Trade: Gudas traded for Niskanen

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think that's exactly the point, though... Provorov doesn't want a bridge deal, so they are having a hard time gauging his long-term value. His uneven play does not inspire confidence in projecting his value.

I'm not sure it's a problem. Sign him to 6-7M per year for eight, which is about what he likely is worth given last year's fiasco. Signing him to a bridge just means it's entirely possible we'd to have to pay him 10M per by the time it's done, which would suck more.

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not sure it's a problem. Sign him to 6-7M per year for eight, which is about what he likely is worth given last year's fiasco. Signing him to a bridge just means it's entirely possible we'd to have to pay him 10M per by the time it's done, which would suck more.

Lol, yes, I think we're saying the same thing. Sure the team might have to pay him $10M at the end of a bridge deal... but Provorov (or his agent) probably thinks he is worth more than $6-7M per year on a long-term deal but the team doesn't. Otherwise what's the hold up?

Edited by brelic

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lol, yes, I think we're saying the same thing. Sure the team might have to pay him $10M at the end of a bridge deal... but Provorov (or his agent) probably thinks he is worth more than $6-7M per year on a long-term deal but the team doesn't. Otherwise what's the hold up?

Oh, that I don't know. It's possible his agent is asking for more than that. It's also possible Fletch is low-balling him based on just last season. I really hope not, but we really don't yet know what kind of GM we've got.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I was more focused on Provorov not wanting a bridge deal.

I would do 8 X 8 for him. But i sure hope he doesn't see Karlsson's 11+ mill and think he is there yet. He still has a lot to prove.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would do 8 X 8 for him. But i sure hope he doesn't see Karlsson's 11+ mill and think he is there yet. He still has a lot to prove.

I can't imagine his agent would be gunning for that. Provo has high potential, but Karlsson was dominant for much of his career. Even Provo is highly unlikely to ever reach that level. There can be no worse comparison for contract talks imo.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

I realize this is off topic, but Bill Belichik floundered in the NFL for years. Now he is considered one of, if not THE, best coaches ever

And Fletcher floundered in Minnesota, who has an NFL team. And that STILL doesn't make him anywhere near Bill Bellichik. I hope he's better than he was In Minnesota. But so far he's done squat to prove otherwise.

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, CoachX said:

I dunno. The defense looks better that it did

Washington Capitals won the trade between Matt Niskanen and Radko Gudas

https://starsandsticks.com/2019/08/26/washington-capitals-won-trade-matt-niskanen-radko-gudas/amp/

Not sure how even before it's turned September they can claim a winner here but if it makes them feel better than by all means comfort thyself.

However myself I will wait to make that call come next spring.

And their only evidence which they provided is rather flimsy to say the least.

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

https://starsandsticks.com/2019/08/26/washington-capitals-won-trade-matt-niskanen-radko-gudas/amp/

Not sure how even before it's turned September they can claim a winner here but if it makes them feel better than by all means comfort thyself.

The problem with Fansided is that it's written by dumbasses. I mean, it is literally written by your average hockey board visitor, often poorly, with spurious logic and worse English. 

And not the good hockey board visitors. The kind who have a trunk full of halibut in their Lumina. 

I read some of their draft predictions--I've stopped doing this, by the way--and on average it's mindless home team rah rah nonsense. 

And, by the way, the line that Gudas led the Flyers in shorthanded time on ice simply isn't true. It takes about 5 seconds to look that up. 

I don't think the trade was horrible from Washington's standpoint, especially from a cap perspective. But it's really a nonsensical post in August. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good luck with that!

Lets see how they feel when he serves his first suspension

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The problem with Fansided is that it's written by dumbasses. I mean, it is literally written by your average hockey board visitor, often poorly, with spurious logic and worse English. 

And not the good hockey board visitors. The kind who have a trunk full of halibut in their Lumina. 

I read some of their draft predictions--I've stopped doing this, by the way--and on average it's mindless home team rah rah nonsense. 

And, by the way, the line that Gudas led the Flyers in shorthanded time on ice simply isn't true. It takes about 5 seconds to look that up. 

I don't think the trade was horrible from Washington's standpoint, especially from a cap perspective. But it's really a nonsensical post in August. 

Well that explains some things....now we know what Rick does in his spare time...but i must say i didn't even look and see where the article came from mostly because i couldn't see it all from the glare coming from the sun when i was sitting by the pool the other day. 

But i guess it's true anyone can publish something on the internet these days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:30 AM, RonJeremy said:

By trading  a steady veteran like Gudas,one of our two right handed defenseman, this tells me that  Meyers takes Gudas spot on the third pair and we are most definitely trading for a  top veteran defenseman to pair with Provorov . It’s gotta be another righty, Trouba?

Man looking back the Hayes trade was huge i think no doubt.

But Chuckles trading Gudas for a top pairing defenseman, a guy who can come in and provide Ivan the confident shoulder to lean so he can continue to round into one of the best defenseman in Flyer's history is soooo huge...i can't say enough how out of the park he hit this.

Looking at how well those two are playing i don't think you could have planned it any better.

Niskanen 7 goals 25 assist 32 points +5  71 blocked shots

Provorov 11 goals 20 assist 31 points +4  100 blocked shots

Man this has gotten better and better as the season has gone.

And this has allowed the other two young guys i think Sanheim and Myers have less pressure so they can continue to work on their game.

Having a dominate pair to put out vs the other teams top lines has been huge to helping Hart grown into his role.

