LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2019-2020

pilldoc

You got me looking down the list of the points in D1

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/199911/jordan-kawaguchi

This guy looks like he is unsigned and is turning into a scoring machine. 

Also, thinking about the draft.   Remember that Cole Caufield guy that fell in the Flyers lap?    Thank goodness the Flyers passed on him because he is sucking it up big time right now .... na just kidding, he's the 5th leading scoring (18g, 14a) in the NCCA D1..... as a Freshman.   He has over a ppg average at 1.14.    as a Freshman!   A small, little tiny guy of a freshman.  

Don't get me wrong, York is a good pick.  But we don't need York.  We need a high flying, shoot first winger that can snipe.  I think this one is going to hurt for a long time.

Edited by Digityman

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Don't get me wrong, York is a good pick.  But we don't need York. 

Sure not now but you figure he is a freshman too and is a few years away.

Caulfield is a nice goal scorer.

But at his size it is a big risk projecting to the NHL.

No one ever in the history of the draft has ever been selected his size at forward for where the Flyers drafted.

Defensemen take longer to develop and they are more valuable.

I guess my point is that our defense is young and should be fairly solid for the next 5+ years.   Forward is where the Flyers needed depth.   They could have taken a chance on the kid.   Is 1" or 2" really that big of difference?   I guess we should ask the ladies.... they would know.

Other notable small forwards.....

Henri The Pocket Rocket Richard.....5'7" 160lbs.   I think he did okay in the NHL

Mr Theoren Fleury - 5'6", 180lbs - him too

Brian Gionta - 5'7"

Mats Zuccarello 5'7"

Conor Sheary 5'8"

Cam Atkinson 5'8"

Martin St Louis 5'8" (on skates)

And Danny Briere himself.  I saw him not a little while back.  still short.  5'9"

On 2/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, OccamsRazor said:

No one ever in the history of the draft has ever been selected his size at forward for where the Flyers drafted.

You could say that about every position there is in the draft, until someone takes someone like that, starting with 1st overall and Patrick Kane.

I'm ok with York. But probably would have taken Caufield, Newhook or Krebs.

I think it's time to go in another direction at coach for this team....it's time...might not be the popular one.

But let's shake it up after this disappointing year.

Very disappointing year for Rubtsov.

Royals were in Maine Friday night.  Pascal Laberge was the only one that stood out to me.   He was much faster and had better control of the puck then any of the other guys.  Unfortunately McCollum was in net instead of Sandstrom or Ustimenko.    

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

those are 4 guys I would like to see in the system. 

Yes. I agree the Phantoms need their skillset to replenish the troops they have lost or will also be losing.

There are only so many c ok contracts they can hand out and there should be a few that are there now that won't be coming back.

I can see a guy like Friedman replacing Braun come next year at a fraction of the price.

It's why I see this maybe being a make or break time for Ghost the remainder of the year.

Hagg is up for a new deal too.

If Ghost doesn't show cast improvement I can see Chuckles using the offseason to move him and one of either of Jake or JVR more likely the latter.

Those are the type of moves you can make during the offseason at or after the draft.

Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. I agree the Phantoms need their skillset to replenish the troops they have lost or will also be losing.

There are only so many c ok contracts they can hand out and there should be a few that are there now that won't be coming back.

I can see a guy like Friedman replacing Braun come next year at a fraction of the price.

It's why I see this maybe being a make or break time for Ghost the remainder of the year.

Hagg is up for a new deal too.

If Ghost doesn't show cast improvement I can see Chuckles using the offseason to move him and one of either of Jake or JVR more likely the latter.

Those are the type of moves you can make during the offseason at or after the draft.

Just my 2 cents.

NAK is a RFA, Grant and Pitlick are UFA, thats three guys we need to sign, plus some of these college kids. We probaly cant afford Braun even if we wanted to keep him. We need to dump one big contract,  JVR is probably the best candidate. Jake is having a big year, so his value is probably the highest, but It will be tough to replace Jakes offense. Some offense can be replaced with NAK and Farabee improving next season.

• Like 1

@RonJeremy

The cap is going up so that will be helpful.

I don't know if all 3 of those guys get signed, There are many dudes with the ability to play those minutes who have had a year in the A to learn to be pros.... I wouldn't be surprised if Grant finds greener pastures. It seems to me like Pitlick is a Fletcher guy so he might be the "lock". I also don't think these guys will be be signing cap crippling contracts. I would like to see NAK resign here since the Flyers did develop him.

It is nice to have some depth so these decisions can be made more easily.

Wonder if Wisconsin freshman Alex Turcotte signing with the Kings sways Wyatt Kalynuk at all. #Flyers want to sign him. He’s thinking it over, or at least was as of yesterday. Disappointing season for the Badgers who had a star studded freshman class.

I attended the Phantoms loss on Wednesday and since the Flyers raided them they are beyond awful to watch.  They need to sign some better career AHLers to help the team win more so that the prospects that are there right now have more experience winning.  Fletch has whiffed on this aspect of the team according to the hardcore Phantoms fans I spoke with at the arena.  The career AHLers he signed have been huge stiffs so far.