lightning have been looking for. 

Poulin is an underrated playmaker with quick hands, boasts a NHL-calibre shot which can do a lot of damage off of the rush. Poulin can beat goalies with his forehand or backhand, and his one-timer is deadly.  His success is largely built on his extremely high hockey IQ and vision. He has impressive finesse for a player of his stature, and can find his teammates with passes in tight areas.  Poulin has good hockey IQ, anticipating the movements of his teammates and getting them the puck in good spaces. He cycles well and is particularly effective on the give-and-go type plays. 

Defensively, he is very strong on his skates and wins a lot of puck battles along the boards using his body to protect the puck. His long stick allows him to create turnovers and intercept passes while keeping his opponents to the outside.  Poulin is willing to help his defence with an effective backcheck.  He reads the play well and seems to be in the right place to cut down offensive opportunities. Poulin is not afraid to bring his physical and gritty game to his own end, helping the defence down low and in front of the net.

Sam is the son of the former NHLer Patrick Poulin and was selected second overall in the 2017 QMJHL draft by the Sherbrooke Phoenix. Poulin led the Phoenix to an unexpected playoff berth and a first-round 4-1 series victory over the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. The 2018-19 season ended for Poulin and his teammates on April 12 when they were defeated by the powerhouse Drummondville Voltigeurs in a five-game series 4-1. He finished with a team-leading eight goals and six assists in 10 playoff games. Samuel Poulin put up 16 goals and 45 points in 55 games as QMJHL rookie last year. This season he was given more responsibility as an alternate captain with the Sherbrooke Phoenix. He put up 29 goals and 47 assists for 76 points in 67 games.  Poulin has also represented Team Canada in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, the IIHF Under-18 World Championship and the Gold Hlinka-Gretzky winning team.

Poulin would be a top ten pick if his skating was as good as the rest of his game.  While his overall skating is good he still needs to work on his first-step speed and acceleration, but once he gets moving, he will be incredibly difficult to stop.

Next up is @yave1964 with the pick of the Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes take Jakob Pelletier with their first round pick, a solid two way forward with a nice shot, a great motor who can play up and down the lines at either center or wing.A little guy who if he were six foot instead of five nine would have been top 15 or so. Great value pick at 28.

@Hale you and the Ducks are on the clock

With the 29th pick in the 2019 entry draft the Anaheim Ducks are proud to select from the Sioux Falls Stampede, defensemen Ryan Johnson.

Ryan Johnson (Sioux Falls Stampede)

Position: Defenseman

Shoots: Left

Height / Weight: 6’0, 183 lbs

Born: July 24th, 2001 | Irvine , California

Nation: USA

The NHL is built on speed and hockey IQ these days and from what I was able to watch, Ryan can definitely giddy up the ice. I also liked the fact that he was a local boy and former Anaheim Jr Duck from California. That logic didn’t work out with Emerson Etem but maybe it will here. But my 1B was Lassi Thomson. Oh my I wanted to draft him. A lot more video on him because of his sweet knee high shots from the point. But Johnson skates like the wind, possess’ a very effective stick check and is projected to have a high ceiling to his career. Johnson is committed to Minnesota next year.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-johnson-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

NHL Potential

If everything goes right for Johnson, many feel he can be an eventual top-pairing defenseman. If his offensive game doesn’t hit its ceiling, his work in the defensive end of the ice is good enough to keep in the NHL as a second or third-pairing blueliner for a long time.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 2.5/5 | Reward – 4/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense – 7/10 | Defense – 8/10

Pick #30 is next for @pilldoc and the Boston Bruins.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hale said:

With the 29th pick in the 2019 entry draft the Anaheim Ducks are proud to select from the Sioux Falls Stampede, defensemen Ryan Johnson.

Ryan Johnson (Sioux Falls Stampede)

Position: Defenseman

Shoots: Left

Height / Weight: 6’0, 183 lbs

Born: July 24th, 2001 | Irvine , California

Nation: USA

The NHL is built on speed and hockey IQ these days and from what I was able to watch, Ryan can definitely giddy up the ice. I also liked the fact that he was a local boy and former Anaheim Jr Duck from California. That logic didn’t work out with Emerson Etem but maybe it will here. But my 1B was Lassi Thomson. Oh my I wanted to draft him. A lot more video on him because of his sweet knee high shots from the point. But Johnson skates like the wind, possess’ a very effective stick check and is projected to have a high ceiling to his career. Johnson is committed to Minnesota next year.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-johnson-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

NHL Potential

If everything goes right for Johnson, many feel he can be an eventual top-pairing defenseman. If his offensive game doesn’t hit its ceiling, his work in the defensive end of the ice is good enough to keep in the NHL as a second or third-pairing blueliner for a long time.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 2.5/5 | Reward – 4/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense – 7/10 | Defense – 8/10

Pick #30 is next for @pilldoc and the Boston Bruins.

OMG, I hate you.   LOL

Most mock drafts I've seen have him going to the Flyers at #41 but I think this is an excellent pick here.

