Trade: Gudas traded for Niskanen

I don't hate this trade (not sure I like it, though) and understand the rationale.  Flyers get their veteran leader on defense in Niskanen and they will buyout McDonald to open a space on defense.  Bummed to see Gudas go.  Thought he was decent last year, had a good contract and seemed well liked.  Niskanen had an off year, but he's got more meaningful experience than Gudas.  I will say this: the void of players difficult to play against gets bigger.  Gudas was at least somewhat tough to play against.  Niskanen can be cheap, but I don't know if he's difficult.  Maybe I don't know enough about his game.  Did hate him on the Penguins.  Maybe Morin fills the void?

I was initially put off with the retained salary, but it's only for one year and the Flyers have room.  However, I suppose this may be one more case where Fletcher blinked and perhaps wasn't aggressive enough when making the deal.  I don't know.  I felt that way a little bit about the Talbott and Simmonds trades.  This smells a little like more of the same.  Oh well.  

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

That team would be a significant upgrade to last year's squad.

No, it would not. And that's before you factor in the age, contracts, and injury histories of Subban and Niskanen.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, it would not. And that's before you factor in the age, contracts, and injury histories of Subban and Niskanen.

Guess we'll just respectfully disagree then. 

To me, this would be a much better squad.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

By trading  a steady veteran like Gudas,one of our two right handed defenseman, this tells me that  Meyers takes Gudas spot on the third pair and we are most definitely trading for a  top veteran defenseman to pair with Provorov . It’s gotta be another righty, Trouba?

Then what do they do with Niskanen?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Guess we'll just respectfully disagree then. 

To me, this would be a much better squad.

I will say i'm just going to sit on the fence on this one....i am going to try and be optimistic about it.

Honestly this trade isn't what's going to make a huge difference for us. It's mostly just tinkering around the edges. Neither Gudas nor Niskanen are game-breaking, and their effectiveness on the ice is probably a wash for the most part. I've liked both of them throughout the years.

Overall, I would say this is a "meh" trade for me. I don't think it will matter much in grand scheme of things. If the coaching staff or Fletch prefer Niskanen for some reason I'm not aware of, then fine. Go for it. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Honestly this trade isn't what's going to make a huge difference for us. It's mostly just tinkering around the edges.

The intangibles are what will make or break this trade.  If Niskanen can be a good presence and influence and can bring some stability to the youth on defense, I think this trade can make a solid difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brelic said:

It does, I'd say... though it's a modest upgrade *if* Niskanen bounces back (from what I've read). 

It's an unsexy move that should help but probably won't move the needle very much.

I truly do not understand helping out the Caps even more by retaining 30% of Gudas' salary.

It may help more if the Flyers spend less time on the penalty kill courtesy of Gudas.....

5 minutes ago, vis said:

Didn't Niskanen flatten Laughton and then beat him up when Laughton tried to fight him?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

No you are correct. 2015 or 16, can't really remember which 

10 minutes ago, vis said:

Didn't Niskanen flatten Laughton and then beat him up when Laughton tried to fight him?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes he hit him and knocked him out the playoffs and then they fought the next year. I asked on the previous page i wonder how he felt about this....

2 hours ago, brelic said:

It does, I'd say... though it's a modest upgrade *if* Niskanen bounces back (from what I've read). 

It's an unsexy move that should help but probably won't move the needle very much.

I truly do not understand helping out the Caps even more by retaining 30% of Gudas' salary.

Niskanen is better and has another year on his contract more than Radko.  Makes sense to me. 

35 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

It may help more if the Flyers spend less time on the penalty kill courtesy of Gudas.....

Gudas doesn’t sit a lot.  He gets suspended maybe, but he doesn’t cause a ton of PP’s against. 

21 minutes ago, vis said:

I was wrong the injury in the playoffs was by John Carlson...

this was by Niskanen...

...and this was the fight...

..not exactly how Laughton envisioned it...

Honestly Niskanen is a great example of a player who always ended up playing for teams where he was asked to be 2nd fiddle because they had some other elite-level dman drawing all the attention. He strikes me as the kind of guy who goes out and does exactly what is asked of him.

