LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2019-2020

pilldoc

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it might be time to bring Sandstrom up from the ECHL to see if he can help this team. Not saying he can but he is right there and only needs to be given a chance...right now the Phantoms are sitting outside the playoffs and in the 10th slot.

Phantoms still need to pick up the goal scoring too...but damn if they are going to lose let's get Sandstrom so better competition to prepare himself to help in the future.

Caveat: Unless their plan to keep him down is to keep him hidden from Seattle when the expansion draft takes place since they can't protect him and he can be selected...if this is their plan then yeah ok i get it leave him down.

However this is a reason they can't afford to call up Frost. And HTF is Gordon losing with this roster??

I would try and call up Pascal Laberge and insert him into the lineup for a boost.

About all they can do now for more offense. Someone besides Frost needs to step up.

Start him on the 4th if you have to.

10 Carey 9 O'Reilly 51 Criscuolo

15 Sushko 23 Frost 16 Aube-Kubel

24 Vorobyev 12 Rubtsov 38 Kase

8 Strome 23 Laberge  29 Gabriel

I would guess there are going to be better goalies than Sandstrom available to Seattle...and if that's all we lost in the expansion, well, it's better than a Myers or Ghost. At this point anyway.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I thought that's what you meant but wasn't 100% sure.

I didn't realize the Phantoms were so beat up that kind of explains their struggles scoring.

That and are missing guys who are filling in on the big club too.

Andreoff (NHL)
Bigras (injury)
Bunnaman (injury)
Farabee (NHL)
Friedman (injury)
Morin (out for season)
Myers (NHL)
Ratcliffe (injury)
Twarysnki (NHL)

Rumor mill is at peak now. !!!!
On Johnny Gaudreau...

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

6 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Rumor mill is at peak now. !!!!
On Johnny Gaudreau...

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

This is from Fake News Eklund, the CNN of hockey trades. Theres no way we take on GUdreaus salary unless we dump JVR or Jake, which is unlikely. I would give up Ghost and a pick, but not one of our top prospects.  

Is this even possible? You don't trade a guy who has 408pts in 423g who is still in his prime at 26 years old unless the return is huge. Also, he is a hell of a bargain at under 6.7M per year.

Johnny Gaudreau would immediately contend for the scoring lead on our team now and likely for several years to come yet. He's making less money for less term than Giroux, Jake, Hayes, and JVR. Of those four, Giroux is the only one who can compete with the guy in terms of production and raw talent, and he's on the back side of 30 at this point.

My guess is any trade involving Gaudreau would be sending a substantial amount back. Otherwise it just makes no sense. If Fletch can somehow package Ghost, Jake, or JVR with a 1st for the guy, he should do it in a heartbeat. I like mid to late 1st round picks as much as the next guy, but I'll take the sure bet top level scorer in Gaudreau any day of the week.

That said, I just can't see it happening. If Gaudreau is moved, it'll be for a king's ransom. A mid-six roster player, bottom pairing dman, and an unknown mid 1st rd pick seems too little for a guy like him. That is, unless he really wants to play for his childhood team and somehow convinced his GM to make it happen. Still, I can't see it. I think the price would be too steep.

Edited by elmatus

@elmatus I know Gaudreau said one day he wants to play for the Flyers, isn’t he an UFA in 2 years.? I would wait, because by then we could unload JVR or Jake in the expansion draft, then we would have some $ to sign him. I think Coots will also be up for another contact, so we may have to buy out one of our expensive guys who wasn’t taken in the expansion draft.

• Like 1

Meh...Giroux isn't big...neither is Konecny (though they can both play bigger than they are) Frost isn't...Farabee isn't...I'm not sure adding another small guy (soft to boot) to the top 6 (eventually for the latter 2) is going to benefit the Flyers playoff hopes. Teams like the Caps and Bruins would run us out of the rink.

Like RJ said, signing him as a FA is one thing (that I also won't hold my breath on) but giving up a top prospect and a 1st and whoever...pass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Meh...Giroux isn't big...neither is Konecny (though they can both play bigger than they are) Frost isn't...Farabee isn't...I'm not sure adding another small guy (soft to boot) to the top 6 (eventually for the latter 2) is going to benefit the Flyers playoff hopes. Teams like the Caps and Bruins would run us out of the rink.

Like RJ said, signing him as a FA is one thing (that I also won't hold my breath on) but giving up a top prospect and a 1st and whoever...pass.

I agree, what we really need is a Wayne Simmonds type of guy. A natural right wing with size and skill who can battle on the boards and also protect his teammates . Allison and Laberge are the only natural R wings in our system. Allison plays with some grit, not sure about Laberge but he is doing well so far for the Phantoms, looks like he finally recovered from that horrible concussion.  Maybe he can be a sniper for us eventually. Then we can move Farabee to left wing and dump JVR.

46 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree, what we really need is a Wayne Simmonds type of guy.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you there. There aren't a ton of those in the league now though, and those who are around are either past their prime (like Simmer) or highly unlikely to be moved to begin with (like say Tkachuk).

I expect AV would love to have such a guy around also, which is why he held on to Chris Stewart for so long. Given how few there are anywhere, teams aren't super willing to give those guys up.

Some prospect updates...

Kalynuk has 14 points (4g 10a) in 18 games. Will be a nice addition to the Phantoms blueline.

York looking good in his freshman season 9 points (4g 5a) in 14 games.

Noah Cates with 16 points (9g 7a) in 16 games. I'm sure beefs up the Phantoms LW side next season.

So just few of the guys updates.