LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2019-2020

pilldoc

I've been thinking about Wyatt Kaylnuk a little, what is his ceiling? I mean realistically, are we going to lose Ryan MacDoughnah for nothing? or will it be like losing Kris Russell? 

There are some really good young players ahead of him on the depth chart who are already in the NHL and will only get better. 

He's not going to be better than Sanhiem or Provorov, will he be as good as Meyers hell can he beat out Mark Freidman? who everytime I watch him plays like a real NHL player... I guess I'm saying, sure it's sad to miss out on a quality young man and player, but there are only 6 spots, he's being wise to want to see where he can play and earn immediately. 

At this point I'm not sure if losing him is poor asset management or an eventuality of picking and finding good players. This is the first time in 10 years i've felt this way about maybe losing a defensive prospect. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I've been thinking about Wyatt Kaylnuk a little, what is his ceiling? I mean realistically, are we going to lose Ryan MacDoughnah for nothing? or will it be like losing Kris Russell? 

There are some really good young players ahead of him on the depth chart who are already in the NHL and will only get better. 

He's not going to be better than Sanhiem or Provorov, will he be as good as Meyers hell can he beat out Mark Freidman? who everytime I watch him plays like a real NHL player... I guess I'm saying, sure it's sad to miss out on a quality young man and player, but there are only 6 spots, he's being wise to want to see where he can play and earn immediately. 

At this point I'm not sure if losing him is poor asset management or an eventuality of picking and finding good players. This is the first time in 10 years i've felt this way about maybe losing a defensive prospect. 

I think he just looked at the Flyers depth at the position (you didn't even mention York, Zamula) and figured he has a better chance elsewhere. I'm ok with losing him now that they got Allison and Laczynski signed. Like you said, it wasn't long ago when he'd be our best defensive prospect and we couldn't afford to lose him. Now there's an entire team of quality dmen under 25.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:20 PM, mojo1917 said:

The only thing anyone should be angry about is that the Flyers lost an asset. Now, can't blame Fletcher and Flahr for trying to sign him, but at the same time, the writing was on the wall that Kalynuk wasn't going to sign here. At the very least, a 4th or a 5th could have been had for him. 

With that being said, an overaged 7th round pick that was 20 when he was drafted isn't a big loss. The pipeline of defensemen is superb in Philadelphia. Not everyone will make it, but at the same time, having all this depth and talent is a blessing in disguise. Defensemen have such high trade value that if Fletcher plays his cards right, he can get some seriously good pieces in return to continue replenishing the pipeline or making a huge acquisition. 

The one thing I trust Fletcher with is defensemen. He and Flahr know defensemen and they have a track record there. When you consider that the Flyers scouting staff knows about forwards, this is a great mix going forward for the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At the very least, a 4th or a 5th could have been had for him. 

It's all I wanted another chance to pull a Lindblom out of the dreggs of the draft.

I think he ends up like a Shattenkirk type very good offensive skills and but leaves a lot to be desired in his own end.

Either way it's water under the bridge now.

They coffers are still full and brimming with talent.