Ollie Maatta to Chicago for Kahun & pick

https://www.tsn.ca/chicago-blackhawks-acquire-defenceman-olli-maatta-in-trade-with-pittsburgh-penguins-1.1323311

Blackhawks acquire D Maatta from Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have traded defenceman Olli Maatta to the Chicago Blackhawks for forward Dominik Kahun and a 2019 fifth-round pick, according to TSN hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

The 24-year-old Maatta scored one goal and added 13 assists in 60 games last season. He has spent his entire six-year NHL career with Pittsburgh, winning two Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.

Kahun, 23, is coming off his rookie campaign in which he scored 13 goals and added 24 assists in 82 games.

"Dominik had a great rookie season with the Blackhawks," Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. "He is a speedy, versatile player capable of playing all three forward positions. He also saw time on Chicago's power-play and penalty killing units. We are very excited for him to join our team."

Ollie Maatta Hockeydb

Dominik Kahun Hockeydb

Edited by ruxpin

I think that Maatta is one of the most overrated players in the game, the Pens have been great for a long time, he has been with the Pens for a long time so he gets on national TV a lot and has a really cool name. He had a solid rookie season, hasn't really done much of anything since, he is a third pair defender, nothing more. There are a lot of options as good or better for a lot less money.

Kahun is a decent middle six winger with blazing speed who excels 5 on 5 which is a desperate need for the Pens. Adding an extra pick as well is mind blowing.

• Like 1

I get what @yave1964is saying. But I also agree with crease that Maatta fills a defensive depth need. Maybe a change of scenery helps him, too.

And Pittsburgh does desperately need forward depth and the pick is good. 

Kind of like it both ways, myself. I've read some Chicago boards, and they generally hate it. Mostly because they liked the kid. 

The Pittsburgh boards are just talking about how cute Sidney is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I get what @yave1964is saying. But I also agree with crease that Maatta fills a defensive depth need. Maybe a change of scenery helps him, too.

Kind of like it both ways, myself. I've read some Chicago boards, and they generally hate it. Mostly because they liked the kid. 

I wouldn't expect a Pittsburgh fan to know much of anything beyond that.  Maatta has to deliver then, because you know if Kahun takes off with the Penguins that Chicago will be letting their team know they made a mistake.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wouldn't expect a Pittsburgh fan to know much of anything beyond that.  Maatta has to deliver then, because you know if Kahun takes off with the Penguins that Chicago will be letting their team know they made a mistake.  

I'm hoping that Kahun does well in Pittsburgh.

Especially coming off his rookie season he maybe here a while! Maybe Syd could get him a Cup or two! 😀

Let's hope Rutherford doesn't trade the pick.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I think that Maatta is one of the most overrated players in the game, the Pens have been great for a long time, he has been with the Pens for a long time so he gets on national TV a lot and has a really cool name. He had a solid rookie season, hasn't really done much of anything since, he is a third pair defender, nothing more. There are a lot of options as good or better for a lot less money.

Kahun is a decent middle six winger with blazing speed who excels 5 on 5 which is a desperate need for the Pens. Adding an extra pick as well is mind blowing.

This. Mattaa had the great rookie year and got by for the next few seasons on that "cred". The Pens won a few Cups so his shortcomings got lost in the shuffle. Don't get me wrong - I like the kid. By all accounts he works hard, good character, etc. Said all the right things when he was a healthy scratch. Beat cancer, too.  But...he's hurt alot and the Pens need the cap space. He's only 24 so there is certainly time for him to get better. I wish him the best.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 7:58 PM, yave1964 said:

I would have liked to see the Pens received a slightly higher draft pick in this year draft! I hope none of the Pens draft picks are traded away!

On 6/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, ruxpin said:

https://www.tsn.ca/chicago-blackhawks-acquire-defenceman-olli-maatta-in-trade-with-pittsburgh-penguins-1.1323311

Blackhawks acquire D Maatta from Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have traded defenceman Olli Maatta to the Chicago Blackhawks for forward Dominik Kahun and a 2019 fifth-round pick, according to TSN hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

The 24-year-old Maatta scored one goal and added 13 assists in 60 games last season. He has spent his entire six-year NHL career with Pittsburgh, winning two Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.

Kahun, 23, is coming off his rookie campaign in which he scored 13 goals and added 24 assists in 82 games.

"Dominik had a great rookie season with the Blackhawks," Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. "He is a speedy, versatile player capable of playing all three forward positions. He also saw time on Chicago's power-play and penalty killing units. We are very excited for him to join our team."

Ollie Maatta Hockeydb

Dominik Kahun Hockeydb

I hate to see Maattaa go! I was rooting for the kid since the cancer bit. Chitown maybe a good thing for him.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:43 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about?! I don't swing that way!

• Good Post 1