As the First Round of the 2019 NHL Draft is drawing to a close, League Commissioner Gary Bettman, is glad the heckling he has received all night is about to come to an end.  A shaken Bettman steps up to the podium once again making the announcement ….”The Boston Bruins are now on the clock.”

Right on cue, Bruins GM Don Sweeney makes his way to the stage.

“From the heart of Beantown, the Boston organization would like to thank Vancouver for hosting this year’s NHL Entry Level Draft.  We would also like to congratulate the city of St. Louis for an entertaining Stanley Cup Final and their Blues winning the Stanley Cup.  With the 31st pick in this year’s draft, the Boston Bruins select from the USHL Muskegon Lumberjacks, Winger / Center…… (Y)Egor Afanasyev.”

Certainly a position of need for the Bruins, Afanasyev uses his size well, as he is known as a typical power forward who likes to drive to the net and get to the dirty areas to score.  As previously mentioned, Afanasyev is a big, strong power forward. He currently stands at 6’4” 201 pounds and just completed his second seasons in the USHL with the Muskegon Lumberjacks.  He had a strong season in the USHL recording 62 points in 58 games and just recently had a strong showing at the NHL Draft Combine.

Afanasyev plays a power game where he likes to gets in front of the net, creating havoc, pouncing on rebounds, getting tip-ins, and making himself available to take a pass and fire a quick shot on the net. He can also score goals from further out and has an excellent arsenal of shots. His snapshot and wrist shot are both powerful, accurate and feature quick releases. He also has a very good slap shot and one-timer.

Afanasyev can also play the role of playmaker. He protects the puck extremely well down low. Afanasyev uses his big body to hold off defenders and combines this with a long stick and effective stickhandling. This extends plays and allows teammates the opportunity to get open. He has good vision and the smarts to make passes to open teammates as they go to the net.

The most prominent part of Egor Afanasyev’s skillset is his very impressive handwork. There’s almost a sense that his sole goal is to embarrass opposing defenders. While making a player fall to the group simply from a deke is a rare occurrence, Afanasyev finds a way to make it happen multiple times a game. Like most of his strengths, Afanasyev’s great handwork is compounded when his size is taken into account.

As far as skating goes, he is a good skater for his size. While not a speedster, he more than keeps up with the play with good top-end speed. He could work on his first few steps, but his acceleration is pretty good. Playing a power game, Afanasyev can fight through checks and get to the front of the net. He is strong on the puck and protects it well. He also does well in winning battles along the boards.

One scout had this to say ….

“He’s become the headman of almost every offensive rush he’s involved in, as his great skating helps him split the defence and create great opportunities. For such a big player, Afanasyev’s skating is extremely smooth. This is incredibly unique, as most players of his size struggle considerably with their skating at Afanasyev’s age, making his great skating much more notable.”

"He has that body (6-foot-3, 204 pounds) and core that would make you think he's just a power forward, but he has that small player skill too," David Gregory of NHL Central Scouting said. "He can go over you, dangle you and make you look silly and has really good hockey sense."

Said Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting: "Everything about Egor says NHL. His size, speed, smarts and the way he competes, battles and produces."

He would be higher ranked if not for his defense. Afanasyev needs some work on improving his defensive game. He works hard to get back in the zone and be involved with back support but has a tendency to get caught out of position. He can sometimes watch the puck a bit too much and stop moving his feet, which will allow his point man to get open. Afanasyev doesn’t get involved down low very often, preferring to stay up top and try to prevent the point man from getting the puck. This is an area that can be improved with commitment from Afanasyev and some good coaching.

If he develops properly he could be a second liner at even strength, with the ability to play an important role in front of the net on the power play. Afanasyev also has the size and skill to develop into a legit first-line centre.  Afanasyev’s game is similar to James van Riemsdyk. However, this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

Afanasyev combines the package of playmaker and sniper with a dash of speed.

Of interesting note:

Contrary to many of his USHL peers, Afanasyev’s won’t be joining the ranks of the NCAA next season. He de-committed from Michigan State University this winter and will probably join the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires next season, as the team owns his rights. As he is a European Import, albeit one who came early to North America to advance his hockey career, he could play in the AHL next season.

Image result for egor afanasyev scouting report

@ruxpin you and the Buffalo Sabres are now on the clock with the last pick of the 1st Round. :) 

Edited by pilldoc

Okay, so this came down to a toss-up for me between two players.  I didn't want to go defense because the Sabres already took Broberg at #7.   So, I was looking forward and there were two players that arguably should go 15-25.

Bobby Brink and Ryan Suzuki.   Ultimately...

With the 31st overall pick and last pick of the first round, and only because Ryan Miller vetoed a trade with Anaheim, the Buffalo Sabres pick, from London, Ontrario and the Barrie Knights of the OHL, Ryan Suzuki

A dynamic offensive weapon with eyes in the back of his head and a top performer for both Barrie and Team Canada, Suzuki is the OHL’s top prospect for the 2019 NHL Draft. Blessed with blinding speed and acute hockey sense, the younger brother of 2017 first rounder Nick Suzuki is a bit more flashier and excitable with the puck, especially in open ice. He’s more of a playmaker than a shooter, but Ryan owns an excellent wrist shot and can score off his backhand. Still, he seems more comfortable and confident dictating play with the puck on his stick and treating every teammate as a scoring-chance possibility. Suzuki a season ago was one of the OHL’s top rookies, but he enters his draft year as one of the circuit’s best overall players and a candidate to challenge for the scoring crown.