I just don't think Chuckles gets the credit he deserves....i know many have come here to put him on blast about all the negative things that could happen but none have really come out and it looks like they may have been wrong only a few to say well it looks good now but wait just wait it' may go south.....well we're waiting...i just hope the playoffs are their reward for turning it around this year.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man looking back the Hayes trade was huge i think no doubt.

But Chuckles trading Gudas for a top pairing defenseman, a guy who can come in and provide Ivan the confident shoulder to lean so he can continue to round into one of the best defenseman in Flyer's history is soooo huge...i can't say enough how out of the park he hit this.

Looking at how well those two are playing i don't think you could have planned it any better.

Niskanen 7 goals 25 assist 32 points +5  71 blocked shots

Provorov 11 goals 20 assist 31 points +4  100 blocked shots

Man this has gotten better and better as the season has gone.

And this has allowed the other two young guys i think Sanheim and Myers have less pressure so they can continue to work on their game.

Having a dominate pair to put out vs the other teams top lines has been huge to helping Hart grown into his role.

I just don't think Chuckles gets the credit he deserves....i know many have come here to put him on blast about all the negative things that could happen but none have really come out and it looks like they may have been wrong only a few to say well it looks good now but wait just wait it' may go south.....well we're waiting...i just hope the playoffs are their reward for turning it around this year.

I think some may have come in judging him on his tenure in Min, which i do think is fair. He was hardly a genius in his time there, and it was the best projection tool we had. 

That said, I think only a very few people were really sounding off on him. Most of us were and are willing to give him the benefit of time before coming down on his record here. As with many things, we seem to extrapolate posts that are more extreme and largely ignore more balanced posters and their thoughts. That’s human nature, and this board isn’t immune. 

As far as Fletch’s work goes to date, I do think it’s been generally positive. Certainly the coaching has been a mammoth change for the better. Also, I agree with you that Niskanen and Hayes were good adds (though i maintain we will almost certainly come to regret Hayes’ contract in the future). I think most of us were pretty on board with both acquisitions though. Those who weren’t just seem to be more memorable.

I don’t think we know how these latest two depth acquisitions will go, but they seem like reasonable adds also. I don’t think either of them will have a huge impact on the team, but they both seem to be solid depth options, and we all know how important depth is in the playoffs. 

I do wish he had moved Ghost for someone with a bit more potential, but it’s likely he tried and just found it to be a very hard sell given Ghost’s play and the injuries. 

Overall, i would say Fletch has done a good job though. Is it enough to make a playoff run? I don’t know, but he hasn’t made too many mistakes i’d say. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I think some may have come in judging him on his tenure in Min, which i do think is fair. He was hardly a genius in his time there, and it was the best projection tool we had. 

That said, I think only a very few people were really sounding off on him. Most of us were and are willing to give him the benefit of time before coming down on his record here. As with many things, we seem to extrapolate posts that are more extreme and largely ignore more balanced posters and their thoughts. That’s human nature, and this board isn’t immune. 

As far as Fletch’s work goes to date, I do think it’s been generally positive. Certainly the coaching has been a mammoth change for the better. Also, I agree with you that Niskanen and Hayes were good adds (though i maintain we will almost certainly come to regret Hayes’ contract in the future). I think most of us were pretty on board with both acquisitions though. Those who weren’t just seem to be more memorable.

I don’t think we know how these latest two depth acquisitions will go, but they seem like reasonable adds also. I don’t think either of them will have a huge impact on the team, but they both seem to be solid depth options, and we all know how important depth is in the playoffs. 

I do wish he had moved Ghost for someone with a bit more potential, but it’s likely he tried and just found it to be a very hard sell given Ghost’s play and the injuries. 

Overall, i would say Fletch has done a good job though. Is it enough to make a playoff run? I don’t know, but he hasn’t made too many mistakes i’d say. 

I'm on board with this.

I think bringing in NHL calibre coaches and the development of the younger guys have played the biggest roles in the team going forward. I'll give Fletcher credit for NOT trading away all our assets, cause that's what scared me most about him. 

• Like 3

I was one of those complaining about Fletcher's moves (at least Hayes) so I will respond.

Niskanen seems like an excellent move that has given Provorov the support he needed to continue to develop.  They are certainly the best top pair we've had since Timonen and Coburn at least.

Hayes is about what I thought he would be, maybe a little better.  I didn't realize he would be, by most accounts, a good locker room guy.  No one was complaining about what Hayes was going to do in Year 1. We'll see how well Hayes is doing in Years 5, 6, and 7.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

We'll see how well Hayes is doing in Years 5, 6, and 7.

Some of us will be around to see for sure.  Others will be lying at the bottom of the Walt Whitman Bridge and won't be able to see.

• Haha 2

The way the league is now with contracts,  you are always gonna have 3 or 4 guys making 8 or 9 million and as they age , you will be stuck with 3 or 4 years of poor returns. You just have to be lucky that, as some  bad contracts expire, and younger guys want big raises,  that you are able to crunch the numbers, keep drafting good players and keep the team competitive . Having a bunch of guys over 30 with big contracts  and all heading downhill is when you end up handcuffed with no cap space and few options. G expires in 22, just as Coots is up for a big raise in 22, so half that Giroux $ will go to Coots. JVR in 23 and Jake in 24 and Hayes in 26. So its imperative that we dump one big contract at the expansion draft and you have to buy someone out down the road, in order to pay our younger guys as they improve and get bigger contracts. It seems like you get a 3-4 year window to win the Cup and then you have to rebuild. Its getting harder to win the Cup with all the cap implications it limits your options for FA and traded.