Trade: Gudas traded for Niskanen

2 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Flyers retain 30% of Gudas' salary.  Niskanen has a $5.75 million cap hit for the next 2 years

All good stuff. The M-NTC with Seattle expac is the only part that bothers me some.

By trading  a steady veteran like Gudas,one of our two right handed defenseman, this tells me that  Meyers takes Gudas spot on the third pair and we are most definitely trading for a  top veteran defenseman to pair with Provorov . It’s gotta be another righty, Trouba?

Ok so this is the vet they have sought???

32 years old. 125 games of playoff experience. 

On the books for 5.75 mill for this season and next.

Wonder how Scott Laughton feels about this???

6-1 205 right hand shot.

Still interesting move didn't see this coming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

By trading  a steady veteran like Gudas,one of our two right handed defenseman, this tells me that  Meyers takes Gudas spot on the third pair and we are most definitely trading for a  top veteran defenseman to pair with Provorov . It’s gotta be another righty, Trouba?

Niskanen is a right hand shot too.

Wait... *we* retained salary? Why?? We took 1 year and $2M off their cap hit.

Always like Niskanen. Always liked Gudas too. Honestly a much smarter upgrade to the top pairing than spending Ghost/11thOA + for someone like Subban. I guess this means we're done with the upper part of our defense. No Trouba, no Subban. 

Maybe buyout MacDud?

Provorov/Niskanen

Ghost/Sanheim 

Hagg/Myers

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Niskanen is a right hand shot too.

Oh ok, for some reason I’m thinking Niskanen is a winger..I wonder what the thinking is behind this trade.Gudas is a perfect third pair guy, one of our few hitters and a guy who protects his teammates. We have defensemen who provide offense how is Niskanens defensive and hitting  game compared with Gudas ?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Yeah i don't get this part.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Maybe buyout MacDud?

I still don't do this i just waive him to the minors.

Well hey now we have something new to bitch about and create 3-5 new threads about the same thing.

🤣

19 minutes ago, elmatus said:

All good stuff. The M-NTC with Seattle expac is the only part that bothers me some.

Seattle isn’t likely to happen until 2021. 

I think Niskanen’s UFA by then. Should be oaky. 

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Oh ok, for some reason I’m thinking Niskanen is a winger..I wonder what the thinking is behind this trade.Gudas is a perfect third pair guy, one of our few hitters and a guy who protects his teammates. We have defensemen who provide offense how is Niskanens defensive and hitting  game compared with Gudas ?

Ok now i am officially worried about Fletcher...

...once again helping out a team this time a metro teams and inside of getting something back like picks or whatever....you pick up the salary on a good player you are sending back to the Caps...WTF???

Seriously you help another team out with their cap a rival and YOU pick more salary on your cap and then pickup some going back this is the crazy **** i have seen....oh deal lawd help me.

#worriedasfuknow

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Always like Niskanen. Always liked Gudas too. Honestly a much smarter upgrade to the top pairing than spending Ghost/11thOA + for someone like Subban. I guess this means we're done with the upper part of our defense. No Trouba, no Subban. 

Maybe buyout MacDud?

Provorov/Niskanen

Ghost/Sanheim 

Hagg/Myers

Does this move really give us what management said they were looking for? We traded a vet for a vet. I thought they wanted an additional vet with leadership skills to help the young guys. Meyers and Haag on the third pair could be a liability. The Ghost and Sanheim pair is not balanced it’s all offense. I still think they add another defenseman all they did was a lateral move.

(shrugs)  Wild fans were surprised it wasn't a trade involving Buffalo since that was Chuck's favorite trade partner when he was with the Wild.  

Niskanen is a reasonable player.  I'd like him better than Gudas, even though Gudas is more of a hitter.  Perhaps he feels the Flyers need a bit more veteran influence on its blueline.  

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Does this move really give us what management said they were looking for? We traded a vet for a vet. I thought they wanted an additional vet with leadership skills to help the young guys. Meyers and Haag on the third pair could be a liability. The Ghost and Sanheim pair is not balanced it’s all offense. I still think they add another defenseman all they did was a lateral move.

A lateral move and eating salary.  I'm confused!!!

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It does, I'd say... though it's a modest upgrade *if* Niskanen bounces back (from what I've read). 

It's an unsexy move that should help but probably won't move the needle very much.

I truly do not understand helping out the Caps even more by retaining 30% of Gudas' salary.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

It does, I'd say... though it's a modest upgrade *if* Niskanen bounces back (from what I've read). 

It's an unsexy move that should help but probably won't move the needle very much.

I truly do not understand helping out the Caps even more by retaining 30% of Gudas' salary.

This doesn't sound encouraging....

...oh lawd...

@ruxpin

break out the pitchforks and tar and feathers get em ready...

Image result for pitchfork and fire gifs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brelic said:

Maybe buyout MacDud?

Ok maybe i spoke to soon...

...well being able to help with the break should help....

...you know who else would help get out the zone and actually carry the puck into the offensive zone???

Yeah i know before i say his name some do not like him...Matt Duchene....

• Like 2

You know, if Fletch goes out and gets a top pairing guy, this could be a very quick and clever retooling of the defense with minimal disruption. Retaining salary for a team with lots of room (and for only one year) is much smarter than giving up a B or C prospect or a mid-round pick. 

So, let's say Fletch is still intent on upgrading the defense, and gets Trouba or Subban - with Ghost likely going the other way.

And assume Hayes signs. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Nyquist or Connolly or similar 3RW

Raffl/Laughton/Hartman

Provorov/Subban

Sanheim/Niskanen

Hagg/Myers

Morin

The only cost to the Flyers was Gudas, Ghost (and maybe a 2nd rounder or B prospect), 5th rounder, and money.

I'd say that would be a successful team upgrade for minimal asset costs.

That team would be a significant upgrade to last year's squad.

• Like 2