Trade: Gudas traded for Niskanen

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I was certainly one of the ones not too happy with getting Fletcher as a gm (as you well know). As mentioned, his tenure in Minnesota was all we had to judge him on. He left that franchise a total wreck, with plenty of bad contracts signed for long term and a lousy farm system. I don't understand how you could look at him any other way.

I'll help you.

The ownership in Minnesota was/is very Jerry Jones-esque. 

Have you read any of the Wild posters here ?...they all hate the owner. 

They put the Parise/Suter contracts squarely on Leiopold's shoulders.

I know he traded Burns for Coyle (essentially) and made some other questionable calls. 
I think though, much like Paul Holmgren feeling pressure to win before Ed Snider died (real or perceived) I think there was a fair amount of meddling and being  told what to do, I don't know how many of the moves especially later in his tenure were A, trying to keep his job B. forced because he had 21 million AAV in two declining players. 

For example they're still sending out the bad Koivu as their top line centerman and Chuck's been here for over a year. Not everything in Minnesota was his idea. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll help you.

The ownership in Minnesota was/is very Jerry Jones-esque. 

Have you read any of the Wild posters here ?...they all hate the owner. 

They put the Parise/Suter contracts squarely on Leiopold's shoulders.

I know he traded Burns for Coyle (essentially) and made some other questionable calls. 
I think though, much like Paul Holmgren feeling pressure to win before Ed Snider died (real or perceived) I think there was a fair amount of meddling and being  told what to do, I don't know how many of the moves especially later in his tenure were A, trying to keep his job B. forced because he had 21 million AAV in two declining players. 

For example they're still sending out the bad Koivu as their top line centerman and Chuck's been here for over a year. Not everything in Minnesota was his idea. 

Take a look at his drafting. It's bad. Not leagues worst bad. But Koivu is STILL your top line centre bad. 5 of their top 7 scorers are over 30 bad. EVERYBODY has them near the bottom of the best prospects in the league bad. 

So there's also that. If the owner is doing the drafting as well that isn't a huge feather in his cap either.

I hope he does better in Philly. He's off to a good start. I'm hoping it continues. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Take a look at his drafting. It's bad. Not leagues worst bad. But Koivu is STILL your top line centre bad. 5 of their top 7 scorers are over 30 bad. EVERYBODY has them near the bottom of the best prospects in the league bad. 

So there's also that. If the owner is doing the drafting as well that isn't a huge feather in his cap either.

I hope he does better in Philly. He's off to a good start. I'm hoping it continues. 

I think the Flyers scouts are better, to my knowledge he and the nature boy haven't brought any of their guys with them for that function.

Again what was he being told to do ?  

But yes, he missed A. Lot.  Can't reasonably say otherwise. So far he's done pretty well here. 

It appears as though people have learned from their previous experience.

I will say this about Dave Scott too, he seems to be leaving Chuck alone, when he walked down the hall to Hextall's office it didn't go well. So  perhaps everyone has taken advantage of their opportunity for improvement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I was certainly one of the ones not too happy with getting Fletcher as a gm (as you well know). As mentioned, his tenure in Minnesota was all we had to judge him on. He left that franchise a total wreck, with plenty of bad contracts signed for long term and a lousy farm system. I don't understand how you could look at him any other way.

I was right alongside of you.  And vocal.   But so far, I don't really have anything to complain about in terms of personnel moves -- players or coaches.    Some have been terrific, others okay. But none I would view negatively at this point.    

The bolded above is also what my negativity was based on.  And I agree that's all we have to go on.  History as prelude, and all that rot.

But then there's Berube who couldn't coach a dog to eat or #### in Philly winning a Stanley Cup with the Blues.

So, here's my question with the bolded--and it's very likely too early to draw any definitive conclusions:   How much of the bolded was ownership?   I'm just wondering what of the craziness in Minny was him and how much of the craziness was following orders.    And how much was Russian meddling.

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

For example they're still sending out the bad Koivu as their top line centerman

Well, they're not, actually. Dailyfaceoff has him as 4th line (and his production seems to back that up). He's not listed on PP1 or PP2, either.