Suzuki has excellent vision and will connect with a linemate from just about anywhere, regardless of how dense the network of skates, bodies and sticks are clogging a passing lane. He has a soft touch and feathers passes with regularity, but he also can whip the puck around with both accuracy and authority. Although Suzuki is an excellent stickhandler with elusiveness and agility to avoid contact, the puck doesn’t spend a lot of time on his stick at even strength. He’s usually on the periphery during puck battles and the corners, and you will rarely see him engage in physical play. Nonetheless, Suzuki is an effective penalty killer and aggressive forechecker whose positioning, quick stick and awareness forces turnovers in the opposing end. He is capable of turning seemingly harmless plays into quality scoring chances.

018-19 Team: Barrie Colts (#61)
Date of Birth: May 28, 2001
Place of Birth: London, Ontario
Ht: 6’0” Wt: 172 lbs.
Position: C
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2019 first-year eligible

He’s taller and slightly more shifty than his older brother, which should land Ryan Suzuki in the first round of the 2019 NHL Draft. At six feet, he’s agile and sees the ice like few others in the OHL who aren't six feet.

While he doesn’t play an overly bodacious physical game, he makes up for it with his skill on the offensive side of the puck. After scoring 44 points in 64 games during his rookie season for the Barrie Colts, he followed that up with 75 points in 65 games this season – his draft year.

He has soft hands and incredible vision, so he's good with the ladies and can see their response, and while he shouldn’t be considered a speedster by any means, Suzuki skates well and makes up for the difference in speed with his ability to get around defenders. He’s a playmaker by trade, but that doesn’t take away from what he can do when he shoots the puck as well.

He hasn’t reached his ceiling yet, but he’s not far off, a step stool ought to do the trick . With his pass-first mentality, a little more work could make him one more exciting playmakers to debut in the NHL in the coming years. He’ll likely have another year in the OHL before he even gets a sniff of the NHL, but when he does, watch out for him to sniff with the best of them on the offensive side of the puck.

Quotables

“Blessed with blinding speed and acute hockey sense, the younger brother of 2017 first-rounder Nick Suzuki is a bit flashier and excitable with the puck, especially in open ice. He’s more of a play-maker than a shooter, but Ryan owns an excellent wrist shot and can do shooters off his backhand. Still, he seems more comfortable and confident dictating play with the puck on his stick and treating every teammate as a scoring-chance possibility. Suzuki a season ago was one of the OHL’s top rookies, but he enters his draft year as not a rookie because you can only be a rookie once and one of the circuit’s best overall players and a candidate to challenge for the scoring crown.” – Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst

“Ryan’s play-making abilities border on elite. Like right next door to elite if elite moved to a different neighborhood.  In a galaxy far far away.  He sees the ice extremely well, and sees things developing before they actually do. It's really neat when they actually developed the way he sees things and not as they usually do.  And he can deliver a tape-to-tape pass or lead a teammate with a pass even when they're skating backwards. The fact that 29 of his assists were on goals scored by another player and are primary assists speaks to the fact that he can deliver the disc for a scoring threat and that his teammates can score. As much as Ryan is an offensive threat on the power play, he has shown that he can be a threat when down on a man as well (nttawwt), although the numbers don’t reflect that--because I just made it up. He thinks the game so well and has excellent anticipation that he can steal the puck defending and go on the attack in a flash, which means really really fast. He thinks and he's fast. Defensively he understands the game and works hard at it. You won’t find many coming back on the back check harder than he does.” – Dominic Tiano/OHL Writers

Strengths

• Vision
  • Hockey IQ
  • Passing
  • Skating ability

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Consistency
  • Defensive zone coverage

NHL Potential

Top six forward? It certainly isn’t out of the question for the younger Suzuki brother who has the vision and offensive prowess to step into that type of role at the NHL level. While some consider his skill among the elite in junior hockey, it’ll be up to him to adapt when he does get the call to the show if he wants to land a top-six or even top-line role.

Ultimately, Brink's size scared me off.  I mean, the Sabres did well with Danny Briere, who was 5'1" on a box..a really big box...and it's a different game now, but Suzuki, I think, is the stronger pick.

Edited by ruxpin

• 2 weeks later...

All in all I feel pretty good about my selections.  

The Wild did end up taking a forward.  They could've had Peyton Krebs...they took Matthew Boldy instead.  

As for the Ottawa Senators, I took right shot blueliner Moritz Seider here and he was off the board far earlier than anyone expected but the Senators still took another right shot defenseman in Lassi Thomson so that seemed to be a decent pick to me.  

The Flames didn't take a goaltender (Mads Sogaard) with their pick and instead opted for a smallish scoring winger in Pelletier.  Tad bit surprised maybe they felt uncomfortable drafting a goalie in the 1st round, albeit late in the 1st round.