With Carlson around, the Caps didn't need him to be flashy. They needed him to shore up the back end, so he did. In Pittsburgh, he was generally set behind Letang and asked to fill a similar role. Then when Letang dropped for a season, Niskanen slotted right in and took his spot. Was he as good? No, but he was still better than average.

He's a role player and can fill many holes. These are things coaches like for good reason.

Now, do I think he'll be a huge upgrade over Gudas? Not really. I think they're both pretty good honestly. Different players though. It's entirely possible Niskanen is more in line with the type of defense our new coaching staff want to implement. Given how anemic our defense was last year, I'm not inclined to argue much with new defensive strategies.

At the end of the day, I really don't think this trade makes a huge difference. Gudas vs Niskanen is not what will make this team sink or swim. They have other more important issues to iron out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Seattle isn’t likely to happen until 2021. 

I think Niskanen’s UFA by then. Should be oaky. 

Can you, or anyone, tell me?

I thought the NMC, etc., basically dies with the trade from the original team.  Is that not the case?

2 hours ago, vis said:

I was initially put off with the retained salary, but it's only for one year and the Flyers have room.  However, I suppose this may be one more case where Fletcher blinked and perhaps wasn't aggressive enough when making the deal.  I don't know.  I felt that way a little bit about the Talbott and Simmonds trades.  This smells a little like more of the same.  Oh well

Yes.

I don't care about the players involved in this.   Someone needs to explain why we're retaining salary to increase our cap AND get older.   With a division rival.  And your mention of the other trades is apt.  I'm okay with the Simmonds trade because we got younger and whatever, but Jesus, the retaining salary makes no sense here.  Is this Philly-centric thinking?  Is Gudas actually more worthless than we perceive?   I wonder if the Caps were set on someone else and the salary retention was part of a bait & switch.

I don't like it.  It's not horrific, but I don't like it.  Ultimately, I don't like it because it's starting to smell like we have (another) GM that bids against himself when there's no need to.

I don't think Nisk plays on the top pair.  If he starts there, he won't last, I don't think.  He's going to fall like a rock down the lineup and will again be a vet slipping in and out of the lineup.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I thought the NMC, etc., basically dies with the trade from the original team.  Is that not the case?

The Seattle Expansion draft will be in June of 2021 when Niskanen's contract expires.  

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes.

I don't care about the players involved in this.   Someone needs to explain why we're retaining salary to increase our cap AND get older.   With a division rival.  And your mention of the other trades is apt.  I'm okay with the Simmonds trade because we got younger and whatever, but Jesus, the retaining salary makes no sense here.  Is this Philly-centric thinking?  Is Gudas actually more worthless than we perceive?   I wonder if the Caps were set on someone else and the salary retention was part of a bait & switch.

I don't like it.  It's not horrific, but I don't like it.  Ultimately, I don't like it because it's starting to smell like we have (another) GM that bids against himself when there's no need to.

I don't think Nisk plays on the top pair.  If he starts there, he won't last, I don't think.  He's going to fall like a rock down the lineup and will again be a vet slipping in and out of the lineup.

I'm the one all down on Fletcher generally, but I have no problem with this deal. 

The Flyers are paying 700k for a year and getting a better Defenseman who has won a cup and is used to playing 23+ minutes (instead of 17) a night and is under contract for just 2 seasons.   

He's older, but he's better.   I really don't think he'll be slipping in an out of the lineup.  He's a pretty good player.  

I don't love this deal, but I have no issues with it.  He's a veteran D man with presence and state of mind that they don't have from anyone else.  

There are still 9 other teams he can be traded to, so this may not be over either.  If it isn't over, I don't hate it.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I do however believe the NMC travels with the player.  What I don't know is if he has to provide a new list of teams.

Niskanen's is a modified and he has to provide a list of teams he'll go to.

I believe his contract expires on the last day of the season which will no doubt be before the expansion draft.  

I'm not worried about him taking a slot in the expansion draft.