But ol' Fletch was absolutely not behind the Parise/Suter deals. And thank Leipold for that as Homer was going hard after them...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But then there's Berube who couldn't coach a dog to eat or #### in Philly winning a Stanley Cup with the Blues.

The Blues were two years removed from a Conference Final and added Ryan O'Reilly to the roster. That's where "a Berube type" can come in - midseason - and settle the ship down.

He didn't have anything like that in Philadelphia. I mean, he did take the Cup Finalist Rangers to 7 games and that was a Good Sign, but... well... y'know...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

not so good for Fletchs' drafting repertoire.

I get it, but it only goes so far. Remember, I come not to praise ol' Fletch but to bury him...

First rounders:
Nick Leddy D
Mikael Granlund C

Jonas Brodin D

Zack Phillips (28th - never played an NHL game) C

Matt Dumba D

No 2013 pick

Alex Tuch D

Joel Eriksson Ek C

Luke Kunin C

No 2018 1st or 2nd

It's by no means a great record, but Eriksson Ek (20th overall) is centering the second line at 23 and Kunin (15th overall) has played parts of three seasons at 22 and there really isn't a first round center after either of them that you could say he "missed" on.

Clearly the Wild were building from the back-end during this period and were relying - for better or worse - on Koivu as their #1C. Most of those mid-first-round D guys were serviceable or better. Granlund has a couple of 65+ point seasons for them and I honestly don't understand the deal for Fiala (and that wasn't Fletch).

In the end, the Wild were a "competitive" team with a "make the playoffs and anything can happen" mentality who took two big, bad swings on UFAs and it only took them so far.

Those things can happen in this league... Just ask Ron Hextall. :hocky:

Don't forget that one of the other things Fletcher had working against him in Minnesota was the scouting staff. Let's be honest about this - the Flyers have one of, if not, the best scouting staff in the NHL. I get that Hextall gets a lot of credit for rebuilding the farm system, but let's not forget that he had a lot of help from the scouting staff. Fletcher is a lot of things, but being a fool isn't one of them. Same with Nature Boy Brent Flahr. Having a great scouting staff makes their job incredibly easy. I don't see why that would change.

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Don't forget that one of the other things Fletcher had working against him in Minnesota was the scouting staff. Let's be honest about this - the Flyers have one of, if not, the best scouting staff in the NHL. I get that Hextall gets a lot of credit for rebuilding the farm system, but let's not forget that he had a lot of help from the scouting staff. Fletcher is a lot of things, but being a fool isn't one of them. Same with Nature Boy Brent Flahr. Having a great scouting staff makes their job incredibly easy. I don't see why that would change.

How exactly do the Flyers have one of the best scouting staffs? If that were true you would think it would result in star players leading a team to continued playoff runs and championships.

Unless I missed something, that has not happened

However, I see your point if you count players the Flyers have drafted that went on to win cups with other teams

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If that were true you would think it would result in star players leading a team to continued playoff runs and championships.

Remember when Homer traded away every 2nd round pick he had and some he didn't have? Hard for scouts to do much when they don't have picks with which to pick players.

Edited by Podein25
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Don't forget that one of the other things Fletcher had working against him in Minnesota was the scouting staff.

He was GM there for 9 years. If the scouting staff wasn't very good, shouldn't he have done something about it in NINE years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Remember when Homer traded away every 2nd round pick he had and some he didn't have? Hard for scouts to do much when they don't have picks with which to pick players.

I thought the point was about players they scouted and signed, not ones that were traded away

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Come on Pods...you're forgetting all those 3rds, 4ths....1sts!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

How exactly do the Flyers have one of the best scouting staffs? If that were true you would think it would result in star players leading a team to continued playoff runs and championships.

However, I see your point if you count players the Flyers have drafted that went on to win cups with other teams

We've won the most cups in the league. Our players have just done it on other teams.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I get it, but it only goes so far. Remember, I come not to praise ol' Fletch but to bury him...

First rounders:
Nick Leddy D
Mikael Granlund C

Jonas Brodin D

Zack Phillips (28th - never played an NHL game) C

Matt Dumba D

No 2013 pick

Alex Tuch D

Joel Eriksson Ek C

Luke Kunin C

No 2018 1st or 2nd

It's by no means a great record, but Eriksson Ek (20th overall) is centering the second line at 23 and Kunin (15th overall) has played parts of three seasons at 22 and there really isn't a first round center after either of them that you could say he "missed" on.

