LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2019-2020

pilldoc

5 hours ago, intheslot said:

Wyatt Kalynuk

It would be nice to hear some news on a few of these college kids who need to be signed.

Allison and Laczynski as well as Kalynuk. I have him penciled in with Zamula as the top pair or at least the 2nd pair.

I wouldn't bring Gordon back as head coach next year.

Zamula-Kalynuk
Wotherspoon -Wylie

Bigras-Prosser
Högberg

11 hours ago, intheslot said:

Great news. Was really concerned he was going back in the draft. Could be a well needed scorer in the not too distant future.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Was really concerned he was going back in the draft.

He couldn't go back in the draft.

He is to old all he had to do is not sign and then he would have been a free agent to sign with any team.

Now they need to get Noah Cates signed so the Frat boy line is complete.

Noah Cates Tanner Laczynski Wade Allison would be a very very good line for the Phantoms next year. 

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He couldn't go back in the draft.

He is to old all he had to do is not sign and then he would have been a free agent to sign with any team.

Now they need to get Noah Cates signed so the Frat boy line is complete.

Noah Cates Tanner Laczynski Wade Allison would be a very very good line for the Phantoms next year. 

Oh, ok. Allison was my main concern, then Laczyinski. I'm happy they got them both signed.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, flyercanuck said:

Oh, ok. Allison was my main concern, then Laczyinski. I'm happy they got them both signed.

Something to look forward too...oh look hockey....i remember those days...

• Like 1

He should go pro. Wisconsin is losing so many players who are signing. Might as well too.

Leaving:

Caulfield,  Turcotte, Ahcan, and K'Andre Miller might as well join them no one left to make a great team again.

No word i guess yet on Noah Cates either.

Edited by OccamsRazor

• 1 month later...

Division I coaches in Minnesota never like when local recruits sneak out of the state.

Fortunately for Scott Sandelin, he knew Noah Cates going back to the prospect's early teenage days. The Stillwater, Minnesota, native played summer hockey with Sandelin's son Ryan.

They were just kids.

"I remember Noah when he was not 6-foot-1, 6-foot-2," Sandelin, the Minnesota Duluth head coach, said, "I remember when he was about 5-foot-8, 5-foot-9.

"I'm just glad he picked Duluth."

Cates stayed and is still in Minnesota ... but not for much longer.

Sandelin is now OK with that looming reality. Of all people, he understands best why Cates' days in the home state are numbered.

Cates is no longer a skinny high schooler. He no longer portrays a fifth-round pick. And the Flyers are no longer well off in the distance.

It wouldn't be outlandish to proclaim Cates as the club's top college prospect in the system. After playing a notable role in his freshman season for a Bulldogs team that won the 2019 national championship, the 21-year-old winger made an even bigger stride as a sophomore. Cates scored just a shade under a point per game with 14 goals and 19 assists in 34 contests, tying him as the second-leading scorer for fifth-ranked Minnesota Duluth.

When Cates left Stillwater Area High School in 2017, he was 165 pounds and relied a lot on his skill. Sandelin does not see that anymore.

Cates is a 6-foot-2, 190-pound, all-situation winger — a prospect the Flyers couldn't stop talking about last summer.

"He’s a fun player to watch, he does so many little things within his game," Sandelin said April 11 in a phone interview with NBC Sports Philadelphia. "He’s got tremendous compete level, he’s hard on pucks, great body position, he’s strong on his feet. He’s got everything. He’s not going to wow you with Connor McDavid speed, but he does a lot of things that sometimes maybe the normal hockey person doesn’t always see all the time, but as a coach and as a teammate, you really appreciate. I think that’s what makes him, in my opinion, special.”

The 2020-21 season has the makings to be a special encore for Cates. Sandelin expects him to turn pro after his junior year.

"For us, I think the plan is probably one more year of college and then making the jump, which I think would be pretty realistic for him," Sandelin, who played for the Flyers in 1990-91 and was a teammate of player development coach Kjell Samuelsson, said. "I’d love to keep him for four years, but I don’t think that’s going to happen and I hope that he continues to develop so he has that opportunity after next year to be able to step in and maybe play in Philly and have a long career.

“He just loves to play the game. And that’s what you want to see. He comes to the rink with a smile, he works hard every day, he works on his game, he’s a student of the game and that’s why down the road a year from now hopefully the Flyers are going to be getting a pretty good hockey player.”

In 2018-19, his freshman year with the Bulldogs, Cates had a productive 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship for the U.S., playing alongside guys like Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Joel Farabee and Josh Norris.

Sandelin was one of the team's assistant coaches and watched Cates return to Minnesota Duluth as a freshman surging down the stretch.

"I thought he had a very good tournament there," Sandelin said. "Very versatile, he can play wing, he can play center, so he was very valuable to that team.

"You know what that tournament can do for players. I thought he really, really excelled in the second half for us, played with more confidence in everything that he was doing. I think this year, through his summer, training hard, came here — you know, confidence is a funny thing, right? You come off a really strong year as a freshman and sometimes guys can go the other way, but I think he took another step and rode that wave of confidence."

With Cates as a sophomore, his role was "pretty much everything," Sandelin said. He killed penalties and handled a variety of jobs on the power play because of his multifaceted skill set.

"He’s played the bumpers, he’s played the half wall, he’s played different things and I think that’s important to those guys, too, from a development standpoint — you put them in different spots," Sandelin said. "You try and find, for all those players, especially on a power play, you try to find where they can really excel.

