Phil Myers

CoachX

An article out of Philly highlighted Myers role at the Worlds. I guess he was getting 14 minutes a game by the end. He also got to know the coach a bit. All indicators of a positve future. 

I dont know much about him, and the story said he was undrafted. Did the Flyers luck out and find a gem?

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

An article out of Philly highlighted Myers role at the Worlds. I guess he was getting 14 minutes a game by the end. He also got to know the coach a bit. All indicators of a positve future. 

I dont know much about him, and the story said he was undrafted. Did the Flyers luck out and find a gem?

Yes. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

45 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes. 

Yes.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Myers seems to be one of Hextall's best bits of GM work. 6'4 (I think), RH shot defenseman. Mobile, with a bit of physicality to him. Signed him when he went undrafted, and the kid exploded the next year in juniors. Did well at WJCs, too, if I'm not mistaken. Looked good with the Phantoms, and in his cup of coffee with the Flyers towards the end of last season. There were times when he and Ghost were playing together and there was no place on the blueline the other team could go to for a clear.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

An article out of Philly highlighted Myers role at the Worlds. I guess he was getting 14 minutes a game by the end. He also got to know the coach a bit. All indicators of a positive future. 

I don't know much about him, and the story said he was undrafted. Did the Flyers luck out and find a gem?

Yes the Flyers lucked out and found this kid. And he still has room to grow.

All he needs to do is find a solid partner and then give him his minutes. But he has some impressive tools in the shed to work with.

Flyers actually have two kids who i think have the skills to eventually emulate two of the Blues two best D men.

I think Sanheim has the chance to be the Flyer's Alex Pietrangelo.

And i think Myers has the chance to be their Colton Parayko on the blueline.

Will they i'm not sure let's watch the play and grow. It took AP 10 years to get to this point. 

And Parayko only about 4 years but it was after playing college hockey and starting around 23.

Point is they were key pieces and through all the falling short Armstrong knew finding D men with their size and capabilities  aren't easy to find so you don't give them away.

And i think having a vet like J Bo like him or not helped these kids grow to their potential.

So now the Flyers need to continue to stay the course get them some coaching, put the pieces around them to succeed and just go from there. Will it work and bring them a Cup not sure.

But one thing i do they they have that can help i think they have their Binnington in Carter Hart.

And man did Binnington have his guys back when the chips were down.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

37 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Good points. I would say the same points apply to Ghost. However, that has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads

Shattenkirk was the Blues equivalent to Ghost, but he's been gone for awhile.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not bad comparisons. At all. We should be that lucky. Both were beasts. I thought AP shoulda got the Conn Smythe TBH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Not bad comparisons. At all. We should be that lucky. Both were beasts. I thought AP shoulda got the Conn Smythe TBH

They i feel have that upside.

Provorov/Niskanen

Sanheim/Myers

On paper that is a fordiable top 4 along with Hart in goal this coaching staff has some nice talent to work with.

Now certainly the game isn't played on paper but you have to start somewhere.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know that this is about the comparisons of Sanheim and Meyers, but if those two end up similar to Pietrangelo and Parayko, that's a home run. Add in that Provorov could be the second coming of Ryan Suter and that's a grand slam. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Myers seems to be one of Hextall's best bits of GM work. 6'4 (I think), RH shot defenseman. Mobile, with a bit of physicality to him. Signed him when he went undrafted, and the kid exploded the next year in juniors. Did well at WJCs, too, if I'm not mistaken. Looked good with the Phantoms, and in his cup of coffee with the Flyers towards the end of last season. There were times when he and Ghost were playing together and there was no place on the blueline the other team could go to for a clear.

If Zamula adds weight, he'll be right up there with Meyers in terms of Hextall's best finds via the undrafted free agent route.

• Like 1