Clearly the Wild were building from the back-end during this period and were relying - for better or worse - on Koivu as their #1C. Most of those mid-first-round D guys were serviceable or better. Granlund has a couple of 65+ point seasons for them and I honestly don't understand the deal for Fiala (and that wasn't Fletch).

In the end, the Wild were a "competitive" team with a "make the playoffs and anything can happen" mentality who took two big, bad swings on UFAs and it only took them so far.

Those things can happen in this league... Just ask Ron Hextall. :hocky:

Ya, not leagues worst, but closer to it than leagues best. 

Ek has 26 points. 2 Flyer defencemen are outscoring him...and that's with Ghost having a horrible year or there'd be 3. 

When 5 of your top 7 scorers are over 30...and you suck, things clearly didn't go well.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

The Blues were two years removed from a Conference Final and added Ryan O'Reilly to the roster. That's where "a Berube type" can come in - midseason - and settle the ship down.

He didn't have anything like that in Philadelphia. I mean, he did take the Cup Finalist Rangers to 7 games and that was a Good Sign, but... well... y'know...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Right. The credit Hextall gets is not trading the picks away, letting the scouting department do its thing, and listening to them.  And then not trading away the prospects. 

How much credit depends on individual taste. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, not leagues worst, but closer to it than leagues best. 

Ek has 26 points. 2 Flyer defencemen are outscoring him...and that's with Ghost having a horrible year or there'd be 3. 

When 5 of your top 7 scorers are over 30...and you suck, things clearly didn't go well.

Dumpster Doug Risebrough is actually more to blame than Fletcher for the Wild not having any scorers. Here’s some of the gems Risebrough drafted in the first round:

Tyler Cuma 

Colton Gilles

James Shepard 

Benoit Pouliot (#4 overall)

AJ Thelen

Risebrough makes Fletcher look like a drafting prodigy by comparison...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think you have to look where they pick, especially lately. They have been just good enough to miss out on the truly game changing talent.

So they are looking in the 12-25 range where there are good NHL players .

Also when the Flyers have sucked enough to pick top 5 the draft class has been weak. 

Let's look at the picks from the 2010 on :

2010 3 89 Michael Chaput 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 167 6 16 22 76 [188]
2010 4 119 Tye McGinn# 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 89 9 8 17 44 [189]
2010 5 149 Michael Parks 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States RW  
2010 5 179 Nick Luukko 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2010 7 206 Ricard Blidstrand 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2010 7 209 Brendan Ranford 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 1 0 0 0 0 [190]
2011 1 8 Sean CouturierUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 578 134 209 343 225 [191]
2011 3 68 Nick Cousins# 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 259 31 42 73 103 [192]
2011 4 116 Colin Suellentrop 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2011 4 118 Marcel Noebels 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany LW  
2011 6 176 Petr Placek 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic RW  
2011 7 206 Derek Mathers 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW  
2012 1 20 Scott LaughtonUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 272 31 48 79 146 [193]
2012 3 78 Shayne GostisbehereUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D 298 46 141 187 103 [194]
2012 4 111 Fredric Larsson 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2012 4 117 Taylor LeierUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 55 2 5 7 10 [195]
2012 5 141 Reece Willcox 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2012 7 201 Valeri Vasiliev 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia D  
2013 1 11 Samuel MorinUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 8 0 0 0 8 [196]
2013 2 41 Robert HaggUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D 153 8 21 29 95 [197]
2013 3 72 Tyrell GoulbourneUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 11 0 0 0 2 [198]
2013 5 132 Terrance Amorosa 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2013 7 192 David Drake 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2014 1 17 Travis SanheimUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 131 11 34 45 42 [199]
2014 2 48 Nicolas Aube-KubelUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW 9 0 0 0 0 [200]
2014 3 86 Mark FriedmanUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 1 0 0 0 0 [201]
2014 5 138 Oskar LindblomUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden LW 104 19 20 39 28 [202]
2014 6 168 Radel Fazleev 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C  
2014 7 198 Jesper Pettersson 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2015 1 7 Ivan ProvorovUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia D 246 30 67 97 86 [203]
2015 1 24 Travis KonecnyUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW 233 59 65 124 135 [204]
2015 4 98 Samuel Dove-McFalls 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2015 4 104 Mikhail VorobyevUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C 15 1 1 2 2 [205]
2015 5 128 David Kase 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic RW  
2015 6 158 Cooper Marody 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C 6 0 0 0 0 [206]
2016 1 22 German RubtsovUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C [207]
2016 2 36 Pascal Laberge 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C  
2016 2 52 Wade Allison 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW  
2016 3 82 Carsen TwarynskiUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW [208]
2016 4 109 Connor BunnamanUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C [209]
2016 5 139 Linus Hogberg 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2016 5 169 Tanner Laczynski 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2016 6 172 Anthony Salinitri 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C  
2016 7 199 David Bernhardt 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2017 1 2 Nolan PatrickUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 145 26 35 61 57 [210]
2017 1 27 Morgan FrostUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C [211]
2017 2 35 Isaac Ratcliffe 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2017 4 106 Matthew Strome 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2017 4 107 Maxim Sushko 23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus RW  
2017 5 137 Noah Cates 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States LW  
2017 6 168 Olle Lycksell 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden C  
2017 7 196 Wyatt Kalynuk 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2018 1 14 Joel FarabeeUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States LW [212]
2018 1 19 Jay O'Brien 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2018 2 50 Adam Ginning 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2018 4 112 Jack St. Ivany 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2018 5 127 Wyatte Wylie 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2018 6 174 Gavin Hain 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2018 7 205 Marcus Westfalt 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden C  
2019 1 14 Cameron York 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2019 2 34 Bobby Brink 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States RW  
2019 3 72 Ronald Attard 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2019 4 103 Mason Millman 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2019 6 165 Egor Serdyuk 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia RW  
2019 7 196 Bryce Brodzinski 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States