"His strength along the wall, his puck protection skills, his ability to play in those areas is really good. A lot of guys don’t always get to those areas or want to play in those areas all the time, but he’s certainly not afraid of that. He’s good around the net. He’s kind of a net-front guy on our power play that can get pucks. We did some different movements with that."

Sandelin, a three-time national champion head coach, recalled a weekend in February when the Bulldogs lost Cates' older brother Jackson Cates to an injury for the rest of the season, which forced Minnesota Duluth to shift the younger Cates to center.

"He didn’t really miss a beat," Sandelin said.

"That’s what I love about him, he doesn’t care, he just wants to play. He played center in junior hockey, as well, and even according to the coaches, he really excelled there. It’s nice to have that versatility in a player. For us, losing Jackson was a big loss, but being able to move Noah to the middle and not really miss a beat was important to our team.

"Positionally, he doesn’t really care. ‘I’ll go there and I’ll do what I need to do.’ ... Some guys are like, ‘I don’t want to play there,’ or they kind of look at you. They don’t even have to look at you or say anything, sometimes they’re just like, ‘I don’t know, I don’t really want to play there.’ He just doesn’t care, he just wants to play — he’s a hockey player.”

And one that is closing in on the pro level.

By Jordan Hall May 05, 2020 8:40 PM

• 4 weeks later...

Flyers sign Swedish defence prospect Hogberg (oink oink)

https://www.tsn.ca/philadelphia-flyers-sign-defenceman-linus-hogberg-to-entry-level-contract-1.1481608

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenceman Linus Hogberg to an entry-level contract which will begin in 2020-21.

OFFICIAL: We’ve signed defenseman Linus Hogberg an entry-level contract, which will begin in 2020-21. Hogberg was selected as the club's fifth-round pick (139th overall) in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

View image on Twitter

Hogberg, 21, was drafted in the fifth round (139th overall) by the Flyers at the 2016 NHL Draft.

The defenceman spent last season in the Swedish Hockey League with the Vaxjo Lakers, where he recorded five goals and 14 points in 50 games.

So Phantoms should have once again a very nice young skilled blueline:

Zamula

Wylie

Hogberg

Prosser

Bigras

Wotherspoon

And i am hoping they can add Wyatt Kalynuk to the arsenal since it has been reported he isn't returning to Wisconsin.

If he does that would give them 7 defensemen to start the year. 

The club opted to not sign David Bernhardt before Monday's 5 p.m. deadline. As a result, the 22-year-old Swedish defenseman has become a draft-related unrestricted free agent.

Here's a look at the Flyers' 10-player 2016 draft class:

First round — German Rubtsov (Flyers/Phantoms)
Second round — Pascal Laberge (Phantoms/Royals) 
Second round — Carter Hart (Flyers)
Second round — Wade Allison (Phantoms) 
Third round — Carsen Twarynski (Flyers/Phantoms)
Fourth round — Connor Bunnaman (Flyers/Phantoms)
Fifth round — Linus Hogberg (Phantoms)
Sixth round — Tanner Laczynski (Phantoms) 
Sixth round — Anthony Salinitri (no longer in organization)
Seventh round — David Bernhardt (no longer in organization)

Bernhardt was a 2016 seventh-round draft pick of the Flyers, when Ron Hextall was general manager and Chris Pryor was director of player personnel. Linus Hogberg, another blueliner from Sweden who was taken by the Flyers in the fifth round of the same draft, i

Edited by intheslot
adding letters

Anyone know the reason that Bernhardt was not signed?  Flyers choice or did he not want to sign?

I was talking to an AHL player a couple years ago.  I was wearing an Eagles t-shirt and hat.  He asked me if I was a Flyers fan, too.  I told him I was and he told me how he hated "the fcikng Flyers".  They drafted him and didn't sign him and he felt slighted.  He only played in one NHL game after that.  I wisely kept my mouth shut but wanted to tell him the Flyer made the right call!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Anyone know the reason that Bernhardt was not signed?  Flyers choice or did he not want to sign?

I was talking to an AHL player a couple years ago.  I was wearing an Eagles t-shirt and hat.  He asked me if I was a Flyers fan, too.  I told him I was and he told me how he hated "the fcikng Flyers".  They drafted him and didn't sign him and he felt slighted.  He only played in one NHL game after that.  I wisely kept my mouth shut but wanted to tell him the Flyer made the right call!

They have limited amount of contracts to hand out and have 6 defensemen already signed or expected to play this upcoming season.

And from reports they just don't project him to ever be a career minor leaguer. And they are trying to signed Wyatt Kalnyuk who i would expect to be a huge upgrade to the Phantoms so that would give them 7 bodies.

Zamula

Kalnyuk

Wylie

Hogberg

Prosser

Bigras

Wotherspoon

Plus they need to resign Friedman and maybe try and save a spot for Morin.

Edited by OccamsRazor
sorry had my math wrong fixed...

• 3 weeks later...

Well this sucks for the Flyers but i thought someone might of been in his ear and trying to poach him from them.

It looks like Misha Vorobyev has signed in the KHL for next year and didn't come back over to continue this season.

To me i think they still tender him to retain his rights but it's not that big of a loss because i think Misha is just to soft to play in the NHL and he more than likely will never make it over here.

So if Fletcher maybe could somehow maybe flip him for a pick i would call it a success.

But it suck if the Flyers don't sign Kalynuk but i know he knows he has a steep battle ahead of him to carve out a spot on the Flyers blueline and more than likely will sign with a club like the Avs out west or something like that.