2014 and 2016 were really good years  guys making their way in the top leagues,  2017 is looking strong also. 

Interesting to note also  at the beginning of the decade there were zero second round picks. barely any picks at all from 10-12.

I think the scouts have done a good job of finding guys who have developed into good players. 

Perhaps you're being glib here because they didn't draft Crosby 2.0 but that guy is never around when the Flyers pick even when they pick 1 or 2. 

Bad luck with Patrick's health has prevented him from showing out. I think though that once he's cleared he's going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder and he's got elite skill, I think we'll be happy with that pick. 

Edit: this doesn't count the free agent guys that have been signed.  Michael Raffl, Pierre Edward Bellmare, Phillipe Myers and Igor Zamula. Those are truly where the scouting department of the Flyers has shined. 

Also this table doesn't include goalies which saw the Flyers draft  Anthony Stolarz, Carter Hart, Samuel Ersson, Felix Sandstrom and Krill Ustimenko

Edited by mojo1917

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Bad luck with Patrick's health has prevented him from showing out.

And not just Patrick. Laberge's tragic injury history is also relevant. He was teh 2nd overall pick in the Q midget draft. And a nice player. He could have been great. Was sent to the ECHL last week, which must feel like rock bottom, even for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think you have to look where they pick, especially lately. They have been just good enough to miss out on the truly game changing talent.

So they are looking in the 12-25 range where there are good NHL players .

Also when the Flyers have sucked enough to pick top 5 the draft class has been weak. 

Let's look at the picks from the 2010 on :

2010 3 89 Michael Chaput 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 167 6 16 22 76 [188]
2010 4 119 Tye McGinn# 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 89 9 8 17 44 [189]
2010 5 149 Michael Parks 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States RW  
2010 5 179 Nick Luukko 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2010 7 206 Ricard Blidstrand 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2010 7 209 Brendan Ranford 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 1 0 0 0 0 [190]
2011 1 8 Sean CouturierUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 578 134 209 343 225 [191]
2011 3 68 Nick Cousins# 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 259 31 42 73 103 [192]
2011 4 116 Colin Suellentrop 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2011 4 118 Marcel Noebels 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany LW  
2011 6 176 Petr Placek 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic RW  
2011 7 206 Derek Mathers 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW  
2012 1 20 Scott LaughtonUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 272 31 48 79 146 [193]
2012 3 78 Shayne GostisbehereUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D 298 46 141 187 103 [194]
2012 4 111 Fredric Larsson 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2012 4 117 Taylor LeierUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 55 2 5 7 10 [195]
2012 5 141 Reece Willcox 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2012 7 201 Valeri Vasiliev 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia D  
2013 1 11 Samuel MorinUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 8 0 0 0 8 [196]
2013 2 41 Robert HaggUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D 153 8 21 29 95 [197]
2013 3 72 Tyrell GoulbourneUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW 11 0 0 0 2 [198]
2013 5 132 Terrance Amorosa 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2013 7 192 David Drake 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2014 1 17 Travis SanheimUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 131 11 34 45 42 [199]
2014 2 48 Nicolas Aube-KubelUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW 9 0 0 0 0 [200]
2014 3 86 Mark FriedmanUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D 1 0 0 0 0 [201]
2014 5 138 Oskar LindblomUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden LW 104 19 20 39 28 [202]
2014 6 168 Radel Fazleev 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C  
2014 7 198 Jesper Pettersson 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2015 1 7 Ivan ProvorovUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia D 246 30 67 97 86 [203]
2015 1 24 Travis KonecnyUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW 233 59 65 124 135 [204]
2015 4 98 Samuel Dove-McFalls 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2015 4 104 Mikhail VorobyevUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C 15 1 1 2 2 [205]
2015 5 128 David Kase 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic RW  
2015 6 158 Cooper Marody 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C 6 0 0 0 0 [206]
2016 1 22 German RubtsovUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia C [207]
2016 2 36 Pascal Laberge 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C  
2016 2 52 Wade Allison 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada RW  
2016 3 82 Carsen TwarynskiUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW [208]
2016 4 109 Connor BunnamanUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C [209]
2016 5 139 Linus Hogberg 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2016 5 169 Tanner Laczynski 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2016 6 172 Anthony Salinitri 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C  
2016 7 199 David Bernhardt 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2017 1 2 Nolan PatrickUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C 145 26 35 61 57 [210]
2017 1 27 Morgan FrostUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada C [211]
2017 2 35 Isaac Ratcliffe 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2017 4 106 Matthew Strome 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada LW  
2017 4 107 Maxim Sushko 23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus RW  
2017 5 137 Noah Cates 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States LW  
2017 6 168 Olle Lycksell 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden C  
2017 7 196 Wyatt Kalynuk 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2018 1 14 Joel FarabeeUp-arrow 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States LW [212]
2018 1 19 Jay O'Brien 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2018 2 50 Adam Ginning 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden D  
2018 4 112 Jack St. Ivany 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2018 5 127 Wyatte Wylie 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2018 6 174 Gavin Hain 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States C  
2018 7 205 Marcus Westfalt 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden C  
2019 1 14 Cameron York 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2019 2 34 Bobby Brink 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States RW  
2019 3 72 Ronald Attard 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D  
2019 4 103 Mason Millman 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada D  
2019 6 165 Egor Serdyuk 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia RW  
2019 7 196 Bryce Brodzinski 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States

2014 and 2016 were really good years  guys making their way in the top leagues,  2017 is looking strong also. 

Interesting to note also  at the beginning of the decade there were zero second round picks. barely any picks at all from 10-12.

I think the scouts have done a good job of finding guys who have developed into good players. 

Perhaps you're being glib here because they didn't draft Crosby 2.0 but that guy is never around when the Flyers pick even when they pick 1 or 2. 

Bad luck with Patrick's health has prevented him from showing out. I think though that once he's cleared he's going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder and he's got elite skill, I think we'll be happy with that pick. 

Edit: this doesn't count the free agent guys that have been signed.  Michael Raffl, Pierre Edward Bellmare, Phillipe Myers and Igor Zamula. Those are truly where the scouting department of the Flyers has shined. 

Also this table doesn't include goalies which saw the Flyers draft  Anthony Stolarz, Carter Hart, Samuel Ersson, Felix Sandstrom and Krill Ustimenko

You make a compelling argument, but Im not swayed. If the scouting department was so good, "one of the best", it would translate to top notch players delivering winning products on the ice.

That hasnt happened 

• Like 1